Connect with us

Business

Snake Island To Attract $1bn Private Investment – Official

Published

on

The Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Nigerdock, Maher Jarmakani, has said that the new 45-year concession agreement for Snake Island Port with the Federal Government will attract about $1bn in private investment.

He also said that it will allow for expanded operational scope.
Jamarkani said this in a statement over the weekend.

He also said that the Nigerdock and Snake Island Integrated Free Zone has received approval from the Federal Government for the commencement and expansion of Snake Island Port.

Advertisement

Jamarkani added that the approval was an oversight of the implementation of major infrastructure projects across the country.

READ ALSO: IMF Rates eNaira Performance Low

“This new 45-year concession agreement for Snake Island Port with the Federal Government now allows for an expanded operational scope and will attract about $1bn in private investment.”

Advertisement

Jarmakani expressed happiness to the Federal Government for the development.

We are immensely grateful for the support the Federal Government has shown to enable the expansion of our operations, which increases our value add to Nigeria’s economy and the actualisation of our long-term vision as a globally recognised maritime operator.

“This Public Private Partnership with the Government will also facilitate job creation and develop critical infrastructure vital for the nation’s growth.”

Advertisement

The statement also said that Nigerdock is a multipurpose port facility sitting on 85-hectare, comprising three terminals located within SIIFZ.

READ ALSO: 13 AAU Staff Sacked For Alleged Fraud, Sexual Harassment

According to him, “In addition to its operations in ship repair, logistics, and free zone solutions, Nigerdock had already been in terminal operations following approval from the Nigerian Ports Authority and Nigeria Customs Service.”

Advertisement

He said that Nigerdock was originally awarded free zone and port Status by the Presidency in 2005, leading to the establishment of Snake Island Integrated Free Zone in the same year.

The NPA and Nigeria Customs Service also approved direct shipping for the facility in 2017, with the NPA green-lighting cargo handling operations in 2021.”

Advertisement

Business

CBN Directs Nigerian Banks To Withdraw Misleading Advertisement

Published

on

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has directed Nigerian banks, payment service banks and other financial institutions to immediately withdraw all advertisements that violate consumer-protection rules.

The directive, issued in a circular dated Thursday and signed by Olubunmi Ayodele-Oni, director of the CBN’s compliance department, followed a review of marketing practices in the financial sector.

The apex bank said the assessment revealed inconsistencies in how institutions apply disclosure, transparency and fair-marketing requirements.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:CBN Retains Interest Rate At 27%

The CBN ordered the removal of all non-compliant adverts and warned that future promotional materials must be factual, balanced and transparent.

It banned misleading claims, exaggerated benefits, incomplete information, unaudited financial results and comparative language that could de-market competitors.
The regulator of Nigeria’s financial sector also prohibited chance-based promotional inducements such as lotteries, prize draws and lucky dips.

Advertisement

Accordingly, institutions submitting adverts for prior notification must now include campaign timelines, creative materials, target audience details and written confirmation of internal legal and compliance clearance, along with proof that the underlying product has CBN approval.

READ ALSO:JUST IN: EFCC Summons Ex-AGF Malami For Questioning

The bank clarified that such notifications are only for monitoring and do not amount to approval.
All affected institutions must file a compliance attestation within 30 days, signed by the chief executive and compliance leads.

Advertisement

The CBN added that beginning January 2026, it will conduct a follow-up review and apply sanctions for violations under BOFIA 2020 and the Consumer Protection Regulations.

Continue Reading

Business

Fourteen Nigerian Banks Yet To Meet CBN’s Recapitalisation Ahead Of Deadline

Published

on

No fewer than 14 Nigerian commercial banks are yet to meet the Central Bank of Nigeria’s recapitalisation requirement as the 31st March 2026 deadline inches closer.

This follows CBN Governor, Olayemi Cardoso’s announcement on Tuesday that sixteen Nigerian banks have met their recapitalisation requirement ahead of the apex bank’s March 2026 deadline.

DAILY POST reports that Cardoso disclosed this in a statement after the bank’s 303rd Monetary Policy Committee in Abuja.

Advertisement

According to Cardoso, the development indicates that there is financial soundness in the country’s financial banking system.

READ ALSO:CBN Retains Interest Rate At 27%

MPC had been urged by banks to ensure a successful implementation of the recapitalisation process.

Advertisement

“The committee noted with satisfaction the sustained resilience of the banking system, with most financial soundness indicators remaining within regulatory thresholds,” Cardoso said.

Acknowledged the substantial progress in the ongoing recapitalisation programme, with 16 banks achieving full compliance with the revised capital requirements.

“The committee thus urged the Bank to ensure a successful implementation and conclusion of the programme, among other domestic developments,” Cardoso said.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Account For N3tn Or Face Legal Action, SERAP Tells CBN

This means that two additional Nigerian banks have been added to the list of banks which have complied with the apex bank recapitalisation requirement in the last two months.

Recall that Cardoso, in the 302nd MPC meeting, announced that only fourteen banks have met the recapitalisation requirement.

Advertisement

CBN records as of 2024 showed that the country has thirteen commercial banks, five merchant banks and seven financial holdings companies.

Earlier, a report emerged that Access Bank, Zenith Bank, GTBank, Wema Bank, Jaiz Bank, Stanbic IBTC, and others have already met CBN’s recapitalisation requirement.

CBN in March directed commercial banks with international authorisation to increase their capital base to N500 billion, while those with national licences must raise to N200 billion.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Business

CBN Retains Interest Rate At 27%

Published

on

The Monetary Policy Committee of the Central Bank of Nigeria has voted to retain the benchmark interest rate at 27 per cent.

CBN Governor, Olayemi Cardoso, announced the decision on Tuesday following the apex bank’s 303rd MPC meeting in Abuja.

Cardoso stated that the committee also resolved to keep all other monetary policy indicators unchanged.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:CBN Issues Directive Clarifying Holding Companies’ Minimum Capital

He noted that the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) remains at 45 per cent for commercial banks and 16 per cent for merchant banks, while the 75 per cent CRR on non-TSA public sector deposits was equally maintained.

Cardoso added that the Liquidity Ratio was retained at 30 per cent, and the Standing Facilities Corridor was adjusted to +50/-450 basis points around the Monetary Policy Rate.

Advertisement

The decision comes as Nigeria records its seventh consecutive month of declining inflation, which eased to 16.05 per cent in September 2025.

Continue Reading

Trending