Connect with us

Health

Polio Immunisation: Over 1m Children Targeted In Bauchi

Published

on

The Executive Secretary of Bauchi State Primary Healthcare Development Agency (BSPHCDA), Dr Rilanamu Mohammmed, Saturday, said over million children are targeted for immunisation against polio in the ongoing campaign across the state.

The Executive Secretary, while briefing the press in Bauchi disclosed that the Agency is tergetting 1.2 million children under five, whle 533 personnel had been engaged and trained to conduct the exercise across the 20 local government areas of the state.

Advertisement

He noted that the personnel were trained on vaccination of immunization drops ,overdose and good presentation to the parents of children.

The Executive Secretary disclosed that the state, for the past 6 years, has not witness any case of wild polio virus (WPV) and the case of rejection was tackle.

Dr Mohammmed commended Federal Government, UNICEF and World Health Organisation for supporting the state in kicking out such deadly diseases in the state.

Advertisement

He said the Agency received enough Oral Polio Vaccines (OPVs) and other logistics for the smooth conduct of the exercise, added that the exercise, which commenced today 7 December, 2019 to end Tuesday and currently going on in the 20 LGAs.

While soliciting for support and cooperation from traditional and religious leaders, as well as other stakeholders for the conduct of the campaign, Dr Mohammmed charged parents to cooperate with immunisation officials by presenting their children for immunisation at designated centres in their respective communities.

The Executive Chairman of the Agency announced that the state would commence Meningitis and measles campaign as well as Maternal child health care week in the State.

Advertisement

He, however, assured that the state government is ready to sustain the campaigns against wide polio virus, meningitis and measles in the state.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Comments

Health

Do Not Share Your Patient’s Photo On Social Media, Doctors Urged

Published

on

By

Dr. Elimian Hilary, a Consultant Plastic Surgeon at Edo State Specialist Hospital, Benin City, has urged doctors not to post pictures of their patients on social media, saying it is unethical in medical profession.

The medical practitioner spoke at the Annual General Meeting/ Scientific Conference (AGM), with the theme: ‘Ethical Issues of Social Media in Healthcare’, organized by the Association of Resident Doctors (ARD) State Hospitals Management Agency, Benin city, Edo State.

Advertisement

He said doctors are not suppose to post and advertise pictures or photos of their patients on the Social Media, adding that if the pictures now go viral it would affect the image and reputation of the patients and that such patient can sue the doctor in court.

While noting that any professional doctor that does that has violated the professional ethics that regulate the profession, Dr Hilary stressed that people may also use the photos to start collecting money on behalf of the patient without the patient knowing.

He said: “If you post your work in the social media, you just violated the contract you had with the patient, because if that picture gets to the friends of that patient, it would be very sad and embarrassing.

Advertisement

“A lot of social media works, conservations and chats that are posted in social media by doctors are not right; it is against the ethics of medical profession in Nigeria.

READ ALSO: Abducted Ondo Monarch Regains Freedom

“If you want to report the health conditions of a patient, it you can be reported in a recognise Journal, not that you will post it in the social media for people to see and read.

Advertisement

In his remarks, the acting President, Association of Resident Doctors, Edo State Hospital Management Agency, Dr Uaboi Ovbiagele, lamented incessant brain drain in medical practice, just as he called on governments to pay doctors well.

“The brain drain of mass exodus of doctors from Nigeria to other nation’s is becoming a phenomenon in the country. Because doctors are looking for greener pastures and you really cannot blame them,” he added.

On use of social media, he noted: “Basically, we feel that our doctors need to know more about the ethics in using social media.”

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Health

Why We Rename Monkeypox – WHO

Published

on

By

The World Health Organisation has said it will start using a new preferred term, ‘mpox’, as a synonym for monkeypox.

The change of name is following a series of consultations with global experts and both names will be used simultaneously for one year while “monkeypox” is phased out, according to the WHO.

Advertisement

In a press statement issued on Monday and made available to The PUNCH, it said when the outbreak of monkeypox expanded earlier this year, racist and stigmatising language online, in other settings, and in some communities was observed and reported to the WHO.

The statement read in part, “In several meetings, public and private, a number of individuals and countries raised concerns and asked the WHO to propose a way forward to change the name.

“Assigning names to new and, very exceptionally, to existing diseases is the responsibility of the WHO under the International Classification of Diseases and the WHO Family of International Health Related Classifications through a consultative process which includes WHO Member States.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: WHOWhy Nigerians Suffer Poor Healthcare – WHO

“The WHO, in accordance with the ICD update process, held consultations to gather views from a range of experts, as well as countries and the general public, who were invited to submit suggestions for new names.”

Based on these consultations, and further discussions with the WHO’s Director-General Dr. Tedros Ghebreyesus, the WHO recommends the adoption of the new synonym mpox in English for the disease and mpox will become a preferred term, replacing monkeypox, after a transition period of one year.

Advertisement

“This serves to mitigate the concerns raised by experts about confusion caused by a name change in the midst of a global outbreak. It also gives time to complete the ICD update process and to update WHO publications.

“The synonym mpox will be included in the ICD-10 online in the coming days. It will be a part of the official 2023 release of ICD-11, which is the current global standard for health data, clinical documentation and statistical aggregation.

“The term “monkeypox” will remain a searchable term in ICD, to match historic information.

Advertisement

“Considerations for the recommendations included rationale, scientific appropriateness, extent of current usage, pronounceability, usability in different languages, absence of geographical or zoological references, and the ease of retrieval of historical scientific information.

“Usually, the ICD updating process can take up to several years. In this case, the process was accelerated, though following the standard steps.

“Various advisory bodies were heard during the consultation process, including experts from the medical and scientific and classification and statistics advisory committees which was constituted of representatives from government authorities of 45 different countries.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: WHO Proffers Solution To Ending Tuberculosis In Nigeria

“The issue of the use of the new name in different languages was extensively discussed. The preferred term mpox can be used in other languages. If additional naming issues arise, these will be addressed via the same mechanism. Translations are usually discussed in formal collaboration with relevant government authorities and the related scientific societies.

“The WHO will adopt the term mpox in its communications, and encourages others to follow these recommendations, to minimise any ongoing negative impact of the current name and from adoption of the new name,” it added.

Advertisement

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Health

Proposed Orthopedic Hospital, Fistula Centre In Edo: More Facts Emerge

Published

on

By

Joseph Kanjo, Benin

Recently, the media was awash with a report of two Specialist Hospitals – a Fistula Centre and an Orthopedic Hospital – proposed to be sited in Edo State by the Federal Ministry of Health. The ‘news’ of the report was not on the two federal health facilities to be sited in the heartbeat state, but the impediments to the establishment of the health facilities in the state.

Advertisement

The Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, as reported by the media, had reportedly said though his ministry was set to commence the health facilities, bureaucratic bottleneck in acquiring land from the Edo State Government was largely responsible for the delay in takeoff of the facilities in the state. Ehanire was reported to have disclosed this when he paid a courtesy visit to the Oba of Benin in his Palace.

But contrary to earlier report, facts have emerged that the Edo State Government, through the State Ministry of Health is fully in sync with the offer by the Federal Ministry of Health on the siting of the two Specialist Hospitals in the state, a closed source to the parties, Mr. Tony Abolo, who is in the know of the whole thing had disclosed to INFO DAILY.

According to the Ace Broadcaster and Veteran Journalist, Fistula Centre to be established at the Daisy Danjuma Health Centre, GRA Benin, and the Orthopedic Hospital to be established inside the premises of the EDO SPECIALIST HOSPITAL, along Sapele Road, Benin City not only has the blessing of the State Government, who instructed the State Commissioner of Health, Professor Obehi Akoria to accompany the visiting Federal Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire to select the best of places most suitable for purpose, but has the promise of a full services support of the State Government.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Bureaucratic Bottleneck In Edo Govt. Delaying FG Projects – Health Minister

He added that the location choices were made under the guided instruction of the State Governor, Godwin Nogheghase Obaseki, and had the team moving about as late in the day, when the Minister visited Edo State in order to show the enthusiasm of the Edo State Government.

According to him, the take off of the projects is expected to commence immediately as against earlier reports, as the sites are now agreed upon but the full commissioning will take place in the New Year.

Advertisement

“Interestingly, as a mark of concern of fulfillment and a duty to Edo State, the Hon. Minister of Health announced that the two projects have been injected into the 2023 budgetary provisions of the Federal Ministry of Health in the new fiscal year. To all intents and purposes, all hurdles surrounding the twin projects will be cleared as the Budget defence takes place soon in Abuja.”

 

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending