Suspect Behind Buhari’s Fake Wedding Arrested
The Department of State Service (DSS), has arrested and paraded a 32-year old man, Kabiru Mohammed, suspected to be behind the fabrication and dissemination of a fake wedding video depicting President Muhammadu Buhari wedding the Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed and her Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development counterpart, Sadiya Farouq.
DSS Public Relations Officer, Peter Afunanya, who paraded the suspect, said that an investigation was launched, following a formal complaint to the Service by the Minister for Finance.
“Last year, 2019 between August and October there was a defamatory video that circulated widely across Nigeria and showing false engagement of Mr President in marriage with some members of his cabinet.
“One was the Minister for Finance, Hajiya Zainab Ahmed and another was that of the Minister for Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Farouq. On October 11, 2019 the Minister for Finance, brought a formal complaint to the Service in which she stated that the video had cost her big embarrassment and asked that an investigation be opened into that audio/video and the materials associated with it, the infographics and all the materials that were in circulation at the moment.
YIU YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:Fulani Group Sues Oyo Govt Over Anti-grazing Law
“She asked that a detailed investigation be opened in that regard with a view to identifying the persons or groups of persons that may have been behind the circulation of such defamatory materials.
“The Service went into investigation and we can announce that it had apprehended the person that is involved and the person who started this and who circulated the materials. His name is Kabiru Mohammed. He hails from Kano. He is 32 years.
“He holds a diploma in Hausa and Fulfulde from the Federal College of Education, Kano and also holds a diploma in Mass Communication from Aminu Kano Islamic School, according to him.
“He has confessed and investigation has also revealed his involvement in the creation of these materials and the circulation of the materials. Investigation is continuing to determine the actual reasons behind his intent.
“What we can assure you as Nigerians is that we would continue to deepen this investigation and bring it to a logical conclusion.
“We will do everything needful within the ambit of the law to bring this to a logical conclusion, as to determine whether there is or not other persons, interests and motives behind this other than what he has said.
“We want to use this opportunity to once again please ask Nigerians as always that the spread of false news through the social media does not do well for any person.
You may enjoy the spread of such falsehood when you are not the victim. But if you become the victim, you will know the pain.
YIU YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:Kwara Govt Explains Why Saraki’s Building Was Demolished
“And we want to urge every citizen and residents and of course Nigerians, that anywhere they are, they should desist from spreading falsehoods, misrepresentations, rumours against one another, against then government, and against institutions of government.
“By the time you click that button and you spread or participate in sharing news that is not true, you are helping in causing disharmony, you are helping in bringing problem in the country. And you are also feeding on differences in the country to bring about chaos, anarchy and instability.
“As we go into the New Year, we urge everyone to make a new attitude and begin to find reasons to be more patriotic, to be more law abiding, and be better citizens and to help move Nigeria forward.
“On our part we would continue to perform our duties and responsibilities without let or fear and will always collaborate with all stakeholders particularly the media and strategic partners to make sure there is lasting peace in the country.”
The suspect, Mohammed, who admitted to creating and sharing the videos begged for forgiveness, saying it was a mistake, adding that he was a member of a political group in Kano known as Kwakwasiya.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Ex-lawmaker Sentenced To Prison For Misappropriation
Man, 41, Sent To Prison For Groping Woman’s Breast
A Badagry Magistrates’ Court, Lagos, on Friday, ordered the remand of a 41-year-old man, Ibrahim Lemo, for groping the breast of a woman.
The court heard that Lemo beat up his victim, Zainab Babalola, when she demanded he stopped the unlawful act
Chief Magistrate Fadahunsi Adefioye remanded Lemo after he pleaded guilty to a two count bordering on assault.
READ ALSO: Prophet Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Defiling 10-year-old Step Daughter
Adefioye ordered that the defendant should be remanded in Awhajigoh Correctional Centre, Badagry.
He adjourned the case until April 14 for facts and sentencing.
Earlier, the prosecutor, ASP. Clément Okuoimose, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on April 6 at 2.30 p.m. at Badagry Roundabout shopping complex, Badagry, Lagos.
Okuoimose said Lemo without lawful excuse pressed the breast of the complainant, Zainab Babalola.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Court Remands Ex-Imo Deputy Gov In Prison
He said the defendant also hit the complainant on her left eye and caused her harm after she asked him not to touch her again.
The prosecutor said the offences contravened Sections 134 and 170 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
Hushpuppi’s Associate, Woodberry, Pleads Guilty, Forfeits $8m, Assets
Olalekan Jacob Ponle, known as Mr Woodberry, has pleaded guilty to wire fraud.
He also agreed to forfeit $8 million in proceeds of wire fraud as well as luxury cars and watches to the foreign government.
Woodberry, a known associate of the now-imprisoned internet fraudster, Ramon Abbas, better known as Hushpuppi, recently in a plea declaration submitted at the United States District Court of the Northern District of Illinois Eastern Division on April 6, pleaded guilty to count one of the indictments, the Peoples Gazette reports.
According to his plea agreement, he is required to pay back the sum of $8 million he fraudulently received from the seven companies that he scammed.
READ ALSO: Calls For Abba Kyari’s Arrest Heighten As Reactions Trail Hushpuppi’s ‘Bribery’ Allegation
“Defendant understands that by pleading guilty, he will subject to forfeiture to the United States all right, title, and interest that he has in any property constituting or derived from proceeds obtained, directly or indirectly, as a result of the offence,” stated the document containing Mr Ponle’s signed plea declaration.
Woodberry was also asked to waive his rights to the luxury cars, and designer watches he had stashed in Dubai.
The high-end automobiles include Rolls Royce Cullinan with vehicle no J9153, Lamborghini Urus (N4973) and Mercedes-Benz G-class (G68816).
Other items seized are four Rolex watches, one Patek Philippe watch, three Audemars Piguet watches, three gold and diamond-studded earrings, and six gold neck chains.
READ ALSO:Hushpuppi Sentenced To 11 Years In Prison
Last year, he forfeited 151.8 Bitcoin to the American government.
On June 10, 2020, Woodberry was arrested in Dubai alongside Ramon Hushpuppi Abbas, who is currently serving an 11-year sentence for a similar fraud charge.
Prior to his arrest, Woodberry was known for rocking and flaunting expensive designer wear and showing off his illicit wealth to his massive Instagram followers, the majority of whom had no idea his luxury lifestyle was funded by cybercrime.
17 Suspected Terrorists Bag 5 Years Over Conspiracy, Illegal Possession Of arms In Ondo
A Magistrates Court sitting in Akure, Ondo state, weekend, sentenced 17 suspected terrorists to five years in prison, for alleged conspiracy and illegal possession of firearms.
The driver of the bus, Abubakar Aliu and his conductor, Aruna Tukur, were also sentenced to four year imprisonments after being found guilty of illegal possession of firearms.
Other convicts include; Abdularasaq Idris, Rufai Nura, Sagri Musa, Imarana Bello, Tasiu Suliaman, Musa Bala, Saliu Saidu, Musur Adamu, Abduhlai Ibrahim, Imarana Yusuf, Abdulahi Mustafa, Haruna Tukur, Nura Saidu, Abubarka Aliu, and Mubarak Tsalhs.
The trail Magistrate, Damilola Sekoni, convicted the defendants after they were found guilty of two out of the three counts charges levelled against them.
Sekoni said “I’m satisfied with that circumstantial evidence given, in the instances of the avalanche of evidence before me, all defendants were guilty of the first charge, the 11th and 13th defendant who are the driver and his conductor, were guilt of the second charge while all the defendants are aquitted of the count.”
READ ALSO: Armed Herders Storm Church, Kill One, Abduct Pastor, Worshippers In Benue
The trail Magistrate added that both sentences are to run concurrently without an option of fine.
Sekoni said the action of the defendant is unacceptable in the society and the judgment would serve as deterrent to those who would want to indulge in such act.
The defendants were arraigned by the men of the State Security Outfit, Codenamed ‘Amotekun, on three counts of conspiracy, illegal possession of firearms and wondering in public places.
Prosecuting counsel, Olusegun Akeredolu, told the court that the defendant was arrested on November 4, 2021, along Akure/ Ondo expressway by the men of the Amoteken Corps after their buses attempted to overrun the security agents and speed off.
Akeredolu said the defendant conspired to commit a felony.
READ ALSO: Security Votes: Governors Meet With EFCC, ICPC, FIRS, CBN On Tuesday
The passengers were said to have conspired with the driver not to wait for the officers of the law when they were stopped at a checkpoint but instead sped off.
The Prosecutor added that the defendants were in posssesion of firearms without a valid license
They were also said to be found wondering on a public place at about 2a:m and under such circumstances that led to the conclusion that they were at the place for an illegal and disorderly purpose.
According to the charge, the offences contravene Section 516 and 260 of the Criminal Code Law of Ondo State, 2006 and Section 6(b) cap R11 Robbery and Firearms (special provision) Act, laws of the federation 2004.”
The defendants pleaded not guilty to the charge
The defence counsels, O.J. Emmanuel and P.O. Attah during the trial told the court that the defendants were innocent travellers that boarded a bus from a park in Katsina heading to Lagos.
READ ALSO: NDLEA Declares Prophetess, Celebrity Couple Wanted For Drug Trafficking
Emmanuel, in his address told the court that the driver of the bus knew nothing about the sack containing daggers found inside the bus as they were just a message given to him for someone in Lagos.
He added that the defendants refused to wait when they were asked to stop by the security agents and had to be pursued from Akure to Ondo town.
The defendants in their evidence individually denied the ownership of the sack of weapons found inside the bus, insisting that they were just passengers.
They equally said that they thought thise that stopped them were armed robbers hence they took off without stopping.
The driver claimed that no gun was found in the bus and that the sacks containing knives and daggers were message given to him at the park in Katsina expected to be delivered to someone in Lagos.
He claimed that he did not bother to he k the content of the message.
Recall that 18 persons in a bus conveying weapons in Ondo town were arrested by the personel of Amotekun.
READ ALSO: JUST IN: Man Threatening To Invite IPOB To Lagos Arrested
The bus was loaded with 500 pieces of weapons such as guns, knives, carriages and swords.
The items were reportedly concealed inside a sack and were kept under the seat of one of the buses.
According to the state Commander of Amotekun, Chief Adetunji Adeleye, three buses escaped from different checkpoints in the state but one of them was arrested in Ondo town.
“They had a brief stop just before they entered the town and when our men tried to stop them, the three buses escaped.
” We had to radio all our control points and we were able to bring the three buses to a stop at a point on Ondo road by a combined team including the police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps.
“The buses attempted to overrun the security agents and speed off.
” The speed was so much that they hit the barricades on the road. We discovered that it was difficult pursuing them and didn’t want to cause any accident. So we radioed our station at Owena and the security men there blocked the road.”
Adeleye said that ” On getting there, they were able to escape by hitting the barricades again. “We continued pursue them while we called the Ile-Oluji junction, saying that they should block the road properly but the suspects also escaped. We now had a complete blockade before the Akure garage in Ondo town and there we were able to apprehend them.”
I Would Have Slapped Kwankwaso If I Met Him In Aso Rock – Ganduje Fumes
Troops Neutralize 6 Bandits, Recover Arms In Kaduna
Burna Boy Continues World Stage Onslaught
Communal Clash Claims Seven, Injures Scores In Delta
BREAKING: COVID-19 Heath Workers Block Hospital Management Board’s Entrance, Demand Payment Of Allowances In Edo
Edo Guber: ‘Oshiomhole’s Triumphant Entry Has Left You In Trauma, Demoralised,’ APC Mocks PDP
Business1 week ago
BREAKING: NNPCL Confirms Increase In Fuel Pump Price
Headline1 week ago
President Biden Falls On Air Force Stage
News6 days ago
Fuel Subsidy Removal: Embrace Bicycle – FRSC Urges Nigerians
Metro7 days ago
JUST IN:Yahaya Bello Escapes Death As Gunmen Attack His Convoy, Injure Security Aides
Headline3 days ago
Tragedy As Nigerian Woman Of Four Shot Dead By US Neighbour Over Children’s Disagreement
News6 days ago
EFCC Seals Off Abuja, Rivers Properties Of Delta Federal Lawmaker-elect Over Corruption Allegations
Headline6 days ago
Sweden Declares S3x As Sport, To Hold First Competition Thursday
News5 days ago
BREAKING: Federal High Court Restrains NLC, TUC From Embarking On Strike