Connect with us

Headline

Over 1.3 Million Return To Homes In Sudan – UN

Published

on

More than 1.3 million people who fled the fighting in Sudan have headed home, the United Nations said Friday, pleading for greater international aid to help returnees rebuild shattered lives.

Over a million internally displaced people (IDPs) have returned to their homes in recent months, UN agencies said.

A further 320,000 refugees have crossed back into Sudan this year, mainly from neighbouring Egypt and South Sudan.

Advertisement

While fighting has subsided in the “pockets of relative safety” that people are beginning to return to, the situation remains highly precarious, the UN said.

Since April 2023, Sudan has been torn apart by a power struggle between army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, commander of the rival paramilitary Rapid Support Forces. The fighting has killed tens of thousands.

READ ALSO: Militia Attack On DRC IDP Camp, Kills 10, Mostly Women, Children

Advertisement

The RSF lost control of the capital, Khartoum, in March and the regular army now controls Sudan’s centre, north and east.

In a joint statement, the UN’s IOM migration agency, UNHCR refugee agency and UNDP development agency called for an urgent increase in financial support to pay for the recovery as people begin to return, with humanitarian operations “massively underfunded”.

Sudan has 10 million IDPs, including 7.7 million forced from their homes by the current conflict, they said.

Advertisement

More than four million have sought refuge in neighbouring countries.

– ‘Living nightmare’ –

Sudan is “the largest humanitarian catastrophe facing our world and also the least remembered”, the IOM’s regional director Othman Belbeisi, speaking from Port Sudan, told a media briefing in Geneva.

Advertisement

He said 71 percent of returns had been to Al-Jazira state, with eight percent to Khartoum.

READ ALSO: Katsina, UNDP To Return 270,000 IDPs To Ancestral Homes

Other returnees were mostly heading for Sennar state.

Advertisement

Both Al-Jazira and Sennar are located southeast of the capital.

We expect 2.1 million to return to Khartoum by the end of this year but this will depend on many factors, especially the security situation and the ability to restore services,” Belbeisi said.

With the RSF holding nearly all of the western Darfur region, Kordofan in the south has become the war’s main battleground in recent weeks.

Advertisement

He said the “vicious, horrifying civil war continues to take lives with impunity”, imploring the warring factions to put down their guns.

READ ALSO: Panic In Borno IDP Camp As Police Defuse IED Planted By Boko Haram/ISWAP Insurgents

“The war has unleashed hell for millions and millions of ordinary people,” he said.

Advertisement

“Sudan is a living nightmare. The violence needs to stop.”

– ‘Massive’ UXO contamination –

After visiting Khartoum and the Egyptian border, Mamadou Dian Balde, the UNHCR’s regional refugee coordinator for the Sudan crisis, said people were coming back to destroyed public infrastructure, making rebuilding their lives extremely challenging.

Advertisement

Those returning from Egypt were typically coming back “empty handed”, he said, speaking from Nairobi.

READ ALSO: One Dead, Scores Injured As Mysterious Fire Hits IDPs’ Camp 

Luca Renda, UNDP’s resident representative in Sudan, warned of further cholera outbreaks in Khartoum if broken services were not restored.

Advertisement

What we need is for the international community to support us,” he said.

Renda said around 1,700 wells needed rehabilitating, while at least six Khartoum hospitals and at least 35 schools needed urgent repairs.

He also sounded the alarm on the “massive” amount of unexploded ordnance littering the city and the need for decontamination.

Advertisement

He said anti-personnel mines had also been found in at least five locations in Khartoum.

“It will take years to fully decontaminate the city,” he said, speaking from Port Sudan.

Advertisement

Headline

 ‘Pioneer Of Cable TV News’: Key Facts About CNN Founder, Ted Turner

Published

on

Ted Turner, the media businessman who founded CNN died at the age of 87. He died peacefully on Wednesday, surrounded by family, according to Turner Enterprises.

Contents

Launched 24-hour news television

Advertisement

Built a media network

Expanded through sports

Recognition and influence

Advertisement

Philanthropy and global causes

Environmental efforts

Health and later years

Advertisement

Early career path

Leadership and legacy

Personal life

Advertisement

Exit from business

Family

Below are key facts about his life and impact:

Advertisement

Launched 24-hour news television

Turner founded CNN on June 1, 1980, introducing the first 24-hour news channel and changing how audiences follow global events.

READ ALSO:CNN To Layoff 200 Staff Amid Attempts To Modernise Business

Advertisement

Built a media network

He moved from billboards into broadcasting, turning an Atlanta TV station into a national superstation in 1976. His business later grew to include CNN International, TNT, Turner Classic Movies and Cartoon Network.

Expanded through sports

Turner invested in sports broadcasting and owned teams including the Atlanta Braves and the Atlanta Hawks, using television to reach wider audiences.

Recognition and influence

In 1991, he was named Time magazine’s Man of the Year for his role in shaping modern news coverage.

Advertisement

Philanthropy and global causes

He founded the United Nations Foundation and supported campaigns against nuclear weapons. In 1997, he pledged $1 billion to the United Nations.

READ ALSO:CNN President, Jeff Zucker Resigns After Failing To Disclose Secret Affair With Colleague

Turner supported conservation work, including reintroducing bison in the United States, and backed environmental education through the “Captain Planet” cartoon.

Advertisement

Health and later years

In 2018, Turner revealed he had Lewy body dementia. He also recovered from a mild case of pneumonia in early 2025.

Early career path

He took over his father’s billboard company at 24 after his father’s death and later expanded into radio and television, despite limited experience in journalism.

I worked until 7 o’clock, and when I got home the news was over,” he once said. “So I missed television news completely. And I figured there were lots of people like me.”

Advertisement

Leadership and legacy

READ ALSO:CNN Reporter Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee

Ted was an intensely involved and committed leader, intrepid, fearless and always willing to back a hunch and trust his own judgement,” Mark Thompson, Chairman and CEO of CNN Worldwide, said in a statement. “He was and always will be the presiding spirit of CNN. Ted is the giant on whose shoulders we stand, and we will all take a moment today to recognize him and his impact on our lives and the world.”

Personal life

Turner married actress Jane Fonda in 1991, and they later divorced after 10 years, though they remained close.

Advertisement

I would never love anyone like I love him,” she said. “But I just couldn’t keep moving in his world, along the surface for the rest of my life. I knew that I would get to the end of my life and regret not doing the things that I also needed to do for me.”

Exit from business

He sold his company to Time Warner in 1996 and later stepped away following its merger with AOL.

Reflecting on his life, Turner once said: “I lost Jane. I lost my job here. I lost my fortune, most of it. Got a billion or two left. You can get by on that if you economize.”

Advertisement

Family

He is survived by his five children, 14 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Continue Reading

Headline

Iran’s Nationwide Internet Shutdown Hits 70 Days

Published

on

NetBlocks, a monitoring group, has disclosed that an internet shutdown enforced by the Iranian regime has entered its 70th day, severing key access from swathes of the population under the shadow of war.

NetBlocks reported on Friday that the blackout has now surpassed 1,656 hours, marking more than two months since US-Israeli strikes pounded Tehran and escalated across the Middle East.

“Digital connectivity is vital in times of crisis,” NetBlocks said in a post on X. “Limiting service harms those most in need – people with disabilities, students, small businesses and the general public.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO:US Underestimated Iran Before War – France’s Bardella

According to CNN, Iran imposed a separate internet shutdown on the country’s 92 million people earlier this year, when it launched the most lethal crackdown on anti-government protesters since the Islamic Republic’s founding 47 years ago.

CNN further reports that the latest blackout has cut off another potential lifeline for Iranian residents faced with high unemployment and economic pressure exacerbated by the US-Israeli campaign.

Advertisement

(CNN)

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Headline

Gas Prices In US Edge Down After Two Weeks Of Increases

Published

on

The cost of a gallon of regular gas in the United States (US) has edged down a little more than a penny to $4.55.

According to AAA’s readings, this marks the first decline in the average gas price after 15 straight days of increases.

The decline is minuscule compared to the large increases in gas prices over the last two weeks.

Advertisement

According to CNN, gasoline costs rose an average of nearly 4 cents a day during that period and had several daily increases of between 7 and 9 cents.

READ ALSO:Gas Station Explosion Rocks Calabar, Scores Injured, Property Destroyed

Also Read: Trump insists US-Iran ceasefire intact despite recent exchange of fire

Advertisement

CNN also reports that based on past gas spikes, it will likely take weeks for gas prices to get down below $4 a gallon.

The report, however, states that a previous two-week stretch of gas price declines only shaved 14 cents off the average price, taking the average price to $4.02, before the recent 15-day run of increases.

READ ALSO:Tinubu Signs Executive Order To Protect Nigeria’s Oil & Gas Revenue

Advertisement

According to CNN, it could take months for the average price to fall below $3 per gallon, as it did before the war in Iran.

CNN further reports that only one state – Oklahoma – now has an average price of less than $4 a gallon, and its average stands at $3.98. California has the highest average price at $6.16.

(CNN)

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending