Connect with us

Metro

Mother Protests As Lagos Principal Brutalises 14-year-old Pupil

Published

on

The mother of a Senior Secondary School student, Mrs Becky Folorunso, has cried out for justice after the Principal of Pholex Private School, Ebute-Meta in Lagos, allegedly brutalised her son for not writing class notes.

In an interview with PUNCH Metro on Friday, Folorunso said that was not the first time her son, Adam, would be flogged in such manner by the principal, Adewale Adetona.

Advertisement

Bruises suspected to be from whips could be seen on the boy’s back from pictures made available to our correspondent.

The troubled mother said while she had scolded her son and warned him to be writing his class notes, beating her child to that extent was uncalled for.

She called on relevant authorities of the Lagos State Government, particularly the State Universal Basic Education Board to intervene in the matter.

Advertisement

Folorunso said, “He is a playful son, but he is not a bad boy. He came home a few days ago and told me ‘Mummy, this beating is too much.’ He showed me his back and I saw bruises. But not like this very one. He said it was because he did not write one note. I scolded him and warned him to always write his notes.

READ ALSO: Rivers Police Seal Ex- lawmaker’s Hotel, Entertainment Centre

“But when he came home on Thursday, May 25, he cried, ‘Mummy, I can’t take this any longer.’ When he removed his uniform and showed me his back, I was shocked and asked what happened to him. He said it was because he did not complete his Social Studies notes.”

Advertisement

She said her son told the principal to check well, but he wouldn’t listen to him. She said the principal began flogging the boy. “I heard he (the principal) said he knew me, but knowing me doesn’t mean he should kill my child,” the mother said.

Continuing, Folorunso recalled that she had been planning to withdraw the boy from the school following tales of alleged inhuman treatment being meted out to students before the incident.

“I didn’t know about all these stories before we registered him. How can they be running a private learning environment as if it is a public school where things like this go unpunished?” she queried.

Advertisement

When contacted, the school principal, Adetona, said he did not beat the child unjustly.

Speaking with The PUNCH correspondent via a phone call on Friday, he said he was checking all the students’ notes to know some of them who were not writing up to date.

READ ALSO: Drama As Stage Collapses During Inauguration

Advertisement

Adetona said, “I am a parent, I don’t beat unjustly. I know the mother very well. I noticed the boy doesn’t have a note at all. I just resumed the office (in the school) not quite long (ago). I’m searching their entire notes one after the other to know those that are not doing well. Several complaints (have) come from teachers and several warnings asking the boy to change.

“I had to beat him yesterday (Thursday). I have been warning them for over two weeks to go and update their notes.”

He said the last time the boy brought his school fees, he was the one that gave him N500 to go and pay through the Point of Sale machine so that he would not lose the money while trying to go to the bank. “I would not beat him unjustly,” he reiterated.

Advertisement

On his part, the school’s proprietor, Mr Foluso Akomolafe, condemned the beating of the student and apologised to the mother.

He said although the boy was not writing notes, there were other means to discipline a student.

“He (the principal) warned him (the student) that he shouldn’t do that again, that he must make sure he copies notes,” Akomolafe added, saying the school fee paid by the parents was like a waste if the student was not writing notes.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Buhari Constitutes Boards Of Aviation Agencies Hours To Leave Office

“I blamed the principal. As much as you are trying to correct the boy, you should always take it easy with them, they are children. Whatever corrective measures you want to put in place, you shouldn’t be flogging,” the proprietor told The PUNCH.

Suggesting other ways to discipline a student, he said the student could be punished or suspended instead of flogging such a child.

Advertisement

“What the boy did was bad but then he could be asked to kneel or invite the parent. He was sorry about it and apologised to the mother.

“The school does not permit flogging because the Lagos State Government does not want us to flog any child, no matter the offence. We don’t support flogging. He (the principal) is a new person and had barely spent a month or two with us,” he added.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Metro

Truck Crushes Man Rushing For Jumu’ah Prayers In Rivers

Published

on

By

A trailer loaded with goods has crushed a Muslim faithful rushing for Friday prayers to death in Port Harcourt.

According to Vanguard, the tragic incident happened on the ever-busy Nkpolu junction axis of the East-West road, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, around 2:05 pm.

Advertisement

It was gathered that the victim was crossing the busy road when a black SUV on speed knocked him down and that the truck, which was on high speed, crushed him to death.

READ ALSO:US Struck Iran With B-2 Bombers, Submarine-launched Missiles – Top US General

A source, who witnessed the incident, narrated that the young man was behind some of his Muslim brothers, who were also going for the Friday prayers, when the incident happened.

Advertisement

The source, who gave his name simply as Tunde, said the other worshipers had crossed, but that the victim, who did not observe the traffic very well before entering the road, was knocked down by the vehicle.

READ ALSO:Rivers Staff, Pensioners Audit Sparks Outrage

The source said that when the SUV brought him down, a trailer that was on the speed lane ran over him, dismembering the body beyond recognition.

Advertisement

However, the Muslim faithful who were with him took over the highway in protest until police operatives arrived at the scene.

Meanwhile, the police restored normalcy while the protesting Muslims took the remains for burial.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Three Killed As Suspected Bandits Ambush Motorists In Kwara

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be Fulani bandits have allegedly launched a deadly attack on motorists along the Rore and Aranorin communities in Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, leaving at least three people dead.

The incident, which occurred on Thursday, threw residents and travellers into a state of panic as news of the killings spread across the area.

Advertisement

In a video obtained by SaharaReporters, the victims were seen lying lifeless on the roadside, their bodies partially covered with clothing and leaves by sympathisers who arrived at the scene after the attackers had fled.

Eyewitnesses told SaharaReporters that the armed men, believed to be operating from hideouts in nearby forests, opened fire on the unsuspecting motorists in what appeared to be a coordinated ambush.

READ ALSO:INEC Fixes Voter Registration Resumption Dates For Anambra Election, Nationwide

Advertisement

It remains unclear whether the attackers also abducted any victims during the assault, as details were still emerging as of Friday morning.

The attack is the latest in a growing wave of violence that has gripped Kwara State’s Ifelodun and Irepodun local government areas in recent months.

Communities such as Babanla, Shegbe, Ologomo, Alabe, and Oreke in Ifelodun Local Government have faced repeated attacks, forcing hundreds of residents to flee their ancestral homes.

Advertisement

Many victims have been kidnapped for ransom, while others have been killed in similar raids.

READ ALSO:27 Feared Dead In Kwara Boat Mishap

Residents expressed fears that the violence could escalate further unless urgent security measures are taken.

Advertisement

Some community leaders have called on both the state and federal governments to deploy more security personnel to the affected areas, noting that many villages have been left vulnerable as attacks continue unabated.

As of the time of filing this report, the Kwara State Police Command had yet to release an official statement on the incident.

However, sources indicate that security operatives have been mobilised to the area to prevent further violence and reassure residents.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Why Portable Was Remanded In Kwara Prison Revealed

On August 24, 2025, SaharaReporters reported that hours after Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq visited Babanla community in Ifelodun Local Government Area to reassure residents of improved security, suspected bandits abducted two people in the area.

The governor visited the area to reassure residents and restore a sense of security amid ongoing fears of banditry and kidnappings.

Advertisement

However, the criminals struck soon after his departure, highlighting the persistent threat and heightening tension in the community.

The incident reportedly threw residents into fresh panic despite earlier promises of tighter security measures.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Suspected Amasiri Warriors Invade Ebonyi Community, Behead Farmer Amid Land Dispute

Published

on

By

Tragedy struck on Tuesday, August 26, at Okporojo Idima, Oso Edda in the Edda Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, as armed warriors from neighbouring Amasiri community reportedly invaded the farmland of one Mr. Dike Nnachi, beheaded him, and took his head away as a trophy.

The attack marks a continuation of violent hostilities in the area, coming barely four months after the April invasion in which at least four people, including a pregnant woman and her 12-year-old son, were brutally killed.

Advertisement

That incident also left property worth millions of naira destroyed.

Residents told reporters that the latest killing has deepened fears across Oso Edda, as locals now question the effectiveness of the state government’s ongoing peace efforts.

READ ALSO:Two Die As Mining Pit Collapses In Ebonyi

Advertisement

The Governor of Ebonyi State, Francis Nwifuru, had, through the Ministry of Border Peace and Conflict Resolution, initiated dialogue between warring communities to stem the tide of violence.

However, Tuesday’s bloodshed is seen as a direct challenge to those peace moves.

Community leaders have called for urgent intervention, warning that unless decisive action is taken, the violence could escalate further, leaving more lives and property in jeopardy.

Advertisement

In April, renewed violence broke out over a longstanding land dispute between Ndukwe community in Amasiri, Afikpo Local Government Area, and Okporojo in Edda Local Government Area of the state.

READ ALSO:Radio Station Suspends GM For Criticising Ebonyi Gov

The hostilities left houses and properties worth millions of naira destroyed, as attackers, reportedly from Amasiri, launched assaults on Okporojo.

Advertisement

The worsening security situation forced many residents of Edda to abandon the Amasiri road, opting instead to travel through Afikpo town due to fear of further attacks.

Although previous administrations attempted to resolve the crisis, including the release of a white paper based on a government committee’s recommendations, implementation has reportedly stalled, allowing the conflict to fester and violence to recur.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version