Connect with us

Headline

NDE Trains 100 Youths On Entrepreneurship Skills In Bauchi

Published

on

A cross section of the trainees

The National Directorate of Employment (NDE) in Bauchi State has commenced a five-day entrepreneurship training for 100 unemployed youths in the state.

Speaking during the commencement of the training exercise in Bauchi on Monday, the Director General of NDE, Malam Abubakar Fikpo, said that the training would broaden the minds and horizons of the participants.

Advertisement

Represented by the state Coordinator of the directorate, Mr Lawan Yaya, the DG also said that the training exercise was designed to expose the participants to entrepreneurial skills as well as introduce them to loan granting agencies.

Fikpo, who stated that the training was taking place in all the 36 states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), said the exercise was a collaboration between the directorate and Nazee Mursaj consultant company.

We feel that to achieve our mandate, there is a need for us to have an entrepreneurship training that will broaden your mind, open your eyes to see the nitty gritty of how to access these federal government intervention programmes.

Advertisement

“There are various loan granting institutions such as the Bank of Agric, Bank of Industry, Nirsal Micro Finance Bank of the CBN that are giving out loans to Nigerian.

“However, most people don’t get the loans when they apply because they don’t know the nitty gritty of accessing these loans.

“You will be introduced to various business ideas as well as various topics that would pave the way for you to actualise your dreams as entrepreneurs by accessing these loan granting agencies and becoming your own boss,” he said.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: NDE Trains 25 Unemployed Graduates On Solar Installation, Maintenance

The NDE boss who explained that the participants were randomly selected across the 20 Local Government Areas of the state, however, urged them to pay utmost attention during lectures and listen attentively to all the resource persons during the training.

One of the beneficiaries, Latifat Mohammed, appreciated the NDE and the federal government for the ‘kind gesture’, adding that she would do everything possible to succeed as an entrepreneur through the training.

Advertisement

Headline

Russia Hits Out At Macron For Calling Putin ‘Ogre’

Published

on

By

Moscow on Friday slammed Emmanuel Macron for what it called “vulgar insults”, after the French president called Russian leader Vladimir Putin a “predator” and “ogre”.

Macron warned European leaders not to trust Putin in an interview with the LCI broadcaster last week.

Advertisement

“For his own survival, (he) needs to keep eating … That means he is a predator, an ogre at our gates,” Macron said.

READ ALSO:Russia Claims More Ukraine Land As Hopes For Summit Fade

He made the comments after a landmark meeting with US President Donald Trump along with Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelensky and European allies in Washington.

Advertisement

Russia’s foreign ministry slammed the remarks: “They cross the line of not just reasonableness, but decency, becoming vulgar insults against Russia and its people,” spokeswoman Maria Zakharova told a televised briefing.

Moscow has long criticised France’s support for Ukraine and accused Paris of provoking the conflict. France has been one of Kyiv’s staunchest backers since Russia launched its full-scale military offensive in February 2022, supplying weapons and financial aid.

AFP

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Headline

Trump Moves To Cut More Foreign Aid, Risking Shutdown

Published

on

By

US President Donald Trump has moved to block $5 billion of congressionally-approved foreign aid, the White House said Friday — raising the likelihood of a federal shutdown as Democrats oppose the policy.

The cuts “affect programs of the Department of State and the United States Agency for International Development,” Trump wrote in a letter to the House of Representatives.

Advertisement

The Republican president “will always put AMERICA FIRST,” the White House Office of Management and Budget said on social media, releasing a copy of the letter.

The Trump administration has effectively dismantled USAID, the chief US foreign aid agency, since taking office.

READ ALSO:Russia Hits Ukraine With ‘Massive’ Deadly Overnight Strikes

Advertisement

Founded in 1961 as John F. Kennedy sought to leverage aid to win over the developing world in the Cold War, USAID has been incorporated into the State Department after Secretary of State Marco Rubio slashed 85 percent of its programming.

Trump, after taking office for the second time in January, launched a sweeping campaign to downsize or dismantle swaths of the US government.

Republicans control both chambers of Congress, but need Democrat support in the Senate to pass new spending laws.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Two US Pastors Arrested In $50m Human Trafficking, Fraud Case

Trump, deploying a little-tested legislative tactic, has sought to claw back the spending late in the fiscal year so that Congress may not have time to vote before the funding expires next month.

Democrats have warned that any attempt to reverse funding already approved by Congress would end any negotiations to avoid budgetary paralysis, the so-called shutdown, after September 30.

Advertisement

The United States last averted shutdown, with hours to spare, in March.

Shutdowns are rare but disruptive and costly, as everyday functions like food inspections halt, and parks, monuments and federal buildings shut up shop.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Headline

Trump Administration Proposes New Rule Limiting Nigerians, Others

Published

on

By

The Trump administration has unveiled a proposal that would restrict the length of time international students can remain in the United States for their studies.

According to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the regulation, which is expected to be published on Thursday, would impose a four-year cap on student visas and other categories of temporary admissions.

Advertisement

According to Fox News, the DHS said the proposal is part of efforts to curb “visa abuse” and strengthen the government’s ability to “properly vet and oversee these individuals.”

READ ALSO:Why I Plotted President Trump’s Assassination – 50-yr-old Woman

It added that some students have “taken advantage of U.S. generosity” and become “forever” students by staying enrolled in colleges to prolong their residence.

Advertisement

“For too long, past Administrations have allowed foreign students and other visa holders to remain in the U.S. virtually indefinitely, posing safety risks, costing untold amount of taxpayer dollars, and disadvantaging U.S. citizens,” a DHS spokesperson stated.

This new proposed rule would end that abuse once and for all by limiting the amount of time certain visa holders are allowed to remain in the U.S., easing the burden on the federal government to properly oversee foreign students and their history,” the spokesperson continued.

Currently, F visa holders may stay in the U.S. for the “duration of status,” meaning the period they are enrolled full-time. The new proposal would allow stays for the length of a programme but would not permit them to exceed four years, generally less than the time needed for postgraduate studies.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Trump, Putin Make No Breakthrough On Ukraine Deal, End Summit

Foreign journalists would also be affected. Under the plan, they would receive an initial admission period of 240 days, with the possibility of a single extension for another 240 days, but not longer than their assignment.

The DHS said regular assessments would provide “proper oversight” and help reduce the number of people residing in the U.S. on temporary visas.

Advertisement

But education experts warned the measure could hurt universities financially. International students typically pay higher tuition and have fewer opportunities for scholarships, which contributes significantly to the financial support of American colleges.

It will certainly act as an additional deterrent to international students choosing to study in the United States, to the detriment of American economies, innovation, and global competitiveness,” Fanta Aw, executive director and CEO of NAFSA: Association of International Educators, said in a statement to Politico.

­

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version