Connect with us

Sports

JUST IN: Real Madrid Win La Liga Title

Published

on

Real Madrid won La Liga on Saturday after beating Cadiz 3-0 before Girona defeated last year’s champions Barcelona 4-2 to seal Los Blancos’ triumph.

Carlo Ancelotti’s side did their homework against the Andalucian stragglers to virtually guarantee a record-extending 36th Spanish title, confirmed when Barcelona dropped points at Montilivi.

Advertisement

Girona’s dramatic victory saw the Catalan minnows qualify for the Champions League for the first time in their history.

Brahim Diaz netted in the 51st minute to put Madrid ahead and then set up Jude Bellingham for the second, with Joselu tapping home a third to leave Madrid on the cusp of the title.

READ ALSO: Why I Refused To Return Govt Vehicles – Ex-Edo Gov, Shaibu

Advertisement

“We leave our skins out there on the pitch to live moments like today’s, we are so close to the league,” Joselu told Real Madrid TV.

There are young players who are very hungry for titles, veterans who are delighted to be here… and these are special moments.”

Ancelotti played a heavily rotated side ahead of the Champions League semi-final second leg against Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

Advertisement

The coach selected only captain Nacho Fernandez from the starting line-up that earned a 2-2 draw in Bavaria this week.

Belgian goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois started for the first time after a nine-month lay off after a knee injury and kept a clean sheet.

Madrid midfielder Luka Modric became the oldest player to appear for the club in La Liga, at 38 years and 238 days, breaking late Hungarian great Ferenc Puskas’ record from 1965 by five days.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: BREAKING: Arsenal Face Bayern As City Draw Madrid In UCL Quarter-finals

Madrid striker Joselu came close to reaching a dangerous cross and Chris Ramos fired off target for the visitors in an otherwise slow start at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Ruben Sobrino barged his way past Eder Militao on the counter-attack after half an hour but Nacho slid in well to thwart him as he prepared to shoot.

Advertisement

The visitors, 18th and still battling to stay up, shaded the first half, although Dani Ceballos had a shot blocked after Cadiz goalkeeper Jeremias Ledesma went walkabout at a corner.

– ‘Waiting for this day’ –

Courtois made a superb save to deny Ramos early in the second half and his team took the lead immediately afterwards.

Advertisement

The Cadiz striker shook free of Nacho and ran in on goal but Courtois produced a superb save.

READ ALSO: Injury Crisis ‘Can Motivate Us’, Says Real Madrid Boss Ancelotti

Moments later Diaz sent Madrid ahead, receiving from the evergreen Modric on the edge of the area, turning slickly and curling an effort into the top corner.

Advertisement

Thibaut is the best in the world, he’s had a terrible season and we were waiting for this day to come,” added Joselu.

Bellingham, on as a substitute for Turkish teenager Arda Guler, added the second soon after entering the fray.

Modric and Diaz combined well, with the latter squaring for Bellingham to put the finishing touch on a fine team move.

Advertisement

It was the England international’s 18th league goal of the season, keeping him in contention to finish as the top scorer.

READ ALSO: PICTORIAL: C&S Church Ayo Ni O Installs New Leader

Madrid put the cherry on their cake after a superb run by Nacho.

Advertisement

Poised to depart at the end of the season, the Spaniard was hailed by the Bernabeu after setting up Joselu for a simple finish in stoppage time.

Los Blancos could celebrate after Girona came from behind twice to defeat Barcelona for the second time this season in a thrilling derby.

Barcelona took the lead through Andreas Christensen but La Liga’s top scorer Artem Dovbyk levelled with his 20th goal of the campaign.

Advertisement

Robert Lewandowski’s penalty sent Barcelona ahead but substitute Portu made a huge impact in the second half for Girona.

The winger netted the equaliser and then set up Miguel Gutierrez to put Girona ahead.

Portu sensationally volleyed home the fourth to ignite Girona’s tiny Montilivi stadium and get the party started.

Advertisement

Sports

Sports Commission Boss Commends Team Edo Athletes For Continental Triumph

Published

on

The Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has congratulated Team Edo athletes who represented Nigeria at recent continental championships and returned home with medals.

He spoke when the athlete led by Team Edo Athletics Head Coach, Mr. Mutiu Oluwa, paid a courtesy visit in his office on Monday.

Advertisement

The athletes had competed at the 3rd CAA U18/U20 African Athletics Championships held at the MKO Abiola International Stadium in Abeokuta, Ogun State, and the CAA Region II Senior Athletics Championship in Accra, Ghana.

In a statement issued by his Media Officer, Mr. Edoko Wilson Edoko, Hon. Enabulele praised the athletes’ performances, describing their achievements as a reflection of Governor Monday Okpebholo’s strategic investment in sports development.

READ ALSO:NSF: Team Edo Fully Prepared To Succeed, Sports Commission Boss Declares

Advertisement

The results we are witnessing today are a testament to Governor Okpebholo’s deliberate and strategic efforts to make Edo Nigeria’s hub for sporting excellence,” Enabulele said.

The Governor has consistently mandated us to focus on grassroots sports development — we ‘Catch Them Young.’ Today, we are seeing the fruits of that vision.”

At the Abeokuta championships, Edo athletes shone brightly: Audu Emmanuel (Silver, Shotput), Eze Peace (Bronze, Javelin), Akhalu David (Gold, 4×400m Mixed Relay), Salami Oseiwe (Bronze, 400m), Enaruna Anita (Silver, 400m; Gold, 4×100m, 4×400m, 4×400m Mixed, and 400m Mixed), and Oyibu Success (Silver, 100m; Gold, 200m and 4×100m).

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Enabulele Congratulates Bendel Insurance For Pre-Season Tournament Performance

The medal haul continued in Accra, with Treasure Omotsivie winning Gold in High Jump (Women), Anita Enaruna clinching Gold in 200m and 4×400m Relay (Women), Chidera Ezeakor claiming Gold in 100m, 200m, and 4×100m Relay (Men), David Akhalu securing Gold in 4×400m Relay (Men), and Prestina Ochonogor (Paris Olympics finalist) taking Gold in Long Jump (Women).

Enabulele described the athletes as “worthy ambassadors of Edo State” whose discipline, commitment, and patriotism continue to inspire hope for the future of sports in Nigeria.

Advertisement

The athletes had been selected to represent Nigeria in the two major competitions held between July 16–20 in Abeokuta and August 18–19 in Accra, Ghana.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG

Published

on

Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has expressed confidence that Team Edo will record an outstanding performance at the 9th National Youth Games (NYG), billed to hold in Asaba, Delta State, from August 26 to September 6, 2025.

Speaking through his Media Officer, Mr. Edoko Wilson Edoko, Enabulele described the games as a strong platform for nurturing grassroots talent and an opportunity for Edo’s young athletes to shine.

Advertisement

We are going into this competition with the youngest athletes in the country. For us, it is not about chasing victory at all costs, but ensuring that our young ones use this opportunity as a foundation for development and self-discovery. Edo believes in grassroots identification and talent grooming, and with the full support of our amiable Governor, Monday Okpebholo, we are confident of an impressive outing,” Edoko quoted the Commission Chairman as saying.

READ ALSO: 2025 NYG: Enabulele Charges Edo Coaches On Performance

Team Edo enters the competition with a boost from its strong showing at the South-South zonal eliminations, where it qualified in several ball games. These include female handball, male and female cricket, male baseball, male and female rugby, female football, male and female beach volleyball, female hockey, and female volleyball. The team will also compete in athletics, swimming, acrobatics, board sports, and other events.

Advertisement

Enabulele further stressed that Edo’s approach to the Games is built on sustainability and youth empowerment rather than quick-fix glory. According to him, “Our initiative is really working. The National Youth Games is more than just winning medals – it is about national unity, exposure for our athletes, and building a strong pipeline for the future. Edo is proud to be leading this charge.”

