Connect with us

Politics

Ondo Crisis Worsens, Assembly Demands Aiyedatiwa’s Resignation

Published

on

The Ondo State House of Assembly has warned against violating the resolutions of President Bola Tinubu’s meeting with the members of the House and other stakeholders over the lingering political crisis in the state.

The House held its first plenary session on Tuesday after last Friday’s meeting with Tinubu in Abuja.

At the end of Tuesday’s plenary, the Speaker of the Assembly, Mr Olamide Oladiji, disclosed that, as part of the resolutions reached at the meeting with Tinubu, the deputy governor, Mr Lucky Aiyedatiwa, was asked to write an undated resignation letter and submit it to the President.

Advertisement

The Speaker said the President appointed him (Speaker), the Secretary of the Ondo State Government, Mrs Oladunni Odu, and the state Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Ade Adetimehin, to monitor compliance with the resolutions.

READ ALSO: Ondo: Plot To Make Aiyedatiwa Acting Governor Thickens

Oladiji, who read the resolutions on the floor of the House, warned all the gladiators and stakeholders against violating the resolutions of the meeting.

Advertisement

The Speaker said, “For the avoidance of doubt, let me present to the good people of Ondo State, the resolutions reached after the meeting of representatives of the Ondo State House of Assembly, the State Executive Council members, members of the National Assembly from Ondo State and the state Chairman of the All Progressives Congress with His Excellency, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the leadership of our great part, that all parties shall embrace peace, that status quo be maintained by all parties, that all impeachment proceedings be terminated forthwith, and all court cases withdrawn by all parties.”

Reading further, he said the resolutions also included “that there will be no dissolution of the State Executive Council, that an undated letter of resignation must be written and signed by the deputy governor and submitted to the President, that the party leadership and structures remained intact, that the House of Assembly leadership remained intact and that Hon. Lucky Aiyedatiwa continues to perform the functions of office as deputy governor.”

The speaker noted that the lawmakers were acting based on the mandate given to them by their constituents.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: FEC Approves N27tn 2024 Budget

“We, as elected representatives of the people, have only acted within the precinct of the mandate freely given to us by our constituents. We have demonstrated courage when the occasion demanded it. We asked questions when there was cause for us, to do,” the Speaker stated.

During the plenary session, 51 members of the Interim Caretaker Committee for the 18 local government areas of the state as well as the Local Council Development Areas, who had been screened by the Assembly, were approved, following the request of the Governor Rotimi Akeredolu.

Advertisement

The PUNCH reports that there was a heavy presence of security operatives around the Assembly complex while the Tuesday session lasted.

All efforts to reach the deputy governor on the telephone were not successful as his phone line indicated busy while the text message sent to him was not replied to at the time of filing this report.

READ ALSO: Ondo Police Arrest Housemaid, Son Over Killing Of Boss

Advertisement

But one of his political associates, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Aiyedatiwa was not pleased with the decision of the Assembly as it was against the resolution reached at Friday’s meeting

“You can see that the deputy governor was not in the state yet. He is waiting for the House to declare him the acting governor before coming. But I don’t know what will happen next on the matter because the House has not kept its own part of the ‘deal’.

“The status quo they are talking about is for the deputy governor to be acting as the governor and that is what I expected the speaker to read today but he didn’t put that in his speech. Let’s see what happens next.”

Advertisement

Politics

APC Senatorial Primaries: National Organising Secretary Clears Oden Ewa For Cross River Central, Others

Published

on

Ahead of the ongoing scheduled All Progressives Congress (APC) Senatorial Primaries holding across the country today, Oden Ewa and seven others have been cleared by the National Organising Secretary (NOS) of the party at the just concluded screening exercise, to contest the primaries.

This was made public by NOS after the screening exercise in the State.

Ewa, the immediate past Commissioner for Special Duties and Intergovernmental Affairs, was cleared alongside the incumbent Senator representing Cross River Central Senatorial District, Senator Eteng Jonah Williams, who is planning for third term.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:PDP Loses Five Reps, APC Two In Fresh Defections

The contest in Central Senatorial District is said to be a hot chase between Ewa and the incumbent, however, Ewa is believed to have an edge as he is seen as a fresh start with new ideas for the district.

He is popular among the party leaders and commands huge following within the party followers and the Senatorial district for his various contributions to the development of the district over the years.

Advertisement

His aspiration also enjoys the support of the teeming youths in the area with many youth groups in the district lining behind him. He is said to fit into the aspirational needs of the youths and others within the district who are calling for new and fresh representation.

Others cleared by NOS for the primaries include; Asuquo Ekpenyoung (South); Adans Cecilia Omoniya, Senator Jarigbe Agom, Dr Johna Onyi Agba, and Mary Ogoba Ekpere Eta (North).

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

APC Members In Ikole LG Condemn Attacks On Members During Reps Primary

Published

on

….Seek safer venues for remaining primaries

Members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from Òkè-Àkò Ekiti, Irele-Ekiti and Ijowa-Ekiti in Ikole Local Government Area of Ekiti State have strongly condemned the violence, intimidation and attacks that characterised the House of Representatives Primary Election held in Ward 11, Ipao-Ekiti.

The APC members lamented that the exercise, which ought to have reflected the democratic ideals of the party, was unfortunately marred by violent attacks carried out by political thugs against party faithful perceived to be supporting a different aspirant from the one backed by the attackers.

Among those attacked were Hon. Samuel Adetiba and Mr. Ore Bamidele, the latter, who was beaten into a coma and is presently in critical condition at a private hospital in the locality where he is receiving medical attention.

Advertisement

Beyond the physical attacks on members, cmpaign banners belonging to the aspirant opposed by the attackers were also vandalised and destroyed during the incident.

READ ALSO:Violence Rocks APC Reps Primary In Ekiti Ward, Exercise Declared Inconclusive

The APC members expressed disappointment that the incident was orchestrated by one of the chairmanship candidates for the Among Local Community Development Authority (LCDA), in the presence of the APC leader in the Ekamefa area, Hon. Samuel Abejide, who did nothing to stop the attacks of the party faithful.

Advertisement

In addition to the physical assaults, properties belonging to APC members in Ipao-Ekiti were reportedly damaged, while elderly men and women from Òkè-Àkò Ekiti, Irele-Ekiti and Ijowa-Ekiti were allegedly molested, threatened and forcefully removed from voting queues simply for supporting aspirants of their choices.

Olaiya Ajibulu, who spoke on behalf of the affected party members expressed deep concern over what they described as a growing atmosphere of fear and political intolerance capable of undermining unity within the party and threatening the safety of members participating in future exercises.

Consequently, Ajibulu said that the affected APC members from the three communities appealed passionately to the leadership of the party in Ekiti State, as well as His Excellency, Governor Biodun Abayomi Oyebanji, to urgently intervene in the matter.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:APC Members Protest Alleged Exclusion From Oyo Reps Primaries

They also requested that subsequent APC primary elections involving the three communities be moved away from Ipao-Ekiti to a neutral and safer venue where the lives and rights of party members could be adequately protected.

“Alternatively, we appeal that Òkè-Àkò Ekiti, Irele-Ekiti and Ijowa-Ekiti should be allowed to conduct their remaining primary elections at a separate venue where members can freely exercise their democratic rights without intimidation, harassment, or fear of violence.” Ajibulu reiterated.

Advertisement

The affected members also sympathised with all victims of the attacks and prayed for the speedy recovery of those currently receiving medical attention, particularly Mr. Ore Bamidele.

They reaffirmed their commitment to the ideals of democracy, peaceful coexistence and party unity, while urging all stakeholders to ensure that future political exercises are conducted in an atmosphere of peace, fairness and mutual respect.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Logistics Challenges Mars APC Reps Primaries In Abia

Published

on

The House of Representatives primary elections of the All Progressive Congress, APC, in Abia State has been rocked by logistics challenges and reports of intense lobbying.

The exercise, scheduled to commence on Saturday morning, is yet to start in any part of the state as at 3:00 pm.

A visit by DAILY POST to several wards where the primary elections were supposed to hold in Umuahia showed that no party official was on duty.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:APC Members Protest Alleged Exclusion From Oyo Reps Primaries

At Amuzukwu Secondary School, Umuwaya Amuzukwu, Methodist Primary School at Crowther Street, Umuahia North Local Government Headquarters, no official of the APC or the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, staff was seen.

Two female police officers who were deployed to provide security in Umuwaya Amuzukwu were left in confusion as they could not meet any APC official at the centre.

Advertisement

Source disclosed that some of the aspirants in various constituencies in Abia State refused the offer to step down before the primares, insisting that they be allowed to test their popularity in the exercise.

READ ALSO:APC Mocks ADC Over Parallel Congresses In Ebonyi

Meanwhile, two leaders of the City Boys Movement in Abia State, Chinedu Orji and Lucky Igbokwe, who are aspiring for the Ikwuano/Umuahia Federal Constituency, have issued statements maintaining that they are firmly in the race.

Advertisement

Explaining the delay in the commencement of the APC primary election, Publicity Secretary of Abia State APC, Uche Aguoru, attributed the situation to logistics challenges.

Aguoru invited all House of Representatives aspirants and other party stakeholders to an “emergency mandatory meeting” to be held at APC new office by Saturday evening.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending