Connect with us

News

Police Arrest Two Over OAU Student’s Death

Published

on

Two persons said to be members of the Awo Hall Executives have been arrested by the police, following the death of a 500 Level student of the Civil Engineering Department at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, Ahize Okoli.

Okoli was reportedly beaten to death by a mob on suspicion that he stole a mobile phone.

Advertisement

Sources on the campus said the student was accused of stealing a mobile phone in Awo Hall on Monday and after he had been severely beaten, he was moved to the Students Union Building in the early hours of Tuesday where he remained till around noon.

READ ALSO: Final Year OAU Student ‘Beaten To Death For Theft

It was further learnt that because of the beating he received, Okoli’s health deteriorated and he was rushed to the OAU Teaching Hospital, Ile-Ife, where he was confirmed dead Tuesday afternoon.

Advertisement

The Osun State Police Command, while giving an update on the incident on Wednesday, described the two people detained as student leaders.

The command’s spokesperson, Yemisi Opalola, who spoke to journalists, said, “Investigation into the incident will continue and justice would be served. We have arrested two student leaders in connection with the incident.”

READ ALSO: Gov Election: OAU Extends Resumption Date

Advertisement

Also speaking, the university’s Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Olarewaju, said the police should be allowed to investigate the matter, adding that the management of the institution would also carry out its investigation.

Olanrewaju said, “The university will not meddle in such a grievous offence. It bothers on the criminality of murder.

“So, let the police do their job and we will do our own here. We are going ahead with our investigation.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO: OAU Student: Adedoyin, Others Arrive Court

Meanwhile, students in the Faculty of Technology, on Wednesday, blocked roads leading to the school campus in protest against Okoli’s death.

The protesters, who also demanded the arrest of all those involved in the assault on the deceased student, specifically called for the arrest of student security volunteers, who allegedly took custody of the deceased after he had been assaulted in Awo Hall of Residence.

Advertisement

The protesting students, who also ensured that lecture did not hold on campus, as a sign of respect for the deceased student, later removed the barricade and allowed movement into the campus, after the Dean, the Division of Students Affairs, Prof. Olalekan Aransi, had listened to their demands.

Aransi, while addressing the students, pleaded with them to let peace reign, assuring them that the management would address their concerns.

 

Advertisement

News

INEC CVR: CSO Expresses Worry Over Poor Deployment Of Machines, Manpower To LGs In Edo

Published

on

By

By Joseph Ebi Kanjo

Edo Civil Society Organisations (EDOCSO) has expressed worry over the poor deployment of capturing machines and manpower to Igueben Local Government Area of the state by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in the ongoing Ongoing Continuous Voters Registration (CVR).

Advertisement

The Coordinator, EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre, Leftist Enabulele Larry, and Secretary, Leftist Mark Akande expressed the CSO sentiment when the duo visited the INEC headquarters in Igueben where the CBR in the local government is taking place.

In a statement made available to INFO DAILY on Friday, the leadership of EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre condemned the “use of only two capturing devices in a local government with over 69, 396 in population.”

READ ALSO:Things To Know As INEC Begins Physical Voter Registration Monday

Advertisement

The duo noted in the statement that their findings at the INEC headquarters revealed two capturing machines were deployed to each local government across the 18 local government areas of the state.

The civil society members said INEC excuse of deploying two capturing machines to each local government was not germane enough because many do not have a computer or android phone to do the online registration INEC gave as an excuse.

The question here is, what is the percentage of our people mostly the aged individuals, that have access to Android mobile and other internet gadgets in Edo state?

Advertisement

READ ALSO: ADC: Why INEC Has Not Recognised David Mark, Others

“How many people can afford internet data to enable them have access internet services in Edo state under the current excruciating economic pains by the people?

“How many of the Edo people can even manipulate the Android mobile phone to the extent of navigating the internet hurdles to undertake the job is INEC? If INEC is not ready for the job, they should tell Nigerians.

Advertisement

“If citizens are now advised to individually undertake the statutory job of INEC, of what purpose does the commission serve to the people? etc,” they said.

As at when filing this report, INFO DAILY was yet to get a reply from the message sent to the INEC in Edo for reaction.

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday

Published

on

By

The Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has felicated with Governor Monday Okpebholo, on the occasion of his birthday.

In a statement issued on Friday by his Media Officer, Edoko Wilson Edoko, Enabulele Okpebholo as a visionary leader whose dedication to the growth and development of the state has continued to inspire confidence and admiration across all sectors, especially sports.

Advertisement

Enabulele, who highlighted the governor’s unwavering commitment to youth empowerment through sports development, noted that under his leadership, Edo State has witnessed significant strides in grassroots sporting initiatives and infrastructure.

READ ALSO: Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG

His Excellency, Senator Monday Okpebholo, is not just a political leader but a beacon of hope for the younger generation.

Advertisement

“His passion for excellence and inclusive governance is evident in the way he has continued to support policies that uplift our youths and promote sporting excellence,” the statement read.

The Executive Chairman prayed for long life, good health, and continued wisdom for the governor as he steers the affairs of the state towards greater prosperity.

“On behalf of the entire Edo State Sports Commission, I extend our warmest birthday wishes to His Excellency at 55. May this new chapter of his life be filled with more accomplishments and divine grace,” he added.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs

Published

on

By

The Oba of Benin, Ewuare II, has suspended two of his chiefs for falling for dereliction of duties.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Secretary to the Benin Traditional Council (BTC), Frank Irabor and made available to journalists in Benin City.

Advertisement

He said their suspension was as a result of their long absence from the palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their palace responsibilities.

The suspended persons are: Chief John Igiehon, the Izuwako of Benin and chief Aimiukpomonyako Oghogho (Ebengho), the Oyenmwensoba of Benin.

READ ALSO: Oba Of Benin Suspends 67 Dukes

Advertisement

“The under-mentioned two (2) chiefs have been suspended from the Palace of the Oba of Benin.

“This is as a result of their long absence from the Palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their Palace responsibilities.

“The public is advised to be wary of unscrupulous chiefs that are no longer functioning in the Palace. His Royal Majesty has approved their _ Suspension and directed the public be duly informed. 

Advertisement

“The names of the chiefs are: – ; 1. CHIEF JOHN IGIEHON, THE IZUWAKO OF BENIN and, _ 2 CHIEF AIMIUKPOMONYAKO OGHOGHO (EBENGHO), THE OYENMWENSOBA OF BENIN”, the statement said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version