Connect with us

Metro

Police Arrest Three Kidnappers Over ₦6.9m Ransom, Victim’s Murder

Published

on

Operatives of the Rivers State Police Command have arrested three suspected kidnappers who allegedly killed one of their victims after collecting N6.9 million ransom.

The Command’s Police Public Relations Officer, Grace Iringe-Koko, confirmed this in a statement issued on Monday.

Iringe-Koko identified the suspects as Hassan Mohammed (20) of Wandigah Town, Mandagali, Borno State; Bello Abubakar (25) of Roundabout Maura, Sokoto State; and Yusuf Ahmed (23) of Hazari LGA, Bauchi State.

Advertisement

She said the arrests followed an investigation into the abduction of Humphrey Wagbara of Igwuruta-Atali.

According to the PPRO, the suspects also kidnapped one Mercy Chinyere on September 12, 2025, at the same location, where they also collected a ransom of N3,500,000 before releasing her.

READ ALSO:Man Arrested For Defiling 12-year-old Girl In Rivers

Advertisement

The statement read, “On 26th August, 2025, the Rivers State Police Command received a distressing report, suggesting the kidnapping of one Humphrey Wagbara, m of Igwuruta-Atali.

“Operatives of the Command attached to the Anti-Cultism Unit (ACU), Emohua Annexe, acting on this information and in a daring and coordinated operation on 19th September, 2025, at about 0200hrs arrested three suspects at different locations in Obio/Akpor and Ikwerre Local Government Areas of the State in connection with the kidnapping of the victim.”

Iringe-Koko said during interrogation, the suspects voluntarily confessed to their involvement in multiple kidnappings in the State.

Advertisement

Among their past kidnappings are those of Onwuli Jude and Nwabueze Nchekwube on September 24, 2025, at School Road, Igwuruta-Atali, where they collected a ransom of N6,900,000 before killing the victim.

READ ALSO:Police Arrest 10 Suspected Drug Peddlers In Delta, Recover Illicit Drugs

“Exhibits recovered from the suspects include one G-3 rifle with Breech Number 10398, one magazine, one Itel phone belonging to Humphrey Wagbara, a kidnapped victim, three short daggers, one jack knife and one stainless short knife,” Rivers police imagemaker said.

Advertisement

Iringe-Koko added that the suspects and exhibits remain in police custody while detectives track other fleeing members of the syndicate and search for additional weapons.

The Command said it arrested a 48-year-old man, Emmanuel George, for allegedly defiling a 12-year-old girl (name withheld) in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

According to Iringe-Koko, George committed the offence on September 6, 2025, after luring the minor while she was sent on an errand by her aunt.

Advertisement

Metro

Ngige Recounts Attack On Convoy By Gunmen

Published

on

A former Anambra State Governor and ex-Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, has narrated how his convoy was attacked by yet-to-be-identified gunmen.

Ngige said the incident occurred when his personal aides were returning from an errand, resulting in the death of a woman, while his police orderly was shot in the leg and stripped of his rifle and uniform.

He disclosed this to journalists on Friday, when the Labour Party presidential candidate in the 2023 general election, Peter Obi, visited him at his country home in Alor, Idemili South Local Government Area of Anambra State, to commiserate with him over the attack.

Advertisement

Ngige said he had been in Anambra since Saturday and had sent his personal aides on errands, including taking one of his vehicles for maintenance, when they were ambushed on their way back.

Dispelling rumours of his death, he said, “As you can see, I am alive; I am not dead, so there should be no panic. They attacked my convoy while they were returning around Umuoji. They saw some vehicles racing towards them, which later reversed, chased after them and started shooting.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: One Dead As Ngige Escapes Assassination

Advertisement

“The assailants were all dressed in police and army uniforms. My convoy driver managed to manoeuvre until they ran into a shop. They caught up with my police security man who battled with them until his bullets were exhausted.

“They took away his rifle and uniform after shooting him in the leg.

“They told the two policemen that they were serving a ‘zoo government’. I think something is in the offing. They are seizing arms and mopping up police uniforms.

Advertisement

“I have spoken to the governor of the state, who assured me they will be tracked down. If they are not tracked down, it can lead to potential danger and an unravelling of the calmness we have enjoyed in the state for the past three months.

“You know we are entering the Christmas season and our people will be coming home. They need to be tracked down because this is a gang with a modus operandi of operating in police uniforms.”

On whether he believed the attack was targeted, Ngige said it was possible because his pilot driver and convoy are well known, but added that it might also be coincidental.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Anambra Guber: ‘I’m On Sabbatical,’ Don’t Use My Name In Your Campaign, Ngige Tells APC

My pilot driver is very well known. Anywhere people see him, they know Ngige is around. He has driven me for 22 years. So, on that basis, I may say they knew it was my convoy and decided to attack.

“On the other hand, it may be that they just saw a convoy with policemen and attacked them to harvest guns and uniforms. So I’m not insisting it was targeted. Anyone who targets me is wasting his time,” he added.

Advertisement

Speaking on the attackers’ reference to serving a “zoo government” and the recent tension surrounding the incarceration of the Indigenous People of Biafra leader, Nnamdi Kanu, Ngige said the situation called for a political solution.

When they told the security men that they were serving a ‘zoo government’ and should tell their masters they are coming for them, you know what that means.

“My take is that Nnamdi Kanu’s case requires a political solution. I met former President Muhammadu Buhari over it. Governor Soludo has also said he wants Kanu released to him. But even if they don’t want to release him to us, they can release him to Britain.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Obiano’s Ex-aide Opens Up On Rumoured Former Anambra Gov’s Death

“Why I say so is because the symptoms he is exhibiting are bizarre. I am not a psychiatrist, but something is wrong. Even the doctors who conducted the psychiatric evaluation missed something. There is a mania component. In such cases, the court normally discharges the person. This is elementary psychiatry, and I am a medical doctor,” he said.

Also speaking, Obi, who visited Ngige in Alor, thanked God for sparing the former governor’s life and commiserated with the family of the woman who was shot dead while making a video of the incident.

Advertisement

Recall that unidentified gunmen attacked Ngige’s convoy along the Nkpor–Nnobi Road in Idemili North Local Government Area on Thursday.

READ ALSO:Romanian Defence Minister Quits After Admitting Error In Academic Record

According to Ngige’s former media aide, Sir Fred Chukwuelobe, the former governor was not in the convoy at the time of the attack.

Advertisement

A policeman in the pilot car was shot, and his gun and uniform were taken by the assailants, who were reportedly dressed in police and military uniforms.

Eyewitnesses said a woman who was recording the shooting was fatally shot, while a shop owner who rushed out to observe the commotion was also hit but survived and is scheduled for surgery to remove bullets lodged in his body.

No policeman was killed. The escort leader who was shot has been operated upon and is expected to make a full recovery,” one eyewitness said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Househelp Stabs Employer’s Daughter To Death, Takes Own Life

Published

on

The Rivers State Police Command has launched an investigation into the death of a seven-year-old girl, Alicia Olajumoke, who was allegedly stabbed to death by her minder in Rumueme, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of the state.

Details of the incident, which occurred on Tuesday, were scanty as of the time of filing this report.

However, it was gathered that the minder reportedly committed suicide after realizing the enormity of her actions.

Advertisement

Sources said the house help went to the school of her employer’s daughter, picked her up, and took her home before carrying out the act.

READ ALSO:Bamise Ayanwole’s Death: Why BRT Bus Has No Inbuilt Camera – Sanwo-Olu

In a statement on Friday, the police spokesperson, SP Grace Iringe-Koko, said the toddler’s mother, Glory Joseph, reported the incident to the police.

Advertisement

Iringe-Koko added that the seven-year-old girl died before reaching the hospital, where the minder, who also took her own life, was confirmed dead.

She further stated that while the corpses of both victims have been deposited at the hospital, the case has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (SCID) of the Police Command for a detailed probe.

The statement read, “Today, 25th November 2025, one Glory Joseph, female, of No. 21 Okabia Street, Agip Estate, Rumueme, reported at the station that her daughter, Alicia Olajumoke, female, aged seven years, was stabbed to death at about 1400 hours by one Success, female, surname yet to be known.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Four Suspected Robbers Killed In Gunfight With Police In Delta

She (Glory) further said that the suspect went to the school of the deceased, picked her up, took her home, and stabbed her to death. The suspect also inflicted a stab wound on her own throat.

“The scene of the crime was visited, and photographs were taken. The victim was rushed to the hospital, where she was confirmed dead. The suspect was also rushed to the same hospital and confirmed dead.

Advertisement

“The corpse of the deceased has been deposited at the morgue for autopsy. The case has been transferred to the SCID. Preliminary investigation is ongoing, and further developments will be communicated.”

READ ALSO:Four Suspected Robbers Killed In Gunfight With Police In Delta

Cases of violent attacks on children by household staff are rare but not unprecedented in Nigeria, raising concerns about vetting and supervision of domestic workers.

Advertisement

In one notable case, a domestic worker was sentenced to death by hanging in 2023 for killing an elderly employer and her daughter.

Continue Reading

Metro

Police Arrest 26 Over Fake Currency, Adulterated Diesel In Lagos

Published

on

The Lagos State Police Command on Friday announced the arrest of twenty-six male suspects linked to “the possession of counterfeit currency and the production and sale of adulterated diesel to unsuspecting motorists at Eti-Osa, Lekki, Lagos.”

According to the Command, the suspects were apprehended on 27th November 2025 at about 1330 hours in a joint operation with operatives of the Kick Against Indiscipline (KAI).

Police said, “Nine Hundred and Fifty-One Thousand, Three Hundred Naira (₦951,300) in counterfeit notes were recovered from their premises.”

Advertisement

All these were detailed in a Friday press release shared on the Command’s official X handle and signed by its Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abimbola Adebisi.

READ ALSO:Police Stop Egungun Festival In Lagos Community

Preliminary investigations, the release stated, showed that Abubakar Rilean (40 years), Abubakar Abdullahi (35 years), Adamu Ibrahim Jora (35 years), and Michael John (30 years) were involved in “the production and distribution of adulterated engine oil/diesel, popularly known as ‘rice and beans,’ which they sold to unsuspecting and innocent motorists.”

Advertisement

Two others, Ichapi Moses (30 years) and Samson Adike (28 years), were identified as suppliers of the adulterated petroleum products in the area.

The Commissioner of Police, CP Olohundare Jimoh, warned individuals across the state engaging in unlawful acts to desist, declaring that the Command was “intensifying efforts and closing in strongly on perpetrators.”

He added: “Anyone found engaging in acts capable of endangering public peace, damaging vehicles, or threatening economic stability will face the full weight of the law.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Hoodlums Stab Police Officer To Death In Ondo

Reassuring residents, CP Jimoh said the Command remained fully in control of the security situation.

The CP stated: “The state is safe and there is no room for criminals or their unlawful activities. The safety and well-being of all residents remain the Command’s top priority.”

Advertisement

The public was urged to support ongoing security efforts, as the police emphasised that “credible and timely information” remained essential to crime prevention and arrests.

Continue Reading

Trending