The 2025 edition of the NYG, themed “We are the Future,” officially kicks off on August 29 at the Stephen Keshi Stadium with a grand opening ceremony featuring top musicians and cultural troupes. The Games will be declared open by the Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Mallam Shehu Dikko, representing President Bola Tinubu.

Delta State is hosting the Games for the third consecutive time. Over 37 sports will be contested across venues such as the Stephen Keshi Stadium and Indoor Sports Hall, Government House Squash Court, Asaba Sports Club, Anglican Girls Grammar School, and the Commissioners’ Quarters.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Sports

Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]

Published

on

Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti did not recall Neymar and spared Vinicius Junior for World Cup qualifiers against Chile and Bolivia next month, with Lucas Paqueta returning to the national team.

The 33-year-old Neymar, who returned to Santos in January, has not worn the Brazil jersey for nearly two years due to repeated injuries.

Advertisement

Neymar had a small problem last week,” Ancelotti told a press conference on Monday, without providing further details.

According to the Brazilian press, Brazil’s leading all-time scorer with 79 goals in 128 matches, has experienced thigh discomfort during training.

READ ALSO:Again, Russia Claims Another Village In Ukraine’s Region

Advertisement

His absence from the squad for the final two World Cup qualifying matches was, however, played down by Ancelotti with the five-time champions having already booked their ticket to next year’s tournament in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

Neymar, we don’t need to test him. Everyone knows him. Like the others, he must arrive in good physical condition to help the national team give its best at the World Cup,” said the Italian coach.

Neymar had been called up by Ancelotti’s predecessor Dorival Junior for matches in March — a 2-1 victory against Colombia and a 4-1 defeat to Argentina — but was forced to withdraw due to a thigh injury.

Advertisement

In the first two matches under the Italian’s guidance in June, Brazil drew 0-0 in Ecuador before beating Paraguay 1-0, thanks to a goal from Vinicius to seal their place in the 2026 World Cup.

READ ALSO:Ancelotti Tells Neymar To Prepare Well For World Cup

The Real Madrid striker will be absent from the next training camp. Suspended for the match against Chile on September 5 at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, the Brazil staff preferred to spare him the trip to play at altitude in Bolivia on September 9.

Advertisement

Paqueta, meanwhile, is returning after being cleared of betting charges by an independent commission of the Premier League last month.

The West Ham midfielder had been absent from the national team since November 2024.

Also returning is Joao Pedro, who has been in great form since joining Chelsea in July.

Advertisement

The 23-year-old centre-forward shone in July at the Club World Cup, scoring both goals that eliminated Fluminense, his youth club, in the semi-finals, and the third in the 3-0 victory in the final against Paris Saint-Germain.

READ ALSO:Brazil Star, Neymar Tests Positive For COVID-19

Brazil squad:

Advertisement

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool/ENG), Bento (Al-Nassr/KSA), Hugo Souza (Corinthians)

Defenders: Alexsandro (Lille/FRA), Alex Sandro (Flamengo), Caio Henrique (Monaco/FRA), Douglas Santos (Zenith St-Petersburg/RUS), Fabricio Bruno (Cruzeiro), Gabriel Magalhaes (Arsenal/ENG), Marquinhos (PSG/FRA), Vanderson (Monaco/FRA), Wesley (Roma/ITA)

Midfielders: Andrey Santos (Chelsea/ENG), Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle/ENG), Casemiro (Manchester United/ENG), Joelinton (Newcastle/ENG), Lucas Paqueta (West Ham/ENG)

Advertisement

Forwards: Estevao (Chelsea/ENG), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal/ENG), Joao Pedro (Chelsea/ENG), Kaio Jorge (Cruzeiro), Luis Henrique (Zenith St-Petersburg/RUS), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United/ENG), Raphinha (Barcelona/ESP), Richarlison (Tottenham/ENG)

AFP

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending