Connect with us

News

PAP: Remain Focused; Don’t Be Distracted By Nay Sayers, Sen. Manager Tells Otuaro

Published

on

Senator James Manager (left) and the Administrator of the Presidential Amnesty Programme, Dr Dennis Otuaro during the visit at the Week

Senator James Manager, who represented Delta South Senatorial District in the National Assembly, has urged Administrator of the Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP), Dr. Dennis Otuaro, to be focused and never to be distracted by people he (Manager) referred to as “enemies of the Ijaw nation and the Niger Delta.”

Manager spoke when Otuaro paid him a consultative visit in his Abuja residence at the weekend.

A statement issued by the Special Assistant on Media to the PAP Administrator, Mr Igoniko Oduma, on Sunday, quoted Manager as saying some of the challenges besetting the Presidential Amnesty Programme are distractions deliberately executed by some elements who do not mean well for the Ijaw nation and indeed the Niger Delta.

Advertisement

According to him, the malicious plots were designed to distract the PAP Administrator, Dr Dennis Otuaro, from performing his duties.

READ ALSO: Purported Leaked Document: Group Condemns Allegations Against PAP Boss, Otuaro

Manager, while stating that the PAP boss had shown great capacity and competence in the discharge of his duties since assuming office, gave Otuaro pat on the back for handling the office effectively despite such distractions.

Advertisement

He noted that Otuaro’s approach to the implementation of the programme’s mandate indicated that he had an idea about how to administer the programme even before President Bola Tinubu appointed him.

Manager, who served the constituents of Delta South senatorial district for 20 years, said there was no doubt that Otuaro understood the challenges of the office and the problems of the Niger Delta.

He expressed delight that he had achieved a huge milestone in repositioning the office for greater service to the people of the region and the country in general.

Advertisement

Manager stressed that the programme was established for the sustainable peace, security, stability and development of the region, noting that Otuaro was on the right track in carrying out the programme’s objectives.

READ ALSO: Ijaw Youths Network Warns Detractors To Leave PAP Boss Alone

He said, “Once again I want to thank you for your consultative visit. You are someone who was very involved in the struggle, and I trust that you have the capacity and competence to run the office.

Advertisement

“Already, you have shown capacity in the efficient manner you have handled the office and the implementation of the PAP mandate, which was created for a specific purpose and for the sustenance of the peace, security and development of the Niger Delta.

“I want to urge you to remain focused on your goals. It is true some of the challenges of the Presidential Amnesty Programme are orchestrated distractions from some elements who do not think good towards the Ijaw nation and the Niger Delta. But just be focused on things your are doing.’

Earlier in his remarks, the PAP Administrator had told Senator Manager that the programme under his leadership was working assiduously to reposition it in the overall benefit of the region.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Olusegun Obasanjo Foundation Donates N6bn Hearing Aids To Bauchi Residents

Otuaro said the programme was at its reintegration phase which was very wide in scope, adding that with more funding the PAP office would achieve much more through its educational, vocational and post-training empowerment initiatives for the people of the region.

He said, “I know the challenges of our region. We are in the reintegration phase of the programme which is very wide in scope, and we need to do more engagement in the interest of our region and Nigeria as a whole.

Advertisement

“We believe that with more funding we will be able to do more for our region in terms of sustainable peace, security and unhindered development of our region.

“We have the educational, vocational and post-training empowerment programmes that we are carrying out to accommodate everybody.

“We are doing whatever we are doing for the betterment of our people and our region.”

Advertisement

News

EFCC Releases Malami After Interrogation, Gives Fresh Appointment For More Questioning

Published

on

Former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, says his engagement with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, following an invitation by the agency has been “successful.”

Malami, who disclosed this in a post on his X handle on Saturday, said he was released after the interaction and given an appointment for further questioning.

In line with my undertaking to keep Nigerians updated on my invitation by EFCC, I give glory to Allah for His divine intervention. The engagement was successful and I am eventually released, while on an appointment for further engagement, as the truth relating to the fabricated allegations against me continues to unfold,” he wrote.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:JUST IN: EFCC Summons Ex-AGF Malami For Questioning

The EFCC had earlier invited the former minister over allegations linked to his time in office, though the commission has not publicly disclosed details of the issues under investigation.

Malami previously announced that he would honour the invitation, saying it aligned with his commitment to accountability and transparency.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

VIDEO: Jonathan Breaks Silence On Guinea-Bissau’s Military Takeover

Published

on

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has broken silence following the recent military takeover in Guinea-Bissau, describing it as a conventional coup, insisting it was “maybe a ceremonial coup” given the strange manner in which it unfolded.

Jonathan, who spoke extensively in an interview with Symfoni posted on YouTube on Friday, said he felt compelled to address the media to thank Nigerians for their concern and to clarify what truly happened while he was in Bissau as head of the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission.

“You know, since I left office, I’ve always been scared of talking to the media,” he said. “But in this particular case, I decided to speak… first and foremost, to thank Nigerians for the show of empathy, the encouragement.”

Advertisement

Gunfire erupted around key government buildings in Bissau on Wednesday, with soldiers claiming they had “total control” of the country and followed by curfew, border closures and the detention of top government and security officials.

In another development, Tribune Online reports that ousted President, Umaro Sissoco Embaló, flew to Senegal after the intervention of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).

READ ALSO:Why I Returned To Nigeria On Ivorian Jet — Jonathan

Advertisement

Reacting to the development, Jonathan however suggested the situation defied all known patterns of a coup.

“I wouldn’t call it a coup. It was not a coup. I would just say, for want of a better word, maybe it was a ceremonial coup,” he said. “For two things: It is the president, President Embaló, who announced the coup. Later, the military men came up to address the world that they were in charge of everywhere.”

He continued, “Then Embaló had already announced the coup, which is strange. Not only announcing the coup, but Embaló, while the coup took place, was using his phone and addressing media organisations across the world that he had been arrested.”

Advertisement

The former president, drawing from his experience as a Nigerian and a regional mediator, said the events were unlike anything he had seen.

“I’m a Nigerian close to 70, and I know how they keep heads of state when a coup takes place. Recently, I was a mediator in Mali, and within that period, we had a military coup. The military doesn’t take over governments, and the sitting president that they overthrew would be allowed to be addressing press conferences and announcing that he has been arrested. Why does this happen? Who is fooling whom?”

READ ALSO:Guinea-Bissau Military Takeover Is ‘Ceremonial Coup’ – Jonathan

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Nigeria’s Federal Government had earlier condemned the development as “a serious threat to democracy and regional stability,” and confirmed Jonathan’s safe evacuation by a special flight alongside his delegation.

Jonathan used the interview to call on ECOWAS and the African Union to promptly announce results of the election that was underway in Guinea-Bissau before the military disrupted the process.

“They have the results because AU and ECOWAS officials were in all the regions when the results were collated. They cannot change those results. They should tally all those results and announce them. They cannot force the military out. They must announce and let the world know who won that election.”

Advertisement

He stressed that the integrity of elections must be upheld in West Africa, recalling his experience overseeing Côte d’Ivoire’s contentious 2010 presidential poll.

A similar thing happened in Côte d’Ivoire when I was the Chair of the Authority of Heads of State and Government of ECOWAS,” he said. He narrated how Laurent Gbagbo and Alassane Ouattara went into a second round after neither met the 50% +1 requirement.

READ ALSO:Guinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan

Advertisement

“In the second round, Ouattara then got more votes than Gbagbo. And Gbagbo said he was not going, that he won the election,” Jonathan recounted. “But all the observers in the international community said Ouattara won the election. And we in ECOWAS said, well, you are our colleague, but you have to go.”

According to him, his insistence on respecting the will of the people ensured a peaceful transfer of power at the time.

“I stood my ground, and Ouattara was sworn in,” he said.

Advertisement

Jonathan reiterated that Guinea-Bissau’s situation was “disturbing” to anyone who believes in democracy and insisted that respecting election results remains the only path to stability in the region.

Watch video here

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

(VIDEO) Obasanjo To Tinubu: Why Are We Negotiating With Bandits?

Published

on

Former Nigeria’s President, Olusegun Obasanjo, has berated what he described as seeming failure of the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led administration to wipe out bandits terrorising the country, questioning the rationale behind the government reportedly negotiating with armed groups.

The former President said this on Friday while speaking at the Plateau Unity Christmas and Praise Festival, ongoing at the Ten Commandments Prayer Altar, Dwei-Du, Jos South LGA of Plateau State.

According to him, Nigerians are at liberty to seek help from the international community if their own government fails in its core responsibility.

Advertisement

He noted that despite Nigerians, across regions and religions being killed, the Nigerian government seems incapable of protecting its citizens, describing the killings as “nonsensical.”

READ ALSO:Bandits Demand N500m As Ransom To Release 13 Kaduna Locals

We are part of the world community. If our government cannot do it, we have the right to call on the international community to do for us what our government cannot do for us. If we are being killed, it is the responsibility of government to do something about it.

Advertisement

“We should ask government to do what it has to do at all levels. We should ask our leaders to do what they have to do at all levels, in all walks of life,” he said.

Continuing, Obasanjo stated that the world is advanced enough for anyone to hide anywhere and go scot-free after committing a crime.

In these days of technology, there should be nobody hiding anywhere after he has committed a crime that cannot be seen with the present day satellite,” he added.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:BREAKING: Bandits Abduct Teenage Boy, Six Girls From FCT Community

Recalling his time as Nigeria’s President, Obasanjo said the opportunity of drones has now made it easy for anyone to be picked out from anywhere unlike his time.

Before I left government, I knew we had the capacity to pick up anybody in Nigeria. The capacity we didn’t have then was that, after we had identified and located such a criminal, we didn’t have the capacity to pick him up without moving on land or by air. Now we have capacity with drones. You can take them out. Why are we not doing that?

Advertisement

“Why are we negotiating? And after government has paid these criminals, government denies!

“We should appeal to our government to do what needs to be done to stop Nigerians being killed.

“We are tired of being killed, and we want the killing of Nigerians, whether they are Christians or Muslims or pagans, they are Nigerians, and the life of every Nigerian matters. It should stop,” he stressed.

Advertisement

Watch video here

Continue Reading

Trending