Connect with us

Metro

Land Dispute Tears Communities Apart In Edo

Published

on

There was protest in Iguomon community, a sub-urban town in Uhumwonde Local Government Area of Edo state over the rightful ownership of a parcel of land along the Benin bye-pass.

The protest was as a result of unresolved lingering crisis between Iguomon and their neighbouring community (Ikhuonbo).

leader of the group from Iguomon community, Comrade Emmanuel Agbogun, expressed dissatisfaction over the continuous disregard for a judgement delivered by the Supreme Court on the 3rd of February, 2006, relating to land and boundary dispute between the two communities.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Edo Govt Suspends Revenue Collection From Public Transporters

He said, “Since the judgement, the people of Ikhuonbo has carried out activities that displayed outright disobedience to the Supreme Court judgement.

“A warrant of possession was issued to Iguomon community by the State Ministry of Justice in 2016 and since then, the people of Ikhuonbo have created all forms of resistance to the Iguomon people in possessing their lawful possession.

“We are therefore demanding as follows, that should the government fail to call Ikhuonbo people to order, we shall result to self-help and it may result to native war between the two communities if within fourteen days this issue is not properly address.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO: COVID-19: UBA, FCMB, Others Donate Over N43 Million To Bauchi Govt

Iguomon people called on the state government to urgently wade in with a view to settling the crisis and ordering Ikhuonbo community to respect the judgement of the Supreme Court concerning the said parcel of lands.

Reacting to the allegation, Mr Peter Ezelekhae denied the allegation.

He said the issue had been settled for long by all concerned authorities including the palace of the revered Oba of Benin kingdom, state house of assembly who said the new bye-pass should be mentioned as boundary between the two communities.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Edo 2020: Ize-Iyamu Appoints Campaign Directors

Advertisement
Comments

Metro

Father Arrested For Selling Six Biological Children In Sokoto

Published

on

No fewer than 20 children rescued by the Nigerian Police Force, Sokoto State Command, have been handed over to the state orphanage home for proper care.

The state Commissioner of Police, Ali Kaigama, stated this while addressing newsmen at the command headquarters in the state capital on Thursday.

He said the command arrested 10 suspects relating to the incident.

Advertisement

The suspects include one Bala Abubakar of the Tudun Wada area of Sokoto.

He was alleged to have given out a total of 28 children, including six of his biological children.

READ ALSO: Delta Assembly Workers Strike Over Unpaid Salaries, Benefits

He said the suspects gave out their victims to Kulu Dongoyaro and Elizabeth Ojah in exchange for between N150,000 and N250,000, claiming they were being taken to one Abuja-based NGO that is willing to shoulder the responsibilities of their welfare.

Advertisement

Kaigama also disclosed the arrest of one Saifullah Hassan of Gunmi Local Government area of Zamfara State, who was alleged to have killed one Balikisu Garba of Gidan Dare behind Jummat Mosque at the Ifeoma Hotel.

He said, “On May 24, 2024, at about 0620 hrs, Mr John, the manager of the Ifeoma Hotel in the Phase 1 Old Airport area of Sokoto, reported that a woman identified as Balikisu Garba of Gidan Dare was found dead.

“On receipt of the report, police operatives from the Old Airport Division led by the DPO swung into action, and as a result, the suspect bag, which was abandoned after the act, containing some receipts of payment and some SIM cards, was recovered.

READ ALSO: Gas Explosion Rocks Lagos Community

Advertisement

“These recoveries led to the identification of the suspect as one Saifullah Hassan of Gunmi LGA of Zamfara State, which intensified the investigation, and the suspect was later traced and arrested in Funtua, Katsina State.”

The command also announced the successful rescue of Barrister Rukayat, who was kidnapped in the Bado area of the state recently.

He said, “The command, through Yabo Division, in conjunction with the Military and Vigilante Group, acted on credible information and went for a rescue operation.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Tinubu Approves Six-month Free Ride On Abuja Metro

Advertisement

“The team went to the scene around the Binji axis, where they traced footprints towards a forest, where the suspected kidnappers were traced and routed, which resulted in the subsequent rescue of three victims.

“One suspect was neutralised and one fatally injured, while ten rounds of live ammunition, two solar panels, one Tecno mobile phone, and a blanket were recovered at the scene.”

The CP, while assuring the residents of the state that the command remains committed to upholding law and order, commends the state governor, Dr Ahmed Aliyu Sokoto, for his support throughout the investigation process.

He called on the good people of the state to continue to cooperate with the command for a safer environment.

Advertisement

PUNCH

Continue Reading

Metro

PHOTOS: Many Trapped As Two-storey Building Collapses In Lagos Island

Published

on

Rescue operation is currently ongoing to save victims trapped in a two-storey building which collapsed at number 15, Iga Idungaran, close to Oba of Lagos, Rilwanu Akiolu’s palace, Lagos Island.

According to eyewitness, the unfortunate incident occurred at about 11am, Thursday.

Men of the Lagos State Emergency Management Authority, LASEMA, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Nigeria Police, among other emergency responders were on ground searching for survivors.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Obaseki Has Paid N147m Counterpart Fund For LIFE-ND Agric Project, Says Coordinator

Recall that the latest incident happened barely four days ago, precisely on Sunday, when a Mosque collapsed at Yusuf Street, Papa Ajao, Mushin area, killing at least three worshippers, including a 12 year-old boy in the process.

Details later…

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Terrorists Kill 12 In Kaduna Market Attack

Published

on

Terrorists, on Wednesday, reportedly attacked and killed 12 persons at Maro Junction, a weekly Market in Maro Ward, Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

A former chairman of the local government, Cafra Caino, who confirmed the development to The PUNCH, said the assailants invaded the market around 3pm on Wednesday and opened fire.

According to him, 12 bodies have been recovered while 20 others who sustained various degrees of injuries have been taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Advertisement

He explained that it was the second time the weekly market had been attacked while business owners and customers transacting businesses.

READ ALSO: ‘Misplaced Priority,’ Nigerians Slam Govt For Reinstating Old National Anthem

“The situation is critical and has thrown residents around the area into confusion while they scampered for safety in neighbouring villages.

“Security operatives drafted to the area have already left. We are appealing to the government to deploy security operatives to help restore normalcy,” he said.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, the state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Mansir Hassan, did not respond to calls and text messages sent to him by The PUNCH correspondent as of the time of filling this report.

Continue Reading

Trending