Business
JUST IN: Standard Chartered Bank Sells Subsidiaries In Five African Countries

Standard Chartered Bank and Access Bank Plc have entered into agreements for the sale of Standard Chartered’s shareholding in its subsidiaries in Angola, Cameroon, The Gambia, Sierra Leone, and Tanzania.
Each of the sale transactions remains subject to the approval of the respective local regulators and the banking regulator in Nigeria.
The announcement was made on Friday at Standard Chartered’s headquarters in London in the presence of senior representatives from both banks, a statement by the United Kingdom-based lender said.
The agreement was signed by the Regional CEO, Africa & Middle East, Standard Chartered, Sunil Kaushal, and the Group Managing Director, Access Bank Plc, Roosevelt Ogbonna.
READ ALSO: UK Increases Visa Fees, Health Surcharge For Nigerians, Others
The lender said the agreement with Access for the sale of the bank’s business in Sub-Saharan Africa was in line with Standard Chartered’s global strategy, aimed at achieving operational efficiencies, reducing complexity, and driving scale.
Access Bank will provide a full range of banking services and continuity for key stakeholders including employees and clients of Standard Chartered’s businesses across the five aforementioned countries.
Access Bank and Standard Chartered will work closely together in the coming months to ensure a seamless transition, with the transaction expected to be completed over the next 12 months.
Commenting on the agreement, Kaushal was quoted as saying, “Following on the announcement we made in April last year, the project is now substantially completed with the announcement for the sale of the five markets and the furtherance of a partnership with Access Bank.”
READ ALSO: Subsidy Removal: Fubara Unveils Free Bus Services For Rivers Commuters
“This strategic decision allows us to redirect resources within the AME region to other areas with significant growth potential, ultimately enabling us to better support our clients.
“We look forward to working closely with Access Bank’s team over the coming months to achieve a successful conclusion to this transaction while safeguarding the interests of our valued clients and prioritising our employees”.
Also commenting on the agreement, Ogbonna stated, “We are pleased to sign this agreement today and express our appreciation for being selected as the preferred partner to Standard Chartered through this transaction, in which it is exiting four African markets and refocusing in one.
“As a distinguished regional and international bank with a rich heritage spanning over 150 years, Standard Chartered Bank has built a solid presence in these markets for over 100 years.”
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Ladoja Drags Makinde, Olubadan To Court Over Chieftaincy Review
For Access Bank, the transaction represents a key step in its journey to build a strong global franchise focused on serving as a gateway for payments, investment, and trade within Africa and between Africa and the rest of the world, anchored by a robust capital base.
Ogbonna added, “At Access Bank, we are committed to reshaping the global perception of Africa and African businesses, even as we continue to build toward our vision to be the World’s Most Respected African Bank.
“Our five-year growth plan will see us build a world-class class payments gateway leveraging the power of technology and a robust network of relationships across our operating countries.
“This will be supported by a dynamic ecosystem of local and international partnerships, enabling us to serve global payments and remittances efficiently.
READ ALSO: Hike In Electricity Tariffs Likely As DisCos Apply For Review
“With our recent European expansion and our deepened presence in key trading corridors across Africa, we will bridge the gap between cross-border and domestic transfers across all business segments. More importantly, we are committed to impacting our host communities positively.”
In April 2022, Standard Chartered decided to divest from a number of markets, namely Lebanon, Angola, Cameroon, Gambia, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe, and Jordan, and to exit the CPBB (Consumer Private and Business Banking) business in Côte d’Ivoire and Tanzania.
The bank announced the sale of its business in Zimbabwe earlier in June and in Jordan in March this year.
With this announcement, Standard Chartered has completed the divestment process from the markets announced in April 2022, except Côte d’Ivoire where it remains actively engaged in discussions with potential buyers for the sale of its CPBB business in the country.
Business
NNPCL Revenue, Profit Soar To N5.08tn, N447bn In October

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited has announced a significant revenue increase to N5.078 trillion for October 2025.
The state-owned firm disclosed this in its monthly financial report released on Saturday.
According to the financial report, from N5.078 revenue in October, the company posted a N447 profit after tax.
READ ALSO:N5bn Damage: NNPCL Secures Appeal Court Victory Against Ararume
The figure represents a significant 19.2 percent increase in revenue from N4.26 trillion and a 106 percent rise in PAT from N216 billion in September 2025.
The report stated that from January to September, NNPCL paid N11.150 trillion in statutory payments to the federation.
Four days ago, NNPCL posted a total of N45.1 trillion as total revenue for the 2024 financial year.
Business
NNPCL Reveals Reason Behind N5.4trn Profit After Tax

The Group Chief Executive Officer of Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, NNPCL, Bayo Ojulari, has explained that the state-owned firm’s N5.4 trillion profit after tax declaration in its 2024 financial statements indicates that the country has begun to reap the benefits of the Petroleum Industry Act.
He made this explanation in an interview released on NNPCL’s X account on Friday.
Recall that NNPCL declared a significant N5.4 trillion PAT from a total revenue of N45.1 trillion in 2024.
READ ALSO:N5bn Damage: NNPCL Secures Appeal Court Victory Against Ararume
Reacting, Ojulari said the earnings result demonstrated the state-owned firm’s commitment to transparency.
“This earning is our first step in going out there to make ourselves more visible and demonstrate our commitment towards transparency. The profit of N5.4 trillion is quite significant. What that indicates is that we are beginning to reap the benefits of the Petroleum Industry Act.”
According to DAILY POST, since Ojulari’s appointment in April 2025, NNPCL has been consistent in making its monthly financial records public.
Business
CBN Directs Nigerian Banks To Withdraw Misleading Advertisement

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has directed Nigerian banks, payment service banks and other financial institutions to immediately withdraw all advertisements that violate consumer-protection rules.
The directive, issued in a circular dated Thursday and signed by Olubunmi Ayodele-Oni, director of the CBN’s compliance department, followed a review of marketing practices in the financial sector.
The apex bank said the assessment revealed inconsistencies in how institutions apply disclosure, transparency and fair-marketing requirements.
READ ALSO:CBN Retains Interest Rate At 27%
The CBN ordered the removal of all non-compliant adverts and warned that future promotional materials must be factual, balanced and transparent.
It banned misleading claims, exaggerated benefits, incomplete information, unaudited financial results and comparative language that could de-market competitors.
The regulator of Nigeria’s financial sector also prohibited chance-based promotional inducements such as lotteries, prize draws and lucky dips.
Accordingly, institutions submitting adverts for prior notification must now include campaign timelines, creative materials, target audience details and written confirmation of internal legal and compliance clearance, along with proof that the underlying product has CBN approval.
READ ALSO:JUST IN: EFCC Summons Ex-AGF Malami For Questioning
The bank clarified that such notifications are only for monitoring and do not amount to approval.
All affected institutions must file a compliance attestation within 30 days, signed by the chief executive and compliance leads.
The CBN added that beginning January 2026, it will conduct a follow-up review and apply sanctions for violations under BOFIA 2020 and the Consumer Protection Regulations.
Metro5 days agoJUST IN: Again, Terrorists Storm Kwara Community, Kidnap Pregnant Woman, 10 Children, Others
News4 days agoHow To Access Your Pension Before Retirement
News3 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Declares Nationwide Security Emergency, Orders Armed Forces To Recruit More Personnel
Headline4 days agoCoup In Guinea-Bissau? Soldiers Deployed Near Presidential Palace After Gunfire
News3 days agoTinubu Appoints Non-Career Ambassadors For US, UK, France
Metro2 days agoJUST IN: One Dead As Ngige Escapes Assassination
News2 days agoGuinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan
Politics4 days agoCrack In Edo APC As Group Accuses Party Chieftain Of Acting Opposition’s Script
Metro3 days agoBREAKING: Bandits Abduct Teenage Boy, Six Girls From FCT Community
News3 days agoOkpebholo Fires EDOGIS Managing Director















