Metro
Katsina Bandits’ Attack: Death Toll Rises Above 100, As Masari Sends Delegation

The death toll from the clash between terrorists and the Yansakai Group in Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State has risen above 100, residents say.
This figure comes shortly after Governor Aminu Masari of the State sent a delegation under the leadership of Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Muntari Lawal to condole with families of the victims.
Residents of the affected communities put the number of those killed at over one hundred, stating that more corpses are being recovered from the area as some persons in the communities are still missing.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Kastina Commissioner Assassinated
One of the residents who hails from Guga village, Abubakar Hashimu, told Channels TV that even on Friday, 63 people were buried, and on Saturday, a canter vehicle was also brought loaded with over 30 corpses, “we are still anticipating more bodies”.
According to Hashimu, more than 100 have died so far.
According to sources, the incident happened on Thursday after several cows were rustled on Wednesday by the terrorists.
Many persons have deserted their various communities due to the incidence, even as fears of further violence spreads.
The state’s delegation led by Secretary to the Katsina State Government, Alhaji Muntari Lawal, visited Guga, Yargoje, Gidan Gamji communities on Sunday to condole with the people, describing the situation as highly tragic for not only the victims and their families, but also for the government.
Lawal called on the residents to learn how to defend themselves as such situation can not be singlehandedly treated by the government or security agencies alone.
“The actual number of those killed cannot be ascertained because they are still counting the death, nobody can tell you the accurate figure because some of the bodies are scattered in the bush, they have to go and retrieve them.
“As we are counting the number, so also the bandits. So people should learn to be caurageous enough to confront the devil before they finish them.
“Don’t wait for Government, before Government intervenes the damage has been done, so organize yourselves to confront them,” Lawal asserted.
READ ALSO: APC Issues Revised Campaign Timetable
The Katsina State Government had on Friday announced plans to inaugurate a commission of inquiry to investigate the immediate and remote causes of the killings.
This according to the Special Adviser to the governor on Security Matters, Alhaji Ibrahim Ahmad Katsina is to remain proactive in addressing this type of problem that led to some casualties which is he said still being investigated.
Katsina explained that, not all the bodies recovered are members of the volunteer Yansakai group but also belong to the terrorists.
While symphasizing with families of the victims, Katsina urged members of the public to stop taking laws into their hands and ensure that they always cooperate with security agencies in their areas.
He maintained that, the state government was on top of the situation, adding that, normalcy has since returned to the area and security forces have dominated the scene.
Metro
Army, Air Force Crush ISWAP Fighters After Failed Chibok Attack
Troops of the 28 Task Force Brigade, Sector 4 Operation Hadin Kai, on Saturday stopped a major attack by ISWAP/Boko Haram fighters in Chibok, Borno State, before the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) moved in with airstrikes that killed many of the fleeing terrorists.
The report was contained in a post shared on X by security analyst Zagazola Makama.
According to the update, more than 300 terrorists launched a coordinated assault on Chibok around 3:00 a.m., attempting to break through military defensive positions.
Soldiers responded immediately, engaging the attackers in a fierce gunfight that lasted about two hours.
READ ALSO:Army Releases List Of Shortlisted Candidates For SSC Course
A security source quoted in the post said the troops acted swiftly and professionally.
“There was no casualty on our side, and no equipment was affected,” the source said.
As the terrorists began to retreat toward the Timbuktu Triangle, ground troops called for air support.
NAF combat aircraft were deployed to the route used by the fleeing fighters.
READ ALSO:NAF Redeploys 25 Senior Officers
The airstrikes, guided by intelligence from the troops on the ground, hit several clusters of terrorists trying to escape.
Multiple waves of strikes were carried out, with both manned aircraft and an unmanned aerial platform targeting groups of fighters dispersing into the forest.
According to Makama, the combined efforts of the Army and the Air Force dealt heavy blows to the attackers, preventing them from regrouping after the failed offensive.
Metro
Tanker Crash Kills Three, Fire Razes Shops In Kano
Three people died on Friday after a petrol tanker crashed and caught fire in Kura Local Government Area of Kano State, while a separate blaze destroyed shops at Hamisu Plaza along Maiduguri Road.
The incidents were detailed in a statement issued on Saturday by the Public Relations Officer of the Kano State Fire Service, ACFO Saminu Yusif Abdullahi.
According to the statement, the first accident occurred around 1:30 p.m. when the agency received a call from retired Civil Defence officer Danlami Muhammad.
He reported that a tanker had fallen at the Kura market junction along Zaria Road.
READ ALSO:
“Firefighters rushed from the headquarters to the scene and found a petrol tanker with the registration number NGZ 250 XA carrying about 30,000 litres of fuel. The tanker had overturned, caught fire and struck a cyclist who was on the road.
“The incident affected four people. Three of the victims were found unconscious and were later confirmed dead, while the cyclist managed to escape alive,” the Fire Service said.
Firefighters, working with the police and the Federal Road Safety Corps, brought the situation under control.
The victims were handed over to ASP Ahmad Lawan of the Kura Police Division.
READ ALSO:Five Injured As Tanker, Bus Collide In Lagos
Two fire trucks, one from the headquarters and another from the Kura station responded to the call. The cause of the crash is still being investigated.
The second incident happened around 2:45 p.m. after the control room received a distress call from Fire Assistant III Ahmad Gwangwazo, reporting a fire at Hamisu Plaza in Taruni LGA.
On arrival, firefighters found a two-storey commercial building measuring about 200 by 200 feet with flames coming from the upper floor.
“The fire affected three shops, while two others were saved,” the statement said.
The team was able to prevent the fire from spreading to the remaining shops on the first floor and the entire ground floor.
READ ALSO:Petrol Tanker Explodes In Ibadan
A fire truck stationed at the ongoing trade fair also joined the operation. The cause of this fire is also under investigation.
The Director of the Kano State Fire Service, Alhaji Sani Anas, urged residents to be extra careful, especially during the harmattan season.
“He is appealing to the general public to handle fire with care to avoid disasters.
“He further urged motorists to drive calmly and follow traffic rules to prevent accidents that may lead to loss of life or property,” the statement added.
Metro
Protest In Enugu Community As gunmen Kidnap Five Villagers, Injure One
Some women in Ezimo community, Udenu Local Government Area of Enugu State, on Saturday, staged a protest over the alleged kidnap of five residents and the shooting of another during an attack on the community.
The protesters, who marched through major parts of the community, said the incident had heightened fear and insecurity in the area.
One victim of the attack is currently receiving treatment in the hospital.
READ ALSO:Enugu Gov Mbah Set to Dump PDP
A social media influencer, ‘Sen.’ Chijinkem Ugwuanyi, made this known via Facebook on Saturday.
Ugwuanyi revealed that resident who confirmed the incident said recent cases of abductions and shootings had left the community unsafe, prompting the women to demand urgent government intervention.
In a video shared on Ugwuanyi’s Facebook page, the protesters called on the Enugu State Government and security agencies to step in and restore peace, warning that residents could no longer live under constant fear of attacks.
-
Metro4 days ago
JUST IN: Again, Terrorists Storm Kwara Community, Kidnap Pregnant Woman, 10 Children, Others
-
News3 days ago
How To Access Your Pension Before Retirement
-
News3 days ago
BREAKING: Tinubu Declares Nationwide Security Emergency, Orders Armed Forces To Recruit More Personnel
-
Headline3 days ago
Coup In Guinea-Bissau? Soldiers Deployed Near Presidential Palace After Gunfire
-
Metro5 days ago
Bandits Claim Kebbi, Niger Abductions, Vow More Attacks On Soldiers, Politicians [VIDEO]
-
News3 days ago
Tinubu Appoints Non-Career Ambassadors For US, UK, France
-
Politics4 days ago
Crack In Edo APC As Group Accuses Party Chieftain Of Acting Opposition’s Script
-
Metro2 days ago
BREAKING: Bandits Abduct Teenage Boy, Six Girls From FCT Community
-
Metro2 days ago
JUST IN: One Dead As Ngige Escapes Assassination
-
News2 days ago
Guinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan