News
Police Bust Ritualist Gang Targeting Uber Drivers In Rivers
Published
1 year agoon
By
Editor
The Rivers State Police Command has apprehended a graduate of Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Port Harcourt, for allegedly luring cab drivers to ritualists.
He will face charges in court, according to the State police command.
Spokesperson of the Command, SP Grace Iringe-Koko, disclosed this in a statement issued in Port Harcourt on Sunday.
Iringe-Koko, said the arrest of the suspect, Anthony Chima, aged 35, a graduate of Political Science from the university followed the sudden disappearance of an Uber driver identified as Oghenevwarhe Akpobome, upon which operatives swung into action.
She stated that after his arrest, the suspect confessed to how he was recruited into a gang that specialized in luring cab drivers into ambushes, stealing their vehicles, and ultimately murdering them for ritualistic purposes and organ harvesting.
READ ALSO: 83-Year-Old Retired Army Officer Arraigned Over Baby Trafficking Charges
The statement read, “In a shocking turn of events, the Rivers State Police have uncovered a disturbing criminal enterprise that has been targeting Uber drivers in the region.
“The investigation was sparked by the disappearance of one such driver, Oghenevwarhe Barry Akpobome, leading to the arrest and confession of 35-year-old Anthony Chima, a political science graduate from the Ignatius Ajuru University of Education.
“According to Chima’s testimony, he was recruited into a gang that specialized in luring cab drivers into ambushes, stealing their vehicles, and ultimately murdering them for ritualistic purposes and organ harvesting.”
Iringe-Koko further said, “Chima revealed that he was brought into the fold by a friend, Amfoh Abu, who introduced him to the gang’s armourer, a man known as “Reason,” and the notorious ringleader, “General Effizy,” a prominent figure in the Greenland cult and a seasoned kidnapper.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Abducted CUSTECH Students Kogi Regain Freedom
“The chilling details of Akpobome’s demise emerged as Chima recounted the events of January 10, 2024. On that fateful day, he was summoned to Reason’s residence and instructed to call a driver whose number he had previously collected. Posing as a passenger, Chima then lured the unsuspecting Uber driver to a remote area in Aminigboko, where he and Reason were met by General Effizy and four armed gang members.
“The driver was forcibly removed from the vehicle and taken to Effizy’s shrine, where he was bound, gagged, and ultimately murdered.”
The statement added, “Chima’s involvement in the gruesome act was confirmed when the police, following his confession, recovered the victim’s skull and a locally fabricated Beretta pistol from Effizy’s residence.
READ ALSO: Billionaire To Pay $1bn To Ex-wife In Divorce Settlement
“This disturbing revelation has sent shockwaves through the community”
To this effect, the State Commissioner of Police, Olatunji Disu, had advised both citizens and Uber drivers to exercise caution when boarding or transporting passengers, especially to remote or potentially dangerous areas.
“The investigation is ongoing, with the authorities still searching for the fleeing suspects involved in this chilling criminal enterprise.
“The case serves as a stark reminder of the dangers that lurk in the shadows and the importance of vigilance and cooperation between law enforcement and the public in maintaining the safety of all citizens. Meanwhile, the suspect would be charged to court immediately,” the state police image maker stated.
You may like
Police Arrest Pastor, Wife Over Staged Self-kidnap In Ondo
Group Fumes As Rivers CJ Inaugurates LG Poll Tribunal
Police Recover Eight Explosives, 8000 Ammunition, Arrest 33 Suspects In Rivers
Police Rescue 16 Kidnap Victims Along Benin-Lagos Road
Suspected Cultists Invade Rivers Compound, Rob Students, Residents
Lagos: Police Arrest Security Guard For Stealing Generators, Others
News
INEC CVR: CSO Expresses Worry Over Poor Deployment Of Machines, Manpower To LGs In Edo
Published
8 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
By Joseph Ebi Kanjo
Edo Civil Society Organisations (EDOCSO) has expressed worry over the poor deployment of capturing machines and manpower to Igueben Local Government Area of the state by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in the ongoing Ongoing Continuous Voters Registration (CVR).
The Coordinator, EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre, Leftist Enabulele Larry, and Secretary, Leftist Mark Akande expressed the CSO sentiment when the duo visited the INEC headquarters in Igueben where the CBR in the local government is taking place.
In a statement made available to INFO DAILY on Friday, the leadership of EDOCSO, Igueben Study Centre condemned the “use of only two capturing devices in a local government with over 69, 396 in population.”
READ ALSO:Things To Know As INEC Begins Physical Voter Registration Monday
The duo noted in the statement that their findings at the INEC headquarters revealed two capturing machines were deployed to each local government across the 18 local government areas of the state.
The civil society members said INEC excuse of deploying two capturing machines to each local government was not germane enough because many do not have a computer or android phone to do the online registration INEC gave as an excuse.
“The question here is, what is the percentage of our people mostly the aged individuals, that have access to Android mobile and other internet gadgets in Edo state?
READ ALSO: ADC: Why INEC Has Not Recognised David Mark, Others
“How many people can afford internet data to enable them have access internet services in Edo state under the current excruciating economic pains by the people?
“How many of the Edo people can even manipulate the Android mobile phone to the extent of navigating the internet hurdles to undertake the job is INEC? If INEC is not ready for the job, they should tell Nigerians.
“If citizens are now advised to individually undertake the statutory job of INEC, of what purpose does the commission serve to the people? etc,” they said.
As at when filing this report, INFO DAILY was yet to get a reply from the message sent to the INEC in Edo for reaction.
News
Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday
Published
13 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
The Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has felicated with Governor Monday Okpebholo, on the occasion of his birthday.
In a statement issued on Friday by his Media Officer, Edoko Wilson Edoko, Enabulele Okpebholo as a visionary leader whose dedication to the growth and development of the state has continued to inspire confidence and admiration across all sectors, especially sports.
Enabulele, who highlighted the governor’s unwavering commitment to youth empowerment through sports development, noted that under his leadership, Edo State has witnessed significant strides in grassroots sporting initiatives and infrastructure.
READ ALSO: Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG
“His Excellency, Senator Monday Okpebholo, is not just a political leader but a beacon of hope for the younger generation.
“His passion for excellence and inclusive governance is evident in the way he has continued to support policies that uplift our youths and promote sporting excellence,” the statement read.
The Executive Chairman prayed for long life, good health, and continued wisdom for the governor as he steers the affairs of the state towards greater prosperity.
“On behalf of the entire Edo State Sports Commission, I extend our warmest birthday wishes to His Excellency at 55. May this new chapter of his life be filled with more accomplishments and divine grace,” he added.

The Oba of Benin, Ewuare II, has suspended two of his chiefs for falling for dereliction of duties.
This was contained in a statement signed by the Secretary to the Benin Traditional Council (BTC), Frank Irabor and made available to journalists in Benin City.
He said their suspension was as a result of their long absence from the palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their palace responsibilities.
The suspended persons are: Chief John Igiehon, the Izuwako of Benin and chief Aimiukpomonyako Oghogho (Ebengho), the Oyenmwensoba of Benin.
READ ALSO: Oba Of Benin Suspends 67 Dukes
“The under-mentioned two (2) chiefs have been suspended from the Palace of the Oba of Benin.
“This is as a result of their long absence from the Palace, resulting in their failure to carry out their Palace responsibilities.
“The public is advised to be wary of unscrupulous chiefs that are no longer functioning in the Palace. His Royal Majesty has approved their _ Suspension and directed the public be duly informed.
“The names of the chiefs are: – ; 1. CHIEF JOHN IGIEHON, THE IZUWAKO OF BENIN and, _ 2 CHIEF AIMIUKPOMONYAKO OGHOGHO (EBENGHO), THE OYENMWENSOBA OF BENIN”, the statement said.
- INEC CVR: CSO Expresses Worry Over Poor Deployment Of Machines, Manpower To LGs In Edo
- Three Killed As Suspected Bandits Ambush Motorists In Kwara
- Suspected Amasiri Warriors Invade Ebonyi Community, Behead Farmer Amid Land Dispute
- DSS Charges Nine Over Benue, Plateau Massacres
- Marafa’s Loyalists Quit APC, Cite Neglect Of Zamfara
- Why I’d Choose Tinubu Over Obi – Adeyanju
- Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday
- Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs
- Lawyers Fault EFCC Statement, Say It’s Misleading
- Tricycle Riders Sentenced To Five Years Over WhatsApp Group Mobilising Protest Against Nigerian Gov
Trending
- Politics4 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- News4 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Headline4 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- Metro5 days ago
UNIZIK Suspends Doctors, Nurses, Security Personnel Over 100-level Student’s Death
- News1 day ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Headline4 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics4 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South
- Politics4 days ago
Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman
- Sports4 days ago
Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]
- Metro5 days ago
Youths Uncover Man Chained By Father For Five Years In Anambra