Metro
New Naira: How My Pregnant Wife Died In Kano Hospital – Husband
Published
3 years agoon
By
Editor
A 32-year-old woman, Shema’u Labaran, died along with her nine-month pregnancy at the Abdullahi Wase Specialist Hospital, Kano, reportedly due to the inability of her husband to pay medical bills in the new naira notes in time.
Labaran was allegedly left in pain for more than eight hours without attention from the medical personnel on duty.
Narrating the unfortunate incident that led to his wife’s death, the 42-year-old husband of the deceased, Bello Baffa, told an online newspaper on Saturday that his wife (Shema’u) bled to death while he was struggling to settle medical bills at the pharmacy through transfer.
READ ALSO: New naira: Commercial Sex Workers Count Losses, Decry Low Patronage
Baffa revealed how he spent hours waiting for the cashier to confirm the payment of N8,528 for drugs because the hospital had stopped receiving the old naira notes.
The bereaved husband regretted that the medical personnel insisted they would not attend to his late wife until he deposited money and provided evidence before his wife would be attended to.
Baffa said he had earlier provided N8,500 old naira notes to the cashier but he was told the hospital management had placed an embargo on the old currency and refused to provide a point-of-sale service except payment through transfer.
Baffa told the online platform that the hospital subsequently requested N4,000 for blood service after he had brought his relatives to donate blood for his wife.
”I was told I had to pay an additional N4,000 for blood service, and I quickly rushed out to the payment point. At that time, it was late and (I was) afraid my wife had suffered a lot without medical attention. So after I made the payment and waited for an alert, I had to beg them to issue the payment evidence while my brother would remain with them pending when they would confirm the transfer. I also narrated my wife’s condition. They accepted the condition and the receipt was printed. I rushed to the ward again and it was at that moment, getting to 1am, that my wife was taken to the labour room.”
Regrettably, Baffa disclosed that the doctor later came out of the labour room around 3am to break the bad news, ‘your wife and unborn baby could not make it.’
Although the husband said he believed Shema’u would die at an appropriate time, he insisted that the alleged inhumane treatment by the hospital to his wife because of the old naira notes rejection contributed to her sudden death.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Sanwo-Olu Calls For Calm Amidst Fuel, Naira Scarcity Crises
Baffa disclosed that he had taken to fate as a Muslim. He, however, urged the government to check the painful policy to save innocent lives from untimely death the way he lost Shema’u.
Efforts to get a reaction from the management of the hospital were not successful as our correspondent was directed to speak to the state hospital management board.
When contacted, the spokesperson for the board, Ibrahim Abdullahi, who confirmed the incident, stressed that the management had commenced investigation into the matter.
He noted that the Chief Medical Director is scheduled to brief journalists about the development as soon as the investigation is concluded.
You may like
Court Dismisses Suit Challenging Arabic Inscriptions On Naira Notes
Cash Crunch: Edo Residents Heave Sign Of Relief Over CBN’s Comments On Old Naira Notes
Oil Marketers Reject Old Naira Notes Despite CBN Directive
JUST IN: At Last, CBN Breaks Silence, Says Old Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender Till December
Naira: CBN Has No Reason To Disobey Court Orders — Presidency
Why Governors Are Against New Naira —El-Rufai
Metro
Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
Published
13 hours agoon
August 28, 2025By
Editor
The Anambra State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of five suspected members of a notorious armed robbery and kidnapping syndicate, including a confessed deserter of the Nigerian Army, in Awka, the state capital.
According to a statement issued on Thursday by the Public Relations Officer of the Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the operation was carried out on Wednesday, August 27, 2025, by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) in Awkuzu.
Ikenga said the operation was carried out after the Command received intelligence on the abduction of a farmer at Isiagu, Awka.
The victim was reportedly released after an undisclosed amount of ransom was paid.
The police spokesperson said that, acting on credible intelligence, police operatives stormed the gang’s hideout at Notoko, Awka, leading to the arrest of the confessed deserter soldier and four other suspects.
Ikenga identified the suspects as 38-year-old Dominic Oraz, a confessed deserter of the Nigerian Army; 30-year-old Michael Nwobodo; 29-year-old Eze Friday; 23-year-old Uche Okolo, and 29-year-old Chinedu Gilbert.
“Exhibits recovered from the suspects include six automatic pump-action guns, 63 rounds of live cartridges, one microscope, five machetes, one military cap, two police teargas canisters, handcuffs, a robber’s rocket launcher, criminal charms, three Motorola walkie-talkies, one jack knife, one power bank and cash sum of N26,000,” Ikenga stated.
He said that during interrogation, Oraz admitted abandoning the military in November 2024.
READ ALSO:UK To Bar Criminals From Football Matches, Pubs, Travel Under New Policy
Ikenga noted that investigations are ongoing, particularly regarding the deserter soldier, in collaboration with military authorities, to guide further police action and prosecution of all suspects.
He said the Commissioner of Police, CP Ikioye Orutugu, commended the operatives for the operation and urged residents of the state to remain vigilant and to continue to report suspicious activities to the Police for prompt action.
The commissioner also assured Ndi Anambra of the Command’s unwavering commitment to combating violent crimes.
Metro
Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
Published
13 hours agoon
August 28, 2025By
Editor
The Anambra State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of five suspected members of a notorious armed robbery and kidnapping syndicate, including a confessed deserter of the Nigerian Army, in Awka, the state capital.
According to a statement issued on Thursday by the Public Relations Officer of the Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the operation was carried out on Wednesday, August 27, 2025, by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) in Awkuzu.
Ikenga said the operation was carried out after the Command received intelligence on the abduction of a farmer at Isiagu, Awka.
The victim was reportedly released after an undisclosed amount of ransom was paid.
READ ALSO:Vigilantes Beat, Strip Female Corps Member In Anambra
The police spokesperson said that, acting on credible intelligence, police operatives stormed the gang’s hideout at Notoko, Awka, leading to the arrest of the confessed deserter soldier and four other suspects.
Ikenga identified the suspects as 38-year-old Dominic Oraz, a confessed deserter of the Nigerian Army; 30-year-old Michael Nwobodo; 29-year-old Eze Friday; 23-year-old Uche Okolo, and 29-year-old Chinedu Gilbert.
“Exhibits recovered from the suspects include six automatic pump-action guns, 63 rounds of live cartridges, one microscope, five machetes, one military cap, two police teargas canisters, handcuffs, a robber’s rocket launcher, criminal charms, three Motorola walkie-talkies, one jack knife, one power bank and cash sum of N26,000,” Ikenga stated.
He said that during interrogation, Oraz admitted abandoning the military in November 2024.
READ ALSO:Anambra Arrest Four For Impersonation
Ikenga noted that investigations are ongoing, particularly regarding the deserter soldier, in collaboration with military authorities, to guide further police action and prosecution of all suspects.
He said the Commissioner of Police, CP Ikioye Orutugu, commended the operatives for the operation and urged residents of the state to remain vigilant and to continue to report suspicious activities to the Police for prompt action.
The commissioner also assured Ndi Anambra of the Command’s unwavering commitment to combating violent crimes.
Metro
Enugu Vigilantes Beat Young Man To Death Over Alleged Stealing Of Woman’s Clothes
Published
13 hours agoon
August 28, 2025By
Editor
Members of the Neighbourhood Watch in Amagu Iwollo Oghe community, Ezeagu Local Government Area of Enugu State, have allegedly beaten a young man, Mr. Nosike Madueke, popularly known as Wojuwo, to death over a false theft allegation.
Community sources told SaharaReporters that the vigilante group was led by the Chief Security Officer (CSO) of the community, Mr. Chukwuebuka Hillary Ngwueche, also known as Osuofia.
According to one of the sources, the incident occurred on Monday, August 25, 2025, when the local security men attacked Madueke with “dangerous weapons” after he was accused of stealing a box of clothes belonging to Mrs. Nneka Nwankwo.
The source explained that Nwankwo had earlier hired Madueke and his co-workers to repair or dig her septic tank and soakaway, but later raised an alarm claiming her box of clothes had gone missing.
READ ALSO:Enugu Court Remands Ritualist, Two Others, For Kidnapping, Murder
“Instead of handing Madueke over to the appropriate authority, especially the police, they decided to jointly and severally take the laws into their respective hands by arresting Madueke, dragging him to his house for a search, bringing out his clothes, and burning all the clothes,” the source said.
“They tied Madueke on both his hands and legs and started profusely, taking turns by using offensive weapons such as guns, machetes, and irons, to beat him up till he died.”
“This happened in public at Iwollo Oghe Square. How can a trained CSO and his men kill a whole human being on a mere allegation by a woman of stealing her cloth, which was later found,” the source said.
“The young boy was from Imeziolo, Ezeagu LGA of Enugu State.”
READ ALSO:Two Sisters Kidnap Brother In Enugu
According to another source, this marks the third time residents of Iwollo Oghe, either directly or through its purported security outfits, have been linked to the killing of people from the deceased’s community.
“Sometime in 1987, they shot Hyacinth Adinde with a gun and asked the people of Madueke community to do their worst.
“Also, years later, they killed Engr. Christopher Aniagbaoso, and yet they asked the people of the community to do their worst.
“The people of Iwollo Oghe are in the habit of killing the people of Imeziolo on mere suspicious grounds,” the source alleged.
READ ALSO:Enugu To Regulate Native Doctors, Herbalists
“We call on the Enugu State command to do justice to this case as information reaching us revealed that the men are on the run after killing the young boy,” the source added.
A video obtained by SaharaReporters showed the deceased being beaten with sticks by men believed to be members of the Neighbourhood Watch, who were seen parading him along a community road.
Moments later in the footage, his lifeless body appeared on the ground, surrounded by residents, some of whom lamented, “See how they killed somebody’s only son for nothing.”
READ ALSO:UK Opens Visa Application Centres In Enugu, Port Harcourt
According to a source, the case has since been reported to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) of the Enugu State Police Command.
However, repeated attempts by SaharaReporters to obtain the reaction of the Police Command were unsuccessful.
Calls to the mobile phone of the Command’s spokesperson, DSP Daniel Ndukwe, went unanswered, and a WhatsApp message sent to him also received no response as of the time of filing this report.
- Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday
- Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs
- Lawyers Fault EFCC Statement, Say It’s Misleading
- Tricycle Riders Sentenced To Five Years Over WhatsApp Group Mobilising Protest Against Nigerian Gov
- Ebonyi Raises Minimum Wage From N70,000 To N90,000
- Trump Administration Proposes New Rule Limiting Nigerians, Others
- Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
- Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
- Enugu Vigilantes Beat Young Man To Death Over Alleged Stealing Of Woman’s Clothes
- BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
Trending
- News5 days ago
DSS Issues Warning, Arrests Man For Circulating Fake Recruitment Materials
- Politics4 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- Politics5 days ago
2027: You Will Lose 80% Of Northern Muslim Votes If…, APC Forum Warns Tinubu
- News3 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Politics5 days ago
Primate Ayodele Releases Fresh Prophecies On FIRS, FAAN, Others
- Headline4 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- Metro4 days ago
UNIZIK Suspends Doctors, Nurses, Security Personnel Over 100-level Student’s Death
- News5 days ago
‘Na Only People You Gave Work Love You,’ Singer Speed Darlington Tells Tinubu
- Headline4 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics3 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South