Connect with us

Headline

Katsina Police Arrest Three Women Concealing Petrol In Bags For Bandits [PHOTOS]

Published

on

A team of policemen, operating along Katsina-Jibia road have arrested a mother, her daughter, alongside another woman, for concealing petrol in their bag to take to bandits in the forest.

The Spokesman, Katsina Police Command, SP. Isah Gambo paraded the three suspects at the state police headquarters on Thurday.

The suspects, who confessed to have committed the offence in contravention of the executive order and other extant laws of the federation, are all said to be residents of the Malali Quarters, in Katsina metropolis.

Advertisement

“These women that you are seeing here were arrested along Jibia-Katsina road with these bags pretending to be normal travellers going to Magama in Jibia, a border town with Niger Republic.

“What they do is engaging in smuggling of petrol to bandits in Jibia forest but nemesis caught up with them and they were arrested with these exhibits.

“These exhibits you are seeing are not just travelling bags but they are loaded with petrol meant to be taken to the forest for the bandits.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Scores Killed As Bandits Flee Into Military Camp

“The suspects are Umma Bello, 45 years of Malali Quarters here in Katsina metropolis, Nusaiba Muhammad, 16 years and Dija Umar 50 years all of the same address.

“It may interest you to know that the suspects while confessing to have committed the offence also revealed that many of them in the area are involved in the business.

Advertisement

“What they do is to engage the services of ‘okada’, motorcycle riders to buy the fuel for them in their motorcycle tanks from filling stations and then take it back to Malali quarters for them where they siphon the fuel from the motorcycle tanks and then arrange them into bags like these to avoid the eagle eyes of the security agencies while taking it to the forest to sell to bandits,” SP Isah Gambo said.

(DAILY POST)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Headline

US: Four Killed, 10 Others Wounded In California Shooting

Published

on

Four people were confirmed dead and 10 others injured after a shooting at a family gathering in California, United States on Saturday night, according to US police, who described the attack as a “targeted incident.”

The incident occurred inside a banquet hall in Stockton, northeast of San Francisco, shortly before 6:00 pm, spokesperson for the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office, Heather Brent, told reporters during a news briefing.

Brent said the victims, ranging from “juveniles to adults,” were rushed to nearby hospitals, noting that details about the shooting remained limited.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:FULL LIST: US To Review Green Cards From 19 ‘Countries Of Concern’ After Washington Shooting

“What we have confirmed at this time is that there was a banquet hall where a family was celebrating. We have 14 victims of this shooting. Four of those are deceased,” Brent said.

“Early indications suggest that this may be a targeted incident. Investigators are exploring all possibilities at this time.”

Advertisement

The sheriff’s office posted on social media that detectives were “working to determine the circumstances leading up to this tragedy.”

READ ALSO:Police Begin Trial Of Officer In Fatal Shooting Of Enugu Musician

“We are urging anyone with information, video footage, or who may have witnessed any part of this incident to contact the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office immediately,” the post added.

Advertisement

Authorities said no suspect had been identified at the time of the report.

California Governor Gavin Newsom was briefed on the development, his office said in a social media statement.

Data from the Gun Violence Archive shows there have been 504 mass shootings in the United States so far this year, including the Stockton attack.

Advertisement

(AFP)

Continue Reading

Headline

FULL LIST: US To Review Green Cards From 19 ‘Countries Of Concern’ After Washington Shooting

Published

on

The Trump administration announced on Thursday that it will review the immigration status of all permanent residents, or “Green Card” holders, from Afghanistan and 18 other countries following the attack on National Guard troops in Washington, D.C.

U.S. officials identified the suspect in Wednesday’s shooting as a 29-year-old Afghan national who previously worked alongside American forces in Afghanistan.

The individual was granted asylum earlier this year, not permanent residency, according to AfghanEvac, an organisation that assists Afghans resettled in the United States after the Taliban takeover in 2021.

Advertisement

I have directed a full-scale, rigorous reexamination of every Green Card for every alien from every country of concern,” said Joseph Edlow, director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), on X.

READ ALSO:FG To Unveil Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport January

The review follows a June executive order from President Trump classifying 19 countries as “of Identified Concern.”

Advertisement

The order banned entry for nearly all nationals from 12 countries, including Afghanistan. The full list of these countries is:

Afghanistan

Myanmar

Advertisement

Chad

Congo-Brazzaville

Equatorial Guinea

Advertisement

Eritrea

Haiti

READ ALSO:Coup: ECOWAS Suspends Guinea-Bissau

Advertisement

Iran

Libya

Somalia

Advertisement

Sudan

Yemen

A partial travel ban applies to seven additional countries, though some temporary work visas remain allowed: Burundi, Cuba, Laos, Sierra Leone, Togo, Turkmenistan, and Venezuela.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Headline

Romanian Defence Minister Quits After Admitting Error In Academic Record

Published

on

Romania’s defence minister resigned on Friday after saying he made a “mistake” on his CV about his university education, as controversy swirled over alleged lies on his resume.

Ionut Mosteanu – who has admitted to writing on his CV that he graduated from a university he never attended – said he did not want the row “to distract” the NATO member at a time when it and Europe are “under attack from Russia”.

Romania has repeatedly seen drone fragments fall on its soil since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022, and reported a number of drone incursions.

Advertisement

On Tuesday, a drone crashed in eastern Romania, which borders Ukraine.

READ ALSO:Ukraine: 122,000 Nigerians, Others Protest Discrimination At Romanian, Hungarian, Polish Borders

Romania has also accused Moscow of “hybrid attacks”, including meddling in presidential elections last year that were subsequently annulled.

Advertisement

Today, I resigned from my position as minister of national defence,” Mosteanu said in a Facebook post, adding he wanted the country to be focused on its “difficult mission”.

“Romania and Europe are under attack from Russia. Our national security must be defended at all costs,” he added.

Mosteanu had come under pressure after a media investigation published on Thursday revealed that he wrote in a CV that he graduated from a university which he did not actually attend.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:[FULL LIST] UEL Play-offs: Porto Lock Horns With Roma, Other Fixtures Announced

That same day he apologised for what he called “a mistake”.

“In a CV I quickly put together in 2016 using a template I found online, there is a mistake that I admit embarrasses me. I didn’t pay much attention to these details at the time,” he said on Facebook.

Advertisement

Mosteanu was appointed defence minister in June of this year, when a new pro-European government was formed after months of political turmoil.

Prime Minister Ilie Bolojan said in a press release that he would propose economy and tourism minister Radu Miruta take over the defence portfolio in the interim.

AFP

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending