Metro
OAU Student Electrocuted While Retrieving Ball
Published
5 months agoon
By
Editor
A student at the Distant Learning Centre of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (name not provided) was reportedly electrocuted while retrieving a ball from a compound in Moro, Osun State.
Sources near the scene of the incident said it happened Saturday evening in a private hostel located along the Moro/Ife route.
It was gathered that the deceased had gone to a compound close to his house to retrieve the ball.
After retrieving the ball, he was said to have thrown it to his colleagues and was about to jump over the fence separating his own hostel and the one next to it when he had contact with a high-tension wire, which electrocuted him.
READ ALSO: OAU Professor Slumps During Meeting, Dies En Route Hospital
A resident of Moro, who was close to the scene of the incident, told The PUNCH on condition of anonymity for fear of harassment, “The incident happened on Saturday. The deceased was playing football in his hostel with other boys.
“The ball strayed across the fence to the next compound. The deceased volunteered to jump across the fence to retrieve the ball, but accidentally he had contact with a dangling high-tension wire on the fence. The wire was brought down on Friday by the rainstorm.
“He was immediately electrocuted. When his colleagues observed he was not moving, they used a stick to separate him from the wire, and he was rushed down to a private hospital in Ipetumodu. There he was confirmed dead at the facility.”
When contacted, the OAU Public Relations Officer, Mr Abiodun Olanrewaju, confirmed the incident and condoled the family of the deceased.
READ ALSO: OAU To Immortalise Staff Killed By Lion
Olanrewaju said, “It is unfortunate that we recorded an incident that was not palatable yesterday (Saturday) where we lost a prominent youngster; one of our CDL students who was aspiring to come to the university after the completion of his programme.
“Report had it that they were playing football in the evening and the ball fell into a compound that was fenced and unknown to the young man, he jumped into the fence because he was the one that played the ball into the compound and it was a rule that anybody who played the ball into the compound will go to retrieve it.
“In compliance with the rule, the boy went in there and we were told that, that was the first time the boy would play with them. So, he went in there, retrieved the ball, and threw it out to his colleagues, but when he wanted to come out, he climbed the fence but unknowingly put his hand on a high-tension wire and got electrocuted.
“It was when his colleagues felt he should have come back, that they went to check and saw that he was there shivering. They rushed to him and one of them picked a stick and removed the life wire from his hand. He was rushed to the facility at the Center for Distance Learning at the university.
“They said he was brought in dead and they took him to another hospital where they said the boy was already dead. The Director of the CDL, Professor Femi Koya had already contacted the parents to relate the unfortunate incident to them.”
You may like
Why New Lagos Tenancy Bill – Lawmaker
OAU Medical Student Kills Self After Failing Exam Twice
No ID Cards, No Exams, OAU Students Ground Campus In Protest
OAU Professor Slumps During Meeting, Dies En Route Hospital
OAU To Immortalise Staff Killed By Lion
OAU Graduate Dies Despite N9.4m Cancer Treatment
Metro
Drama At Benin Motor Park As Pastor Chase Away Colleague, Claims Exclusive Preaching Rights
Published
2 hours agoon
August 31, 2025By
Editor
Drama erupted at Ologbo Park by Agip Filling Station, along Sapele Road, Benin City, when a popular evangelist known as Pastor Evidence threw caution to the wind and chased away a colleague-pastor who came to the park to preach to passengers travelling from Benin to Warri, Delta State.
It is a common practice in most of the motor parks in Benin seeing pastors or better put, evangelists, preaching to passengers who are about embarking on a journey.
These pastors or evangelists thereafter offer prayers to Almighty God for a safe trip on behalf of the passengers, and in return solicit for financial assistance from the passengers for the support of their evangelical work.
READ ALSO: Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday
However, this voluntary preaching of the gospel turned something else on Sunday morning at the park as Pastor Evidence, in the full glare of passengers, conductors and passersby, ordered his colleague to leave the park in a loud voice, claiming the exclusive preaching right to the park.
The development angered some of the bus drivers as they came in their number in defence of the pastor.
The incident caused commotion and division amongst the drivers.
While some supported the action of the pastor others condemned him. They accused him of greed and being hostile to a fellow preacher.
A traveller who witnessed the drama criticized Pastor Evidence, saying that his actions exemplify the commercialisation of the gospel.
The passenger who spoke in anonymity said: “This is shameful. A so-called man of God can do this to a fellow pastor. Is it because of the little offering from passengers? His action further speak to the commercialisation of the word of God by fake pastors.”
Metro
Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap
Published
20 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
The Anambra State Police Command has arrested two suspects for faking a kidnap and recovered the sum of ₦1.2million, being part of the ransom earlier paid by the supposed kidnapped victim’s family members.
According to a statement released by the spokesman for the command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, on Saturday, the suspects, identified as Nmesoma Nwoye, female, aged 23 years, and Chibuike Ogbu, male, aged 24 years, were arrested after intelligence-led operations uncovered that the supposed victim conspired with Chibuike (her boyfriend) to stage her own abduction.
Ikenga said that the suspects initially demanded ₦15million ransom, and after negotiation, ₦3million was transferred into the victim’s account.
READ ALSO:Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
He said following the arrest of the suspects, the Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Ikioye Orutugu, expressed deep concern over the rising cases of moral decadence in the society, adding that the suspects were arrested by police operatives attached to the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu.
The statement read, “The suspects identified as Nmesoma Josephine Nwoye, female, aged 23 years, and Chibuike Ogbu, male, aged 24 years, were arrested after intelligence-led operations uncovered that the supposed victim conspired with Chibuike (her boyfriend) to stage her own abduction.
“The operatives also recovered the sum of ₦1,200,000, being part of the ransom earlier paid by the girl’s family members.
“Further information reveals that the suspects demanded ₦15million ransom, and after negotiation, ₦3million was transferred into the victim’s account.
READ ALSO:Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
“Reacting to the development, CP Orutugu described the incident as a reflection of the rising moral decay in the society, where young people are increasingly resorting to criminality for selfish gains.”
According to him, the CP urged parents, guardians, and religious leaders to intensify efforts in inculcating discipline, integrity, and sound values in their children and wards.
“The CP also warned youths against engaging in self-destructive ventures, stressing that the long arm of the law will always catch up with criminals, no matter how cleverly disguised their schemes may be,” the statement added.

A 35-year-old man identified as Peter Ugochukwu Odom, a native of Oyinkwa village in Amachi Community, was reportedly electrocuted while erecting a pole at Nkwoagu in Abakaliki Local Government Area of the State.
It was gathered that the deceased, who worked with Ibortic Concrete Investment Ltd, was part of a team contracted to install new poles in the area.
It was in the course of mounting the poles that he accidentally touched a live high-tension wire, leading to his instant electrocution.
READ ALSO:UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration
Confirming the incident, the Managing Director of the company, Mr. Peter Ibor Chukwuemeka, who also disclosed that the victim was his younger brother, expressed deep grief over the loss.
According to him, the team had been invited by a customer to deliver and mount a concrete pole near Nkwoagu.
“We were called for the job. The customer assured my boys that power had already been disconnected from the high-tension line in the area. Unfortunately, that information was false.
READ ALSO:Lawyer Sues Sanwo-Olu For Blocking Him On X
“While attempting to erect the pole, it mistakenly touched the high-tension wire, and my brother got electrocuted instantly,” he explained.
He said that the victim was first rushed to the military clinic within the cantonment before being transferred to the Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital (AE-FUTHA II), where doctors confirmed him dead.
Mr. Chukwuemeka lamented that the deceased, who had worked with him for over three years, was a diligent staff and the breadwinner of his young family.
The victim’s uncle, Mr. Ezeode Samuel, confirmed the incident and described the incident as a great loss to the family, adding that burial arrangements would be decided after consultations.
- Drama At Benin Motor Park As Pastor Chase Away Colleague, Claims Exclusive Preaching Rights
- BREAKING: Former Inspector-General Of Police, Solomon Arase, Is Dead
- Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap
- 35-year-old Man Electrocuted In Ebonyi
- Police Foil Robbery On Sagamu-Benin Expressway, Recover Stolen Tricycle In Ogun
- Nigerian Man Pleads Guilty In US To $405,000 Romance Scam Against American Women
- UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration
- Chelsea Vs Barcelona, Arsenal Vs Bayern — UEFA Releases Fixture Date, Time
- Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef
- PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis
Trending
- News3 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Politics4 days ago
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
- News3 days ago
Firm Wants Attorney-General Investigate Court Ruling On Breach Of Contract
- News4 days ago
US Court Sentences Osun Monarch To Prison Over $4.2m Fraud
- News4 days ago
Ondo Bans Graduation Ceremonies In Primary, Junior Secondary Schools
- News3 days ago
Access Holdings Names New GMD/CEO
- News3 days ago
BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
- News3 days ago
JUST IN: NLC Defies Edo Assembly Resolution, Inaugurates Factional Caretaker Committee
- Metro4 days ago
Man Stabs Colleague To Death In Lagos Over Money Dispute
- Headline3 days ago
Two US Pastors Arrested In $50m Human Trafficking, Fraud Case