Connect with us

Sports

Newcastle Thrash Crystal Palace To Go Third In Premier League

Published

on

Newcastle soared up to third in the Premier League with a 5-0 thrashing of Crystal Palace on Wednesday to close in on a return to the Champions League next season.

Jacob Murphy, Harvey Barnes, Fabian Schar and Alexander Isak were on target for the Magpies, with Marc Guehi also scoring an own goal, as Newcastle made light of the absence of manager Eddie Howe due to pneumonia.

A sixth consecutive victory in all competitions opens up a five-point lead for Newcastle over sixth-placed Chelsea, with a place in the top five good enough for Champions League qualification.

Advertisement

Palace remain down in 12th with their season now fully focused on an FA Cup semi-final date with Aston Villa later this month.

READ ALSO: BREAKING: Juventus Sack Motta, Appoint New Head Coach

Newcastle travel to Villa on Saturday in a huge clash in the battle for European places.

Advertisement

But the League Cup winners are pulling away from the chasing pack for a top-five finish, buoyed by ending their 70-year wait for domestic silverware last month.

“That gave us huge confidence,” said Newcastle assistant manager Jason Tindall, who is was deputising for Howe, of lifting the League Cup.

“We were able to enjoy that for a period of time but we knew what our objectives were for the remainder of the season – to finish as high up the league table as possible.

Advertisement

“The manager always leads and sets that example of never switching off. They’ve gone out there, been really consistent and delivering performances.”

READ ALSO: [BREAKING] EPL: Frankfurt’s Striker Omar Marmoush Joins Manchester City

Isak wasted two big early chances to open the scoring when he was firstly denied by a fine Dean Henderson save and then headed over from Murphy’s enticing cross.

Advertisement

Newcastle only had to wait until the 14th minute to open the scoring when Murphy blasted in a remarkable finish from a narrow angle.

– Eze fluffs penalty –
Palace were gifted the chance to get back into the game when goalkeeper Nick Pope rushed off his line and wiped out Chris Richards in his attempt to punch the ball clear.

After a lengthy VAR check, a penalty was finally awarded.

Advertisement

However, Eberechi Eze’s lackadaisical spot-kick was easily collected by the relieved Pope.

Within a minute, Newcastle had doubled their lead when Guehi turned into his own net as he attempted to block Barnes’ cross towards Isak.

READ ALSO: EPL: Man City Confirm Kyle Walker’s Loan To AC Milan

Advertisement

The England defender has been regularly linked with a move to Tyneside and has now scored an own goal in each of Palace’s two meetings with Newcastle this season.

There are some days where nothing works, and at the same time everything worked for Newcastle,” said Palace boss Oliver Glasner.

We couldn’t deal with their intensity and directness and pace.”

Advertisement

It went from bad to worse for the visitors as Barnes continued his fine form with a composed finish for his fourth goal in three games.

Murphy’s free-kick was then flicked in by Schar to make it 4-0 before the break.

The normally lethal Isak continued to be frustrated in front of goal as Henderson spread himself to deny another effort from point-blank range early in the second half.

Advertisement

However, the Swedish striker finally got his 25th goal of the season with a fine finish from outside the area just before the hour mark.

 

Advertisement

Sports

Manchester United Confirm Carrick As Permanent Head Coach

Published

on

Manchester United on Friday confirmed the appointment of Michael Carrick as the club’s permanent head coach, ending months of speculation over the managerial position at Old Trafford.

The 44-year-old former midfielder, who had been serving in an interim capacity since January, signed a multi-year contract reportedly running for two years with an option for a further 12 months.

Carrick took charge following the departure of Ruben Amorim earlier this year and has overseen a strong revival in the club’s fortunes.

Advertisement

Under his leadership, United have won 10 of their last 15 matches in all competitions, secured qualification for next season’s UEFA Champions League and climbed to third place in the Premier League.

READ ALSO:Europa League: Manchester United Cruise Past 10-man Athletic As Fernandes Scores Twice

The club’s chief executive Omar Berrada and director of football Jason Wilcox reportedly recommended Carrick for the role, with co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe approving the appointment after talks progressed this week.

Advertisement

Carrick enjoyed a successful playing career at United, making 463 appearances and winning several major honours, including the Champions League and multiple Premier League titles.

Fernandes enters history book after Man Utd’s 1-0 win against Chelsea

After retiring from football, he managed Middlesbrough before returning to United’s coaching staff.

Advertisement

Club captain Bruno Fernandes is among senior players understood to have backed Carrick’s appointment, while assistants including Jonathan Woodgate are expected to remain part of the coaching setup.

READ ALSO:Manchester United Appoints New Manager Until 2027

The decision marks another managerial change for Manchester United since the retirement of legendary former manager Alex Ferguson in 2013.

Advertisement

Carrick said he was “honoured and excited” to take charge permanently.

