Education
JAMB Sets New Guidelines For UTME
Published
3 years agoon
By
Editor
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board said it had come out with new guidelines to ensure seamless conduct of future operational processes, including the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination.
The board made this known in its Weekly Bulletin of the Office of the Registrar on Monday in Abuja.
The board said the development was released in a communiqué issued at the end of a five-day brainstorming retreat for management staff held from Sept. 19 to Sept. 23 in Abuja.
It added that the modifications included new ways to further strengthen the conduct of the UTME accreditation centres, registration of candidates, examination process, results management and general administration.
READ ALSO: JAMB Scraps Mop-up UTME, Insists On No Bio-metric, No Examination
“It became necessary for the board to modify its operations towards achieving far-reaching improvements on various issues emanating from the registration process and biometric challenges, among other operational procedures.
“Hence, no new Computer-Based Test centre would be accredited without meeting the new requirements.
“To this end, new CBT centres must use laptop computer systems as clients, zero thin-dients or Remote Desktop Protocol would no longer be accepted.”
The communiqué, JAMB added, “further reiterated that no CBT centre must install any clients with less than 2 gigabyte (2GB) RAM.
“It is now mandatory that Autobot system should be used for the accreditation of CBT centres; there should be three Autobot tests: Pre-accreditation during Mock – UTME and the dummy examination.”
This, JAMB said, would be held a day before the UTME to confirm the readiness of the centre.
The board noted that another key reason for the decision was to prevent IP address duplication and abuse.
It also said that one of the resolutions at the retreat was the decision to widen the scope of accredited CBT centres.
Each of the centres, the board said, would now have two additional registration outlets within their state of operation.
Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, Registrar, JAMB was quoted in the statement to have warned that, cybercafes and tutorial centres had been prohibited from participating in any of the board’s exercises.
Oloyede said that no CBT centre would be allowed to collaborate with the prohibited group, adding that any violation of the directive, whether in part or whole, would lead to the revocation of the licence of the erring CBT centre.
The registrar was further quoted as saying that biometrics of all accredited CBT centre registration officers would be captured ahead of the exercise.
This, he explained, was because the board as a proactive agency must move with the tide to stay ahead of the machinations of cheats and safeguard the integrity of the system.
On registration and biometrics, the registrar said that, at the registration point, candidates with bad fingerprints would be scheduled for the examination as “Exemption Candidates”.
“Their registration slips would be colour-coded and visually different from those for other candidates.
“Such candidates would sit their examination in Abuja on the last date of the national examination calendar and their results would not be released until after being subjected to proper scrutiny.
“Furthermore, as a requirement for printing registration slips, a candidate must use at least two fingers and any of the two fingers taken would be used for biometric verification prior to entering the examination hall on the day of the examination.”
READ ALSO: JAMB Makes A U-turn, Reschedules UTME Registration
He further directed that the two verifiable fingers of all candidates must be consecutively indicated on the candidates’ registration and examination slips.
The Registrar also said that to further consolidate its data collection efforts, the board would consider separating UTME registration from that of Direct Entry beginning from 2023.
He added that to further condone illegal admissions and printing of indemnity forms, all candidates’ registrations, including UTME, DE and others, must be completed with fingerprint authentication.
He said: “The same must be used for the printing of registration slips and indemnity forms while Institutions must declare and provide the list of candidates admitted behind closed doors before the affected candidates could apply for condonement of Undisclosed Illegal Institutional Admissions.”
You may like
FULL LIST: Top 10 Highest Scorers In 2025 UTME
JAMB Sets Cut-off Mark For University Admissions
BREAKING: FG Officially Releases Age Limit For Admission Into Tertiary Institutions
JAMB Releases Results Of Mop-up Examination
2025 UTME Mop-Up: 85,790 Candidates Haven’t Printed Exam Slips – JAMB
From 158 To 351: Lagos Teen Excels In UTME After Initial Glitch
Education
HOMEF Decries Alarming Rate Of Malnutrition, Food Insecurity
Published
6 months agoon
March 1, 2025By
Editor
Health of Mother Earth Foundation (HOMEF), has decried the alarming rate of malnutrition and food insecurity in nations of the world, lamenting that Nigeria tops the list.
According to HOMEF, rather than directly addressing the challenges of malnutrition and food insecurity, the government of Nigeria is focused on the deployment of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) as a solution to food insecurity.
INFO DAILY reports that HOMEF’s research of 2023 reveals that Abuja tops the list of GM food with 16 products followed by Lagos with 12 products while 11 products were captured in Port Harcourt on the chart.
Benin City and Warri followed on the chart with 9 and 8 products respectively while Yenagoa, Uyo and Enugu had 4, 3 and 1 products in their respective markets during the research.
READ ALSO: HOMEF Organizes Reading Series, Wants Nigerians Pick Ideas From Books To Better The Environment
Speaking at the organization’s Sustain- Ability Academy on Food Justice and Restoration which was held at the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Benin, Dr. Nnimmo Bassey, the Executive Director, HOMEF, Tasked Nigerians to challenge “current narratives in favour of industrial agriculture.”
Speaking on the theme: Food Justice and Restoration, Bassey, said the
current narratives of hunger in Nigeria and Africa require urgent in-depth interrogation, just as he attributed hunger in Nigeria to the persistent violence in the northeastern states of Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe (BAY).
Bassey added: “According to the Food and Agriculture Organisation, up 33.1 million Nigerians are projected to be food insecure in 2025.
“This projection is based on a number of factors namely: economic hardship, coupled with record high inflation (which reached 40.9 per cent for food in June 2024), climate change impacts, particularly foods, which directly impact the rising costs of both food and essential non-food commodities and services.
READ ALSO: Food Crisis: HOMEF, GMOs-Free Nigeria Train Abuja Farmers, CSOs, Others On Agroecology
He continued: “Persistent violence in the northeastern states of Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe (BAY) hinders food availability and access. Additionally, armed banditry and kidnapping in the Northwest and farmer-harder conflict in the North-Central states, including Zamfara, Kastina, Sokoto, Kaduna, Benue, Plateau and Niger, exacerbate the prevailing economic struggles,” he stressed.
The Executive Director, therefore, charged the Nigerian government to “protect the rights of people to safe food and a healthy environment irrespective of their social or financial status.”
“We all contribute by making healthy food choices, supporting agroecological initiatives, and advocating for policy reforms,” he added.
Earlier, the Dean, Faculty of Agriculture, UNIBEN, Prof. Chris Omokaro, said a Professor of Agricultural Economic it pleases him that the programme focuses on GMO, and urged Nigerians to interrogate if GMOs follow the natural principle of breeding.
Education
18-year-old UNILORIN Student Becomes Chartered a Accountant
Published
7 months agoon
January 18, 2025By
Editor
18 year-old student of the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN), Department of Accounting, Miss Faith Aduragbemi Olabisi, has qualified as a chartered accountant.
According to the bulletin of the university, the feat was described as a rare display of the superlative service delivery obtainable at the University of Ilorin.
The statement said that Miss Olabisi is one of the several candidates who were successful in the November 2024 professional examinations of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN).
Speaking on the development, Miss Olabisi said that it had always been her dream to become a chartered accountant as soon as possible.
READ ALSO: UNILORIN Expels Student For Demanding Ransom From Parents Of Missing Colleague
Miss Olabisi appreciated the support of her lecturers and mother who provided her with the necessary motivation needed to attain the feat at her age.
Also speaking on this rare feat, the acting head of the Department of Accounting, Dr Segun Abogun, said that he was very impressed with what he called “Miss Olabisi’s Outstanding Achievement.”
He explained that Miss Olabisi is one of the several students of the department that passed the ICAN professional examinations last year.
Dr Abogun encouraged Miss Olabisi and her colleagues to continue to serve as role models to others for the department to produce more chartered accountants among them, even before their graduation from the institution.
Reacting to the development, the vice chancellor, Professor Wahab Olasupo Egbewole, SAN, expressed delight with the laudable achievement of the Unilorite.
READ ALSO: UNILAG To Graduate 16,409 Students, Two With Perfect 5.0 CGPA
In a statement issued by the institution’s director of Corporate Affairs, Mr Kunle Akogun, the VC, who said that he was not surprised with the performance of Miss Olabisi, said that the institution had always produced record-breaking professionals among its students, staff, and alumni.
The vice chancellor, who is also the secretary-general of the association of West African Universities (AWAU), explained that it is performances like that of Miss Olabisi and the enduring peace within the university that had made it the nation’s most sought-after.
Professor Egbewole congratulated Miss Olabisi for making herself, family, institution and womanhood proud as he encouraged her to continue to give her best to her studies and to remain a shining role-model not only in learning but also in character.
The VC also encouraged other students of the institution to emulate Miss Olabisi for them to also succeed in their academic and professional endeavours
Education
2025 UTME/DE Registration Yet To Begin, Says JAMB
Published
8 months agoon
January 15, 2025By
Editor
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has announced that registration for the 2025 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Direct Entry (DE) has not yet begun.
In a statement posted on its official X account on Wednesday, JAMB assured candidates that the registration process details would be announced soon.
The post reads: “Attention prospective 2025 UTME/DE candidates! Kindly note that registration has not commenced. However, details on the exercise would be announced soon.
READ ALSO: NASS Queries JAMB Over N1.85bn Spendings On Meals, Insecticide, Others
“You can get your NIN ahead and a phone number that has not been previously used to register on our platform to generate your profile code prior the time.”
In another development, JAMB revealed that The Lekki Headmaster by Kabir Alabi Garba will be the recommended text for the 2025 UTME Use of English examination.
“Attention prospective 2025 UTME candidates! This is to inform you that The Lekki Headmaster by Kabir Alabi Garba has been approved as the reading text for the Use of English,” JAMB said.
“Details on the UTME/DE registration shall be released shortly. Kindly be on the lookout for updates.”
- Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs
- Lawyers Fault EFCC Statement, Say It’s Misleading
- Tricycle Riders Sentenced To Five Years Over WhatsApp Group Mobilising Protest Against Nigerian Gov
- Ebonyi Raises Minimum Wage From N70,000 To N90,000
- Trump Administration Proposes New Rule Limiting Nigerians, Others
- Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
- Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
- Enugu Vigilantes Beat Young Man To Death Over Alleged Stealing Of Woman’s Clothes
- BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
- Russia Hits Ukraine With ‘Massive’ Deadly Overnight Strikes
Trending
- News5 days ago
DSS Issues Warning, Arrests Man For Circulating Fake Recruitment Materials
- Politics3 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- Politics5 days ago
2027: You Will Lose 80% Of Northern Muslim Votes If…, APC Forum Warns Tinubu
- News3 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Politics5 days ago
Primate Ayodele Releases Fresh Prophecies On FIRS, FAAN, Others
- Headline3 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- Metro4 days ago
UNIZIK Suspends Doctors, Nurses, Security Personnel Over 100-level Student’s Death
- News5 days ago
‘Na Only People You Gave Work Love You,’ Singer Speed Darlington Tells Tinubu
- Headline3 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics3 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South