Connect with us

Politics

Okupe Breaks Silence After Court Drama

Published

on

Dr. Doyin Okupe, a former Senior Special Assistant to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, took to his Twitter account on Monday evening to declare that his enemies keep failing.

The embattled Labour Party chieftain was on Monday convicted of breaching the Money Laundering Act by a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja and was subsequently sentenced to two and a half years in prison or pay a fine of N13 million before 4:30pm yesterday. Okupe paid the fine before the deadline.

READ ALSO: Okupe: Peter Obi Reveals Next Plan Of Action

Advertisement

Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu, the presiding judge, had gave Okupe an option of N500, 000 fine on each of the 26 count charges, totalling N13,000,000 for which he was found guilty in a suit filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission of which Okupe was the first defendant.

Failure to pay the fine on all the charges he was found guilty of before the deadline, would have seen Okupe sent to the Kuje Correctional Centre.

Reacting to the court fiasco in a tweet on Monday night, Okupe said he’s enemies keep failing, declaring that God is supreme over man.

Advertisement

He wrote, “God is not man. The enemies have tried in so many ways but keep failing…Victory is of God.”

Earlier yesterday Okupe in a tweet also said “lies, fabrication and disinformation are their tools. But in the end they will fail and be shamed. Doyin Okupe has not chopped any shishi neither has he shifted base by 1mm!!! We are moving forward till God delivers us all from perpetual raiders of this lost but glorious ark. Naija.”

The presiding judge while stating that the Money Laundering Act provided that no individual or organisation shall receive any sum above N5m and N10m respectively without passing through a financial institution, held that, “there is no evidence that the money passed through a financial institution” and that Okupe was not a financial institution, and that, even if the president was said to have authorised the funds, he did not say that the money must be paid in cash.

Advertisement

Consequently, the court found Okupe guilty in counts 34, 35, 36 to 59 and sets him free from counts 1 to 33 because the prosecution failed to establish the charge of money laundering and criminal breach of trust and corruption against the NSA.

In counts 34 to 59 upon which Okupe was convicted, he was accused of receiving various sums of money ranging from N10m on different occasions from 2012 to 2015 when he was Jonathan’s aide.

READ ALSO: Okupe: Peter Obi Reveals Next Plan Of Action

Advertisement

The said sum, he said, was spent on running his office, payment of staff members and image laundering of the former President and his administration. But, the court, however, held that receiving such amounts in cash violated the Money Laundering Act.

Furthermore The PUNCH also reported that the leadership of the Labour Party on Monday said it would first obtain a copy of the judgment of the court that convicted Okupe, who is the Director-General of Obi-Datti Presidential Campaign Council and study it before taking a position on the matter.

Advertisement

Politics

Soludo Visits Tinubu, Goes Into Closed Door Session With President

Published

on

By

Anambra State Governor, Prof Chukwuma Charles Soludo, on Thursday, paid a courtesy visit to the President, Bola Tinubu, GCFR at the State House.

Report by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Soludo, Mr Chris Aburime stated that President Tinubu received the Anambra State Governor with excitement, describing him as his long standing friend of over 22 years.

Aburime said, “The President used the occasion to further congratulate Governor Soludo on his landslide victory in the just concluded Anambra gubernatorial election.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:UPDATED: INEC Declares Soludo Winner Of Anambra Guber Poll

Recall that President Tinubu had earlier issued a congratulatory message to Governor Soludo immediately the governorship election was concluded.”

Governor Soludo was declared winner with 73% of the votes cast by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
Other details of the meeting were, however, not disclosed as the press Secretary told DAILY POST that both men went into a closed door meeting after the reception.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

2027: I Will Resign If Tinubu Loses In Edo – Governor Okpebholo

Published

on

By

Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholor has vowed that President Bola Tinubu will win the 2027 presidential election in Edo State.

Okpebholor in an interview captured in a viral video vowed to resign if the outcome of the 2027 election does not favour the president in Edo State.

According to him, the entire people in Edo State are ready to vote for the president, citing projects that his (Okpebholor) administration executed since the All Progressives Congress, APC took over the state.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Okpebholo Fires EDOGIS Managing Director

He claimed that there is no opposition in the state, stressing that everyone is supporting the ruling party ahead of the 2027 elections.

He said, “There is no opposition here in Edo everybody is for Asiwaju in this state.

Advertisement

“Tinubu is more popular than me in Edo state. If he doesn’t win the presidential election in Edo in 2027, I will resign.”

Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: El-Rufai Formally Joins ADC

Published

on

By

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has formally joined the African Democratic Congress, ADC.

El-Rufai, a founding member of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, left the party earlier this year for the Social Democratic Party, SDP.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Atiku Officially Joins ADC, Registers With Party In Adamawa

Advertisement

In his resignation letter from the SDP, dated November 26, 2025, the former governor stated that his focus is on contributing to the strengthening of a unified democratic platform that can offer a credible political alternative to the people of Nigeria.

“I wish to notify that I have resigned my membership of the Social Democratic Party, SDP, effective 26 November, 2025,” he said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version