Connect with us

Headline

Israeli Strikes In Yemen’s Capital Kill Two, Say Rebels

Published

on

Israeli strikes in Yemen’s capital Sanaa on Sunday killed at least two people, according to the country’s Iran-backed Huthi rebels, who have repeatedly launched missiles and drones at Israel throughout the Gaza war.

AFP images showed a large fireball lighting up the skies over the rebel-held capital, leaving behind a column of thick, black smoke.

Advertisement

The Huthis’ health ministry reported “two martyrs and 35 wounded” in the Israeli raid.

A Huthi security source told AFP the air raid targeted a building in central Sanaa, while the group’s Al-Masirah TV reported that the two dead were killed in a strike on an oil company facility in the city.

READ ALSO:UK PM Starmer Urges Israel To Stop Gaza Assault

Advertisement

The channel said the targets also included a power station in Sanaa’s south that was previously hit last Sunday.

The Israeli army said it had struck a military compound where the presidential palace is located, along with two power stations and a fuel depot.

The strikes were “in response to repeated attacks by the Huthi terrorist regime against the State of Israel and its civilians”, including “in recent days”, it said.

Advertisement

Late Friday, the Huthis fired a missile that Israeli authorities said had “most likely fragmented in mid-air”.

Local Israeli media outlets, the Times of Israel and Ynet, citing the military, reported the missile carried a cluster warhead, the first of its kind known to have been fired from Yemen.

READ ALSO:Israeli Fire Kills 34 In Gaza

Advertisement

The Israeli defence ministry released a photo on Sunday showing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defence Minister Israel Katz and army chief Eyal Zamir following the strikes in Yemen from a command bunker.

In a statement released by his office, Netanyahu said the air force had struck “the presidential palace in the heart of the capital Sanaa, the city’s power plant and the fuel tanks that supply it”.

The terrorist Huthi regime is learning the hard way that it will pay — and has paid already — a very high price for its aggression against the State of Israel,” he said, adding “the whole region” was also learning a lesson in Israeli power.

Advertisement

In a statement from their political bureau, the Huthis vowed to respond, saying they would “not deviate from the fight” against Israel and its ally the United States “until the aggression stops and the (Israeli) blockade on Gaza is lifted”.

Iran’s foreign ministry on Sunday condemned the Israeli strikes.

READ ALSO:Israel Threatens To Level Gaza City Unless Hamas Disarms, Frees Hostages

Advertisement

Since the October 2023 start of the Israel-Hamas war in the Gaza Strip, the Huthis have repeatedly fired missiles and drones at Israel, claiming to be acting in solidarity with the Palestinians.

Most of the Huthi attacks have been intercepted, but they have prompted retaliatory Israeli air strikes on rebel targets in Yemen.

On August 17, Israel said it targeted an energy infrastructure site in Sanaa linked to the Huthis, with Al-Masirah reporting at the time the capital’s Haziz power station was hit.

Advertisement

The latest Israeli statement said the Haziz facility was targeted again on Sunday.

READ ALSO:Sean Kingston Sentenced To 3.5 Years In Prison Over Fraud

A photographer working with AFP reported significant damage after the August 17 strike.

Advertisement

Beyond attacks on Israel itself, the Huthis have also targeted ships they say are linked to the country in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden off Yemen.

The group broadened its campaign to target ships tied to the United States and Britain after the two countries began military strikes aimed at securing the waterway in January 2024.

In May, the rebels cemented a ceasefire with the United States that ended weeks of intense US strikes, but vowed to continue targeting Israeli ships.

Advertisement

Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said earlier this month that the Huthis would “pay with compound interest for every attempt to fire at Israel”.

Advertisement

Headline

Russia Hits Out At Macron For Calling Putin ‘Ogre’

Published

on

By

Moscow on Friday slammed Emmanuel Macron for what it called “vulgar insults”, after the French president called Russian leader Vladimir Putin a “predator” and “ogre”.

Macron warned European leaders not to trust Putin in an interview with the LCI broadcaster last week.

Advertisement

“For his own survival, (he) needs to keep eating … That means he is a predator, an ogre at our gates,” Macron said.

READ ALSO:Russia Claims More Ukraine Land As Hopes For Summit Fade

He made the comments after a landmark meeting with US President Donald Trump along with Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelensky and European allies in Washington.

Advertisement

Russia’s foreign ministry slammed the remarks: “They cross the line of not just reasonableness, but decency, becoming vulgar insults against Russia and its people,” spokeswoman Maria Zakharova told a televised briefing.

Moscow has long criticised France’s support for Ukraine and accused Paris of provoking the conflict. France has been one of Kyiv’s staunchest backers since Russia launched its full-scale military offensive in February 2022, supplying weapons and financial aid.

AFP

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Headline

Trump Moves To Cut More Foreign Aid, Risking Shutdown

Published

on

By

US President Donald Trump has moved to block $5 billion of congressionally-approved foreign aid, the White House said Friday — raising the likelihood of a federal shutdown as Democrats oppose the policy.

The cuts “affect programs of the Department of State and the United States Agency for International Development,” Trump wrote in a letter to the House of Representatives.

Advertisement

The Republican president “will always put AMERICA FIRST,” the White House Office of Management and Budget said on social media, releasing a copy of the letter.

The Trump administration has effectively dismantled USAID, the chief US foreign aid agency, since taking office.

READ ALSO:Russia Hits Ukraine With ‘Massive’ Deadly Overnight Strikes

Advertisement

Founded in 1961 as John F. Kennedy sought to leverage aid to win over the developing world in the Cold War, USAID has been incorporated into the State Department after Secretary of State Marco Rubio slashed 85 percent of its programming.

Trump, after taking office for the second time in January, launched a sweeping campaign to downsize or dismantle swaths of the US government.

Republicans control both chambers of Congress, but need Democrat support in the Senate to pass new spending laws.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Two US Pastors Arrested In $50m Human Trafficking, Fraud Case

Trump, deploying a little-tested legislative tactic, has sought to claw back the spending late in the fiscal year so that Congress may not have time to vote before the funding expires next month.

Democrats have warned that any attempt to reverse funding already approved by Congress would end any negotiations to avoid budgetary paralysis, the so-called shutdown, after September 30.

Advertisement

The United States last averted shutdown, with hours to spare, in March.

Shutdowns are rare but disruptive and costly, as everyday functions like food inspections halt, and parks, monuments and federal buildings shut up shop.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Headline

Trump Administration Proposes New Rule Limiting Nigerians, Others

Published

on

By

The Trump administration has unveiled a proposal that would restrict the length of time international students can remain in the United States for their studies.

According to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the regulation, which is expected to be published on Thursday, would impose a four-year cap on student visas and other categories of temporary admissions.

Advertisement

According to Fox News, the DHS said the proposal is part of efforts to curb “visa abuse” and strengthen the government’s ability to “properly vet and oversee these individuals.”

READ ALSO:Why I Plotted President Trump’s Assassination – 50-yr-old Woman

It added that some students have “taken advantage of U.S. generosity” and become “forever” students by staying enrolled in colleges to prolong their residence.

Advertisement

“For too long, past Administrations have allowed foreign students and other visa holders to remain in the U.S. virtually indefinitely, posing safety risks, costing untold amount of taxpayer dollars, and disadvantaging U.S. citizens,” a DHS spokesperson stated.

This new proposed rule would end that abuse once and for all by limiting the amount of time certain visa holders are allowed to remain in the U.S., easing the burden on the federal government to properly oversee foreign students and their history,” the spokesperson continued.

Currently, F visa holders may stay in the U.S. for the “duration of status,” meaning the period they are enrolled full-time. The new proposal would allow stays for the length of a programme but would not permit them to exceed four years, generally less than the time needed for postgraduate studies.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Trump, Putin Make No Breakthrough On Ukraine Deal, End Summit

Foreign journalists would also be affected. Under the plan, they would receive an initial admission period of 240 days, with the possibility of a single extension for another 240 days, but not longer than their assignment.

The DHS said regular assessments would provide “proper oversight” and help reduce the number of people residing in the U.S. on temporary visas.

Advertisement

But education experts warned the measure could hurt universities financially. International students typically pay higher tuition and have fewer opportunities for scholarships, which contributes significantly to the financial support of American colleges.

It will certainly act as an additional deterrent to international students choosing to study in the United States, to the detriment of American economies, innovation, and global competitiveness,” Fanta Aw, executive director and CEO of NAFSA: Association of International Educators, said in a statement to Politico.

­

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version