The Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lieutenant General Faruk Yahaya has said that recruitment into the Nigerian Army should not be perceived as employment opportunity, as is the case in other conventional endeavours of life.
He said that unlike other professions, recruitment into the NA is a national call to defend the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Nigeria and therefore requires citizens who are not only physically and medically fit, but also mentally and emotionally stable.
The Army Chief made the observation on Saturday 7 January 2023, shortly before flagging off a10Km endurance run for candidates undergoing screening to qualify for the 84 Regular Recruits Intake into the Nigerian Army (NA) at the Nigerian Army Battle Fitness Centre (NABFC) in Falgore forest, Kano state.
Emphasizing that it is a job opportuniy and call to national service, he said it requires selflessness and if need be, the supreme sacrifice, stressing, it is not an all comers’ affair.
Advising the candidates to take the screening seriously, as only the best will emerge in the final enlistment, Gen Yahaya also admonished personnel conducting the screening exercise to protect their integrity by avoiding any form of compromise.
In his remarks, the Chief of Administration (Army), Maj Gen Wilson Ali, stated that the progressive provision of infrastructure, such as electricity, portable water, upgrade of medical centre, dormitories and lavatories in the centre, enabled a conducive environment to effectively conduct the exercise.
He assured the COAS of a hitch free screening exercise.
The COAS later embarked on a tour of the facility and paid a visit to candidates who were receiving attention at the medical centre.
The COAS was accompanied during the tour by Principal Staff Officers from the Army Headquarters, GOC 1 Division, Commandant Depot NA and Commander 3 Brigade.
78% Of Nigerians Don’t Trust INEC, Says Report
Only 23 per cent of Nigerians say they trust the Independent National Electoral Commission “somewhat” or “a lot,” while more than three-fourths (78 per cent) express “just a little” or no trust at all in the election-management body, a joint report by NOI Polls, Afrobarometer, and CDD Ghana has shown.
The report titled, “Nigerians want competitive elections but don’t trust the electoral commission,” and published on Dispatch No. 598 of Afrobarometer, also revealed that trust in INEC had declined by 12 per cent since 2017.
The Afrobarometer team in Nigeria, led by NOIPolls, said it interviewed a “nationally representative, random, stratified probability sample” of 1,600 adult Nigerians between 5 and 31 March 2022.
According to the research network, a sample of this size “yields country-level results with a margin of error of +/-2.5 percentage points at a 95 per cent confidence level”.
Previous standard surveys were conducted in Nigeria in 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2020 by the organisation.
The PUNCH reports that the INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu, has continuously promised Nigerians that their votes will count at the 2023 polls, assuring them that the season of rigging is over.
“In addition to reservations about election quality, one red flag for Nigeria’s upcoming elections is citizens’ weak trust in the Independent National Electoral Commission,” a part of the report read.
The report headlined by NOIPolls’ Head of Social Research, Raphael Mbaegbu, and Afrobarometer’s Coordinator for Anglophone West and North Africa also showed that trust in INEC had been “fairly weak throughout the past two decades” and had “declined by 12 percentage points since 2017”.
“Popular trust in the INEC is a central issue, and distrust is a major concern, especially in the southern states. The upcoming election is an opportunity for the electoral management body to regain the trust of the electorate by proving itself independent, credible, and competent,” the report added.
Only Africans Can Solve Continent’s Problems – US General
A top United States military officer Chase D. Patrick has stressed that the problems of Africa can only be solved by homegrown solutions.
The Director of Maritime Headquarters at U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa and Sixth Fleet made the remark at a press briefing of the Department of State’s Africa Regional Media Hub.
Rear Admiral Patrick discussed Exercise Obangame Express 2023, one of three African regional exercises facilitated by his formation and sponsored by U.S. Africa Command.
The General responded to a question on how Obangame enables collaborative solutions to the insurgency problems across the coastline of West Africa.
Patrick said U.S. Naval Forces remain committed to being a reliable and long-term partner in Atlantic Africa as security on the waters surrounding the continent was critical to maintaining a safe global environment.
The senior officer confirmed America was aware that the dynamic threat posed by violent extremist organizations do require creative and collaborative solutions.
Patrick commended African nations for taking the lead in pushing maritime security toward the top of their international agenda.
The U.S. Naval Forces, he continued, sees the development of maritime skills and enhanced relationships with African partners as a critical piece to enhancing maritime safety.
Obangame Express provides the opportunity to collaborate and work on combined capabilities to combat maritime challenges, the Rear Admiral explained.
“From boarding procedures to legal jurisdiction and prosecution, we’re working together to become a stronger force.
READ ALSO: APC Supporters Clash At National Secretariat
“We recognize that African problems can only be solved by African solutions, and that is why we’re here, to learn from each other and share ideas to enhance maritime security.”
Patrick added that building good relationships, training and operating together in the form of exercises ultimately builds trust, the foundation of any good relationship.
The General oversees all Africa partnership station exercises in West, North, and East Africa, which includes Obangame, Phoenix, and Cutlass Express.
UK Police Drop Attempted Rape Charge Against Man Utd Star
Charges of attempted rape and assault against Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood have been dropped by prosecutors, British police said on Thursday.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material coming to light were factors in their decision to stop the case against the 21-year-old.
Greater Manchester Police said it was “only fair” that they announce that Greenwood, who was arrested in January last year, would no longer face criminal proceedings “given the significant media coverage of this case”.
The striker originally faced one count of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behaviour and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, all against the same complainant.
READ ALSO: bristWhat Nigeria Election Means Globally – British High Commission
“In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction,” the CPS said in a statement.
“In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.”
Greenwood, who has played 129 times for United, scoring 35 goals, last played for United against West Ham in January last year.
“Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this,” said chief superintendent Michaela Kerr.
“The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.
“Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail.
Greenwood, a product of United’s academy, and once considered one of English football’s brightest prospects, made his senior debut for the Red Devils in a Champions League victory at Paris Saint-Germain in March 2019.
He signed a new contract at United in February 2021 that runs until at least 2025.
The forward made his England debut against Iceland in September 2020, but he and Manchester City midfielder Phil Foden were sent home after breaching the team’s coronavirus guidelines.
Nike suspended and later terminated its sponsorship deal with the player, while Electronic Arts confirmed his removal from active squads on its FIFA 22 game following his arrest.
Cancer May Kill One Nillion Africans Yearly By 2030 – WHO
Condemnation Trails Portable Over ‘Kuku Do Ritual’ Song
Makinde Deploys Free Buses Over Fuel, Naira Crises
Communal Clash Claims Seven, Injures Scores In Delta
BREAKING: COVID-19 Heath Workers Block Hospital Management Board’s Entrance, Demand Payment Of Allowances In Edo
Edo Guber: ‘Oshiomhole’s Triumphant Entry Has Left You In Trauma, Demoralised,’ APC Mocks PDP
Headline6 days ago
UK Lists Priority Subjects For Immigrating Teachers
Business6 days ago
BREAKING: CBN Extends Old Naira Deadline
Metro1 week ago
Edo: How Law Graduate, Others Lure Victims, Kill, Sell Their Vehicles To Chinese Companies
Politics1 week ago
JUST IN: Another Guber Candidate Dies One Month To Elections
Entertainment1 week ago
BBTitans: Shock As Two Unexpected Housemates Engage In Sex
Metro7 days ago
DPO Slumps, Dies
News1 week ago
2023 Election: Foreign Hackers Attacking Our Database, INEC Chairman Cries Out
Politics1 week ago
Osun Guber: Adeleke Reacts After Losing To Oyetola At Tribunal