Connect with us

News

Resident Doctors Suspend Strike, Issue Fresh Four-week Ultimatum

Published

on

The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has suspended its indefinite strike, which began on November 1 and lasted 29 days.

NARD’s National President, Dr. Mohammad Suleiman, announced the suspension on Saturday through his X account @mohagirei, following an extraordinary meeting of the National Executive Council (NEC) of the association.

Suleiman stated that the decision came after “a series of conciliatory meetings” with the Federal Government.

Advertisement

These discussions led to the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that addressed the association’s 19-point demands.

Among the unresolved issues was the payment of promotion arrears. Suleiman noted that the compilation of these arrears by Chief Medical Directors and Managing Directors had not yet been completed, although a four-week deadline was set for payment.

READ ALSO:Doctors’ Strike Continues As NARD Demands Fair Deal, Better Pay

Advertisement

Additionally, he mentioned that salary arrears are expected to be cleared within the same four-week period, in accordance with the agreement reached.

Regarding the specialist allowance, Suleiman indicated that the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation (OHCSF) has already issued a clear directive.

Furthermore, he mentioned that the National Salaries, Incomes, and Wages Commission is expected to take the necessary steps to implement it.

Advertisement

The NARD leader also noted that the committee report on the “Lokoja Five”—resident doctors disengaged from the Federal Teaching Hospital, Lokoja—recommended their reabsorption.

Suleiman said this was expected to be fully implemented within two weeks.

READ ALSO:Resident Doctors Declare Nationwide Strike

Advertisement

He said the MoU further stated that NARD and the Federal Government were finalising processes for addressing failed or omitted payments relating to the 25/35 per cent review and accoutrement allowance.

He said lists of residents due for upgrade were still being awaited from centre leaders to allow completion of the upgrade process, adding that the Post-Assessment Tool (PAT) had been released.

Suleiman stated that the issue of skipping and entry level placement had been resolved following a directive from the OHCSF, while all outstanding matters relating to house officers had also been settled.

Advertisement

He added that an interim directive had been issued to CMDs and MDs to stop what the association described as “obnoxious clauses” in locum engagements.

According to him, an advisory had been sent to health facility heads to limit excessive call duties and ensure adequate breaks for doctors.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Resident Doctors In Abuja Suspend Indefinite Strike

Advertisement

He said committees set up to review the locum policy and regulate work hours were expected to produce comprehensive policy documents within two months.

Suleiman added that the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) process would continue as soon as possible, while the discussion on consultant cadre for other health professionals would form part of that engagement.

He added the special pensions committee was also expected to resume its sittings.

Advertisement

Suleiman said the NEC resolved to suspend the strike for four weeks “to allow room and show this uncommon gesture while we follow up implementation.

“Progress has been made, significantly, and this is simply because of the efforts and convictions of NARDites across the country.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: Resident Doctors Begin Five-day Warning Strike Today

Advertisement

“Mistakes have also been made. Kindly rest those mistakes solely on my shoulders as president.”

He added that the next phase would involve sustained engagement with Nigerians and the Federal Government during the four-week window.

“Failure to ensure the full implementation of the above A, B, C, D, will mean the lifting of the suspension on the strike action by NEC and the resumption of the strike.

Advertisement

“The countdown for the four weeks shall start on Monday and shall be a daily reminder to Nigerians and the Federal Government to adequately use this ‘four weeks window’ justly and fully,” he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Nov. 1 strike—NARD’s latest in a series of industrial actions—was embarked on over unpaid arrears, stalled promotions, allowances, staffing gaps and other welfare-related grievances.

Advertisement

News

SERAP Drags Akpabio, Tajudeen To Court Over Alleged Missing N18.6bn NASS Complex Project Funds

Published

on

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has filed a lawsuit against the Senate President, Mr. Godswill Akpabio, and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr. Tajudeen Abbas, regarding their failure to account for the missing N18.6 billion, which was allocated for the construction of the National Assembly Service Commission (NASC) Office Complex.

Mr. Akpabio and Mr. Abbas are being sued in their individual capacities and on behalf of all members of the National Assembly. The National Assembly Service Commission has also been named as a respondent in the suit.

SERAP’s lawsuit arises from serious allegations outlined in the latest 2022 annual report published by the Auditor-General of the Federation on September 9, 2025.

Advertisement

In the suit number: FHC/ABJ/CS/2457/2025 filed last week at the Federal High Court, Abuja, SERAP is seeking: “an order of mandamus to direct and compel Mr Akpabio, Mr Abbas and the NASC to account for the whereabouts of ₦18.6bn meant for the construction of the National Assembly Service Commission Office Complex.”

SERAP is seeking: “an order of mandamus to direct and compel Mr Akpabio, Mr Abbas and the NASC to disclose the name of the alleged ‘fictitious construction company’ that collected N18.6 billion for the construction of the National Assembly Commission Office Complex.”

SERAP is also seeking: “an order of mandamus to direct and compel Mr Akpabio, Mr Abbas and the NASC to provide the assessment reports, bid advertisements, bid quotations and construction contract, minutes of Tender Board’s meetings and the Federal Executive Council (FEC) Approval for the complex project.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO:SERAP Challenges Tinubu, Shettima, Govs, Ministers, NASS Members, Others To Publish Their Assets

In the suit, SERAP is arguing that, “The allegations that ₦18.6 billion meant for the construction of the National Assembly Service Commission Office Complex is misappropriated or diverted are a grave violation of the public trust, the Nigerian Constitution 1999 [as amended], and international anticorruption standards.”

SERAP is also arguing that, “Nigerians have the right to know the whereabouts of the ₦18.6 billion and details of the contractors that collected the money. Granting the reliefs sought would serve legitimate public interests.”

Advertisement

According to SERAP, “Directing and compelling Mr Akpabio, Mr Abbas and the NASC to account for and explain the whereabouts of the ₦18.6 billion and details of the contractors that collected the money would build trust in democratic institutions and strengthen the rule of law.”

The suit filed on behalf of SERAP by its lawyers, Kolawole Oluwadare, Kehinde Oyewumi, and Andrew Nwankwo, read in part: “the National Assembly ought to live up to its constitutional responsibilities by upholding and defending the basic principles of transparency, accountability and the rule of law.”

Granting the reliefs sought would also improve public confidence and trust in the ability of the National Assembly to exercise their constitutional and oversight responsibilities, and to adhere to the highest standards of integrity, transparency and accountability in the management of public funds.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO:‘Bribe-for-Bills’ Scandal: SERAP Drags Akpabio, Abbas To Court For Failure To Probe

According to the recently published 2022 audited report by the Auditor General of the Federation, the National Assembly Service Commission paid over N11.6 billion [N11,647,302,594,00] to ‘an unknown construction company’ for ‘the construction the Commission’s Complex within 24 months.”

“The payment was reportedly made on 11 August 2020. But ‘the contract was inflated by over N6.9 billion [N6,930,000.000.00]’ and the money was reportedly paid to the construction company on 29 November 2023’ ‘for the conversion of the roof garden to office space.’”

Advertisement

“The contract was reportedly awarded without a Bill of Quantity (BOQ) for the upward of the contract, and the ‘BOQ for the contract of N11.6 billion was not priced.’”

“Both contracts were reportedly awarded without any needs assessment, newspaper advertisements, bidding process, contract agreement, bidders’ quotations and without any approval by the Federal Executive Council (FEC). There was also no ‘Bureau of Public Procurement’s Certificate of ‘No Objection’.’”

“The Auditor-General fears the N18.6 billion of public funds budgeted for ‘the construction of the Commission’s Office Complex and the conversion of the roof garden to office space’ may have been diverted, misappropriated or stolen. He wants the money accounted for.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO:SERAP Drags RMAFC To Court Over Proposed Salary Hike For Political Office Holders

“These grave violations reflect the continuing failure of the National Assembly and its commission to uphold the principles of transparency and accountability.”

“Granting the reliefs sought would ensure that those suspected to be responsible for the diversion and misappropriation of the N18.6 billion are brought to justice and facilitate the recovery of any proceeds of corruption.”

Advertisement

“Poor and vulnerable Nigerians continue to bear the heavy economic and social costs of corruption. Corruption exposes them to additional costs to pay for health, education and administrative services.”

“Corruption traps the majority of Nigerians in poverty and deprives them of opportunities. The National Assembly therefore has a responsibility to curb it.”

“Allegations of corruption continue to undermine economic development, violate social justice, and destroy trust in economic, social, and political institutions, as well as lead to deficient public services.”

Advertisement

“Section 15(5) of the Nigerian Constitution requires public institutions including the National Assembly and its commission to abolish all corrupt practices and abuse of power.”

READ ALSO:SERAP, NGE Drag Niger Gov, NBC To Court Over Radio Station Closure Threat

“Section 13 of the Nigerian Constitution imposes clear responsibility on the National Assembly and its commission to conform to, observe and apply the provisions of Chapter 2 of the constitution.”

Advertisement

“Under Section 16(1)(a)(b), the National Assembly and its commission have the obligations to ‘harness the resources of the nation and promote national prosperity and an efficient, a dynamic and self-reliant economy’, and to ‘secure the maximum welfare, freedom and happiness of every citizen.’”

Section 16(2) further provides that, ‘the material resources of the nation are harnessed and distributed as best as possible to serve the common good.’”

“Nigeria has made legally binding commitments under the UN Convention against Corruption to ensure accountability in the management of public resources.”

Advertisement

“Articles 5 and 9 of the UN Convention against Corruption also impose legal obligations on the National Assembly to ensure proper management of public affairs and public funds. These commitments ought to be fully upheld and respected.”

No date has been fixed for the hearing of the suit.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

VIDEO: Like Niger Delta Militants, Consider Amnesty To Bandits — ACF Chair Tells FG

Published

on

ACF Chairman, Alhaji Bashir Dalhatu

The Chairman of the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), Alhaji Bashir Dalhatu, has urged President Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led federal government to examine the possibility of granting amnesty to bandits.

Dalhatu, who spoke during an interview on Arise TV recently, said many of the bandits in the North lacked access to education and basic opportunities, and suggested that a structured rehabilitation process could complement security measures.

He said a similar amnesty programme was implemented for Niger Delta militants during a chaotic period in the region, adding that it helped reintegrate former agitators through education and support.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:FG To Unveil Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport January

Dalhatu, however, stressed that any offer of friendship from the government must be paired with clear consequences for criminal activities and appropriate punishment for offenders.

He said, “I remember very well when there was amnesty programme in the Niger Delta. During those chaotic times, it worked perfectly.

Advertisement

“They were given amnesty, they were sent to school, they came back and became integrated in the system, and they are useful products and citizens of Nigeria.

READ ALSO:FG Threatens To Seize Dana Air Assets

“That also aspect can be looked at in terms of the North. Most of these bandits have not had the opportunity to go to school, have not had the opportunity to actually enjoy what we ordinarily do in the cities, and it is just for government to probably, while extending hand of friendship, make it clear that what they are doing is illegal and criminal, and those that are caught in the process are punished appropriately.”

Advertisement

He reiterated the forum’s stance that the killing of any individual, regardless of religion, is against Islamic principles and the values upheld by the ACF, noting that the organisation consistently condemns violent attacks, including the recent abduction at a Catholic school.

Dalhatu linked the region’s persistent insecurity to internal challenges such as its high population and the millions of out-of-school children, adding that earlier intervention could have prevented the crisis from worsening.

Watch video here

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading

News

N200b Agric Credit Dispute: Appeal Court Slams NAIC, Upholds First Bank Victory

Published

on

The Court of Appeal, Abuja, has dismissed the appeal filed by the Nigerian Agricultural Insurance Corporation (NAIC) against First Bank of Nigeria in the long-running dispute over the disbursement of the Federal Government’s N200 billion Commercial Agriculture Credit Scheme.

The decision was one of seven precedent-setting judgments delivered in six hours on Friday by Justice Okon Abang, underscoring his reputation as a hardworking, firm, and uncompromisingly principled jurist whose rulings continue to shape Nigeria’s legal landscape across criminal, human rights, banking, and civil litigation.

In 2013, the NAIC dragged First Bank before the Federal High Court via originating summons, alleging that the bank failed to deduct the mandatory 2.5 per cent premium under the agriculture credit scheme. First Bank promptly filed a counter-affidavit and written address, with both sides joining issues and exchanging further processes over the years.

Advertisement

But when the case was ripe for hearing, NAIC sought to suddenly withdraw its suit—claiming an unnamed Bankers’ Committee representative had approached it for an out-of-court settlement.

READ ALSO:Court Dismisses SPDC’s Objections To Compensation Over Hydrocarbon Pollution In A’Ibom

First Bank objected, insisting that once pleadings had been exchanged, withdrawal without consent should lead to dismissal, not a mere striking out. To strike out, the bank argued, would allow NAIC a second bite at the cherry—an abuse of process.

Advertisement

The Federal High Court agreed and dismissed the suit, prompting NAIC to head to the Court of Appeal.

Delivering the unanimous judgment of the Court of Appeal, Justice Abang held that NAIC’s appeal was “grossly misconceived” and that, having seen the bank’s defence, NAIC attempted to retreat and re-strategise, “only being smart, believing that it could cunningly manipulate judicial proceedings to save a suit that appears weak and manifestly unsupported.”

He stressed that, once a defendant’s counter-affidavit has been served, any withdrawal by the claimant must naturally lead to dismissal, not striking out, to avoid overreaching the respondent.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:N6trn: Court Orders Tinubu To Publish NDDC Audit Report, Name Indicted Officials

Justice Abang agreed with the trial court that, “Since issues have been joined and the matter has previously been adjourned on several occasions, the proper order to make on the application of the plaintiff is to dismiss the suit.”

The Court of Appeal also questioned NAIC’s reliance on an alleged intervention by the Bankers’ Committee—a non-party that had earlier resisted being joined in the matter.

Advertisement

The appellate court concluded that NAIC, having sighted the bank’s counter-affidavit, simply lost confidence in its case and sought a “soft landing” to refile later.

READ ALSO:

This cannot be allowed under our watch. The appellant cannot command the impossible,” Justice Abang held, agreeing with the decision of the Federal High Court and dismissing NAIC’s appeal in its entirety, affirming the lower court’s ruling and awarding N1 million costs in favour of First Bank.

Advertisement

The judgment revisits the implementation of the N200 billion Commercial Agriculture Credit Scheme (CACS) launched in 2009 and funded through a DMO-issued bond. The scheme was a flagship intervention of the CBN to boost agricultural productivity through low-interest financing capped at nine per cent.

(GUARDIAN)

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending