Sports
Real Madrid Vs Barcelona: Xavi Confident Of Retaining Super Cup In Sunday’s El Clasico
Published
2 years agoon
By
Editor
Barcelona coach Xavi admitted that “hungry” Real Madrid are in better form but insisted his side can retain the Spanish Super Cup.
The Spanish giants do battle in Sunday’s Clasico final in Saudi Arabia, a repeat of last year’s showdown in which the Catalans excelled to lift the first trophy of Xavi’s reign.
Barcelona went on to win La Liga and although his team trail leaders Madrid by seven points this season, the coach insisted he has a “winning project”.
“We will try to dominate the game, impose our personality, our way of playing and dominate the ball,” Xavi told a news conference in Riyadh on Saturday.
READ ALSO: Top 30 Most Followed Nollywood, Other Figures On TikTok
“We arrive in little less form than Real Madrid, but when the ball is rolling there will be no favourites.”
Record 14-time Super Cup champions Barcelona are third in La Liga and suffered surprise defeats by Shakhtar Donetsk and Royal Antwerp in the Champions League, although they qualified for the knock-out phase top of their group regardless.
Xavi insisted he is calm about the situation after the success Barcelona achieved last season.
“A trophy is at stake, I arrive in a much more comfortable position than last season — we have won, we’ve shown this is a winning project, I’m calmer,” continued Xavi.
READ ALSO: Carabao Cup: Why Middlesbrough Beat Chelsea – Carrick
“Real Madrid are always hungry (and) this is a strong Barca, we’re on a stage which is ideal, it gives me so much motivation and we will give everything.”
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti said defender Dani Carvajal was fit to play despite not training with his team-mates on Friday ahead of the clash against Barcelona.
The coach would not reveal whether Kepa Arrizabalaga or Andriy Lunin would start in goal.
“I don’t want to give away any clues,” explained Ancelotti ahead of Barcelona clash.
READ ALSO: ‘I regretted It, I’m Sorry’ – Ex-Chelsea Defender Apologises To Di Maria
“At the moment I don’t feel like I can pick one to be starter and one to be substitute, and I think both of them understand that.”
Ancelotti has the chance to match Zinedine Zidane as Madrid’s second most successful coach ever with victory in the final to bring him an 11th trophy at the helm of Los Blancos.
Miguel Munoz won 14 as Real Madrid manager between 1960-1974, including nine La Liga titles and two European Cups.
Ancelotti said he was pleased at the chance to level Zidane but he was always looking forward, hunting for more.
“Trophies stay in the cupboard, you look at them now and again, they are memories, but the important thing is the next day,” added the coach.
You may like
Transfer: Man City To Hijack Chelsea’s Move For Xavi Simons
Barcelona Reinstate Ter Stegen As Captain
Real Madrid Secure Gonzalo García With New Contract Until 2030
Guardiola Speaks On Returning To Barcelona
Transfer: Real Madrid Put Three Players Up For Sale
Transfer: Real Madrid Agree To Alonso’s Two Requests
Sports
Chelsea Vs Barcelona, Arsenal Vs Bayern — UEFA Releases Fixture Date, Time
Published
17 hours agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
Chelsea vs Barcelona, Arsenal vs Bayern — UEFA releases fixture date, time
UEFA has officially released the full fixtures, dates, and kick-off times for the 2025/26 Champions League league phase, setting the stage for blockbuster matches involving Europe’s biggest clubs.
The schedule follows the draw held on Thursday, 28 August 2025, which determined the opponents for all 36 participating clubs under the new league-phase format.
According to the schedule, Chelsea will host Barcelona on Tuesday, 25 November 2025, in one of the standout ties of Matchday Five, with kick-off set for 21:00 CET. Arsenal, on the other hand, will face German giants Bayern Munich on the same matchday, also on Wednesday, 26 November 2025, at 21:00 CET.
READ ALSO:Full List: UEFA Fine Chelsea, Barcelona, Three Others For Breaking Financial Rules
In Matchday 1, Bayern Munich will host Chelsea at the Allianz Arena in a repeat of the 2012 Champions League final, where the Blues won 4-3 on penalties. On Wednesday, October 1, 2025, Barcelona will welcome PSG in the standout fixture for MatchDay 2.
Matchday 4 features another high-profile fixture as Paris Saint-Germain host Bayern Munich on Wednesday, 5 November. On the same night, Liverpool renew their fierce rivalry with Real Madrid at Anfield, with kick-off time set for 21:00 CET.
Now in its second year running, the Champions League is being played under UEFA’s new “league phase” format, which replaced the traditional group stage. Instead of eight groups of four, all 36 participating teams are placed in a single league table, each playing eight different opponents, four at home and four away.
The top eight sides qualify automatically for the round of 16, while teams finishing 9th to 24th will contest a play-off round to secure their spot in the knockouts.
READ ALSO:UEFA To Mull Penalty Rule Rethink After Alvarez Controversy
Opening Champions League fixtures (1900 GMT unless stated)
Tuesday, September 16
Athletic Bilbao (ESP) v Arsenal (ENG) (1645 GMT)
PSV Eindhoven (NED) v Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL) (1645 GMT)
Juventus (ITA) v Borussia Dortmund (GER)
Real Madrid (ESP) v Marseille (FRA)
Benfica (POR) v Qarabag (AZE)
Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) v Villarreal (ESP)
Wednesday, September 17
Olympiacos (GRE) v Pafos (CYP) (1645 GMT)
READ ALSO: UEFA Champions League: Bayern Hopeful Kane Fit For Celtic Clash
Slavia Prague (CZE) v Bodo/Glimt (NOR) (1645 GMT)
Ajax (NED) v Inter Milan (ITA)
Bayern Munich (GER) v Chelsea (ENG)
Liverpool (ENG) v Atletico Madrid (ESP)
Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) v Atalanta (ITA)
Thursday, September 18
Club Brugge (BEL) v Monaco (FRA) (1645 GMT)
FC Copenhagen (DEN) v Bayer Leverkusen (GER) (1645 GMT)
Eintracht Frankfurt (GER) v Galatasaray (TUR)
Manchester City (ENG) v Napoli (ITA)
Newcastle United (ENG) v Barcelona (ESP)
Sporting (POR) v Kairat Almaty (KAZ)
Sports
West Ham Reject Chance To Sign Andre Onana On Loan
Published
1 day agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
West Ham United have reportedly turned down the opportunity to sign Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana on loan, according to The Guardian.
The Hammers are in the market for a new goalkeeper after summer signing Mads Hermansen, who joined from Leicester City, has struggled to impress. However, the club made it clear that Onana, who has fallen out of favour at Old Trafford, is not seen as an upgrade on their current options.
The 29-year-old Cameroon international lost his starting spot to Altay Bayindir this season under new United manager Ruben Amorim, and he was offered to West Ham as a potential solution. But the London club rejected the deal.
READ ALSO:AC Milan Scrap Victor Boniface Transfer Over Failed Medical Tests
Onana returned to action in midweek against Grimsby Town in the Carabao Cup but endured another difficult night as United crashed out to the League Two side. He was partly at fault for the Mariners’ second goal after failing to deal with a cross, and United eventually lost 12-11 on penalties after a 2-2 draw.
West Ham, meanwhile, are actively exploring other targets. Talks are reportedly ongoing with Hull City goalkeeper Ivor Pandur, while the club has also revived its interest in Botafogo’s John Victor, having reached an agreement in principle for the Brazilian during the summer.
Manager Graham Potter is under pressure to resolve the club’s goalkeeping issues, with Hermansen conceding eight goals in just two league appearances, including three from set pieces against Chelsea last weekend. Backup option Alphonse Areola also failed to impress in a 3-2 Carabao Cup defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Sports
Sports Commission Boss Commends Team Edo Athletes For Continental Triumph
Published
5 days agoon
August 26, 2025By
Editor
The Executive Chairman of the Edo State Sports Commission, Hon. Amadin Desmond Enabulele, has congratulated Team Edo athletes who represented Nigeria at recent continental championships and returned home with medals.
He spoke when the athlete led by Team Edo Athletics Head Coach, Mr. Mutiu Oluwa, paid a courtesy visit in his office on Monday.
The athletes had competed at the 3rd CAA U18/U20 African Athletics Championships held at the MKO Abiola International Stadium in Abeokuta, Ogun State, and the CAA Region II Senior Athletics Championship in Accra, Ghana.
In a statement issued by his Media Officer, Mr. Edoko Wilson Edoko, Hon. Enabulele praised the athletes’ performances, describing their achievements as a reflection of Governor Monday Okpebholo’s strategic investment in sports development.
READ ALSO:NSF: Team Edo Fully Prepared To Succeed, Sports Commission Boss Declares
“The results we are witnessing today are a testament to Governor Okpebholo’s deliberate and strategic efforts to make Edo Nigeria’s hub for sporting excellence,” Enabulele said.
“The Governor has consistently mandated us to focus on grassroots sports development — we ‘Catch Them Young.’ Today, we are seeing the fruits of that vision.”
At the Abeokuta championships, Edo athletes shone brightly: Audu Emmanuel (Silver, Shotput), Eze Peace (Bronze, Javelin), Akhalu David (Gold, 4×400m Mixed Relay), Salami Oseiwe (Bronze, 400m), Enaruna Anita (Silver, 400m; Gold, 4×100m, 4×400m, 4×400m Mixed, and 400m Mixed), and Oyibu Success (Silver, 100m; Gold, 200m and 4×100m).
READ ALSO:Enabulele Congratulates Bendel Insurance For Pre-Season Tournament Performance
The medal haul continued in Accra, with Treasure Omotsivie winning Gold in High Jump (Women), Anita Enaruna clinching Gold in 200m and 4×400m Relay (Women), Chidera Ezeakor claiming Gold in 100m, 200m, and 4×100m Relay (Men), David Akhalu securing Gold in 4×400m Relay (Men), and Prestina Ochonogor (Paris Olympics finalist) taking Gold in Long Jump (Women).
Enabulele described the athletes as “worthy ambassadors of Edo State” whose discipline, commitment, and patriotism continue to inspire hope for the future of sports in Nigeria.
The athletes had been selected to represent Nigeria in the two major competitions held between July 16–20 in Abeokuta and August 18–19 in Accra, Ghana.
- Anambra Lady, Lover Arrested For Staging Own Kidnap
- 35-year-old Man Electrocuted In Ebonyi
- Police Foil Robbery On Sagamu-Benin Expressway, Recover Stolen Tricycle In Ogun
- Nigerian Man Pleads Guilty In US To $405,000 Romance Scam Against American Women
- UK Bars Over 100 Job Roles From Foreign Recruitment To Curb Migration
- Chelsea Vs Barcelona, Arsenal Vs Bayern — UEFA Releases Fixture Date, Time
- Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef
- PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis
- Wike Gives Update On Rivers Emergency Rule Expires Date
- Police Arrest Kidnap Kingpin, Others In Benue
Trending
- News3 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Politics4 days ago
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
- News3 days ago
Firm Wants Attorney-General Investigate Court Ruling On Breach Of Contract
- News4 days ago
Ondo Bans Graduation Ceremonies In Primary, Junior Secondary Schools
- News4 days ago
US Court Sentences Osun Monarch To Prison Over $4.2m Fraud
- News3 days ago
Access Holdings Names New GMD/CEO
- News3 days ago
BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
- News3 days ago
JUST IN: NLC Defies Edo Assembly Resolution, Inaugurates Factional Caretaker Committee
- News5 days ago
Edo Hospital Denies Complicity In Death Of Twin Babies
- Metro4 days ago
Man Stabs Colleague To Death In Lagos Over Money Dispute