Connect with us

Metro

Nigerian Woman In UK On Trial For Starving Son To Death

Published

on

A Nigerian woman, Olabisi Abubakar, 42, from Cardiff, is facing trial in the United Kingdom for two counts of manslaughter and child cruelty relating to the death of her three-year-old son, Taiwo Abubakar.

Olabisi, accused of killing her three-year-old son through religious fasting, told police she had “locked herself away” during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Mail Online.

Advertisement

She is being tried before the Cardiff Crown Court where it was revealed that police forced entry to her flat in the Cathays area on June 29, 2020 after a friend raised concerns for her welfare.

Olabisi, who was thin, malnourished and dehydrated, was found lying on a sofa bed next to the body of her son, Taiwo.

READ ALSO:Court Jails Lecturer Who Assaulted Student For Snatching Daughter’s Lover

Advertisement

Cardiff Crown Court heard Taiwo weighed 9.8 kilos (22 pounds), with pathologist Dr Stephen Leadbetter finding his death was caused by malnutrition and dehydration.

The court heard Olabisi was sectioned on June 30, 2020 and has remained detained in hospital, where she is being treated for paranoid schizophrenia, Mail Online says.

The prosecutor, Peter Donnison, told the court that Olabisi was deemed fit for police interview in October 2020 and was interviewed by officers on eight occasions.

Advertisement

In one interview, according to Donnison, Olabisi described “the effect on her of the pressures of not having help, fearing coronavirus for herself and her child, and her immigration status.”

Mr Donnison said: “She described them as depressing. She said she was a religious woman and prayed to God and believed he had heard her and answered prayers and kept them safe.

READ ALSO: Man Stabs Friend To Death Over Debt, Lands In Jail

Advertisement

“She had been taking her child out daily but she had to stop doing that due to the coronavirus. She described herself as locking herself away due to the coronavirus and her neighbour.”

Olabisi had been having issues with a neighbour at the property she was living at in Cwmdare Street, Cardiff, and was an asylum seeker.

The court was told that she is a devout Pentecostal Christian and fasts as part of her faith.

Advertisement

Prosecutors allege that Olabisi caused her young son to fast of both food and water along with her, due to fears over the coronavirus pandemic and personal pressures, according to Mail Online.

However, in police interviews Olabisi repeatedly denied this and said children should not fast until the age of 12.

Mr Donnison said: “She said she would dry fast when she wanted to speak to God and hear something from God.

Advertisement

“She said her child did not fast, he did eat, and she gave him food to eat.”

READ ALSO: Man Bags Life Jail For Defiling Colleague’s Nine-year-old Daughter

She told police she had fallen asleep on June 26 and believed she had gone to heaven before being brought back to life when her neighbour and police officers arrived.

Advertisement

Donnison said: “Olabisi Abubakar said she couldn’t explain what happened to her. She was asleep on the bed and that is what she remembered last. She said she believed she was being punished by God.”

In a police interview, Olabisi said: “I saw myself among the dead in heaven. I was saying, ‘I don’t want to die’. Then I saw the angels of God and they brought me back to life.”

The court heard a series of facts agreed by the prosecution and defence in the trial, read by Mr Donnison.

Advertisement

This included evidence that health visitors saw Olabisi and Taiwo before the pandemic and had no concerns, including in relation to her religion and religious practices.

They were not seen by healthcare professionals during the COVID-19 lockdown.

In February 2020, a police officer was called to a noise complaint by Olabisi’s neighbour and attended her room, which he described as “clean and warm”.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Man Jailed After Sending Romance Scam Proceeds To Nigerian Family From US

Taiwo was seen playing loudly and appeared “very energetic” and healthy, Mr Donnison said.

Police searched the property after Taiwo’s body was discovered on June 29 and found a note on food in a fridge, stating: “Do not touch anything, whooping cough, virus, save yourself.”

Advertisement

Olabisi wrote a series of notes while in an ambulance and in hospital, stating she was “very hungry” and “can’t stand up” as well that Taiwo was dead, Mail Online reports.

Olabisi told a police officer in hospital: “I don’t eat, I can’t cook, because of coronavirus I can’t go and buy food.”

Doctors found Olabisi was suffering delusions and she was sectioned under the Mental Health Act 1983 on June 30 2020, with detention in hospital still ongoing for her to receive treatment.

Advertisement

The jury has been told it is not disputed that Olabisi, who was born in Lagos, Nigeria, and moved to London in 2011, neglected her son but the issue is her state of mind at the time, according to Mail Online.

As Olabisi’s trial continues, the court will have to decide whether Olabisi may have been insane, which would make her not guilty of charges against her by reason of insanity.

Caroline Rees KC is expected to open the defence case for Olabisi, who denies manslaughter and two counts of child cruelty, on Thursday afternoon.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Comments

Metro

My Wife Sleeps In Leggings, Denies Me Sex —Husband

Published

on

By

He starves me, our children, beat me, left me almost naked in public —Wife

A minibus driver complained before a local court in Lusaka, Zambia, that his wife sleeps in leggings to prevent him from making love to her.

Richard Makura, 48, of Kanyama compound was testifying in a case in which his wife, Patricia Mulenga, 40, a business woman sued him for divorce on allegation that he was violent.

Advertisement

According to the Zambian Observer, the two got married in 1996 and have three children.

Patricia told the senior court magistrate, Lewis Mum, sitting with two other magistrates, Abbyshine Michelo and Esther Mulomba at Kanyama Local Court that Richard has been beating her over petty issues since her father in 2004.

READ ALSO:I No Longer Love My Husband, I Want Divorce —Wife

Advertisement

She explained that in 2006, he threatened to burn her clothes and was forced to seek refuge at her parents’ home.

She told the court that he once beat her until she fainted.

Patricia stated that in 2015, Richard started working for APG Milling in Mansa but still failed to provide for the family because he only sent home K50 or K100 per month.

Advertisement

She further said that Richard joined her in June 2016 when his contract was terminated but she never saw the benefits he was given.

READ ALSO:‘My Husband Became Hostile After Losing His Job, Brandished Cutlass At Me’

“When I asked for our children’s school fees, he beat me in public and removed the chitenge material I was wearing.

Advertisement

“I was left in the short skirt I was wearing and in the confusion, he beat a man who wanted to rescue from his hand,” Patricia stated.

In defense, Richard denied being violet but admitted that problem started in 2006 when he had a girlfriend.

READ ALSO:My Wife Denies Me Sex, Neglects Our Children —Husband

Advertisement

He explained that when he came from Mansa, his wife started sleeping in leggings to prevent him from making love to her.

The magistrate, Mumba stated that there was violence in their marriage and since Patricia wanted divorce, the court had no power to continue to live with Richard.

He granted the couple divorce, ordering Richard to compensate Patricia with K6,000 with initial payment of K1,000 followed by monthly installment of K400.

Advertisement

Property acquired together was ordered to be shared equally.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

I Spent 13 Days In Hospital After My Husband Beat Me —Wife

Published

on

By

…I now love her the more —Husband

A housewife, LadidiI Abass, has dragged her husband, Shehu Abass, to a Sharia Court sitting in Magajin Garki, Kaduna, Kaduna State, seeking divorce over alleged battery.

Abass who reside at Rigasa, Kaduna, said her husband usually beat her any time they had a misunderstanding.

Advertisement

Accordng to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the last time he did, he was hospitalised for 13 days.

He usually beats me in front of our children.

The last time he beat me, I was hospitalized for 13 days,”  Ladidi said.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:My Wife Harasses, Slaps Me All The Time —Husband

She prayed the court to dissolve their union and grant her custody of their children.

The defendant, Shehu, denied all the allegations.

Advertisement

“I have just started loving my wife. I love her more and more every hour, “

Shehu thus prayed the court to grant him time to resolve their differences.

The judge, Murtal Nasir, after he had heard both parties, ordered the complainant to testify on her allegation on battery.

Advertisement

He then adjourned the case.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

My Husband Abandoned Me, No Longer Comes To My Room —Wife

Published

on

By

…I still love her —Husband

A housewife, Hassana Adamu, has urged a Upper Area Court, Gwagwalada, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), to dissolve her 10-year-old marriage to her husband, Danjuma Ali, on the grounds of lack of love and interest.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Hassan told the court that her marriage with Danjuma is blessed with three kids.

Advertisement

“I have lost interest in our marriage and no longer love my husband.

“My husband has abandoned me. He does not enter my room again, and he is no longer interested in me.

READ ALSO:I Doubt Our Only Child’s Paternity, I Want DNA Test, Man Tells Court

Advertisement

I want the court to dissolve our marriage because of lack of love and interest.”

Danjuma in his response , however, said that he still loved his wife.

The judge, Malam Abdulkarim, advised the couple to explore some means of settlement.

Advertisement

Abdulkarim asked the complainant if she was willing to accept back her husband if he did all she wanted, but she answered in the negative.

He then adjourned the case.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version