Connect with us

Politics

Osun APC, PDP Trade Words Over Appointment Of Electoral Commission Chairman

Published

on

The Osun State chapter of the All Progressives Congress has faulted the appointment of an aide of the state governor, Ademola Adeleke, as the chairman, Osun State Independent Electoral Commission.

The state Deputy Governor, Mr Kola Adewusi, earlier on Monday, inaugurated Mr. Hashim Abioye, as OSSIEC chairman, alongside other chairmen and members of the statutory commissions in the state.

Advertisement

The inauguration came after the nominees for the statutory Commissions that include OSSIEC, Judicial Service Commission, House of Assembly Service Commission, among others, were screened and confirmed by the State House of Assembly at an emergency session on Monday.

But a statement by the Osun APC chairman, Tajudeen Lawal, in reaction to the development, said Abioye is a member of PDP and should not have been considered for such a post.

READ ALSO: Osun PDP Compares Oyetola to Trump, APC Kicks

Advertisement

Lawal insisted that with the appointment of Abioye as chairman, there would be no independence in the activities of the commission, adding that the appointment had bastardised the statutory purpose of OSSIEC.

The statement read partly, “As usual, the Adeleke administration has not disappointed the right-thinking members of the society with the weird and crude appointment of his SA as the custodian of the OSSIEC as it would have made news if the apparently confused governor had acted otherwise.

“It is necessary for Adeleke to allow the OSSIEC to act its name as what is now transpiring in the commission is an aberration which is visibly antithetical to genuine constitutional government.

Advertisement

“The sensitivity of the expected functions of the OSSIEC demands that it is headed by a non-partisan entity whose activities would not be subjected to controversial political caprices and undertones.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Osun APC Expels Aregbesola’s Faction Ex-chairman, Adeleke Aides, 81 Others [Full List]

“The most honourable thing for Adeleke to do with the controversial appointment of Barr Hashim Abioye, as the OSSIEC chairman, is to rescind the mindless decision without further delay and allow good judgment to prevail.”

Advertisement

But Osun PDP, in a statement signed by its chairman, Mr. Sunday Bisi, told the opposition that, in appointing chairmen and members of statutory commissions including the state Electoral Commission, merit, capacity and competence were considered.

Bisi added, “The APC and others who joined them in their inglorious voyage ought to be purged of their ignorance that politics is different from State governance and administration. Appointments by Governor Adeleke so far have been merit-based, capacity-driven and incontrovertible competence.

“Many of Adeleke’s cabinet members and other appointees are not politicians and/or were not appointed based on any political consideration but on skill, capacity, and professionalism. Appointments into statutory boards are therefore not an exception in this context

Advertisement

“As a matter of fact, most of the agencies are so critical that only competent professionals and skilled technocrats must be appointed. What then is the fuss if there is anyone presently serving in Adeleke’s cabinet but now considered for another appointment based on his considered area of competence, track record of impeccable integrity and professionalism? It is a shame for APC and its town criers to speak always from both sides of their mouth, approbating and reprobating on matters with very few borderlines.”
PUNCH

Advertisement

Politics

Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH

Published

on

Edo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the approval of ₦2.5 billion to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital by Governor Monday Okpebholo.

The Governor announced the approval on Tuesday when the new Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Idia Ize-Iyamu, paid a courtesy visit to him in Government House, Benin.

Advertisement

Ize-Iyamu had requested the state government’s assistance in constructing a world-class Paediatric Centre worth N2.5 billion which the governor approved.

However, the PDP, in a statement by its Caretaker Committee Publicity Secretary, Chris Nehikhare said the governor should have invested the money on state-owned hospitals instead of a federal institution.

READ ALSO:He Could Barely Garner 300,000 Votes, Yet Promising Tinubu 2.5m Votes, PDP Mocks Okpehbolo

Advertisement

The statement statement partly reads, “This misadventure is not only reckless but a glaring example of the 2027 election fixation and desperate eye-service politics that has defined Okpebholo’s almost one year in office.

“Edo people are being made to suffer while their resources are squandered on federal facilities that are not the primary responsibility of the state.

“We align with the position of the Association of Resident Doctors under Edo State Government Employment, who have openly decried this misplaced priority. Their statement exposes what Edo people already know, our hospitals are collapsing, yet the Governor prefers to chase cheap popularity.”

Advertisement

The PDP said that Stella Obasanjo Hospital, which was rebuilt with state funds, remained locked with less than a tenth in use, wondering why the ₦2.5 billion was not channelled there.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Okpehbolo Suspends His Special Adviser On Oil And Gas

The statement added, “The Edo Specialist Hospital continues to cry for expansion and adequate support but has been ignored by a government obsessed with pleasing political benefactors and seeking headlines.

Advertisement

“The General Hospital in Abudu is no more than a mere patent medicine store, and yet, ‘₦2.5 billion that belongs to Odogwu is being given to Caesar.”

The PDP also noted that Edo doctors, who only recently suspended their strike, still have their legitimate demands unmet.

Edo people obviously did not elect a Governor to act as a philanthropist to federal institutions. They elected a leader to fix our hospitals, build capacity, and ensure access to healthcare for all. By neglecting this sacred duty, Okpebholo has shown that he is unprepared, unserious, and out of touch with the realities of Edo citizens.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Edo Govt Demolishes Building Owned by Suspected Cultist

We in the PDP demand that this decision be reversed and that urgent attention be given to Edo-owned hospitals which directly serve our people. Edo deserves working hospitals, not political monuments built with eyes on the 2027 elections.

“This is not leadership. This is a reckless waste. And Edo people will not forget,” the statement added.

Advertisement

Efforts to get the government’s response proved futile, as a top official, who pleaded anonymity, said that a response will come on Thursday.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party’s 102nd National Executive Committee meeting has resolved to zone its 2027 presidential ticket to the South while retaining the existing National Working Committee zoning formula for the November elective convention.

Addressing journalists after the NEC meeting in Abuja on Monday, the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, disclosed that the decision followed the presentation of a report by the Zoning Committee chaired by Bayelsa State Governor, Douye Diri.

Advertisement

Recall that during the 2023 elections, the PDP threw its presidential ticket open, leading to the emergence of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar as its candidate.

However, some southern leaders, led by then Rivers State Governor and now FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, opposed him over what they saw as an unfair power-sharing arrangement for the South.

READ ALSO:Prove You Are Not Terrorist Organisations, Falana Challenges APC, PDP

Advertisement

In the end, the PDP candidate lost to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress.

After declaring the zoning arrangement, Ologunagba added that the NEC also expressed satisfaction over the level of preparedness of the PDP’s various organs, Chapters and structures for the 2025 Elective National Convention scheduled for Ibadan, the Oyo State Capital on Saturday 15th to Sunday 16th November 2025.

Ologunagba, while reading the 102nd NEC communiqué, said the meeting commended the efforts of PDP governors, Board of Trustees, NWC, National Assembly caucus, and other party organs toward the success of the 2025 National Convention.

Advertisement

The communique read in part, “NEC received and after extensive deliberation approved the report of the National Convention Zoning Committee which recommended that all PDP National Office positions currently in the Northern Region of the country remain in the Northern Region.

READ ALSO:Anenih’s Son Dumps PDP, Gives Reason

That all PDP National Office positions currently in the Southern Region of the country remain in the Southern Region.

Advertisement

“That having retained the position of the National Chairman in the Northern Region of the country, the Presidential Candidate of the Party for the 2027 General Election is hereby zoned to the Southern Region.

“That the Regions should immediately micro-zone positions within its Region for implementation.

“NEC also received an update from the PDP Constitution Amendment Committee and directed the Committee to circulate the Draft Constitution Amendment to various Organs and Chapters of the Party for further inputs.”

Advertisement

Ologunagba said NEC confirmed Umar Damagum as substantive National Chairman, effective Monday, August 25, 2025, in recognition of his role in stabilising the party, pending the National Convention.

READ ALSO:PDP Announces National Convention Zoning Committee Inauguration Date

He continued, “NEC condemns the resort by the All Progressives Congress (APC) to State Capture through state-backed intimidation, manipulation, inducement, coercion and violence against Nigerians as witnessed in APC’s muzzling of the recent bye-elections in parts of the country.

Advertisement

“NEC particularly expressed dismay and condemned the militarisation of the recent bye-elections especially in Kaduna and Taraba States as well as Zamfara State where excessive security agencies were deployed in the conduct of the run-off election in only five Polling Units in Kaura Namoda South State Constituency.

“NEC declares that this action by the APC is a confirmation of the APC’s desire to turn our country into a totalitarian One-Party State which is a clear and present danger to democracy and the corporate existence of our country.

“NEC reassures Nigerians of PDP’s commitment to Democracy and the defense of the interest and well-being of all citizens as we work hard to further reposition our Party to regain power in 2027.”

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Politics

Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman

Published

on

The Edo State Chairman
of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Jarret Tenebe, has explained why his party did not boycott the 2023 local government council election in the state despite intimidation and obvious efforts to compromise the exercise by the then government.

He said the party allowed its candidates to contest the local government election in order to gather momentum for the governorship election which was some months away as at then.

Advertisement

Tenebe spoke on Monday when he received the chairmanship candidates of the APC in that election at the party secretariat, Benin City, where he assured them that their labour would not be in vain.

He commended them for their determination, confidence and belief in the party despite being in an opposition at that time contesting against an incumbent government led by former governor Godwin Obaseki.

READ ALSO: Why Peter Obi Must Get Security Clearance Before Coming To Edo — APC Chair, Tenebe

Advertisement

Tenebe said “People never believed that APC should contest that election but I believed that we should enable us to gather momentum for the governorship election which was coming then.

“Consultations began with party leaders and we all later agreed that the party should contest that election which was keenly contested.

“The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) under Godwin Obaseki wrote the results of that election.

Advertisement

“You people did your best in the election and campaigned vigorously for senator Monday Okpebholo to win the governorship election in the state.

READ ALSO:Opposition Will Collapse In Edo Before 2027, Says Okpebholo

“You work hard to ensure APC win the governorship election as that is the only way your stolen mandate will be returned.

Advertisement

“The party will stand with you and not allow your labour to be in vain. The party will not allow you to work alone as the party will work with you. The governor is very much aware of your support”.

Speaking on behalf of the candidates, Enahoro Aikpokpo said they contested at a very difficult time to keep the party alive despite the intimidation and challenges they faced.

He called on the party to consider them and give them the right of first refusal as they are interested in the forthcoming local government election in the states.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending