Connect with us

Headline

Six Russian Nationals With ISIS Ties Arrested In US

Published

on

Six Russian nationals with potential ties to ISIS have reportedly been arrested in New York, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles in a coordinated sting by law enforcement.

Two ICE officials have told the New York Post they arrested the suspected terrorist affiliates last week after the FBI raised the alarm.

The suspects are originally from Tajikistan, and they also have Russian citizenship, according to the Post

Advertisement

Anonymous ICE officials told the newspaper a wiretap revealed one of the suspects talking about bombs.

‘Remember the Boston marathon [bombing]? I’m afraid something like that might happen again or worse,’ one official told The Post.

READ ALSO: Russian Embassy Denies Forcing Nigerian Students To Fight In Ukraine

The suspect in question has been involved with law enforcement before and had a court date next year, according to the source.

Advertisement

It comes as top law enforcement officials warned the threat of a terrorist attack in the US has risen ‘enormously’ over the past few months.

Attorney General, Merrick Garland made the astonishing admission while testifying before the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday last week during a hearing dedicated to investigating the department’s politicization.

‘I am worried about the possibility of a terrorist attack in the country after October 7,’ Attorney General Garland said. ‘The threat level for us has gone up enormously.’

‘Every morning, we worry about this question. We try to track anyone who might be trying to hurt the country,’ he continued. ‘Of course, this is a major priority for the Justice Department.’

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Russian President, Vladimir Putin Now Wears ‘Bulletproof Vests’ Amid Assassination Fears

FBI Director Christopher Wray, also said ‘we have seen the threat from foreign terrorists rise to a whole other level’ after the October 7 Hamas terrorist attack.

‘We have seen a rouges’ gallery of foreign terrorist organizations call for attacks against Americans and our allies,’ Wray said.

‘Just in the time I have been FBI director we have disrupted multiple terror attacks around U.S. cities.’

Advertisement

‘I would be hard-pressed to think of a time when so many different threats to our public safety and national security were so elevated all at the same time.’

READ ALSO: Moment Deer Leaps, Crashes Through Windscreen Of Moving Bus, Leaving Passengers Injured VIDEO]

Wray said threats against Jewish Americans has been particularly acute.

‘We’ve seen an elevated threat to the Jewish community in the United States.’

Advertisement

Though he said Jewish communities were targeted before the October 7 attack, since then the threats ‘went up dramatically.’

‘Religiously motivated hate crimes, close to 60 percent of them, are targeted at the Jewish community,’ Wray testified, noting how the community only makes up two percent of the U.S. population.

‘Increasingly concerning is the potential for a coordinated attack here in the homeland, not unlike an attack we saw in the Russia theater,’ he added, referring to the Crocus City Hall concert shooting in March.

 

Advertisement

 

Headline

Three Nigerians sentenced To 235 Years In US Prison

Published

on

A court in Mississippi, United States of America has sentenced three Nigerians to 235 years in prison.

The jury found all the three personguilty of mail fraud, wire fraud, identity theft, credit card fraud and theft of government property.

Oladimeji Seun Ayelotan, 30, was sentenced to 95 years in prison, while Rasaq Aderoju Raheem, 31, got 115 years jail term.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Applicants Decry N640,000 UAE Visa Fee Hike

Also, Femi Alexander Mewase, 45, received 25 years in jail.

They were convicted for running online scams.

They were said to have duped people of tens of millions of dollars.

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading

Headline

Deadly Blaze Kills Even In France

Published

on

An apartment building blaze early Thursday killed seven people in the southern French city of Nice and police were investigating the fire as a possible arson, authorities said.

The dead include three children – 5, 7 and 10 years old – and a 17-year-old teenager who tried to escape by jumping from a window, they said.

The apartment was occupied by a family believed to have Comoran origins, the regional prefect Hugues Moutouh said, referring to the southern African island nature.

Advertisement

Ten people were inside when the fire broke out.

Rescuers were alerted at around 2:30 am (0030 GMT) to the blaze on the seventh floor of the building in the low-income neighbourhood of Les Moulins, known for being a drug-dealing hub, in the west of the city.

READ ALSO: 100-year-old WWII Veteran Returns To Normandy Beach In France To Marry 96-year-old Bride[PHOTOS]

In spite of the substantial resources deployed, “unfortunately seven people died during this fire”, firefighters said.

Advertisement

Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said on social media that the quick arrival of firefighters “probably prevented more deaths”.

Nice prosecutor Damien Martinelli said investigators were looking into a “criminal” cause for the fire.

“In light of the initial evidence, I have opened an investigation into acts of arson leading to death,” he told reporters at the scene.

The authorities said the blaze probably broke out on the building’s second floor and spread to higher floors.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Seven Sentenced To Life Imprisonment In S’Africa For B*rning Two Sisters To D@ath Over Alleged Witchcraft

Rescuers said that three people were taken to hospital, one of them with life-threatening injuries.

They said firefighters were confronted by a “raging apartment fire” on the seventh floor of the building. They carried out three aerial ladder rescues and evacuated dozens.

In total, 25 fire engines and 72 firefighters tackled the fire.

Advertisement

Twenty people were evacuated to a temporary shelter, with Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi saying a crisis unit to help anyone affected by the fire.

Continue Reading

Headline

Biden Speaks Of Quitting Presidential Race If…

Published

on

US President Joe Biden said he could drop his reelection bid if doctors found he had a medical condition, as a top Democrat on Wednesday urged the 81-year-old to step aside.

Biden’s comments were the first time he has even slightly opened the door to abandoning the White House race, and came as Representative Adam Schiff, a key ally from California, urged Biden to “pass the torch.”

“If I had some medical condition that emerged, if somebody, if the doctors came and said ‘you’ve got this problem, that problem,’” Biden told the Black media outlet BET in an interview taped Tuesday, when asked what could make him rethink.

Advertisement

Biden however defended his decision to stay on for a rematch with Republican Donald Trump in November, and explained why he had not handed over to a younger generation after one term.

READ ALSO: Biden Falters In Fiery Debate With Trump

“I said I was going to be a transitional candidate, and I thought I’d be able to move on from this, pass it on to someone else,” he said. “But I didn’t anticipate things getting so, so, so divided.”

Biden has been fighting for political survival since a disastrous debate against Trump nearly three weeks ago, in which his tired and confused appearance sparked concerns about his age.

Advertisement

Schiff became the first Democrat to call for him to step aside since the assassination attempt against Trump on Saturday, which had briefly silenced the growing chorus against Biden.

READ ALSO: Russian Oil Depot Gutted By Fire After Ukrainian Drone Attack

A second Trump presidency will undermine the very foundation of our democracy, and I have serious concerns about whether the President can defeat Donald Trump in November,” Schiff said in a statement to the Los Angeles Times.

Schiff, who is expected to win a Senate seat this November, is a key White House ally in the legislature and shot to nationwide prominence as lead prosecutor during then-president Trump’s first impeachment trial.

Advertisement

Biden was set to make a fresh attempt to prop up his candidacy in a speech to crucial Latino voters in the battleground state of Nevada later Wednesday.

– ‘Pretty damn good’ –

Around 20 House Democrats and one senator have now called on Biden to leave the White House race but Biden has refused, insisting he is best placed to beat Trump.

READ ALSO: Ex-Rep Rejects Membership Of Edo APC Gov Campaign Council

Advertisement

Biden, Trump agree to election debates in June, September
Most polls show Biden trailing in a tight race, with Trump pulling ahead in key swing states but no dramatic movement since the debate debacle or shooting.

Biden said his mental acuity was “pretty damn good” in an NBC interview on Monday, one of a series of unscripted outings aimed at showing he has what it takes.

With pressure on Biden mounting, Democrats said on Wednesday they plan a virtual nomination for the president in the first week of August, ahead of the Democratic National Convention (DNC) on August 19.

Some Democrats have slammed the scheme, accusing the party of trying to ram through Biden’s candidacy and avoid a full discussion of alternative choices.

Advertisement

Party chiefs say they need to carry out the virtual roll-call by August 7, which is the deadline set by the Republican-led state of Ohio for the submission of nominations.

Biden otherwise risks not being on the ballot in Ohio, the home state of Trump’s new running mate J.D. Vance.

READ ALSO: VIDEO: Rema Performs ‘Calm Down’ At Indian Billionaire Ambani’s Son Wedding

While Ohio’s governor has signed a law giving Biden more time, the DNC said it feared further legal challenges.

Advertisement

“None of this will be rushed,” the heads of the DNC’s rules committee said in a letter to lawmakers obtained by AFP. “No matter what may be reported, our goal is not to fast-track.”

But several lawmakers are planning to sign a letter against the virtual nomination plan and others have criticized it, according to US media.

Biden insists that Democratic voters support him, but a poll by the Associated Press and NORC Center for Public Affairs Research said Wednesday that nearly two-thirds want him to step aside.

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending