Metro
NAPTIP Rescues Eight Stolen Children From Delta Orphanage

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons on Tuesday said it rescued eight children suspected of having been stolen from northern states and trafficked to the south.
This followed a raid on a popular orphanage in the Delta state capital, Asaba.
NAPTIP’s spokesperson, Vincent Adekoye, revealed the development in a statement he signed and released on Tuesday titled ‘NAPTIP rescues eight suspected stolen children from a popular orphanage in Asaba.’
The agency said the operation, conducted with the Department of State Services, the Nigerian police and local civil society groups, followed years of complaints from parents in Kano and neighbouring states over missing children.
According to the statement, syndicates posing as traders allegedly lured children aged between two and 10 from communities and transported them south, often vanishing overnight.
“In 2017, some parents in Kano and other States in the Region raised an alarm on the unwholesome activities of some syndicates who move from one Community to another other luring children mostly between the ages of two years to 10 years and trafficking them to other parts of the country.
READ ALSO:I’m Not Coming, Speed Darlington Defies NAPTIP Arrest Warrant
“The investigation revealed that the syndicates operating under the guise of traders typically work in two batches.
“While a syndicate normally lives briefly within such a Community, gets used to the children, and later disappears with them, others come in as traders and operate from parks and terminals, where they lure unaccompanied children on their way to school and errands,” it read.
In the Asaba orphanage, operatives found over 70 children, including newborns, though only eight were confirmed as those abducted from Kano.
They have since been reunited with their families, the agency confirmed.
“The rescued children were identified through their pictures and other features by the representative of the concerned parents from Kano State, out of the over 70 children found inside the Orphanage, including neonates,” the statement quoted NAPTIP’s Director General, Binta Bello, as saying.
“NAPTIP is seriously worried over the unwholesome activities of these so–called orphanages and Care Homes. Imagine over 70 children inside an orphanage, and the number keeps increasing daily.
READ ALSO:VIDEO: FCTA Seals NAPTIP Headquarters In Abuja
“The big question is, where are these children from?” she queried.
The activities of orphanages in Nigeria have increasingly come under public scrutiny in recent years, following investigations by journalists and campaigners into child trafficking rings.
In 2023, investigative journalist Fisayo Soyombo exposed how some facilities had been used as cover for the sale of babies, prompting calls for stricter regulation of children’s homes.
NAPTIP said cases of child kidnapping incidents climaxed in 2022 when another set of over 25 children were allegedly lured and trafficked out of the northern region by the same suspected syndicate.
This, it said, prompted a public outcry from stakeholders, including members of the Civil Society Organisation in the Communities within the states.
In a letter dated 15th December, 2022, a Non – Non-Governmental Organisation, Protection Against The Abduction of Our Children, in a petition addressed to the Director General of NAPTIP, titled, ‘Demand for Justice and Address the Child Abduction in Kano State and Nigeria’ sought the assistance of the Agency in rescuing the abducted children.
READ ALSO:NAPTIP Rescues Seven Girls From Iraq-bound Trafficking Ring In Abuja Hotel
The organisation said, “On behalf of over 200 parents who are the victims of the series of abducted children, past and present, we are writing to seek your support and demand justice following the terrible experience we are facing.”
“We, the parents, are in serious pain. Some of us are already hospitalised, while others passed away due to the shock of the children abducted and the continuous uncertainty and suspense daily waiting for the report whether they will be found dead or alive”, one beleaguered parent lamented.
After a series of interactions with the Kano State Government through the State Ministry of Women Affairs, NAPTIP said it commenced a discreet investigation to ascertain the location of the suspected trafficked children to rescue them unhurt.
“This led to the intelligence-driven operations in Anambra and Delta States,” Adekoye wrote.
“While the operation in Awka, Anambra State, was unsuccessful as the syndicate reportedly moved the children away to an unknown location overnight, the operatives moved to Asaba and rescued eight of the suspected trafficked children from one of the popular orphanages located inside Asaba, the Delta State capital.
“Report from the operation indicated that while over 70 Children were discovered inside the Orphanage with about 15 newborn babies, only eight children were identified as allegedly stolen from Kano State, and they were subsequently rescued,” he stated.
READ ALSO:I’m Not Coming, Speed Darlington Defies NAPTIP Arrest Warrant
NAPTIP’s Chief, Bello, explained that the rescued children were identified through photographs and distinguishing features by representatives of the affected parents from Kano, out of more than 70 children, including newborns, discovered in the orphanage.
She expressed deep concern over what she described as the unwholesome activities of some orphanages and care homes, questioning the origins of the large number of children housed in such facilities.
Bello accused the operator of the orphanage of evading investigation by turning to social media to spread falsehoods against the agency, instead of presenting himself to NAPTIP’s Kano Zonal Command.
She clarified that operatives met the owner’s wife during the raid but did not arrest her since she was not the target, and that contact information was left behind for the owner to reach the agency.
“On the day of the operation, our Operatives met the wife of the Owner of the Orphanage there. She was not arrested because she was not our target.
“She was informed of the allegation, and the necessary contact was left behind so that the Owner can reach us,” Bello explained.
READ ALSO:Men Now Becoming Victims Of Domestic Violence – NAPTIP
She added, “Those children were rescued and taken to the necessary arm of the Government in Kano State.
“They have been duly identified and reunited with their families.
“So, the raw falsehood based on religious labelling being sold to the public through social media by this unpatriotic individual is regrettable, and it will not distract us from carrying out our mandate.”
The NAPTIP chief urged state ministries of women affairs across the country to scrutinise the activities of orphanages and care homes, pledging that the agency would continue its oversight role in line with the Trafficking in Persons (Control of Activities of Organisations and Centres) Regulations 2019.
She commended the DSS, the police, and other partners for their collaboration, stressing that the operation underscored NAPTIP’s commitment to combating child trafficking, protecting vulnerable children, and ensuring justice in line with the law.
(PUNCH)
Metro
Violence Rocks APC Reps Primary In Ekiti Ward, Exercise Declared Inconclusive

Chaos erupted at the All Progressives Congress, APC, primary for Ward 10, Fajuyi Pavilion, Ado Local Government Area of Ekiti State on Saturday.
Electoral officials halted the process and declared it inconclusive after violence broke out among party supporters.
The primary pitted Olushola Fatoba against Tope Ogunleye, widely known as RST. Loyalists and agents of both aspirants had converged on Fajuyi Pavilion before voting was scheduled to begin.
According to eyewitnesses, tensions rose when suspected thugs allegedly backing Fatoba stormed the venue wielding canes and firearms. Their arrival appeared aimed at intimidating Ogunleye’s supporters and suppressing turnout.
READ ALSO:APC Clears Wike Loyalists, Disqualifies All Fubara-aligned Aspirants For State Assembly
Despite the hostile atmosphere, Ogunleye’s backers held their ground, chanting solidarity songs in support of their candidate. Voting eventually started under heavy tension.
Observers at the scene said Ogunleye seemed to have the larger share of support among members present, with his base visibly outnumbering the opposition.
Violence broke out after Fatoba’s camp allegedly sensed an imminent loss. Clashes between both groups forced an abrupt end to voting.
During the unrest, Ogunleye’s agent, Mr. Sunday, was assaulted. Another member, Mr. Femi Ogunleye, was reportedly beaten and his Tecno Spark 9 phone seized. A female supporter, Mrs. Oluwaseun Osamuwa, was also attacked and her Apple Smart Wrist Watch stolen. Both Mr. Femi Ogunleye and Mrs. Osamuwa sustained injuries and were rushed to hospital.
READ ALSO:Rumblings In APC Over Aborted Deal With Lawmakers
As of press time, no winner had emerged and the Ward 10 primary remained inconclusive.
The violence has renewed concerns over thuggery and intimidation in internal party elections. Party members and political observers say the incident raises serious questions about voters’ ability to freely choose candidates without fear.
Stakeholders are calling on security agencies and electoral authorities to probe the disruption, ensure justice for those attacked, and safeguard the credibility of future primaries.
Metro
My Wife Destroyed My Property, Instigated Our Children To Beat Me, Man Tells Court

The Grade A Customary Court, Court 2, sitting in Mapo, Ibadan, Oyo State, has delivered judgment in a divorce suit filed by a man, Theophilus, against his wife, Aina, whom she accused of lack of affection, frequent quarrels, and domestic violence.
According to Theophilus, Aina was stubborn and always insisted on having things her own way.
He further said that she was disobedient and refused to listen to him.
The plaintiff also told the court that the defendant was hostile towards their friends and neighbours, which often led to conflicts between them.
READ ALSO:My Wife Attempted Suicide, Turned Our Children Against Me ‘Cos I Suddenly Became Poor —Husband
He further claimed that Aina was violent and would attack him with any object within her reach during disagreements.
In addition, he accused her of destroying his property whenever they had differences.
Theophilus also explained that Aina turned their children against him.
He stated that they assaulted him and damaged his belongings.
He told the court that he eventually left their home because he feared for his safety and believed that the defendant intended to harm him.
READ ALSO:My Husband Is A Figurehead, I Feed Our Five Children, Pay Their Fees
The plaintiff therefore appealed to the court to dissolve their marriage and also requested an order restraining Aina from threatening him or interfering with his privacy.
Aina was absent from court despite being served court summons.
Theophilus, while giving his testimony before the court, stated, “I have not enjoyed peace or rest of mind since I married my wife.
“I paid her bride price to her family, but they rejected it.
“My wife is far from being a virtuous woman.
“She was never submissive and was always full of herself.
READ ALSO:My Wife Of 22yrs Denies Me Sex —Husband
“She had no respect for me and disobeyed my instructions whenever she wished.
“She neither listened to me nor accepted my advice.
“My wife was also violent.
“During disagreements, she attacked me with any dangerous object she could lay her hands on.
“On three different occasions, Aina destroyed my property.
“Our neighbours and friends were not exempt from her hostility.
READ ALSO:Man Jumped To His Death To Avoid Being Caught By Lover’s Husband
“She was constantly at loggerheads with them and fought with them on several occasions.
“My wife also turned our children against me.
“They beat me mercilessly and nearly killed me.
“They also destroyed my belongings.
“I left the house after the incident because it became obvious that my wife wanted me dead.
READ ALSO:My Husband Is A Figurehead, I Feed Our Five Children, Pay Their Fees
“I came to court to seek the dissolution of our marriage because my wife’s presence in my life has brought me nothing but pain and suffering.
“I sincerely appeal to the court to dissolve our marriage.
“I also request an order restraining her from threatening me or interfering with my privacy.”
The Court President, Mrs. O. E. Owoseni, while delivering judgment, stated that there was no valid marriage to dissolve because no marital rites were performed, and no bride price was paid.
Owoseni also issued an order restraining the defendant from threatening or interfering with the plaintiff’s private life
Metro
‘I Have Nowhere To Go, He Married Me At 14yrs Old, Now He Wants Divorce 30yrs After’

A 44-year-old woman, Zainab Isah, has told a Shari’a Court 1 sitting at Magajin Gari, Kaduna, Kaduna State, that she had nowhere to go after her divorce from her husband, Alhaji Abdulhamid.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Zainab told the court that Abdulhamid married her when she was 14 years old.
“I have been married to him for 30 years now and our union is blessed with 10 children,” she stated.
She further said that her husband divorced her on January 1.
READ ALSO:My Husband Disappeared From Home For Six Years, Left Me, Our Children To Starve — Wife
“I am yet to complete my waiting period (Iddah), as required under Islam.
“I lived in peace with my co-wives but I can’t leave my children for them; three of my children are sick,” she said.
Earlier , Abdulrashid Musa, counsel to Abdulhamid, prayed the court to compel Zainab to leave his house since they were no longer married.
He said he had issued two pronouncement of divorce to the defendant.
READ ALSO:After Divorce, She Became A Tenant In My House —Ex-husband
The first, he said was pronounced on December 29, 2025, adding that she had finished her Iddah.
He stated that all efforts made by him to ensure she leaves his house, failed.
He alleged that she was causing trouble for his other wives.
READ ALSO:My Wife Swore To Kill Me, Stopped Cooking For Me — Husband
The complainant however, told the court that he was ready to pay for his ex wife’s rent when she gets a new place to live with her children.
The judge, Malam Mu’awiya Shehu said the rights of a woman for shelter, feeding and other provisions by the husband ends when divorce occur adding that only the children have the right to be taken care of .
He adjourned the matter to June 1 for the defendant to find a new place she can relocate to with her children.
Politics5 days agoFubara Clears Air On ‘Defection’ To NDC [VIDEO]
News4 days agoGun Battle In Oyo Forest As Police Disrupt ₦10m Ransom Collection Plot
Politics3 days agoFour Fubara Loyalists Disqualified As APC Clears 21 For Rivers Reps Primaries
Metro4 days agoDrama As Teenagers Stage Secret Wedding With N3,000 Bride Price
Politics3 days ago2027: Court Rebukes Plaintiff, Lawyer In Suit Against Jonathan, Awards N1m Fine
News3 days agoLagos Sanctions 15 Money Lending Companies For Sharp Practices
Politics5 days ago2027: Daniel-Abiodun Feud Deepens Over Senatorial Ticket For Ogun East
News4 days agoPAP Sends Additional 15 Scholarship Beneficiaries For Post-Graduate Studies In UK
Entertainment5 days agoGrammy Announces Date For 2027 Awards Nominations
Sports4 days agoCAF Introduces New Laws After Chaotic AFCON Final In Morocco















