Connect with us

Metro

Suspect In Port Harcourt Blast Arrested

Published

on

The Rivers State Government said it has found the suspect who detonated an explosive device near the state-owned Presidential Hotel during a pro-police protest in Port Harcourt on Tuesday.

This came less than 24 hours after the State Commissioner for Health, Dr Adaeze Oreh, alerted management of both public and private medical facilities in the state on the identity of the suspect, injury signs and the need to detain him if found.

A substance believed to be dynamite went off near the Presidential Hotel axis of the Aba expressway causing panic in the area.

Advertisement

Oreh, while speaking to newsmen on Tuesday evening said, “Now the Rivers State Ministry of Health is calling for an alert to all medical facilities in the state, both public and privately owned facilities to be vigilant and look out for an individual, a young man with a traumatically dismembered upper limb because this injury which was sustained will require medical attention.

“If such an individual and their accomplices are present in any of the facilities, immediately notify the Commissioner for Police, Rivers State and the Rivers State Ministry of Health.”

However, later on Tuesday night, Oreh, told newsmen that the yet-to-be-identified suspected bomber, was rushed to the Rivers State University Teaching Hospital for treatment by his friends who are now at large.

READ ALSO: Edo Guber: Abuja Court To Deliver Judgement On Suit Challenging Akpata’s Nomination As LP Candidate

Advertisement

She explained that those who brought the man to the facility claimed that he was involved in a road accident when he arrived at the hospital.

The commissioner stated, “Following that call, our medical facilities in the state were on a heightened sense of alert and so when a young man was brought to the Rivers State University Teaching Hospital with alleged injury sustained during what was said to be a road traffic accident the medical personnel that were on hand to examine him and offer care were on alert.

“And immediately recognised that the injuries seen on this individual were not in tandem with a road traffic accident, but rather resemble injuries that would have come from a blast.

“The individual was taken to the theatre for immediate resuscitation because as of the time he was brought in he was semi-conscious.

Advertisement

“The medical personnel did the needful and immediately informed the Rivers State Government. Immediately informed the Commissioner for Police and the Rivers State Ministry of Health about the presence of that individual in the facility even when providing emergency medical care to revive and resuscitate him.”

The commissioner, however, disclosed that the suspect is now stable after receiving medical attention at the facility, saying, “We are working with the Rivers State Police Command and so the Hospital has been fully secured, the premises and the perimeter have been fully secured.

READ ALSO:Band A: Court Restrains Ikeja Electric, NERC From Implementing New Tariff

“The patient is undergoing medical treatment. He is stable and the police are doing their own part in carrying out the necessary investigations.

Advertisement

“And so in this manner, we just seek to inform the public that this is the update following the earlier incident of today in Port Harcourt.”

Efforts to reach the State Commissioner of Police, Olatunji Disu, on Wednesday morning proved abortive as his mobile was not connected.

When contacted, the spokesperson for the state Police Command, Grace Iringe-Koko, said she was yet to get information if the suspected bomber had been found.

Iringe-Koko, a Superintendent of Police promised to find out and get back to our correspondent but had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report on Wednesday morning.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Two Witnesses Testify As EFCC Opens Case Against Ex-Gov Obiano

On Tuesday night, the State Commissioner for Police, Olatunju Disu, while confirming the explosion said following preliminary investigations, the suspect actually detonated the explosive device.

Disu, however, did not link the incident to the protesters who were in support of the barricade of the 23 local government council secretariats of the state earlier the same day, noting that the command has opened an investigation into the incident.

He stated, “We got that information that four persons in a white Corolla vehicle somewhere along Aba Road stopped their vehicle and there was an explosion.

Advertisement

“The information we gathered was that two of the occupants of the vehicle were injured, while two others came out, put them in the vehicle and drove off.

“We have triggered all the necessary units of the Nigerian Police Force within the state to be on the lookout for these people and the victims in case they are going for treatment anywhere.

“At the same time, we have brought in officers in charge of the bomb squad. They have been able to gather particles to confirm that some particles that indicate IED (Improvised Explosive Device) were discovered.”

Advertisement

Metro

Former Borno Deputy Governor’s Daughter Loses Husband 5 Months After Wedding[PHOTOS]

Published

on

Yasmin, the daughter of former Borno State Deputy Gov. Adamu Shettima Yuguda Dibal, has lost her husband, Abdulrahman Sabo Maina, five months after their wedding.

Abdulrahman passed away on Sunday morning, July 14, 2024.

The couple got married in February 2024.

Advertisement

Family members, friends and the couple’s wedding photographer, Maigaskiya Studio, confirmed the sad news on social media.

READ ALSO:: Secret Service k!ll Man Who Shot At Trump In Failed Ass@ssination Attempt [VIDEO]

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

JUST IN: Gunmen Kill One, Kidnap Four In Anambra

Published

on

No fewer than four unidentified individuals were kidnapped, and one known person was killed by gunmen in Anambra state on Saturday night.

The incidents occurred at various locations within the state without any visible security presence.

It was gathered that at Ifite Awka, near the Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK) gate, two people were abducted after gunmen fired shots.

Advertisement

The report also has it that another person was kidnapped in the evening on Peter Obi’s Agulu-Oraukwu Road.

It was learnt that the most distressing incident took place at night in Oye Market, Nimo, Njikoka local government area, where another individual was taken by the gunmen.

In Enuavomimi village, Enugwu-Ukwu, also in Njikoka, a man identified as Clement Eduzor was killed by the assailants.

Reports also indicated that in each location, the gunmen fired sporadically before abducting their victims.

Advertisement

Residents have criticized the police, accusing them of arriving only after the incidents had occurred.

The state police public relations officer, Ikenga Tochukwu, confirmed that one of the incidents but did not comment on the others.

In his reaction, Ikenga, said through a statement on Sunday, July 14, in Awka, that the command was responding to the incident at Ifite-Awka

READ ALSO: Ex-Rep Rejects Membership Of Edo APC Gov Campaign Council

Advertisement

He said: “The Commissioner of Police Anambra State, Nnaghe Obono Itam states that efforts are ongoing to arrest the assailants and rescue the victims of the abduction incident on 13/7/2024 captured in a video along Ifite – Amansea road, Awka.

“Meanwhile, the Police responding team recovered the abandoned victim’s vehicle, and joint security measures/personnel positioning are already in place to forestall such related incidents in the state.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Why I Convinced My Wife To Sell Our Baby — Suspect

Published

on

A 28-year-old man, yesterday, narrated how he convinced his wife to sell their two-year-old baby to raise money for him to travel out of the country.

The father of one, a labourer, identified as Uchenna Eziekwe and his wife, Chineye (22), were arrested while enquiring how to sell their baby boy at the Isolo General Hospital, Lagos.
Explaining how they were arrested, a spokesman for the Lagos State Police Command, Benjamin Hudenyin, revealed that the arrest was effected on July 9, 2024.

He said: “About 2:45 p.m., on Tuesday, the Divisional Police Officer, DPO, in charge of Isolo Police Station received information that a couple went to the Isolo General Hospital, declaring their intention to sell their baby boy.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: Russian Oil Depot Gutted By Fire After Ukrainian Drone Attack

“Upon receipt of the information, operatives from the division moved swiftly to the hospital, where Uchenna Eziekwe and Chineye Eziekwe were about to sell their child. The baby was rescued. Upon interrogation, the couple said they decided to sell the baby to enable the man to travel to Canada for greener pastures. However, investigation is ongoing.”

Speaking with journalists, Eziekwe said the decision to sell the child was his, attributing his action to the harsh economy.

He said: “It was a difficult decision, but we had no choice but to sell our baby. We felt it would be better to sell him to someone who can take care of him than to allow him to die of hunger.
“I muted the idea and convinced my wife. We had to do it because of hardship. I am a labourer, I go to construction sites to look for work while my wife does nothing. Like I said, it was a hard decision.”

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading

Trending