Connect with us

Metro

Over 10 Feared Dead In Fresh Benue Attack, Lawmakers Demand Action

Published

on

More than 10 residents have been feared dead following a late-night attack on Ankpali community in Apa Local Government Area of Benue State, in yet another incident showing the worsening insecurity in the area.

The assault, which occurred on Sunday night, April 12, 2026, threw the rural settlement into mourning, with several persons still unaccounted for as search efforts continue.

Residents said the attackers, described as armed Fulani militia, stormed the village under the cover of darkness and opened fire indiscriminately, sparking panic and forcing many families to flee for safety.

Advertisement

It was gathered that last year 13 persons were killed in the same village by fulani herdsmen.

READ ALSO:Ex-Benue Gov, Ortom Opens Up On Alleged Plan To Join APC

The latest attack has left many survivors traumatised, while displaced families have sought refuge in neighbouring communities and other safer locations.

Advertisement

Reacting to the incident, the lawmaker representing Apa/Agatu Federal Constituency, Chief Hon. Pst Ojotu Ojema, condemned the killings, describing them as “barbaric, senseless and a tragic reminder of the persistent security challenges” facing the constituency and Benue State at large.

He expressed deep sorrow over the loss of lives and extended condolences to the bereaved families and the entire Edikwu-Ankpali community, while lamenting the recurring violence in Apa and Agatu local government areas.

It is unacceptable that our people continue to live in fear, can’t access their homes or farms and suffer repeated attacks without adequate protection. Security agencies must wake up to their responsibilities and bring an end to these killings once and for all,” Ojema stated.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Fire Destroys Over 300 Houses, Renders 95 Households Homeless In Benue

The lawmaker called on security agencies to take immediate and decisive steps to halt the killings, stressing that the situation has persisted for too long without a lasting solution. He also urged the Federal Government to address the root causes of insecurity and ensure that perpetrators are brought to justice.

In a separate reaction, Hon. Barr. Joy Okpainmo Ameh sympathised with the people of Edikwu-Ankpali over what she described as a gruesome massacre, condemning the repeated killings allegedly carried out by suspected herdsmen.

Advertisement

She called on the government to take concrete steps to end the violence and urged residents to remain united during the difficult period, while extending her condolences to families of the victims.

 

Advertisement

Metro

Violence Rocks APC Reps Primary In Ekiti Ward, Exercise Declared Inconclusive

Published

on

Chaos erupted at the All Progressives Congress, APC, primary for Ward 10, Fajuyi Pavilion, Ado Local Government Area of Ekiti State on Saturday.

Electoral officials halted the process and declared it inconclusive after violence broke out among party supporters.

The primary pitted Olushola Fatoba against Tope Ogunleye, widely known as RST. Loyalists and agents of both aspirants had converged on Fajuyi Pavilion before voting was scheduled to begin.

Advertisement

According to eyewitnesses, tensions rose when suspected thugs allegedly backing Fatoba stormed the venue wielding canes and firearms. Their arrival appeared aimed at intimidating Ogunleye’s supporters and suppressing turnout.

READ ALSO:APC Clears Wike Loyalists, Disqualifies All Fubara-aligned Aspirants For State Assembly

Despite the hostile atmosphere, Ogunleye’s backers held their ground, chanting solidarity songs in support of their candidate. Voting eventually started under heavy tension.

Advertisement

Observers at the scene said Ogunleye seemed to have the larger share of support among members present, with his base visibly outnumbering the opposition.

Violence broke out after Fatoba’s camp allegedly sensed an imminent loss. Clashes between both groups forced an abrupt end to voting.

During the unrest, Ogunleye’s agent, Mr. Sunday, was assaulted. Another member, Mr. Femi Ogunleye, was reportedly beaten and his Tecno Spark 9 phone seized. A female supporter, Mrs. Oluwaseun Osamuwa, was also attacked and her Apple Smart Wrist Watch stolen. Both Mr. Femi Ogunleye and Mrs. Osamuwa sustained injuries and were rushed to hospital.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Rumblings In APC Over Aborted Deal With Lawmakers

As of press time, no winner had emerged and the Ward 10 primary remained inconclusive.

The violence has renewed concerns over thuggery and intimidation in internal party elections. Party members and political observers say the incident raises serious questions about voters’ ability to freely choose candidates without fear.

Advertisement

Stakeholders are calling on security agencies and electoral authorities to probe the disruption, ensure justice for those attacked, and safeguard the credibility of future primaries.

Continue Reading

Metro

My Wife Destroyed My Property, Instigated Our Children To Beat Me, Man Tells Court

Published

on

The Grade A Customary Court, Court 2, sitting in Mapo, Ibadan, Oyo State, has delivered judgment in a divorce suit filed by a man, Theophilus, against his wife, Aina, whom she accused of lack of affection, frequent quarrels, and domestic violence.

According to Theophilus, Aina was stubborn and always insisted on having things her own way.

He further said that she was disobedient and refused to listen to him.

Advertisement

The plaintiff also told the court that the defendant was hostile towards their friends and neighbours, which often led to conflicts between them.

READ ALSO:My Wife Attempted Suicide, Turned Our Children Against Me ‘Cos I Suddenly Became Poor —Husband

He further claimed that Aina was violent and would attack him with any object within her reach during disagreements.

Advertisement

In addition, he accused her of destroying his property whenever they had differences.

Theophilus also explained that Aina turned their children against him.

He stated that they assaulted him and damaged his belongings.

Advertisement

He told the court that he eventually left their home because he feared for his safety and believed that the defendant intended to harm him.

READ ALSO:My Husband Is A Figurehead, I Feed Our Five Children, Pay Their Fees

The plaintiff therefore appealed to the court to dissolve their marriage and also requested an order restraining Aina from threatening him or interfering with his privacy.

Advertisement

Aina was absent from court despite being served court summons.

Theophilus, while giving his testimony before the court, stated, “I have not enjoyed peace or rest of mind since I married my wife.

“I paid her bride price to her family, but they rejected it.

Advertisement

“My wife is far from being a virtuous woman.

“She was never submissive and was always full of herself.

READ ALSO:My Wife Of 22yrs Denies Me Sex —Husband

Advertisement

She had no respect for me and disobeyed my instructions whenever she wished.

“She neither listened to me nor accepted my advice.

“My wife was also violent.

Advertisement

“During disagreements, she attacked me with any dangerous object she could lay her hands on.

“On three different occasions, Aina destroyed my property.

“Our neighbours and friends were not exempt from her hostility.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Man Jumped To His Death To Avoid Being Caught By Lover’s Husband

She was constantly at loggerheads with them and fought with them on several occasions.

“My wife also turned our children against me.

Advertisement

“They beat me mercilessly and nearly killed me.

“They also destroyed my belongings.

“I left the house after the incident because it became obvious that my wife wanted me dead.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:My Husband Is A Figurehead, I Feed Our Five Children, Pay Their Fees

“I came to court to seek the dissolution of our marriage because my wife’s presence in my life has brought me nothing but pain and suffering.

“I sincerely appeal to the court to dissolve our marriage.

Advertisement

“I also request an order restraining her from threatening me or interfering with my privacy.”

The Court President, Mrs. O. E. Owoseni, while delivering judgment, stated that there was no valid marriage to dissolve because no marital rites were performed, and no bride price was paid.

Owoseni also issued an order restraining the defendant from threatening or interfering with the plaintiff’s private life

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading

Metro

‘I Have Nowhere To Go, He Married Me At 14yrs Old, Now He Wants Divorce 30yrs After’

Published

on

A 44-year-old woman, Zainab Isah, has told a Shari’a Court 1 sitting at Magajin Gari, Kaduna, Kaduna State, that she had nowhere to go after her divorce from her husband, Alhaji Abdulhamid.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Zainab told the court that Abdulhamid married her when she was 14 years old.

“I have been married to him for 30 years now and our union is blessed with 10 children,” she stated.

Advertisement

She further said that her husband divorced her on January 1.

READ ALSO:My Husband Disappeared From Home For Six Years, Left Me, Our Children To Starve — Wife

“I am yet to complete my waiting period (Iddah), as required under Islam.

Advertisement

“I lived in peace with my co-wives but I can’t leave my children for them; three of my children are sick,” she said.

Earlier , Abdulrashid Musa, counsel to Abdulhamid, prayed the court to compel Zainab to leave his house since they were no longer married.

He said he had issued two pronouncement of divorce to the defendant.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:After Divorce, She Became A Tenant In My House —Ex-husband

The first, he said was pronounced on December 29, 2025, adding that she had finished her Iddah.

He stated that all efforts made by him to ensure she leaves his house, failed.

Advertisement

He alleged that she was causing trouble for his other wives.

READ ALSO:My Wife Swore To Kill Me, Stopped Cooking For Me — Husband

The complainant however, told the court that he was ready to pay for his ex wife’s rent when she gets a new place to live with her children.

Advertisement

The judge, Malam Mu’awiya Shehu said the rights of a woman for shelter, feeding and other provisions by the husband ends when divorce occur adding that only the children have the right to be taken care of .

He adjourned the matter to June 1 for the defendant to find a new place she can relocate to with her children.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending