Connect with us

Metro

Policeman Dies As Gunmen Bomb Checkpoint, One Injured

Published

on

The Anambra State Police Command has launched a manhunt to arrest the suspects who killed and injured two policemen during an attack on a police checkpoint at Omata Junction, Nnewi-Oba Road, in the Idemili South Local Government Area of the state.

It was gathered that the hoodlums invaded the area around 9.20 am on Friday and threw explosive devices at the police operatives at the checkpoint.

Advertisement

The reason for the attack was yet to be ascertained at the time of filing this report.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, confirmed the incident in a statement on Friday.

READ ALSO: Police Begin Probe Into Death Of Hotel Worker In Edo

Ikenga added that the state Commissioner of Police, Nnaghe Itam, had ordered an intensive manhunt for the gunmen who perpetrated the act.

Advertisement

He said, “The Commissioner of Police, Nnaghe Itam, has ordered manhunt operations on gunmen who attacked the police team around 9.20 am on August 9, 2024, at a checkpoint at Omata junction, Nnewi Oba Road.

“The operation, led by Assistant Commissioner in charge of the Nnewi Area Command is already working with the locals in the area to unmask and apprehend the attackers.

“Meanwhile, in the ensuing gun duel by the police operatives, one of the police personnel was fatally hit by an explosive thrown at them by the gunmen and the other that is seriously injured is currently receiving treatment in the hospital. To this end, a police team has taken over the area, further details shall be communicated.”

Advertisement

Metro

35-year-old Man Electrocuted In Ebonyi

Published

on

By

A 35-year-old man identified as Peter Ugochukwu Odom, a native of Oyinkwa village in Amachi Community, was reportedly electrocuted while erecting a pole at Nkwoagu in Abakaliki Local Government Area of the State.

It was gathered that the deceased, who worked with Ibortic Concrete Investment Ltd, was part of a team contracted to install new poles in the area.

Advertisement

It was in the course of mounting the poles that he accidentally touched a live high-tension wire, leading to his instant electrocution.

READ ALSO:UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration

Confirming the incident, the Managing Director of the company, Mr. Peter Ibor Chukwuemeka, who also disclosed that the victim was his younger brother, expressed deep grief over the loss.

Advertisement

According to him, the team had been invited by a customer to deliver and mount a concrete pole near Nkwoagu.

We were called for the job. The customer assured my boys that power had already been disconnected from the high-tension line in the area. Unfortunately, that information was false.

READ ALSO:Lawyer Sues Sanwo-Olu For Blocking Him On X

Advertisement

While attempting to erect the pole, it mistakenly touched the high-tension wire, and my brother got electrocuted instantly,” he explained.

He said that the victim was first rushed to the military clinic within the cantonment before being transferred to the Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital (AE-FUTHA II), where doctors confirmed him dead.

Mr. Chukwuemeka lamented that the deceased, who had worked with him for over three years, was a diligent staff and the breadwinner of his young family.

Advertisement

The victim’s uncle, Mr. Ezeode Samuel, confirmed the incident and described the incident as a great loss to the family, adding that burial arrangements would be decided after consultations.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Police Foil Robbery On Sagamu-Benin Expressway, Recover Stolen Tricycle In Ogun

Published

on

By

Operatives of the Ogun State Police Command have foiled an armed robbery attempt along the Sagamu–Benin Expressway, killing one suspect and rescuing passengers trapped in the attack.

The incident occurred when a Toyota Hiace bus with registration number ENU 371 XJ, driven by one Mba Kingsley Chukwuemeka, was ambushed by a gang of about ten armed robbers at Imere Junction.

Advertisement

Spokesman for the Command said a patrol team led by ASP Ayodele Ajao responded swiftly, engaging the hoodlums in a gun battle. One of the robbers was neutralised while others escaped with gunshot wounds.

READ ALSO:Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra

The rescued passengers and the driver were taken to safety, while the corpse of the deceased suspect was deposited at the Ijebu-Ode General Hospital morgue for autopsy. The Command added that efforts are ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspects.

Advertisement

In a related development, the police recovered a suspected stolen tricycle at Itele during a routine stop-and-search.

The tricycle, with registration number APP 171 OM and chassis number MB6M14PA0N4L10498, was abandoned by its rider, who fled on sighting the operatives. It has since been taken to the station as the investigation continues to trace the rightful owner.

READ ALSO:Police Rescue 16 Kidnap Victims Along Benin-Lagos Road

Advertisement

Also, two suspects, Adebayo Adeleke and Ibrahim Taiwo, were arrested in Idiroko for allegedly stealing a police exhibit. The duo, reportedly caught removing a revolving light from a Hilux vehicle parked at the station, were handed over by one Oyeyemi Omotayo.

Police disclosed that the suspects confessed to the crime during interrogation, while the exhibit was recovered. The case is currently under investigation.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Police Arrest Kidnap Kingpin, Others In Benue

Published

on

By

A combined team of Policemen from Benue and Enugu States have apprehended a suspected kidnapper’s gang leader identified as Yusuf Muhamed, in Orokam, Ogbadibo Local Government Area of Benue State.

According to residents of the area, the suspect and his group had been terrorising some communities in the local government leading the chairman of the local government to impose curfew in the council.

Advertisement

One of the residents, Mike Agbo said that the gang leader and others were apprehended during the week.

Agbo said, “The suspect’s identity was confirmed by three kidnapped victims who revealed that Muhamed was the officer in charge of torture in the kidnappers’ camp.

READ ALSO:Police Arrest ‘One-chance’ Suspects Linked To Killing Of Benue Lady, Grace Alewa In Abuja

Advertisement

His easy identification is a result of his bad left hand.

Confirming the incident to journalists on Saturday in a telephone chat, chairman of Ogbadibo LGA, Sunday Ajunwa said that the kidnapper’s gang leader was arrested by combined teams of policemen and vigilance group in the area.

The chairman said, “It is true that Yusuf has been arrested by the combined team of Police from Makurdi and Enugu as well as the vigilante in the area.

Advertisement

“He attempted to run but the youths pursued and caught him. Those he kidnapped made a confessional statement of how he tortured them in captivity.”

The chairman added that the suspect alongside 21 other suspects was in police custody.

READ ALSO:Police Recruitment: PSC Moves To Stop Hijack Of Exercise By Politicians

Advertisement

Ajunwa who also confirmed that the rampant insecurity in his council made him impose curfew from 6pm to 6am said that the security situation in the area has improved.

The security situation in Orokam is stable though the curfew from 6pm to 6am is still enforced. But I am thinking of lifting it after meeting with security agencies and stakeholders,” the chairman said.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer for the State Command, DSP, Udeme Edet said she was yet to receive the report.

Advertisement

Edet said, “Please what do you want to confirm, I’m yet to confirm it. When I get news of it, it will be related.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Exit mobile version