This club means everything to me. We have momentum now, and I can’t wait to build on it with the players and staff,” he said.

United face Nottingham Forest on Sunday as preparations continue for next season.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

CAF Introduces New Laws After Chaotic AFCON Final In Morocco

Published

on

President of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), Patrice Motsepe, has revealed that the continental football body introduced new laws and regulations following the controversial conclusion of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final in Morocco.

The final, played on January 18, descended into chaos after Senegal’s national team walked off the pitch in protest when Morocco were awarded a penalty following a Video Assistant Referee (VAR) review in stoppage time with the match still goalless.

Senegal were initially crowned champions before the result was later overturned, with the match declared forfeited in favour of hosts Morocco. The delayed ruling sparked widespread criticism, with many questioning why the decision was not taken immediately during the game.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:George Weah Breaks Silence On CAF Stripping Senegal Of AFCON Title

Speaking to BBC Sport Africa on Wednesday, Motsepe admitted that shortcomings in officiating and match management contributed to the controversy.

We’ve done good work in terms of building the confidence and the trust amongst the football community of our referees and of our VAR,” Motsepe said.

Advertisement

But there are still these challenges and we’ve recognized what the deficiencies were that led to the unfortunate incidents we had in Morocco.”

According to the CAF president, new regulations have now been implemented to prevent a repeat of such incidents in future continental competitions.

READ ALSO:AFCON 2025 Final: CAF Suspends Hakimi, Thiaw, Fines Senegal, Morocco

Advertisement

Motsepe stated that the measures introduced “will ensure that doesn’t happen again.”

He further disclosed that visits to both Senegal and Morocco formed part of CAF’s efforts to rebuild trust and confidence following the disputed final.

“We are waiting for the judgement of the Court of Arbitration for Sport and African football is continuing to grow and develop,” he said.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Full List Of Winners At the 2025 CAF Awards

“Whatever decision comes, we will respect and implement.”

Motsepe also defended CAF’s decision to appoint Congolese referee Jean-Jacques Ndala to officiate a major continental club final despite the controversy surrounding his handling of the AFCON final.

Advertisement

“After the final in Morocco, the chairman of the referees committee came to the executive committee, and they gave a thorough report of his performance and assessed how he refereed the match in accordance with global best refereeing practices,” Motsepe added.

Continue Reading

Sports

FULL LIST: Top 10 Goalkeepers With The Most Clean Sheets In Europe’s Top Five Leagues

Published

on

A new statistical ranking across Europe’s top five leagues has revealed the goalkeepers with the most clean sheets in the 2025-26 season, with David Raya leading the standings.

This article covers performances across the Premier League, La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A and Bundesliga. Goalkeepers tied on the same number of clean sheets are ranked by goals conceded.

Here are top 10 goalkeepers with the most clean sheets in Europe’s top five leagues

Advertisement

1. David Raya – 18 clean sheets

The Arsenal shot-stopper has played a crucial role in the club’s defensive solidity this season, producing several important saves as he edges closer to the Premier League Golden Glove award.

READ ALSO:EPL: Cole Palmer Told To Leave Chelsea

Advertisement

2. Jean Butez – 18 clean sheets

The Como goalkeeper has matched Raya’s tally and has been central to the Italian side’s impressive defensive organisation under Cesc Fàbregas.

3. Mile Svilar – 16 clean sheets

Advertisement

Roma’s goalkeeper has continued his rise with a string of consistent performances as the club battles for European qualification.

4. Yann Sommer – 15 clean sheets

The experienced Swiss international has delivered key performances for Inter during their successful Serie A title campaign.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:EPL: They May Not Win All Remaining Matches – Paul Merson Predicts Title Winners

5. Joan García – 15 clean sheets

Barcelona’s new first-choice goalkeeper has impressed since taking over from Marc-André ter Stegen between the sticks.

Advertisement

6. Gianluigi Donnarumma – 15 clean sheets

The Italian international has continued to show his quality with several commanding performances throughout the campaign.

7. Mike Maignan – 14 clean sheets

Advertisement

AC Milan’s French goalkeeper remains one of Europe’s most dependable shot-stoppers, maintaining his strong form in Serie A.

8. Michele Di Gregorio – 14 clean sheets

The Juventus goalkeeper has been a reliable figure for the Turin side, helping maintain defensive consistency throughout the season.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:LaLiga: Mourinho’s Return To Real Madrid ‘In Final Stages’

9. Gregor Kobel – 14 clean sheets

The Borussia Dortmund goalkeeper leads Bundesliga representation on the list and continues to strengthen his reputation as one of Europe’s elite keepers.

Advertisement

10. Berke Özer – 13 clean sheets

The Lille goalkeeper rounds off the top 10 after an impressive campaign in Ligue 1, contributing significantly to the club’s defensive record.

With the season still ongoing, the race for the highest number of clean sheets remains open, although Raya currently leads the standings.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending