Connect with us

Education

JAMB Sets New Guidelines For UTME

Published

on

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board said it had come out with new guidelines to ensure seamless conduct of future operational processes, including the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination.

The board made this known in its Weekly Bulletin of the Office of the Registrar on Monday in Abuja.

Advertisement

The board said the development was released in a communiqué issued at the end of a five-day brainstorming retreat for management staff held from Sept. 19 to Sept. 23 in Abuja.

It added that the modifications included new ways to further strengthen the conduct of the UTME accreditation centres, registration of candidates, examination process, results management and general administration.

READ ALSO: JAMB Scraps Mop-up UTME, Insists On No Bio-metric, No Examination

Advertisement

“It became necessary for the board to modify its operations towards achieving far-reaching improvements on various issues emanating from the registration process and biometric challenges, among other operational procedures.

“Hence, no new Computer-Based Test centre would be accredited without meeting the new requirements.

“To this end, new CBT centres must use laptop computer systems as clients, zero thin-dients or Remote Desktop Protocol would no longer be accepted.”

Advertisement

The communiqué, JAMB added, “further reiterated that no CBT centre must install any clients with less than 2 gigabyte (2GB) RAM.

It is now mandatory that Autobot system should be used for the accreditation of CBT centres; there should be three Autobot tests: Pre-accreditation during Mock – UTME and the dummy examination.”

This, JAMB said, would be held a day before the UTME to confirm the readiness of the centre.

Advertisement

The board noted that another key reason for the decision was to prevent IP address duplication and abuse.

It also said that one of the resolutions at the retreat was the decision to widen the scope of accredited CBT centres.

Each of the centres, the board said, would now have two additional registration outlets within their state of operation.

Advertisement

Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, Registrar, JAMB was quoted in the statement to have warned that, cybercafes and tutorial centres had been prohibited from participating in any of the board’s exercises.

Oloyede said that no CBT centre would be allowed to collaborate with the prohibited group, adding that any violation of the directive, whether in part or whole, would lead to the revocation of the licence of the erring CBT centre.

The registrar was further quoted as saying that biometrics of all accredited CBT centre registration officers would be captured ahead of the exercise.

Advertisement

This, he explained, was because the board as a proactive agency must move with the tide to stay ahead of the machinations of cheats and safeguard the integrity of the system.

On registration and biometrics, the registrar said that, at the registration point, candidates with bad fingerprints would be scheduled for the examination as “Exemption Candidates”.

Their registration slips would be colour-coded and visually different from those for other candidates.

Advertisement

“Such candidates would sit their examination in Abuja on the last date of the national examination calendar and their results would not be released until after being subjected to proper scrutiny.

“Furthermore, as a requirement for printing registration slips, a candidate must use at least two fingers and any of the two fingers taken would be used for biometric verification prior to entering the examination hall on the day of the examination.”

READ ALSO: JAMB Makes A U-turn, Reschedules UTME Registration

Advertisement

He further directed that the two verifiable fingers of all candidates must be consecutively indicated on the candidates’ registration and examination slips.

The Registrar also said that to further consolidate its data collection efforts, the board would consider separating UTME registration from that of Direct Entry beginning from 2023.

He added that to further condone illegal admissions and printing of indemnity forms, all candidates’ registrations, including UTME, DE and others, must be completed with fingerprint authentication.

Advertisement

He said: “The same must be used for the printing of registration slips and indemnity forms while Institutions must declare and provide the list of candidates admitted behind closed doors before the affected candidates could apply for condonement of Undisclosed Illegal Institutional Admissions.”

Advertisement

Advertisement
Comments

Education

Edo NAPPS Distances Self From Viral Video Insulting Obaseki, Calls For Probe

Published

on

By

The National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools (NAPPS), Edo State chapter, has disclaimed and distanced itself from a viral video wherein the Governor of Edo State, Mr. Godwin Obaseki was insulted and lampooned.

This followed a video circulating online wherein NAPPS in Edo State was called upon to reject all PDP candidates linked to Governor Godwin Obaseki.

Advertisement

In the video already trending online, they (NAPPS) alleged that Obaseki is deliberately destroying their business after giving him all the support during the 2020 governorship election.

They further accused the state Governor of introducing damaging taxes and fees on on them

But a statement signed by Reuben Ekhosuehi, Chairman NAPPS Edo State, said: “We have observed with total dismay the attitude of some faceless group of people trying to drag the name of State Chairman, Hon. Ekhosuehi Reuben Ikponmwen and the National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools, Edo State in a muddy water.

Advertisement

“We want to state categorically that we disassociate ourselves from the trendy video and audio messages castigating our amiable Governor, His Excellency, Mr Godwin Enogheghase Obaseki, and the Hon. Commissioner for Education, Dr Joan Osa Oviawe.”

Comrade Ikponmwen explained: “We will never do anything to bring down the reputation of our state Governor, and the State Ministry of Education.As law abiding citizens, we are aware of the right avenue of negotiating with the government on any issue pertaining to the welfare of our union and that of the development of Education in the state and not to embark on cheap blackmail.

READ ALSO: NYSC Deploys 1,250 Corps Members To Bauchi

Advertisement

“We hereby urge the State to use all possible means to investigate the source of this publication in order to bring the culprits to book.It should be noted that the chairman of NAPPS, Edo State Chapter is a card carrying member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), who is also aspiring for a political position in the state in the fourth coming election.

“He will not be so naive to champion a course that is asking for Edo people not to vote for any PDP candidate in the 2023 elections. We see this publication as political motivated to tannish the image of our able Chairman and to put our association at a logger Head with the state government.

“We implore the government to take this issue serious in order to get to the root of this matter as the author refused to sign any of the publications.

Advertisement

“Our Association as a registered body will not work under unanimous. We are responsible and established to assist the government in rendering educational services to our people and not to condemn and fight the government. We remain loyal and committed to the government of the state,” he stressed.

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Education

BREAKING: ASUU Receives Full Salaries For November, Arrears Withheld

Published

on

By

Lecturers under the aegis of the Academic Staff Union of Universities have received full salaries for the month of November 2022.

It was also gathered that the eight month arrears remained withheld by the Federal Government.

Advertisement

A senior member of the union at the Bayero University Kano made this known in an interview with The PUNCH in Abuja on Wednesday.

“Some of our members have started receiving salaries and I can confirm to you that we received our full salaries for the month of November. However, the arrears are still withheld.”

The PUNCH reports that the Federal Government refused to pay the striking lecturers for the eight months which the union embarked on strike.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: ASUU: Fresh Protests Rock Universities As FG Remains Adamant

The lecturers, in October 2022 were also paid pro-rata (half-pay) according to the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige.

Lecturers across the country have been protesting against this decision by the Federal Government.

Advertisement

The National Executive Council of the union is expected to hold a crucial meeting in the coming days over the withheld salaries.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Education

ASUU: Fresh Protests Rock Universities As FG Remains Adamant

Published

on

By

Fresh revelations have indicated that there is no end in sight to resolving the intractable dispute between members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, and the Federal Government.

That the Federal Government’s hard stance on “no work, no pay policy” could fuel another round of crisis in the education sector.

Advertisement

Recall that ASUU had called off its eight-month-old strike in October following an intervention by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila.

Gbajabiamila had brokered peace between the Federal government and ASUU after all negotiations had failed.

Within a few days of his mediation, Gbajabiamila negotiated an acceptable agreement between the duo, with a promise that the government would pay the university workers their withheld salaries for the months they were on strike.

Advertisement

However, early in November, the members of the Union were bewildered following the payment of half salaries for only 18 working days in the month of October to its members by the Federal Government.

READ ALSO: Students Loan Bank: Gbajabiamila Responds To Opposition By ASUU

Speaking on why ASUU members were paid half salaries for the month of October, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, in a statement issued by his ministry, said the lecturers were paid in pro-rata for the number of days that they worked in October, counting from the day that they suspended their industrial action.

Advertisement

Recall that the Federal government had insisted on implementing the ‘No Work, No Pay’ policy for the period the university workers were away from their duty posts.

However, nearly two months after the academic staff members returned to work, they have continued to lament the unyielding response of the government to their withheld salaries.

Not relenting on their struggle, ASUU mandated its branches to hold a one-day nationwide protest over the payment of half salaries to lecturers by the Federal Government in October, with ASUU members at the University of Lagos (UNILAG), University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN), University of Ibadan (UI), amongst others, protesting.

Advertisement

Members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Ibadan Zone, which comprises the University of Ibadan (UI), Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Ogbomoso and the University of Ilorin, protested on Monday against what they described as the victimisation of their members by the federal government and its agents.

Speaking with journalists during the protest, the Chairman of ASUU, University of Ibadan, Professor Ayoola Akinwole, lamented that despite reaching an agreement with the Speaker, which led to the suspension of the strike, none of the items on the said agreement had been implemented.

He said, “The agreement with the Speaker included the following: The government is going to sign the new salary package, payment of the withheld salaries from March to October 2022

Advertisement

“Payment of the withheld third-party deductions, including Check-off dues from March to October 2022, non-victimisation of ASUU members who took part in the strike.

“Today’s protest has become necessary due to our conviction that the federal government is on a mission to destroy the public universities through inadequate funding and through its war against ASUU.”

He maintained that ASUU has had a historical responsibility to protect the public universities from collapse and fight for its members and the interest of Nigerian students.

Advertisement

Speaking to the DAILY POST on the same issue, the ASUU-UNN branch chairman, Comrade Christian Opata lamented that the government has not been serious about the issue of education.

He said, “The issue is that the government is not being serious about the issue of education in Nigeria, because, one, they pleaded with us to honour the court, knowing that ASUU is a very patriotic and legal organisation; we are law-abiding citizens.

“Yes, we know that there is a subsisting court order, but if we wanted to disobey that court order, we had every right to disobey it because it is a question of our rights.

Advertisement

“The same government that is saying obey the court order, there are many court orders which they have not obeyed. And what is even the bone of contention is something that is legal- an agreement that was signed – and you reneged on it. You reneged on an agreement, and somebody you signed an agreement with is telling you to implement the agreement, and you turn around to punish the person saying the person is obdurate. Well, I don’t know where to situate that.

“So the disappointment even starts from the point of view that the government reneged on an agreement it signed willingly.”

On how the Union members have been coping given the government’s stance, Opata disclosed that many of his colleagues have not let the issue affect their productivity at workplace.

Advertisement

“The issue is that many of them have been teaching, and I am even surprised that many of them are teaching happily. I thought that some of them would be grudging and even victimising students. But even to my knowledge, it has not happened within my university community. The students have been going to classes and having their exams. Some have even finished their exams.

“Tomorrow they shall continue because most of our members did not go for exams today because of this issue of our rally; we held a protest today. So that does not mean that we are on strike; they did it because it is part of the meeting being held.

READ ALSO: ASUU: Knocks Trail FG’s Varsities Resumption Order

Advertisement

“The issue is that, for now, they are teaching, our members are teaching. They are attending to students and their projects, even the postgraduate students (Masters and Ph.d),” he said.

On whether the Union will embark on another strike if the government failed to pay them the withheld salaries, he said, “No individual chairperson can decide that because it is only when we meet and we have a decision on that; no branch chairperson can speak on behalf of NEC.”

As it stands, amidst starvation and hunger, members of the Union have vowed not to let down the gauntlet in their lingering fight with the Federal government until their demands are met.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending