Nurses, Midwives Lament Exclusion From 40 Percent Pay Rise For Workers
The National Association Nigerian Nurses and Midwives, Federal Health Institution (NANNM-FHI) sector, has decried the exclusion of its members in the recent 40 per cent pay rise for federal workers.
The association expressed its displeasure in a statement issued by Mr Morakinyo-Olajide Rilwan, National Chairman, NANNM-FHI sector, to the Newsmen in Abuja on Sunday.
Rilwan said the attention of nurses and midwives in FHI of Nigeria has been drawn to the commencement of 40 per cent peculiar allowance pay rise for workers in the Federal Government establishment with outright exclusions of its members.
He described the exclusion as an aberration and attempt to cause problems in the system.
He said that nurses and other health workers have been calling for salary adjustment since 201, with several committees set up to this effect.
READ ALSO: Why We Can’t Evacuate Nigerian Students In Sudan Now – FG
Rilwan said the committees are yet to see the light of the day with their report.
The national chairman recalled that the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, had earlier said before the payment that the pay rise was to justify the current economic reality of the country.
Rilwan quoted Ngige as saying that, “the pay rise for Federal Government workers was to cushion the effects of inflation, rising cost of living, hike in transportation fare, housing and electricity tariff.”
He said that the federal government had no justification to exclude some sections of civil servants, especially in the health sector from the pay rise since everyone, including the workers patronise the same market and pay same bills.
READ ALSO: Joy As FG Begins Payment Of 40% Salary Rise Arrears
He said the action was also coming when there is mass exodus of nurses and midwives out of the country for greener pastures with aftermath effect of increase workload on the few nurses on ground.
Rilwan said, “Instead of motivating those health workers, who have agreed to stay in the country to salvage the health system by this pay rise, the best thing government could do was to exclude nurses.
“The last time Consolidated Health Salary Scale (CONHESS) was adjusted was in 2010 and most of the allowances due to nurses were being short paid, for instance 30 per cent shift allowance with less than 10 per cent being paid to nurses.
“Many things are causing agitation, including Nurses Special Salary Structure.
“However, we are just getting the news this weekend and we are studying the situation while consultation with relevant stakeholders is ongoing, especially our parent body.
READ ALSO: Fuel Subsidy: FG Begins 40% Pay Rise For Workers April Ending
“But the fact is that our members are not happy with the exclusion and we cannot continue keeping quiet.
“Nurses have suffered enough neglect and deprivation as front line workers in health sector,” he said.
Rilwan said that NANNM is happy that civil servant salaries ere increased, but would resist such exclusion for its members if steps are not taken regarding nurses pay rise.
He said that the nurses association had remained calm over time despite the series of neglect and government had been taken that for granted, but this time around, it was not easy calming members down as they are ready to take action.
The national chairman, FHI sector, said that NANNM would resist any form of deprivation in the health sector, especially in the area of remuneration, training and policy making.
VIDEO: Dismantle EFCC, Sack Bawa For Successful Anti-corruption War – Agbakoba
Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Olisa Agbakoba, has asked President Bola Tinubu to dismantle the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, in his bid to have a successful anti-corruption war.
Agbakoba stated this while speaking in an interview on The Morning Show of Arise Television on Wednesday.
The legal luminary also urged the President to relieve the EFCC chairman, Abdulrasheed Bawa of his job, in order to have a fresh leadership for the agency in the new administration.
He said, “We need to talk about anti-corruption. The anti-corruption process is not working. I have challenged the constitutionality of the EFCC. The EFCC is a behemoth and it needs to be dismantled.
READ ALSO: EFCC Reacts To DSS’ Siegure On Lagos Office
“Mr. Bawa needs to go because what he’s doing is not attracting people’s confidence. He needs to go. He’s always in battles with everybody. Now, he’s battling Metawalle. That’s not the way to fight corruption.
“We need to see Mr. Bawa step aside honourably so that the anti-corruption process can be seen to be genuinely fought by the President without any equivocation,” he said.
Tinubu needs to dismantle EFCC, sack Bawa for successful anti-corruption war – Agbakoba
Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Olisa Agbakoba said President Bola Tinubu needs to dismantle the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, in his bid to have a successful… pic.twitter.com/CJXdhlw2SI
— Vanguard Newspapers (@vanguardngrnews) May 31, 2023
NAPTIP Sacks Director, Four Officers For Misconduct
The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons has dismissed a deputy director and four other officers for various offences including bribery, corruption and leaking confidential information to suspects.
The Press Officer of the NAPTIP, Vincent Adekoye, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday.
Adekoye explained that the offences range from corruption to demanding and receiving bribes from suspects and relatives.
READ ALSO: How Nigerian Women Working In Iraq Are Being Exploited – NAPTIP DG
According to him, other offences committed by the officers were leaking confidential information to suspects that endangered the lives of colleagues, violating the oath of secrecy, stealing and alteration of official records and being absent without official leave.
He said, “These offences are all contrary to provisions of the Public Service Rules and other extant laws and regulations. Two other officers were demoted by two ranks for soliciting bribes from a suspect of human trafficking, while one officer was demoted by one rank for negligence of duty.
“The disciplinary actions followed the approval of the Governing Board of the Agency at its meeting of May 25, 2023. At that meeting, the board considered and ratified the decision of the agency’s Senior Staff Committee which earlier sat on the disciplinary matters in accordance with the Public Service Rules and other extant laws and regulations.”
READ ALSO: NAPTIP Rescues Three Babies Rented For Begging In Abuja
Adekoye also announced that a Federal High Court sitting in Sokoto State convicted a law enforcement officer and sentenced him to prison.
He said the officer was convicted on two counts of trafficking, contrary to section 26 (2) of the Trafficking in Persons (Prohibition) Enforcement and Administration Act (2015) and was sentenced to five years on each count.
He added, “This is NAPTIP’s 37th conviction and counting for the year 2023.”
Otti Suspends Transport Levies In Abia
The Abia State Governor, Alex Otti, has suspended all transport levies imposed on commercial drivers in the state.
This was contained in a statement by the special adviser to the governor on Media and Publicity, Ferdinand Ekeoma, on Wednesday.
He stated that the directive was in line with the campaign promise of the governor to sanitize methods of revenue collection in the state and stop all kinds of extortion, intimidation and harassement of motorists.
The statement read, “The governor has directed the immediate suspension of all kinds of transport levies payable to Abia state government and imposed on Tricycles (Keke), Buses, taxis and other commercial vehicles plying Abia roads.
“This suspension takes immediate effect, and will remain until government reviews these levies and makes public its arrangements for the smooth, organized and transparent collection of such transport levies in a manner it would not lead to extortion, intimidation and violation of rights and privileges of Abia residents.
READ ALSO: Otti Freezes Abia Accounts, Sacks Boards Executives
“The government believes that the present method is archaic and very harmful to the lives of the people and the economic well-being of the state, and thus should not be allowed to continue.
“In the light of the above decision, the governor has asked all those involved, directly and indirectly to please discontinue forthwith, or face the wrath of the law, as security agents have been briefed and directed to apprehend and bring to justice anyone found violating this directive”.
BREAKING: NNPCL Confirms Increase In Fuel Pump Price
UPDATED: Why I Resigned From PDP – Sen. Urhoghide
VIDEO: Dismantle EFCC, Sack Bawa For Successful Anti-corruption War – Agbakoba
Communal Clash Claims Seven, Injures Scores In Delta
BREAKING: COVID-19 Heath Workers Block Hospital Management Board’s Entrance, Demand Payment Of Allowances In Edo
Edo Guber: ‘Oshiomhole’s Triumphant Entry Has Left You In Trauma, Demoralised,’ APC Mocks PDP
Metro4 days ago
Gunmen Abduct Imo Catholic Priest Returning From Funeral
Politics1 week ago
Tinubu, Shetima, APC kick As Tribunal Moves To Consolidate Petitions Against Presidential Election
News4 days ago
Buhari To Address Nigerians 7am Sunday
News5 days ago
May 29 Inauguration: FG Declares Monday Public Holiday
Entertainment5 days ago
Why I Refused To Perform At Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Concert – Portable
Politics6 days ago
Ex-presidential Candidate Fined N40m For Trying To Stop Tinubu’s Inauguration
News6 days ago
JUST IN: Reps Grill Malami Over $2.4bn Illegal Oil Sale
Opinion1 week ago
OPINION: Buhari’s Dance To The Grove