Connect with us

Metro

Police Rescue Three Abuja Kidnap Victims, Recover Arms

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory Police Command has rescued three kidnap victims and commenced investigation into the Tuesday night security breach occasioned by armed robbery, shootings and abduction of some persons in the Kubwa Relocation Estate, off Arab Road area of the FCT.

The Commissioner of Police, Sunday Babaji, noted that the swift response of men of the command in an aggressive manhunt of the perpetrators, resulted in the rescue of three victims and the recovery of firearms and ammunition, including one AK-47 riffle, 25 rounds of ammunition.

Advertisement

The command’s spokesperson, Josephine Adeh, confirmed the development in a statement acquired by our correspondent Wednesday morning.

Adeh noted that preliminary investigation revealed that at about 7:30 pm on December 6, some armed criminals came into the Kubwa Relocation Estate, shot two victims, one Abel popularly known as Oshodi and another Abdulwahab (both other names unknown).

Adeh said, “The suspects while departing the scene, left with four victims possibly to enable them evade arrest by the approaching police response team deployed to the area on quick intervention.

Advertisement

“The two gunshot victims were immediately rushed to the hospital for medical attention but unfortunately, one of them, Oshodi could not survive as he was confirmed dead by the doctor, while Abdulwahab is still being attended to.”

A female corps member and seven others were abducted Tuesday night, while one was shot dead and another in critical condition resulting from gun wound.

READ ALSO: Two Teenagers In Illegal Sale Of Human Organs, Police Commence Investigation

Advertisement

Two victims also escaped as the armed men fled through the hills.

Meanwhile, the CP called for calm noting that the command had since deployed intelligence and other operational asset possible to fortify security in the entire Kubwa area and its environs.

Babaji assured that investigations had since commenced to identify the suspects and bring them to book to ascertain their mission and motives.

Advertisement

Advertisements

Advertisement
Comments

Metro

Katsina Bandits’ Attack: Death Toll Rises Above 100, As Masari Sends Delegation

Published

on

By

The death toll from the clash between terrorists and the Yansakai Group in Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State has risen above 100, residents say.

This figure comes shortly after Governor Aminu Masari of the State sent a delegation under the leadership of Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Muntari Lawal to condole with families of the victims.

Advertisement

Residents of the affected communities put the number of those killed at over one hundred, stating that more corpses are being recovered from the area as some persons in the communities are still missing.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Kastina Commissioner Assassinated

One of the residents who hails from Guga village, Abubakar Hashimu, told Channels TV that even on Friday, 63 people were buried, and on Saturday, a canter vehicle was also brought loaded with over 30 corpses, “we are still anticipating more bodies”.

Advertisement

According to Hashimu, more than 100 have died so far.

According to sources, the incident happened on Thursday after several cows were rustled on Wednesday by the terrorists.

Many persons have deserted their various communities due to the incidence, even as fears of further violence spreads.

Advertisement

The state’s delegation led by Secretary to the Katsina State Government, Alhaji Muntari Lawal, visited Guga, Yargoje, Gidan Gamji communities on Sunday to condole with the people, describing the situation as highly tragic for not only the victims and their families, but also for the government.

Lawal called on the residents to learn how to defend themselves as such situation can not be singlehandedly treated by the government or security agencies alone.

The actual number of those killed cannot be ascertained because they are still counting the death, nobody can tell you the accurate figure because some of the bodies are scattered in the bush, they have to go and retrieve them.

Advertisement

“As we are counting the number, so also the bandits. So people should learn to be caurageous enough to confront the devil before they finish them.

“Don’t wait for Government, before Government intervenes the damage has been done, so organize yourselves to confront them,” Lawal asserted.

READ ALSO: APC Issues Revised Campaign Timetable

Advertisement

The Katsina State Government had on Friday announced plans to inaugurate a commission of inquiry to investigate the immediate and remote causes of the killings.

This according to the Special Adviser to the governor on Security Matters, Alhaji Ibrahim Ahmad Katsina is to remain proactive in addressing this type of problem that led to some casualties which is he said still being investigated.

Katsina explained that, not all the bodies recovered are members of the volunteer Yansakai group but also belong to the terrorists.

Advertisement

While symphasizing with families of the victims, Katsina urged members of the public to stop taking laws into their hands and ensure that they always cooperate with security agencies in their areas.

He maintained that, the state government was on top of the situation, adding that, normalcy has since returned to the area and security forces have dominated the scene.

 

Advertisement

Advertisements

Continue Reading

Metro

Tragedy For Borno IDPs As Fire Guts 200 Houses

Published

on

By

A late morning fire, Monday, February 6, razed down about 200 houses at the unofficial section of the Muna Internally Displaced Persons’ camp on the outskirts of the Maiduguri metropolis, Borno State.

Eyewitnesses, who could not ascertain the cause of the fire, said it flared up, sweeping across the all-thatched houses by 11am.

Advertisement

The population of the IDPs affected could not also be immediately ascertained, due to the fact that it is an unofficial camp.

“I lost everything comprising all my three rooms, wearing apparels, beds and beddings, and one sack of guinea corn,” Modu Maina, 70, who hails from Bale in Mafa Local Government Area, and has two wives and three children, told The PUNCH.

He estimated the cost of his property lost to the fire to be over N100,000.

Advertisement

“My two rooms, beddings, and all food items were all burnt down,” Gubo Lawan, 60, who has a wife and six children, said. He could not, however, estimate the cost of his losses.

“My three rooms, two sacks of maize and two grinding machines were all lost to the fire,” Modu Malam Aja, 65, who has one wife and eight children, told PUNCH.

READ ALSO: Supreme Court Restores Ahmad Lawan APC Senatorial Candidate

Advertisement

Aja estimated the cost of his property lost to fire at N300,000, including the two grinding machines each of which he said cost N50,000.

The fire, according to eyewitnesses, flared up at about 11am and lasted for about 15 minutes, with the aid of cold season wind.

The National Emergency Management Agency and other emergency responders would not comment on the incident due to the fact that it is an unofficial camp.

Advertisement

Advertisements

Continue Reading

Metro

JUST IN: Tanker Explodes In Ondo

Published

on

By

A tanker discharging fuel at Optimal Petrol station in Ondo State has exploded.

The tanker was razed and the filling station torched.

Advertisement

An eyewitness, Emmanuel Solomon, told newsmen that it was the pressure that exploded and fire erupted.

READ ALSO: Petrol Tanker Loses Control, Bursts Into Flames In Ibadan

Residents around the area panicked and started packing out their belongings.

Advertisement

But the prompt arrival of men of the Federal Fire Service and Ondo State Fire Service helped put out the fire.

It was gathered the owner just purchased the tanker, which was on its first trip to discharge petrol.

Advertisement
Advertisements

Continue Reading

Trending