Connect with us

Metro

JUST IN: Another Catholic Priest Kidnapped

Published

on

Another Catholic priest identified as Rev Fr Emmanuel Silas was abducted in Kauru Local Government Area of Kaduna State early hours of Monday.

Fr Silas, who is in charge of St. Charles Catholic Church, Zambina in Kauru LGA, was reported missing after he failed to appear for morning mass.

The Chancellor, Kafanchan Catholic Diocese, Rev. Fr. Emmanuel Okolo disclosed the sad news in a statement on Monday.

Advertisement

He, however, urged the christian community to remain calm as legitimate processes are being exploited to ensure his safe and quick release.

READ ALSO: Again, Two Catholic Priests Abducted In Edo

Fr Okolo was quoted to have said in the statement: “It is with great pain that we announce to you the kidnapping of our Priest, Rev. Fr. Emmanuel Silas. The sad event is believed to have occurred in the early hours of July 04, 2022, when he could not turn up for morning Mass.

Advertisement

“He was abducted from the parish rectory at St. Charles Catholic Church, Zambina, in Kauru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

“While we solicit for an intense prayer for his quick and safe release, we equally wish to call on all and sundry to refrain from taking the laws into their hands. We will use every legitimate means to ensure his quick and safe release.”

Lately bandits have been unleashing mayhem on christians in the state, mostly targeting catholic priests.

Advertisement

Barely two weeks ago, Reverend Father Vitus Borogo was killed and his brother abducted by bandits while working on his farm. He was laid to rest last week in the state capital.

READ ALSO: Edo: Gunmen Invade Catholic Priest’s Residence, Whisk Him Away

Other catholic priests were also kidnapped in Katsina, Edo among other states between last month and now, amidst rising spate of attacks on Christian community by the hoodlums in recent times.

Advertisement

Metro

Army, Air Force Crush ISWAP Fighters After Failed Chibok Attack

Published

on

Troops of the 28 Task Force Brigade, Sector 4 Operation Hadin Kai, on Saturday stopped a major attack by ISWAP/Boko Haram fighters in Chibok, Borno State, before the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) moved in with airstrikes that killed many of the fleeing terrorists.

The report was contained in a post shared on X by security analyst Zagazola Makama.

According to the update, more than 300 terrorists launched a coordinated assault on Chibok around 3:00 a.m., attempting to break through military defensive positions.

Advertisement

Soldiers responded immediately, engaging the attackers in a fierce gunfight that lasted about two hours.

READ ALSO:Army Releases List Of Shortlisted Candidates For SSC Course

A security source quoted in the post said the troops acted swiftly and professionally.

Advertisement

There was no casualty on our side, and no equipment was affected,” the source said.

As the terrorists began to retreat toward the Timbuktu Triangle, ground troops called for air support.

NAF combat aircraft were deployed to the route used by the fleeing fighters.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:NAF Redeploys 25 Senior Officers

The airstrikes, guided by intelligence from the troops on the ground, hit several clusters of terrorists trying to escape.

Multiple waves of strikes were carried out, with both manned aircraft and an unmanned aerial platform targeting groups of fighters dispersing into the forest.

Advertisement

According to Makama, the combined efforts of the Army and the Air Force dealt heavy blows to the attackers, preventing them from regrouping after the failed offensive.

Continue Reading

Metro

Tanker Crash Kills Three, Fire Razes Shops In Kano

Published

on

Three people died on Friday after a petrol tanker crashed and caught fire in Kura Local Government Area of Kano State, while a separate blaze destroyed shops at Hamisu Plaza along Maiduguri Road.

The incidents were detailed in a statement issued on Saturday by the Public Relations Officer of the Kano State Fire Service, ACFO Saminu Yusif Abdullahi.

According to the statement, the first accident occurred around 1:30 p.m. when the agency received a call from retired Civil Defence officer Danlami Muhammad.

Advertisement

He reported that a tanker had fallen at the Kura market junction along Zaria Road.

READ ALSO:

Firefighters rushed from the headquarters to the scene and found a petrol tanker with the registration number NGZ 250 XA carrying about 30,000 litres of fuel. The tanker had overturned, caught fire and struck a cyclist who was on the road.

Advertisement

“The incident affected four people. Three of the victims were found unconscious and were later confirmed dead, while the cyclist managed to escape alive,” the Fire Service said.

Firefighters, working with the police and the Federal Road Safety Corps, brought the situation under control.

The victims were handed over to ASP Ahmad Lawan of the Kura Police Division.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Five Injured As Tanker, Bus Collide In Lagos

Two fire trucks, one from the headquarters and another from the Kura station responded to the call. The cause of the crash is still being investigated.

The second incident happened around 2:45 p.m. after the control room received a distress call from Fire Assistant III Ahmad Gwangwazo, reporting a fire at Hamisu Plaza in Taruni LGA.

Advertisement

On arrival, firefighters found a two-storey commercial building measuring about 200 by 200 feet with flames coming from the upper floor.

The fire affected three shops, while two others were saved,” the statement said.

The team was able to prevent the fire from spreading to the remaining shops on the first floor and the entire ground floor.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Petrol Tanker Explodes In Ibadan

A fire truck stationed at the ongoing trade fair also joined the operation. The cause of this fire is also under investigation.

The Director of the Kano State Fire Service, Alhaji Sani Anas, urged residents to be extra careful, especially during the harmattan season.

Advertisement

“He is appealing to the general public to handle fire with care to avoid disasters.

“He further urged motorists to drive calmly and follow traffic rules to prevent accidents that may lead to loss of life or property,” the statement added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Protest In Enugu Community As gunmen Kidnap Five Villagers, Injure One

Published

on

Some women in Ezimo community, Udenu Local Government Area of Enugu State, on Saturday, staged a protest over the alleged kidnap of five residents and the shooting of another during an attack on the community.

The protesters, who marched through major parts of the community, said the incident had heightened fear and insecurity in the area.

One victim of the attack is currently receiving treatment in the hospital.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Enugu Gov Mbah Set to Dump PDP

A social media influencer, ‘Sen.’ Chijinkem Ugwuanyi, made this known via Facebook on Saturday.

Ugwuanyi revealed that resident who confirmed the incident said recent cases of abductions and shootings had left the community unsafe, prompting the women to demand urgent government intervention.

Advertisement

In a video shared on Ugwuanyi’s Facebook page, the protesters called on the Enugu State Government and security agencies to step in and restore peace, warning that residents could no longer live under constant fear of attacks.

Continue Reading

Trending