Connect with us

Sports

Messi Makes Magical Start To Miami Career With Late Winner On Debut

Published

on

Lionel Messi made a Hollywood start to his American adventure, scoring a last-second winner with a curling free-kick in his debut game for Inter Miami on Friday.

Deep in the fourth minute of stoppage time, with the Leagues Cup match against Mexican club Cruz Azul standing at 1-1, Messi won a free-kick just outside the box, in perfect range for his famous left foot.

Advertisement

The script had been written and Messi delivered his line perfectly.

The seven-times Ballon d’Or winner took a glance at the position of Cruz Azul goalkeeper Andres Gudino, then put his head down before curling his shot high to the keeper’s right and into the top corner to deliver the 2-1 triumph.

The capacity 20,000 crowd at Miami’s DRV PNK Stadium went wild, with some fans running on to the field before being apprehended by security. Smoke bombs in Miami’s trademark pink went off in the area behind the goal, occupied by the team’s most passionate supporters.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Fans Hail Messi’s Wife Antonela As ‘World Most Beautiful Woman’ [PHOTOS]

“We wanted to start like this by giving these people a victory,” said Messi.

“We knew that it was very important for us to start this championship in winning fashion and luckily we were able to do it in the end, and I am very happy,” he added.

Advertisement

Miami are rock bottom of Major League Soccer and without a win in 11 games in league play, so Messi said the victory was sorely needed.

“It is a huge joy to get this first victory after how we have done in the league,” he said. “It is important to start winning, beyond the fact that it is another championship, for confidence it is very good to get victories.”

Miami and Major League Soccer hope that the arrival of the Argentine World Cup winner and all-time great will transform the sport and push it into the American mainstream.

Advertisement

If Messi’s debut was any guide, the former Barcelona star still has plenty to offer.

Even before his wonderful goal he had looked sharp and alert, his touch belying the fact that until little over a week ago he was vacationing on a Caribbean beach with his family.

READ ALSO: Transfer: Why We Signed Messi — Inter Milan Co-owner, Beckham Reveals

Advertisement

Sergio Busquets, the Spanish midfielder and former Barca team-mate, who has joined Messi for his American adventure, also made a strong impression after they both entered the contest in the 54th minute as part of a triple change with Venezuelan Josef Martinez.

Busquets showed his famous, almost telepathic understanding with Messi remains, after over two years apart from each other, with the midfielder delivering pieces from all angles into the Argentine’s feet.

But it was Messi’s magical finish that will remain long in the memories of Inter Miami fans.

Advertisement

He also made sure that the club’s co-owner David Beckham had a broad grin at the final whistle.

“To be honest, as soon as I saw the free kick given I thought this is the way it’s meant to end. Especially when you’ve got players like Leo and Sergio on the pitch, that’s what they produce,” said the former England midfielder.

READ ALSO: PSG To Discipline Messi Over Saudi Trip

Advertisement

“It’s so exciting tonight for our fans. All of these people that come down here to see Leo just step onto the pitch, let alone just do what he’s done. It’s a dream come true for everyone in this stadium to see.

“It’s such a moment for this country, such a moment for this league,” he said.

– Stars turn out –

Advertisement

Messi became the biggest name signing in MLS’s history when he joined Miami after his contract with Paris Saint-Germain came to an end in June.

NBA great LeBron James, reality television star Kim Kardashian and tennis legend Serena Williams were among the stars who turned out.

Many fans were decked out in replica pink Miami shirts with Messi’s name and number 10 on the back. Others sported Messi masks and banners, one wore a goat mask in a nod to Messi’s Greatest Of All Time status.

Advertisement

There was some disappointment when the teams were announced with Messi on the bench and it was clear that plans had been made to celebrate his first start as fireworks exploded above the grandstands when the referee blew the whistle to start the encounter.

Against the run of play, after Cruz Azul wasted a series of chances, Miami took the lead in the 44th minute with a fine, low shot from Robert Taylor which flew off the post.

Messi and Busquets came in with that lead intact but saw the Mexicans draw level through a powerful drive from Uriel Antuna in the 65th minute.

Advertisement

Then came Messi’s moment, the perfect introduction to his new fans and his new country.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Sports

Sports Commission Boss Commends Team Edo Athletes For Continental Triumph

Published

on

By

The Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has congratulated Team Edo athletes who represented Nigeria at recent continental championships and returned home with medals.

He spoke when the athlete led by Team Edo Athletics Head Coach, Mr. Mutiu Oluwa, paid a courtesy visit in his office on Monday.

Advertisement

The athletes had competed at the 3rd CAA U18/U20 African Athletics Championships held at the MKO Abiola International Stadium in Abeokuta, Ogun State, and the CAA Region II Senior Athletics Championship in Accra, Ghana.

In a statement issued by his Media Officer, Mr. Edoko Wilson Edoko, Hon. Enabulele praised the athletes’ performances, describing their achievements as a reflection of Governor Monday Okpebholo’s strategic investment in sports development.

READ ALSO:NSF: Team Edo Fully Prepared To Succeed, Sports Commission Boss Declares

Advertisement

The results we are witnessing today are a testament to Governor Okpebholo’s deliberate and strategic efforts to make Edo Nigeria’s hub for sporting excellence,” Enabulele said.

The Governor has consistently mandated us to focus on grassroots sports development — we ‘Catch Them Young.’ Today, we are seeing the fruits of that vision.”

At the Abeokuta championships, Edo athletes shone brightly: Audu Emmanuel (Silver, Shotput), Eze Peace (Bronze, Javelin), Akhalu David (Gold, 4×400m Mixed Relay), Salami Oseiwe (Bronze, 400m), Enaruna Anita (Silver, 400m; Gold, 4×100m, 4×400m, 4×400m Mixed, and 400m Mixed), and Oyibu Success (Silver, 100m; Gold, 200m and 4×100m).

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Enabulele Congratulates Bendel Insurance For Pre-Season Tournament Performance

The medal haul continued in Accra, with Treasure Omotsivie winning Gold in High Jump (Women), Anita Enaruna clinching Gold in 200m and 4×400m Relay (Women), Chidera Ezeakor claiming Gold in 100m, 200m, and 4×100m Relay (Men), David Akhalu securing Gold in 4×400m Relay (Men), and Prestina Ochonogor (Paris Olympics finalist) taking Gold in Long Jump (Women).

Enabulele described the athletes as “worthy ambassadors of Edo State” whose discipline, commitment, and patriotism continue to inspire hope for the future of sports in Nigeria.

Advertisement

The athletes had been selected to represent Nigeria in the two major competitions held between July 16–20 in Abeokuta and August 18–19 in Accra, Ghana.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG

Published

on

By

Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has expressed confidence that Team Edo will record an outstanding performance at the 9th National Youth Games (NYG), billed to hold in Asaba, Delta State, from August 26 to September 6, 2025.

Speaking through his Media Officer, Mr. Edoko Wilson Edoko, Enabulele described the games as a strong platform for nurturing grassroots talent and an opportunity for Edo’s young athletes to shine.

Advertisement

We are going into this competition with the youngest athletes in the country. For us, it is not about chasing victory at all costs, but ensuring that our young ones use this opportunity as a foundation for development and self-discovery. Edo believes in grassroots identification and talent grooming, and with the full support of our amiable Governor, Monday Okpebholo, we are confident of an impressive outing,” Edoko quoted the Commission Chairman as saying.

READ ALSO: 2025 NYG: Enabulele Charges Edo Coaches On Performance

Team Edo enters the competition with a boost from its strong showing at the South-South zonal eliminations, where it qualified in several ball games. These include female handball, male and female cricket, male baseball, male and female rugby, female football, male and female beach volleyball, female hockey, and female volleyball. The team will also compete in athletics, swimming, acrobatics, board sports, and other events.

Advertisement

Enabulele further stressed that Edo’s approach to the Games is built on sustainability and youth empowerment rather than quick-fix glory. According to him, “Our initiative is really working. The National Youth Games is more than just winning medals – it is about national unity, exposure for our athletes, and building a strong pipeline for the future. Edo is proud to be leading this charge.”

The 2025 edition of the NYG, themed “We are the Future,” officially kicks off on August 29 at the Stephen Keshi Stadium with a grand opening ceremony featuring top musicians and cultural troupes. The Games will be declared open by the Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Mallam Shehu Dikko, representing President Bola Tinubu.

Delta State is hosting the Games for the third consecutive time. Over 37 sports will be contested across venues such as the Stephen Keshi Stadium and Indoor Sports Hall, Government House Squash Court, Asaba Sports Club, Anglican Girls Grammar School, and the Commissioners’ Quarters.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Sports

Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]

Published

on

By

Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti did not recall Neymar and spared Vinicius Junior for World Cup qualifiers against Chile and Bolivia next month, with Lucas Paqueta returning to the national team.

The 33-year-old Neymar, who returned to Santos in January, has not worn the Brazil jersey for nearly two years due to repeated injuries.

Advertisement

Neymar had a small problem last week,” Ancelotti told a press conference on Monday, without providing further details.

According to the Brazilian press, Brazil’s leading all-time scorer with 79 goals in 128 matches, has experienced thigh discomfort during training.

READ ALSO:Again, Russia Claims Another Village In Ukraine’s Region

Advertisement

His absence from the squad for the final two World Cup qualifying matches was, however, played down by Ancelotti with the five-time champions having already booked their ticket to next year’s tournament in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

Neymar, we don’t need to test him. Everyone knows him. Like the others, he must arrive in good physical condition to help the national team give its best at the World Cup,” said the Italian coach.

Neymar had been called up by Ancelotti’s predecessor Dorival Junior for matches in March — a 2-1 victory against Colombia and a 4-1 defeat to Argentina — but was forced to withdraw due to a thigh injury.

Advertisement

In the first two matches under the Italian’s guidance in June, Brazil drew 0-0 in Ecuador before beating Paraguay 1-0, thanks to a goal from Vinicius to seal their place in the 2026 World Cup.

READ ALSO:Ancelotti Tells Neymar To Prepare Well For World Cup

The Real Madrid striker will be absent from the next training camp. Suspended for the match against Chile on September 5 at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, the Brazil staff preferred to spare him the trip to play at altitude in Bolivia on September 9.

Advertisement

Paqueta, meanwhile, is returning after being cleared of betting charges by an independent commission of the Premier League last month.

The West Ham midfielder had been absent from the national team since November 2024.

Also returning is Joao Pedro, who has been in great form since joining Chelsea in July.

Advertisement

The 23-year-old centre-forward shone in July at the Club World Cup, scoring both goals that eliminated Fluminense, his youth club, in the semi-finals, and the third in the 3-0 victory in the final against Paris Saint-Germain.

READ ALSO:Brazil Star, Neymar Tests Positive For COVID-19

Brazil squad:

Advertisement

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Liverpool/ENG), Bento (Al-Nassr/KSA), Hugo Souza (Corinthians)

Defenders: Alexsandro (Lille/FRA), Alex Sandro (Flamengo), Caio Henrique (Monaco/FRA), Douglas Santos (Zenith St-Petersburg/RUS), Fabricio Bruno (Cruzeiro), Gabriel Magalhaes (Arsenal/ENG), Marquinhos (PSG/FRA), Vanderson (Monaco/FRA), Wesley (Roma/ITA)

Midfielders: Andrey Santos (Chelsea/ENG), Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle/ENG), Casemiro (Manchester United/ENG), Joelinton (Newcastle/ENG), Lucas Paqueta (West Ham/ENG)

Advertisement

Forwards: Estevao (Chelsea/ENG), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal/ENG), Joao Pedro (Chelsea/ENG), Kaio Jorge (Cruzeiro), Luis Henrique (Zenith St-Petersburg/RUS), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United/ENG), Raphinha (Barcelona/ESP), Richarlison (Tottenham/ENG)

AFP

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version