Makinde Deploys Free Buses Over Fuel, Naira Crises
The Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, on Friday night, announced the deployment of free ‘Omituntun’ transport buses to cushion the effect of the fuel scarcity and naira crises in the country on residents of the state.
Makinde announced this in a state-wide broadcast aired on the state-owned radio service, the Broadcasting Corporation of Oyo State.
The governor, who frowned upon the violent protests that erupted in the state earlier on Friday, said his government was ready to do whatever was needed to ease the pain of the people.
He, however, urged residents of the state to express their grievances peacefully, adding that his government would not condone the breakdown of law and order.
A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Taiwo Adisa, noted that Makinde also put security agencies in the state on high alert to avert any breakdown of law and order, according to a report by The Eagle Online.
According to the governor, the Omituntun Mass Transit Buses will be deployed to more routes within the state to convey resident free-of-charge in order to ameliorate the suffering of the people.
READ ALSO: New Naira: Seven Notable Quotes From El-Rufai
The governor also said he was working with the chairmen of local governments in the state to provide immediate palliatives for the vulnerable people in order to alleviate the hardships that the crises had brought upon them.
In the broadcast, Makinde said, “My Dear Good People of Oyo State.
“I am addressing you today because of the prevailing conditions in our state and country that have led to protests and riots, especially in Ibadan.
“First, let me say that I understand the need for these protests. When citizens get pushed to the wall, there is only so much that they can take.
“The continuous fuel scarcity and the scarcity of the naira have led to slow economic activities. I must repeat, I understand, and I feel your pain.
“I have always maintained that peaceful protests are fine. When things are not going how we want them to go, we have a right and even a responsibility to protest.
“Let me also state that while we are protesting, we must we must remember how easily a peaceful protest can turn violent and lead to the loss of lives and property. The violence that erupted in parts of Ibadan today (Friday) is condemnable and will not be tolerated.
“In response to this, I have suspended all campaign activities forthwith. I have also met with the heads of security agencies in Oyo State to restore calm and maintain the peace in our dear state.
“Violence cannot and will not solve our problems, it only creates new ones. We have another opportunity in a few weeks to move this country in a new direction. Use your PVC, not violence.
“We must not allow elements within us who have other motives to take advantage of peaceful protests to perpetrate evil or push their agendas.
“I urge all law-abiding citizens and residents of the state to go about their lawful activities. All our security agencies are on high alert and so, peaceful residents of the state have no cause to fear.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Youths Protest Naira, Fuel Scarcity In Oyo
“As a palliative measure, I have directed that the Omituntun Mass Transit Buses should be deployed to more routes within the state for free.
“We are also working with Local Government Chairmen to see what immediate palliatives we can make available to the most vulnerable amongst us to alleviate the hardships that the twin scarcity of fuel and the naira have brought upon our people.
“Once again, we have another opportunity to put an end to oppressive systems and that is through the ballot. For now, I urge everyone to remain calm as we are doing our best to mitigate the hardships.”
INEC Clears Air On Attack On Mahmood Yakubu’s Purported Home
The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has denied that a property that was attacked in Bauchi State belongs to its chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu.
The commission made this known in a statement signed by Yakubu’s Chief Press Secretary, Rotimi Oyekanmi, on Saturday.
Oyekanmi insisted that his principal does not own any property and the rumours are part of a desperate smear campaign.
READ ALSO: Imo Labour Party Governorship Aspirant Found Dead
The statement read: “The property being purportedly attacked by some youths in a video clip circulating on the social media does not belong to the INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu.
“The INEC Chairman does not own the property in question in either Bauchi or anywhere else around the world.
“This narrative is indeed the latest in the series of desperate smear campaign efforts by mischief makers. The public should disregard it.”
51,828 Boko Haram Fighters Surrender Within One and Half Years – Gen. Irabor
The Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Lucky Irabor, has disclosed that no fewer than 51,828 Boko Haram fighters and their family members surrendered to the Federal Government between July 2021 and May 2022.
Gen. Irabor disclosed this while delivering a lecture titled “National Defence Policy and Transitional Justice Approach in the War Against Insurgency in Nigerin”, at the 7th Founders’ Day of the Edo state University, Uzairue.
According to him, “between July 2021 to May 2022 alone, no fewer that 51,828 Boko haram and their family members have surrendered, out of which 13,360 are fighters”.
He further disclosed that 1,543 repentant terrorists so far graduated from Mallam Sidi camp, in Gombe State between 2016 and 2022, while 1,935 have been released from the camp in Bulumkutu, Maiduguri.
READ ALSO: Edo Varsity Uzairue Elevates 15 To Professorship
He said Operation Safe Corridor as a transitional justice approach was created similar to the Niger Delta Amnesty programme launched by the Federal Government in 2009 which involved the setting up of special facilities where repentant terrorists who surrendered their arms can be rehabilitated.
“The programme offers numerous opportunities and participants are scheduled for vocational training to ease their reintegration into the society”, he emphasized.
Gen. Irabor, however, said despite the modest successes recorded by operation safe corridor in the fight against crime, the programme still faces a lot of challenges.
He listed some of challenges ro include the lack of specialised training experts and inadequate physical structure, inadequate collaboration and coordination, absence of appropriate legislation on reintegration, low agency and international participation as well as ineffective monitoring system.
He, however, identified the way forward to include “train-the-trainers programme and establishment of special fund for Deradicalisation, Reintegration and Reorientation (DRR), establishment of a national commission for DRR, enacting of a DRR Act, building of strategic partnerships and adoption of a whole-of-society approach to monitoring,” he said.
READ ALSO: Matriculation: Edo Varsity VC Advises Students To Shun Cultism, Hooliganism
He further said in any counter insurgency, transitional justice plays a key role in healing wounds such as Nigerian Civil War and the Niger Delta crisis, adding that Operation Safe Corridor has achieved some degree of successes which could be built upon.
Earlier, the Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Emmanuel Aluyor, commended the state governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki and his deputy, RT. Hon. Com. Philip Shaibu for their continuous support for the university and for creating enabling environment for the university to strive.
Prof. Aluyor said that the lectures over the years have gradually shaped the outlook of the founder’s day ceremony where important issues on how Nigeria can be harness into a country of our collective dreams are delivered.
According to him, “Edo State University Uzairue since inception has been committed to pursuit of world class goals in teaching, learning and research which is why we are proud of our products”.
He further stated that some of the lecturers and researchers are listed among the first 500 researchers in Nigeria, while the nursing and medical laboratory students recorded 100% successes in their Council’s exams.
The VC particularly thanked the governor for the upgrade of the general hospital Auch to Edo State University Uzairue teaching hospital which he said contributed to the full acresitation of the MBBS programme of the university by the medical and dental council of Nigeria.
READ ALSO: Edo Varsity, Uzaire, Announces Post-UTME, Resumption Date
“We are not resting in taking the university to a greater hieght as we planned to open up new programmes such as Pharmacy and post graduate programmes in other areas to compliment what we already have on ground” he concluded.
On his part, Edo State governor and the visitor to the university, Mr Godwin Obaseki represented by Hon. Inusa Imhonopi commended the management of the university for the successful hosting of this year’s founder’s day.
He said that the present administration is consistent in chatting a progressive course for the university as the government is doing its best while the management is also doing its best and urged them to see that the university remain on top.
How Bishop Oyedepo Treated Me When I Was Attacked By Assassins – Apostle Suleman
Apostle Johnson Suleman of Omega Fire Ministries has recounted the love treatment he received from the president and founder of Living Faith Church Worldwide, Bishop David Oyedepo, when suspected assassins attacked him.
Recall that on October 21, 2022, gunmen suspected to be assassins attacked Suleman’s motorcade, killing at least seven persons including security officers.
It was reported that the man of God escaped death because of his bulletproof car.
Speaking during a church service on how some ministers of God treated him during the trying moment, Suleman said Oyedepo’s love was exceptional.
According to him, some men of God who were expected to sympathise with him over the incident never called.
He said Bishop Oyedepo called several times and prayed for him against further attacks.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Apostle Suleman Escapes Assassination, 6 Others Feared Killed
He said: “The love I saw from Bishop Oyedepo when I was attacked, I didn’t see from any minister in Nigeria. He didn’t have my phone number, he sent me his phone number. He said that they should give it to me.
“People were calling me. Bishop Abioye was calling me. I know Bishop Abioye’s number. And he (Oyedepo) began to pray for me.
“The next day, he called me again. Such a man! Who am I? He said, ‘they will not succeed, they can’t quench that light’! Tears came out of my eyes.”
Man Impregnates Daughter In Ogun, Blames Devil
INEC Clears Air On Attack On Mahmood Yakubu’s Purported Home
Anambra: Ovation As Peter Obi Enters Soludo’s Anniversary Venue [Video]
Communal Clash Claims Seven, Injures Scores In Delta
BREAKING: COVID-19 Heath Workers Block Hospital Management Board’s Entrance, Demand Payment Of Allowances In Edo
Edo Guber: ‘Oshiomhole’s Triumphant Entry Has Left You In Trauma, Demoralised,’ APC Mocks PDP
Business4 days ago
CBN Bans Banks From Operating PoS, Approves 17 Companies as Mobile Money, Operators In Nigeria
Metro6 days ago
JUST IN: Abducted Rivers APC Campaign Director Shot Dead
News1 week ago
JUST IN: World Oldest Monarch, Ohworode Of Olomu Passes On
Politics1 week ago
Peter Obi Left PDP Due To Constant Insults From Wike – Atiku
Headline1 week ago
[JUST IN] Election Materials: PDP, Atiku Withdraw Court Application Against INEC
Politics1 week ago
[BREAKING] Delta Guber: Suspected Thugs Burn Down Former UPU PG’s House
News1 week ago
Lawyer Sues INEC Over Alleged Failure To Electronically Transmit Election Results
Opinion1 week ago
OPINION: Nigeria, Let The Igbo Go