Connect with us

Metro

Nigeria Immigration Intercepts 6-month-old Baby, Three Other Human Trafficking Victims In Badagry

Published

on

The Nigerian Immigration Service, NIS, Lagos Border Patrol Command at Seme in Badagry, has intercepted a six month-old baby and three others, suspected to be victims of human trafficking.

Comptroller Peter Adache, the Controller of the command, who disclosed this while speaking with newsmen in Badagry on Friday, July 26, 2024, said the victims were intercepted with their traffickers, a couple, on Monday around 1.30.p.m, along Kankon Owode Road in Badagry

According to Adache, they were travelling to Burkina Faso, through Republic of Benin, without any relevant documents.

Advertisement

None of them was in possession of any travel documents, when they were intercepted at Owode Border,” he said.

READ ALSO.: Couple Jailed 5 Years For Trafficking Woman To Dubai For Prostitution

Adache said that during interrogation, it was revealed that one of suspected traffickers ,who is a food vendor and citizen of Burkina Faso, lured the victims to travel with her to the country

Advertisement

“The three ladies decided to follow her because she promised to give them good jobs and good salaries.

“She called her husband, who is a citizen of Benin Republic and they arranged how to transport the three ladies and the child to Burkina Faso.

“The traveling expenses and feeding for the 6 persons were paid by the couple,” he said.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Video Of Underaged Nigerian Girls Traffick£d To Ghana Trends Online [WATCH]

The comptroller said that the victims would be handed over to National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons, NAPTIP, to help reunite them with their families.

It is a painful situation and under this situation we cannot in any way look away. I have been directed by the Assistant Controller General of Immigration in charge of Zone A to hand them over to NAPTIP.

Advertisement

“The Lagos Border Patrol command of NIS will continue to ensure compliance to immigration rules and regulations and equally ensure protection of Nigerians and reintegration of victims to their families

“One of the suspected victim(name withheld), who is a mother of six-month-old child, said she and child were abandoned by her husband, hence her decision to travel with the couple to survive hardship.

“Shortly after I delivered my child, my husband left me alone to take care of the child.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: FCT Police Arrest Pastor, Others For Child-trafficking

“Since there is no help from any quarters, when she (suspected trafficker, approached me to go to Burkina Faso, I agreed because she said I will make money and do good jobs there

“The journey had been tedious until we were arrested by immigration officers, I want to go back home,” she said.

Advertisement

Suspected victims of human trafficking were later handed over to Ibraheem Ogunbiyi, the Assistant Director and Head, Counseling and Rehabilitation Unit of NAPTIP, Lagos Zonal Command.

Mr Ogunbiyi, represented Comfort Agboko, the NAPTIP, Zonal Commander, Lagos Zonal Command.

 

Advertisement

Metro

Army, Air Force Crush ISWAP Fighters After Failed Chibok Attack

Published

on

Troops of the 28 Task Force Brigade, Sector 4 Operation Hadin Kai, on Saturday stopped a major attack by ISWAP/Boko Haram fighters in Chibok, Borno State, before the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) moved in with airstrikes that killed many of the fleeing terrorists.

The report was contained in a post shared on X by security analyst Zagazola Makama.

According to the update, more than 300 terrorists launched a coordinated assault on Chibok around 3:00 a.m., attempting to break through military defensive positions.

Advertisement

Soldiers responded immediately, engaging the attackers in a fierce gunfight that lasted about two hours.

READ ALSO:Army Releases List Of Shortlisted Candidates For SSC Course

A security source quoted in the post said the troops acted swiftly and professionally.

Advertisement

There was no casualty on our side, and no equipment was affected,” the source said.

As the terrorists began to retreat toward the Timbuktu Triangle, ground troops called for air support.

NAF combat aircraft were deployed to the route used by the fleeing fighters.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:NAF Redeploys 25 Senior Officers

The airstrikes, guided by intelligence from the troops on the ground, hit several clusters of terrorists trying to escape.

Multiple waves of strikes were carried out, with both manned aircraft and an unmanned aerial platform targeting groups of fighters dispersing into the forest.

Advertisement

According to Makama, the combined efforts of the Army and the Air Force dealt heavy blows to the attackers, preventing them from regrouping after the failed offensive.

Continue Reading

Metro

Tanker Crash Kills Three, Fire Razes Shops In Kano

Published

on

Three people died on Friday after a petrol tanker crashed and caught fire in Kura Local Government Area of Kano State, while a separate blaze destroyed shops at Hamisu Plaza along Maiduguri Road.

The incidents were detailed in a statement issued on Saturday by the Public Relations Officer of the Kano State Fire Service, ACFO Saminu Yusif Abdullahi.

According to the statement, the first accident occurred around 1:30 p.m. when the agency received a call from retired Civil Defence officer Danlami Muhammad.

Advertisement

He reported that a tanker had fallen at the Kura market junction along Zaria Road.

READ ALSO:

Firefighters rushed from the headquarters to the scene and found a petrol tanker with the registration number NGZ 250 XA carrying about 30,000 litres of fuel. The tanker had overturned, caught fire and struck a cyclist who was on the road.

Advertisement

“The incident affected four people. Three of the victims were found unconscious and were later confirmed dead, while the cyclist managed to escape alive,” the Fire Service said.

Firefighters, working with the police and the Federal Road Safety Corps, brought the situation under control.

The victims were handed over to ASP Ahmad Lawan of the Kura Police Division.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Five Injured As Tanker, Bus Collide In Lagos

Two fire trucks, one from the headquarters and another from the Kura station responded to the call. The cause of the crash is still being investigated.

The second incident happened around 2:45 p.m. after the control room received a distress call from Fire Assistant III Ahmad Gwangwazo, reporting a fire at Hamisu Plaza in Taruni LGA.

Advertisement

On arrival, firefighters found a two-storey commercial building measuring about 200 by 200 feet with flames coming from the upper floor.

The fire affected three shops, while two others were saved,” the statement said.

The team was able to prevent the fire from spreading to the remaining shops on the first floor and the entire ground floor.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Petrol Tanker Explodes In Ibadan

A fire truck stationed at the ongoing trade fair also joined the operation. The cause of this fire is also under investigation.

The Director of the Kano State Fire Service, Alhaji Sani Anas, urged residents to be extra careful, especially during the harmattan season.

Advertisement

“He is appealing to the general public to handle fire with care to avoid disasters.

“He further urged motorists to drive calmly and follow traffic rules to prevent accidents that may lead to loss of life or property,” the statement added.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Protest In Enugu Community As gunmen Kidnap Five Villagers, Injure One

Published

on

Some women in Ezimo community, Udenu Local Government Area of Enugu State, on Saturday, staged a protest over the alleged kidnap of five residents and the shooting of another during an attack on the community.

The protesters, who marched through major parts of the community, said the incident had heightened fear and insecurity in the area.

One victim of the attack is currently receiving treatment in the hospital.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Enugu Gov Mbah Set to Dump PDP

A social media influencer, ‘Sen.’ Chijinkem Ugwuanyi, made this known via Facebook on Saturday.

Ugwuanyi revealed that resident who confirmed the incident said recent cases of abductions and shootings had left the community unsafe, prompting the women to demand urgent government intervention.

Advertisement

In a video shared on Ugwuanyi’s Facebook page, the protesters called on the Enugu State Government and security agencies to step in and restore peace, warning that residents could no longer live under constant fear of attacks.

Continue Reading

Trending