Connect with us

News

IYC, NDDC Disagree Over N3.8bn Non-existing Contracts

Published

on

The Ijaw Youths Council (IYC) Worldwide has disagreed with the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) for admitting that it awarded over N3.8bn contracts for procurement of health equipment to fight Lassa fever under the commission’s former Managing Director, Prof. Nelson Brambaifa.

The commission at the weekend disassociated itself from a document claiming that it awarded N5.5bn contract to Signora Concept Services Limited as claimed by the Ijaw Peoples Development Initiatives (IPDI) saying the document was fake and unauthorised.

Advertisement

But Odili admitted, “In early 2019, there was an outbreak of Lassa Fever in Ondo and Edo states, which overwhelmed the capacity of the state governments to cope.

“The governor of Ondo State made a request to the Commission for intervention. As a result, the then management, headed by Prof Nelson Braimbaifa on 20th February 2019 awarded a contract for the procurement of 21,000 Lassa Fever prevention kits for the region in the sum of N903 million. The items were supplied and distributed.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Top Banker Loses Life To COVID-19

Advertisement

“The contractor was duly paid. As the scourge persisted, there was need for further intervention. Another 1,000 protective kits were ordered for N1, 092,283,500. This contract was awarded on March 11, 2019. The last contract for Lassa Fever was awarded on April 16, 2019 in the sum of N2, 425,242,248.

“All the kits were supplied and distributed to the nine states. As at date, the Commission is yet to pay for this last contract. Payments had been suspended on ministerial order due to the need for verification of past contracts”.

Also, the Signora Concepts Services Limited while dismissing a report claiming that it was awarded N5.5bn contract by NDDC to supply Coronavirus personal protection equipment confirmed being among the companies that benefitted from the Lassa Fever contracts.

Advertisement

The firm in a statement signed by its Operation Manager, Patrick Ijeomah, explained that the commission under Brambaifa awarded Signora Concepts and 21 other companies contracts on Lassa Fever kits.

READ ALSO: Lockdown: Senator Donates N10m, 14, 000 Bags Of Grains To Constituents

He said, “Some of the materials are still in the warehouse of NDDC till date. Amount paid by a former IMC Acting Managing Director, Dr. Joy Nunich, was N2.9bn and a balance of N972million still outstanding.

Advertisement

“Contracts had various medical accessories ranging from Lassa Fever kits, cholera vaccines and science equipment. It is not true that these items were never supplied as all the companies involved supplied the items and those items were dully inspected by officials of the commission and also distributed to the various communities.

“It will be pertinent to mention that the supply of these items became necessary due to the floods that ravaged the communities of the Niger Delta, which increased the possibility of cholera and Lassa Fever outbreak and made it impossible for women in labour to deliver safely in the various community primary health centres”.

But the IYC in a statement signed by its Chairman, Transition Implementation Committee, Kennedy Olorogun, Secretary and a member of the committee, Frank Akiefa and James Tobin, said there was no evidence of such contracts in the region.

Advertisement

Olorogun regretted that successive management of the commission was marred by controversies especially in the area of fund management.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Bayelsa Converts Hospital Donated By Chevron To Isolation Centre

He said, “Recently, the council was alarmed to the effect that under the leadership of Prof. Nelson Brambaifa and Dr Joy Yimebe Nunieh, the Commission reportedly approved the sum of N2.9 bn with an outstanding balance of N972million for the purchase of medical facilities for Lassa Fever kits, Cholera vaccines and Science equipments.

Advertisement

“And the Commission admitted that these items were supplied and distributed to various communities in the region. Without mincing words, the council frowns at the opaque manner the management of the commission conducts its activities especially as it relates to the management and distribution of the financial resources meant for the development of the region.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the council is up in arms with the commission on the said humongous funds that was approved by the commission for the purchase of medical items that would have been utilized for the benefit of the people of the region but was fraudulently frittered away by the top echelon of the commission.

“At no time was the council intimated about the activities of the commission with respect to the distribution of medical items for maternity purposes. The council has a very efficient and robust administrative structure down to the communities across the States of the Niger Delta.

Advertisement

“Therefore, it is amazing to hear that the Commission distributed medical items to aid safe motherhood delivery in the region as a result of a ravaging flood that affected the region”.

READ ALSO: 29 Persons Convicted For Violating Curfew In Benin

Olorogun urged President Muhammadu Buhari and the National Assembly to probe the Lassa Fever contract and how the health equipment was disbursed in the region.

Advertisement

(Source: NATION)

(PHOTO: credit)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

News

Our Leaders Told Us Jonathan Isn’t Muslim, He Brought Boko Haram, Northerner Confesses

Published

on

By

The video of a Northerner sharing his view on Nigeria’s 2023 presidency is going viral.

The young man is trending for demanding a power shift from the North to the South next year.

Advertisement

Dressed in a native attire with a cap to match, he accused Northern leaders of misleading the people.

The citizen is a supporter of the Labour Party (LP) presidential candidate, Peter Obi.

He recalled they were told that ex-President Goodluck Jonathan was not a Muslim.

Advertisement

He also said the former leader was accused of being the mastermind of the dreaded Boko Haram sect.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Jonathan Not Among Screened Presidential Aspirants, Says APC

Parts of his words: “We were deceived during the time of Goodluck (Jonathan) that he was not a Muslim.

Advertisement

“We were told he was the one that brought Boko haram. Tribalism always happens when it comes to elections.

“Look at our northern brothers that have been in government for years, what good have they done for us?”, he quipped.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

How Three Ex-bank Workers Planned With Hackers To Steal N20bn – Witness

Published

on

By

The trial of three former workers with the First Bank of Nigeria facing attempted fraud charges before a Lagos State Special Offences Court, Ikeja, continued on Wednesday.

The defendants, Ozioma Ugorji, 35; Ugwu Emeka, 32; and Obike Chukwuka, 38, were arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission for allegedly attempting to steal N20bn from the bank.

Advertisement

PUNCH Metro learnt that the defendants conspired to tap into the bank’s server to grant access to a syndicate.

They were, however, apprehended by the EFCC on March 6, 2021, following an intelligence report.

During cross examination by one of the defence counsel, Uchenna Ozoagbo, a prosecution witness, Adamu Dahiru, told the court that the defendants were apprehended after one of them connected a laptop he collected from the syndicate to the bank’s server.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Electoral Act: Reps React To Dismissal Of Buhari’s Suit Against National Assembly By Supreme Court

He said, “They conspired to give access to a fraudster to defraud the bank of over N20bn. The report we gathered was that the money was in the cloud and they needed to bring it out.

“The second defendant (Emeka) had a meeting with the syndicate at a hotel.

Advertisement

“When the first defendant (Ugorji) was arrested, he made a statement that he was introduced to the syndicate by the third defendant (Chukwuka) and that they had communicated with someone from the headquarters.

“The second defendant made a statement that a laptop was given after several promises that he should connect the laptop to the bank’s system.

“When he was on duty, he connected the laptop to the banking system, but during the connection, the I.P. of the laptop was picked up and the system was destroyed.”

Advertisement

The judge, S.O. Solebo, adjourned the case till October 5, 2022, for continuation of trial.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

ICPC Clarifies Discovering Billions In Buratai’s Home

Published

on

By

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) on Friday clarified report that it recovered N170 million cash, $220,965, G-Wagon from the residence of Nigerian Ambassador to Benin Republic, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai.

Reports had it that the ICPC recovered N1.85 billion from a house and office said to belong to Buratai in Abuja.

Advertisement

The huge sum said to have been recovered was part of the billions of naira earmarked for the purchase of arms and ammunition by the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government.

But the spokesperson of the commission, Azuka Ogugua, denied that the house belonged to Buratai.

According to Ogugua, facts available indicates that the property is owned by owner of K Salam Construction Company, a military contractor.

Advertisement

“The attention of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has been drawn to some inaccurate and concocted reports in the media about the seizure of multibillion-naira cash, dollars, Rolex watches stockpiled in an Abuja property.

“The Commission wishes to state that ICPC operatives raided a property in Wuse 2 of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, on Thursday, 16th June, 2022 between 5:00pm and 12:00am on suspicion of money laundering. Facts available for the time being indicates that the property is owned by owner of K Salam Construction Company, a military contractor,” Ogugua said.

READ ALSO: Buhari Told To Sack, Arrest Buratai Over Alleged N1.85bn Arms Fund

Advertisement

The Commission added that it recovered N175,706,500; $220,965; G-Wagon; 2022 editions of BMW and Mercedes Benz cars; customized mobile phones; several designer wrist watches, three Rolexes, and some property documents from the house.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending