Connect with us

Metro

JUST IN: Score Feared Dead As Lagos Building With Over 800 Rooms Collapses

Published

on

At least two persons are currently battling for life at a private hospital after a school-turned-residential building in the Ketu area of Lagos partially collapsed on Sunday.

The building housing over 800 rooms with hundreds of residents known as Agboye Estate on Oduntan Street, Ketu, first caved in on Saturday afternoon following hours of rainfall that greeted most parts of Lagos.

On Sunday afternoon, as residents were still trying to salvage their belongings, the building crumbled again, destroying another structure inside the compound before collapsing completely.

The development sent panic across the area, forcing hundreds of families and individuals residing in the building to vacate the premises.

READ ALSO: 5 Injured As Shootings, Protests Trail Ejection Of Anambra Land Owners From Motor Parks

During a visit to the affected building on Sunday evening, dozens of residents were seen moving their belongings in different directions as officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency cordoned off the premises.

 

The affected compound housing several defective buildings has been marked for demolition by Lagos officials.

On December 2014, The PUNCH, after weeks of investigation, published a report on the collapsed building titled, “500-room house in Lagos where tenants live as prisoners”.

The report chronicled the horrible living conditions of tenants of Agboye Estate, who contended with snakes, scorpions, and other dangerous animals as a result of stagnant sewage water at the back of the building.

In most of the blocks constructed only inches away from each other, at least 12 rooms shared a single toilet and bathroom.

READ ALSO: Woman Burnt As Fire Guts Lagos Building

On average, two persons occupy each room, bringing the number of users of a single toilet to 24.

Apart from that, tenants are forbidden from using power generators, electric kettles, air conditioners, or even hosting important social gatherings like naming ceremonies or birthdays within the facility by the landlord, Onamo Agboye.

The only entrance leading in and out of the compound closes at 11:00pm daily — nobody goes in or out once the clock ticks.

Following the report by Saturday PUNCH at the time, the Lagos State Government partially sealed the building but lifted the sanction a few days later.

The landlord of Agboye Estate has since gone into hiding following Sunday’s tragedy.

Metro

Soldier Arrested For Allegedly Stabbing Motorcyclist In Lagos

Published

on

A Lance Corporal of the Nigerian Army had been arrested for allegedly stabbing a commercial motorcyclist during a misunderstanding in bar in Ikorodu area of Lagos, weekend.

The cause of the incident said to have occurred at about 2am at the bar of a lounge in Itamaga area of Ikorodu was yet to be ascertained.

Eye witnesses hinted that during the Lance Corporal later discovered to be attached to 159 Battalion, Yobe State, allegedly attacked the commercial motor cyclist with a gun like Jack knife, in the upper left side of his stomach.

READ ALSO: Police Intercept Stolen Truck With Over N30m Goods, Arrest Suspect In Bauchi

The scene of the crime was reportedly visited by policemen , who rushed the dying victim to an undisclosed hospital.

Spokesman for the Lagos State Police Command, SP Benjamin Hudenyin confirmed the incident.

He said that the injured man was responding to treatment.

According to him: ” The suspect has been arrested and investigation is ongoing”.

Continue Reading

Metro

Many Feared Dead As Hoodlums Go On The Rampage In Niger

Published

on

Suspected hoodlums in Niger State have reportedly raided shops, killed and maimed residents in the Maitumbi area of Minna, the state capital.

Eyewitnesses said the rampage started on Friday and continued for the next two days, forcing a reign of terror in the area.

A tricyclist, Ifeanyi Nwosu, narrated how he narrowly escaped death when some of the hoodlums attacked him while he was carrying some passengers.

As I was riding my tricycle through the Maitumbi area, I had three passengers when about four of the hoodlums attacked us. They were brandishing their knives and daggers, threatening to use them on us. They collected all the mobile phones of the passengers.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Tension As Masked Armed Men Storm Oyo Govt House 

“What saved me was that I was swinging the tricycle, preventing the hoodlums from overpowering me. One of them even used his dagger to try to stab me, but in the process, he destroyed the tricycle’s windscreen. I only managed to escape from them. I would have been a dead man by now,” he narrated.

Another eyewitness, Musa Mohammed, narrated how the hoodlums who were said to be acting under the influence of dangerous drugs beheaded a middle-aged man and his young son, who they caught at the centre of the fracas.

According to Mohammed, police operatives who were invited to arrest the situation were also attacked by the hoodlums.

“Before my very eyes, the hoodlums beheaded a middle-aged man and his young son. They also attacked policemen who came to quell the crisis.

READ ALSO:Traditional Stool: Gunmen Invade Lagos Community, Kill One-yr-old Baby, 10 Others, Burn Houses [PHOTOS]

“They even vandalised their vehicle, but the policemen fired teargas at the hoodlums to disperse them, but they refused to calm down,” he added.

According to The PUNCH, several residents of the Maitumbi area could not get home on the night of the incident as they had to find alternative places to sleep for fear of the attacks.

The hoodlums reportedly broke into shops, raiding wares and attacking those who attempted to resist.

Over eight residents were allegedly killed while many others were injured in the rampage.

The spokesman for the Niger State Police Command, Wasiu Abiodun, confirmed the attack to newsmen but could not ascertain the number of victims killed.

“There were street fights, but the men of the state command were able to bring the situation under control. Five ring leaders of the fight were arrested,” he said.

Abiodun said details of the incident were still emerging, so he could not confirm the number of deaths or injuries.

Continue Reading

Metro

Police Intercept Stolen Truck With Over N30m Goods, Arrest Suspect In Bauchi

Published

on

Operatives of the Bauchi State Police Command have arrested a suspected robber who stole a trailer truck loaded with 35 tons of groundnut oil worth N30m.

Spokesperson of the command, SP Ahmed Mohammed Wakil, who disclosed this in a statement on Sunday, April 14, 2024, said the truck was coming from Umuahia in Abia State heading to Kano State when it was stolen at Maraban Jos trailer park in Kaduna State.

According to the PPRO, preliminary investigation revealed that the driver of the truck had stopped around the park to take his bath only to return later and discover that the trailer was missing from where it was parked.

READ ALSO: Troops Ambush Terrorists On Transit To Cause Havoc In Kaduna, Neutralize Two

On the 12th of April, 2024, the Toro Divisional Police headquarters received a distress call reporting the theft of a trailer truck parked at the Maraban Jos trailer park area of Kaduna state,” the statement read.

“The stolen truck contained 35 tons of groundnut oil worth about thirty million Naira (30,000,000) and was en route from Umuahia to Kano state with a DAF CF 85 model. The Divisional Police Officer immediately led operatives to track down the truck, which was intercepted while heading towards Bauchi state.

“A preliminary investigation revealed that the driver of the truck had made a detour around the Maraban Jos trailer park to take a bath. Upon returning, the driver discovered that the trailer was missing from where it was parked.

READ ALSO: Video: Moment Pastor Enenche Sent Lady Away For Giving False Testimony On The Altar

“However, the operatives were able to recover the significant amount of goods that had been transported, including the trailer truck.

“The suspect responsible for the theft has been arrested and is currently being held for questioning. The Commissioner of Police Bauchi State Command CP Auwal Musa Muhammad, psc, directed that a discreet investigation be carried out by the state criminal investigation department, after which the suspect will be charged to court upon completion of the investigation.”

Continue Reading

Trending