Politics
PCV Collection: Edo LP Raises Alarm Over Attack On Members, Fingers PDP
Published
3 years agoon
By
Editor
The Edo State chapter of Labour Party, LP, has raised the alarm that its members and supporters who turned out to collect their Permanent Voter Card, PVC, are being intimidated and attacked across the state by thugs the party alleged sponsored by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.
INFO DAILY had reported that the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, had raised similar alarm of disruption of collection of PVCs in some centres and intimidation of its staffs by thugs yesterday, Saturday, January 7.
The state Publicity Secretary of LP, Comrade Sam Uroupa, who confirmed the attack in a statement made available to INFO DAILY on Sunday, said the thugs invaded various collection centres, attacked LP members and supporters who were on queue to collect their PVCs and warned INEC staffs not to attend to anyone until their members (PDP) have all collected theirs.
Uroupa who said he also witness one the attacks and he consequently received the beating of his life, added that the thugs are not just attacking LP members, but also destroying billboards belonging to Labour Party candidates.
READ ALSO: Private Jet: What I did When EFCC Probed Me – Pastor Adeboye
His statement reads in part: “Report reaching the Edo State Labour Party from some PVC collection centres says that thugs allegedly sponsored by PDP are attacking and preventing Labour Party members from collecting PVCs.
“According to the report, the thugs specifically warned the INEC officials that if their PDP members have not collected, no body else will be allowed to get their PVC.
“In ward 6 Ikpoba Okha LGA, some PDP thugs allegedly led by one Apostle by name invaded the PVC collection exercise and beat up the people when they observed that majority of those on the queue are Obedient members.
” It was suspected that these were the same people who carried out the attack on LP secretariat at Ugbekun ward 7 Ikpoba Okha LGA some time in December last year to forcefully take over the office.
“In ward 9 Ogheghe Health Center, Ikpoba Okha LGA, the situation was not different as the PDP thugs in the community distrupted the exercise chasing everybody, including the INEC staffs and made away with the PVCs to prevent LP members from collecting.
“Though it was reported that they later returned the PVCs but the exercise could not continue again as the INEC staffs were apprehensive of their own safety.
“Similarly, in Oghede ward 10 Ovia North East LGA, the LP chairman was attacked by PDP thugs and his cellphone was destroyed during the PVC distribution exercise. The same PDP leaders and their thugs succeeded in taking the INEC officials to an hotel where it was suspected that some PVCs were handed over.
“In Oluku ward 6 Ovia North East LGA, the ward chairman suffered the same fate as he was attacked by hoodlums suspected to be PDP thugs.
“At some other locations it was heavy gun shots to scare people away and cause panic.
“Because the PDP have seen the handwriting, they resorted to violence against members of our great party the LP. As we speak, at Egor, over 50 (fifty) mini campaign billboards of our House of Assembly candidate for Egor constituency, Hon. Derrick Uhunmwagho has been destroyed and taken away by the PDP hired thugs because they are afraid of going into the election with all our candidates,” the statement added.
The Publicity Secretary who said Labour Party and its teaming supporters would not be deterred by intimidation, adding that the party is determined to “deliver Nigeria from the evil grip of APC and PDP, we are not going to lose focus on our rescue mission.”
READ ALSO: 2023 Presidential Election: God’s Candidate Will Win, No Bloodshed, Bishop Oyedepo Declares
“Nigerians have suffered enough in the hands of these two parties, our economy is in shambles and security of lives and property is totally zero,” he added.
While calling on the security agents to intervene, Uroupa added: “We want to use this medium to appeal to well meaning Nigerians, the security agencies, all Edolites and the general public to please call the Edo State PDP to order.”
Efforts by INFO DAILY to reach the Publicity Secretary of PDP in the state proved abortive as his cellphone number was not going through.
You may like
Edo Hospital Denies Complicity In Death Of Twin Babies
Edo Police Arrest Doctor Over Woman’s Death During Caesarean Section
Cult Clash Leaves One Dead In Edo
Edo Issues New Guideline On Education, Says Siblings’ Textbooks Transferable, Bans Graduation For KGs, Others, [A MUST READ]
Ovia By-election, Litmus Test To APC Success In 2027, Says Edo Deputy Gov
Okolosie Donates Cassava Industrial Machines, Cash To Women, Canvasses Support For Okpebholo
Politics
Wike Gives Update On Rivers Emergency Rule Expires Date
Published
15 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, on Saturday said he was optimistic that the state of emergency declared in Rivers State would expire on September 18.
He disclosed this after casting his vote in the ongoing local government election in the state.
Wike noted that the expiration would pave the way for the state House of Assembly to resume its legislative duties.
READ ALSO:He’s Always Leaving, Wike’s Aide Mocks Atiku Over PDP Exit
“As far as we are concerned, this election is peaceful, people are trooping out and at the end of the day the election has been conducted successfully and peacefully.
“I do know that by September 18, the state of emergency will expire and the state assembly will come back to their job and we will have a government at the grassroots level,” Wike said.
The minister said the conditions were right for lifting the state of emergency since both state and local governments now had representation.
READ ALSO:Amaechi: I Will Resign As FCT Minister If… Wike
He added, “The coast is clear for the state of emergency to be lifted, being that the state government has its representative and the local government has its representatives, so we are good to go.”
President Bola Tinubu had earlier imposed emergency rule in Rivers to prevent a political crisis, suspending Governor Siminalayi Fubara, his deputy, and the State House of Assembly for six months.
Politics
APC Mocks Jonathan As ADC Woos Him For 2027 Race
Published
21 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
There were reports on Friday that a powerful group within the African Democratic Congress (ADC) is wooing ex-President Goodluck Jonathan for the 2027 presidential race.
A source close to both the former president and the ADC told Saturday Tribune on Friday that the former president is seriously considering running in the coming presidential polls.
The source confirmed that key figures in the ADC were comfortable with having Jonathan as their presidential candidate and had, in fact, reached out to him.
He, however, said the former president was torn between his loyalty to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) “which made him” and the ADC which, he said, had the potential of winning the election if it gets the right candidate.
“Former President Goodluck Jonathan is worried that certain persons with strong links to the Villa may still be in control of the PDP and may mess him up if he seeks the ticket of that party,” the source said.
READ ALSO:ADC: Why INEC Has Not Recognised David Mark, Others
He added that Jonathan’s only issue with the ADC is that “he does not want to contest against Peter Obi because he believes that the Igbo people supported him in 2015 even more than his own Ijaw people.”
While saying emphatically that Jonathan would run except he could not find a platform, the source added that “if he chooses our party (ADC), we will zone the presidency to the South. If he does not come to us, we will have no option than to go to the North because politics is about numbers and winning.”
Jonathan can’t defeat Tinubu —APC
Meanwhile, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has said that former President Goodluck Jonathan cannot defeat its candidate, Bola Tinubu, in the presidential election coming up in 2027.
The Lagos State chapter of the party said on Friday that it had observed with keen interest the growing speculations surrounding the possible return of former President Jonathan to the 2027 presidential race, and therefore made the submission.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Jonathan, who lost his re-election bid in 2015 to the late President Muhammadu Buhari, is being persuaded by supporters to seek reelection in 2027 general elections.
READ ALSO:ADC Slams Tinubu Over Mounting Debts, Demands Audit
NAN reported APC’s spokesman in Lagos State, Mr Seye Oladejo, in a statement on Friday as noting that the former president’s political relevance to unseat President Bola Tinubu, remained in doubt.
“While we acknowledge the former president’s role in the peaceful democratic transition of 2015, an act that rightly earned him praise at home and abroad, we must state, in clear terms, that Nigeria has since moved beyond the politics of sentiment, nostalgia, and symbolism.
“The challenges of today and the future require bold, capable, and forward-thinking leadership, not a return to the comfort of a past that was far from perfect.
“Let it be clear: good luck alone is not a governance strategy,” he said.
Oladejo alleged that the Jonathan administration, from 2010 to 2015, left behind a country grappling with severe structural weaknesses, from unchecked corruption to alarming insecurity and economic inertia.
READ ALSO:Oyegun Blames APC For Hunger Starvation, Oyegun Gets ADC Party’s Card
“While some may look back on those years with rose-tinted glasses, we must remind ourselves that nostalgia is not a policy platform.
“Emotion cannot drive economic reform, and sentimentality will not fix power generation, insecurity, youth unemployment, or education sector decay,” the APC chieftain said.
Oladejo said that the party also noted the constitutional and political complications of a potential Jonathan candidacy.
According to him, having completed more than one term in office, any return bid will inevitably trigger legal contention and political instability — distractions Nigeria cannot afford in a time when decisive action is needed across all sectors of national life.
“Moreover, the former president’s political relevance has been complicated by his recent engagements across party lines.
READ ALSO:97 Lawyers Line Up To Defend ADC, Mark, Aregbesola Against APC’s ‘Fake Lawsuit’
“His flirtation with the APC and absence from PDP’s strategic rebuilding efforts raise questions about his loyalty, clarity of vision, and political intentions,” he said.
According to him, the APC remains focused on consolidating progress, implementing reforms, and engaging the Nigerian electorate with fresh ideas and credible candidates who reflect the aspirations of a dynamic, youthful population.
“We believe the future of Nigeria does not lie in recycled leadership but in visionary governance rooted in integrity, innovation, and resilience.
“Former President Jonathan remains a respected elder statesman. His legacy as a peaceful democrat is assured. But legacies are not manifestoes, and nostalgia is not governance.
“We urge Nigerians to reject emotional shortcuts and stay focused on the need for capable, accountable and transformative leadership.
“As 2027 approaches, let us not reach backwards in desperation, but move forward with courage and clarity,” Oladejo said.
Politics
Marafa’s Loyalists Quit APC, Cite Neglect Of Zamfara
Published
2 days agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
Supporters of former Zamfara Central Senator, Kabiru Marafa, have announced their resignation from the All Progressives Congress, citing what they described as injustice, marginalisation and deliberate neglect of the state by the ruling party and President Bola Tinubu’s administration.
The group, operating under the aegis of the Senator Kabiru Marafa Consultative Forum, met in Kaduna on Wednesday and Thursday, August 27 and 28, 2025, to deliberate on the worsening political, security and developmental situation in the state.
At the end of the meeting, the forum issued a communique signed by its chairman, Bashir Mafara, secretary Mannir Tsafe, and seven others, formally announcing their exit from the APC.
The communique partly read, “After broad consultations and critical review of the prevailing circumstances, the political structure of Distinguished Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa OFR, CON across the 147 wards in Zamfara State unanimously resolved as follows:
READ ALSO:Ekiti 2026: APC Aspirant Slams Oyebanji For Threatening Party Leaders
“The entire structure with all its supporters hereby formally resigns from the All Progressives Congress in protest against the sustained injustice, mistrust, marginalisation, and deliberate neglect of Zamfara State and its people.
“That we shall, in due course, announce our next political direction, guided by the collective interest of the good people of Zamfara State.”
The group expressed concern over the deteriorating security situation in the state, pointing to official data and community reports on rising kidnappings and killings.
“The Federal Government of Nigeria, under the leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR, hasn’t been able to address the persistent and senseless kidnappings and killings of innocent citizens in Zamfara State, despite the explicit promises made during the 2023 presidential campaign.
READ ALSO:Police Arrest Pastor, Wife Over Staged Self-kidnap In Ondo
“The situation continues to worsen, leaving communities devastated and hopeless,” they said.
The group claimed that reports indicate that out of the 4,722 people kidnapped over one year in Nigeria in 2024, 1,203 are from Zamfara State, followed by Kaduna State with 629.
It added that the Zamfara Circle Community Initiatives reported that 25 villages suffered attacks in one week after the just concluded by-election, with 145 people kidnapped and 21 killed.
The senator’s loyalists also accused the government of politicising insecurity for electoral gains.
On the alleged marginalisation of Zamfara in political appointments and projects, the communique added, “Despite the fact that Zamfara State was one of only two states in the entire North-West geopolitical zone that delivered victory to President Bola Tinubu during the 2023 presidential election spearheaded by Distinguished Senator Kabiru Garba Marafa OFR, CON as State Coordinator which the President himself categorically acknowledged during his speech shortly after his declaration as the winner of the 2023 election by INEC, the state has been sidelined in all facets of human developments including protection of lives and properties, infrastructural developments as well as fair representation in political appointments.
READ ALSO:APC Disowns Members Calling For State Secretary’s Resignation
“The state was given only a Minister of State, while most states in the Northwest got two slots.
“But more unfair is the allocation given to the Southwest that corners the entire financial sector, with some states getting multiple ministerial slots and countless agencies.
“For example, Lagos state, where President Tinubu lost the election, has enjoyed overwhelming patronage in terms of appointments and developmental projects, underscoring the deliberate marginalisation of Zamfara state, where Mr. President won.”
READ ALSO:Group Demands Edo APC Secretary Resignation Over Alleged Marginalision
The forum concluded by accusing the APC leadership of betraying its founding principles of fairness and justice.
“The above actions and omissions negate the fundamental principles of justice, fairness, equity and accountability upon which the APC was founded.
“Conscience demands that genuine progressives must stand for truth and resist injustice, no matter how uncomfortable,” it said.
- Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap
- 35-year-old Man Electrocuted In Ebonyi
- Police Foil Robbery On Sagamu-Benin Expressway, Recover Stolen Tricycle In Ogun
- Nigerian Man Pleads Guilty In US To $405,000 Romance Scam Against American Women
- UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration
- Chelsea Vs Barcelona, Arsenal Vs Bayern — UEFA Releases Fixture Date, Time
- Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef
- PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis
- Wike Gives Update On Rivers Emergency Rule Expires Date
- Police Arrest Kidnap Kingpin, Others In Benue
Trending
- News3 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Politics3 days ago
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
- News3 days ago
Firm Wants Attorney-General Investigate Court Ruling On Breach Of Contract
- News4 days ago
US Court Sentences Osun Monarch To Prison Over $4.2m Fraud
- News3 days ago
Ondo Bans Graduation Ceremonies In Primary, Junior Secondary Schools
- News3 days ago
Access Holdings Names New GMD/CEO
- News3 days ago
BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
- News3 days ago
JUST IN: NLC Defies Edo Assembly Resolution, Inaugurates Factional Caretaker Committee
- News5 days ago
Edo Hospital Denies Complicity In Death Of Twin Babies
- Metro3 days ago
Man Stabs Colleague To Death In Lagos Over Money Dispute