Metro
TUC Protest Against Shutting Down Alcoholic Sachet Drink Factories By NAFDAC

The Trade Union Congress (TUC) and Food, Beverages and Tobacco Senior Staff Association (FOBTOB) on Tuesday held a peaceful protest against the National Agency Food and Drug Administration Control (NAFDAC)’s directive to shut down companies manufacturing alcoholic sachet drinks.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the protest took place in front of NAFDAC’s office at Plot 1, Industrial Estate, Apapa-Oshodi Expressway, Isolo, Lagos State.
NAFDAC in 2018, had given a directive to stop the production of alcoholic beverages and drinks in sachets and bottles below 200ml with effect from Jan. 31, 2024.
Also, NAFDAC had in January 2022 suspended the registration of alcoholic beverages in sachet as well as small volume PET and glass bottles below 200ml.
READ ALSO: NAFDAC Begins Enforcement Of Ban On Alcoholic Drinks In Sachets
This led to a two-day enforcement exercise which was recently carried out in Ota, Ogun State, leading to the shutting down of some factories.
The Vice-President of TUC, Mr Emmanuel Idogen, said that a lot of people had already been rendered jobless from the factories shut down by the regulatory agency .
Idogen said that though he was not against NAFDAC carrying out their duty, but to shut down the livelihood of thousands of people at a time of economic hardship was inhumane.
“We all know the economic hardship we are facing in the country presently. Price of fuel has increased, prices of food is increasing on a daily basis and there is inflation.
“Some of the people earn their living to feed their family and dependents from the factory that you have shut down.
READ ALSO: Canadian Province Bans New Colleges From Enrolling International Students
“Invariably, there will be more families exposed to hunger and I believe this will have a negative impact on the society,” he said.
The vice-president said that many companies in the country, as a result of the harsh economic indices of doing business, had been under strain due to limited available jobs.
“And now, you want to lay off thousands of workers into the labour market that is already overstretched.
“What do you expect them to do in order to feed and cater for the needs of their family?.
“We are appealing to NAFDAC to suspend the directive to shutdown the production of alcoholic sachets drinks for the posterity of the masses,” he said.
READ ALSO: Otti Clears Air On N1.5billion For Two Hilux Vehicles In Abia Budget
Idogen said that the Lagos State government raised the motion that alcoholic sachets were the cause of blocked drainage systems in the state.
“What about others like nylon bags, plastic bottles and other things blocking the drainages.
“To label alcoholic sachets as the sole contributor to the blockages of drainage would be unfair,” he said.
The vice-president also said that alcoholic sachet drinks was affordable and economical in quantity for those that don’t have enough money but still wanted to enjoy alcohol consumption.
“When you talk about the purchasing power of the masses, sachet alcoholic beverages is still more available for easy purchase.
“It is not everyone that has money to buy the expensive bottle so why are you trying to make life difficulty for the common man on the street?,” Idogen said.
READ ALSO: Scare As Dead Goose Found In Crashed
Similarly, the Secretary of FOBTOB, Mr Anthony Oyagua, said that no fewer than 5,000 members had been put out of jobs and sent into the labour market.
“The labour market is already saturated and you have piled more problems on our nation’s economy by sending more people into that same market.
“This does not represent President Bola Tinubu’s agenda for the renewed hope,” he said.
Oyagua said that the action would affect workers, suppliers, customers and most especially the local, state and federal government whose revenue drive will also drop in tune of billions of naira.
“We appeal to NAFDAC to help take a second look at this policy of government and help save our industry from imminent collapse and protect the jobs of millions of Nigerians nationwide,” he said.
READ ALSO: MultiChoice Turns Down Canal+ Buyout
The Director, Drug and Evaluation Research, NAFDAC, Mr Kayode Amuda, said that the agency’s focus was to shutdown the alcoholic line production because of its negative effects on the society.
“Our critical focus is to protect the health of the nation because a lot of our children and youths have been made redundant as a result of easy access to these sachet drinks.
“We have been on the front burner of this message for long and have been telling the manufacturers about this impeding change but we keep on shifting goal post.
“However, we have to take a step toward enforcement and address this because it is ruining the life of our children and youths in the country.
“Our focus in NAFDAC is to put a stop to the production of alcoholic sachet beverages,” the NAFDAC representative said.
Metro
Violence Rocks APC Reps Primary In Ekiti Ward, Exercise Declared Inconclusive

Chaos erupted at the All Progressives Congress, APC, primary for Ward 10, Fajuyi Pavilion, Ado Local Government Area of Ekiti State on Saturday.
Electoral officials halted the process and declared it inconclusive after violence broke out among party supporters.
The primary pitted Olushola Fatoba against Tope Ogunleye, widely known as RST. Loyalists and agents of both aspirants had converged on Fajuyi Pavilion before voting was scheduled to begin.
According to eyewitnesses, tensions rose when suspected thugs allegedly backing Fatoba stormed the venue wielding canes and firearms. Their arrival appeared aimed at intimidating Ogunleye’s supporters and suppressing turnout.
READ ALSO:APC Clears Wike Loyalists, Disqualifies All Fubara-aligned Aspirants For State Assembly
Despite the hostile atmosphere, Ogunleye’s backers held their ground, chanting solidarity songs in support of their candidate. Voting eventually started under heavy tension.
Observers at the scene said Ogunleye seemed to have the larger share of support among members present, with his base visibly outnumbering the opposition.
Violence broke out after Fatoba’s camp allegedly sensed an imminent loss. Clashes between both groups forced an abrupt end to voting.
During the unrest, Ogunleye’s agent, Mr. Sunday, was assaulted. Another member, Mr. Femi Ogunleye, was reportedly beaten and his Tecno Spark 9 phone seized. A female supporter, Mrs. Oluwaseun Osamuwa, was also attacked and her Apple Smart Wrist Watch stolen. Both Mr. Femi Ogunleye and Mrs. Osamuwa sustained injuries and were rushed to hospital.
READ ALSO:Rumblings In APC Over Aborted Deal With Lawmakers
As of press time, no winner had emerged and the Ward 10 primary remained inconclusive.
The violence has renewed concerns over thuggery and intimidation in internal party elections. Party members and political observers say the incident raises serious questions about voters’ ability to freely choose candidates without fear.
Stakeholders are calling on security agencies and electoral authorities to probe the disruption, ensure justice for those attacked, and safeguard the credibility of future primaries.
Metro
My Wife Destroyed My Property, Instigated Our Children To Beat Me, Man Tells Court

The Grade A Customary Court, Court 2, sitting in Mapo, Ibadan, Oyo State, has delivered judgment in a divorce suit filed by a man, Theophilus, against his wife, Aina, whom she accused of lack of affection, frequent quarrels, and domestic violence.
According to Theophilus, Aina was stubborn and always insisted on having things her own way.
He further said that she was disobedient and refused to listen to him.
The plaintiff also told the court that the defendant was hostile towards their friends and neighbours, which often led to conflicts between them.
READ ALSO:My Wife Attempted Suicide, Turned Our Children Against Me ‘Cos I Suddenly Became Poor —Husband
He further claimed that Aina was violent and would attack him with any object within her reach during disagreements.
In addition, he accused her of destroying his property whenever they had differences.
Theophilus also explained that Aina turned their children against him.
He stated that they assaulted him and damaged his belongings.
He told the court that he eventually left their home because he feared for his safety and believed that the defendant intended to harm him.
READ ALSO:My Husband Is A Figurehead, I Feed Our Five Children, Pay Their Fees
The plaintiff therefore appealed to the court to dissolve their marriage and also requested an order restraining Aina from threatening him or interfering with his privacy.
Aina was absent from court despite being served court summons.
Theophilus, while giving his testimony before the court, stated, “I have not enjoyed peace or rest of mind since I married my wife.
“I paid her bride price to her family, but they rejected it.
“My wife is far from being a virtuous woman.
“She was never submissive and was always full of herself.
READ ALSO:My Wife Of 22yrs Denies Me Sex —Husband
“She had no respect for me and disobeyed my instructions whenever she wished.
“She neither listened to me nor accepted my advice.
“My wife was also violent.
“During disagreements, she attacked me with any dangerous object she could lay her hands on.
“On three different occasions, Aina destroyed my property.
“Our neighbours and friends were not exempt from her hostility.
READ ALSO:Man Jumped To His Death To Avoid Being Caught By Lover’s Husband
“She was constantly at loggerheads with them and fought with them on several occasions.
“My wife also turned our children against me.
“They beat me mercilessly and nearly killed me.
“They also destroyed my belongings.
“I left the house after the incident because it became obvious that my wife wanted me dead.
READ ALSO:My Husband Is A Figurehead, I Feed Our Five Children, Pay Their Fees
“I came to court to seek the dissolution of our marriage because my wife’s presence in my life has brought me nothing but pain and suffering.
“I sincerely appeal to the court to dissolve our marriage.
“I also request an order restraining her from threatening me or interfering with my privacy.”
The Court President, Mrs. O. E. Owoseni, while delivering judgment, stated that there was no valid marriage to dissolve because no marital rites were performed, and no bride price was paid.
Owoseni also issued an order restraining the defendant from threatening or interfering with the plaintiff’s private life
Metro
‘I Have Nowhere To Go, He Married Me At 14yrs Old, Now He Wants Divorce 30yrs After’

A 44-year-old woman, Zainab Isah, has told a Shari’a Court 1 sitting at Magajin Gari, Kaduna, Kaduna State, that she had nowhere to go after her divorce from her husband, Alhaji Abdulhamid.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Zainab told the court that Abdulhamid married her when she was 14 years old.
“I have been married to him for 30 years now and our union is blessed with 10 children,” she stated.
She further said that her husband divorced her on January 1.
READ ALSO:My Husband Disappeared From Home For Six Years, Left Me, Our Children To Starve — Wife
“I am yet to complete my waiting period (Iddah), as required under Islam.
“I lived in peace with my co-wives but I can’t leave my children for them; three of my children are sick,” she said.
Earlier , Abdulrashid Musa, counsel to Abdulhamid, prayed the court to compel Zainab to leave his house since they were no longer married.
He said he had issued two pronouncement of divorce to the defendant.
READ ALSO:After Divorce, She Became A Tenant In My House —Ex-husband
The first, he said was pronounced on December 29, 2025, adding that she had finished her Iddah.
He stated that all efforts made by him to ensure she leaves his house, failed.
He alleged that she was causing trouble for his other wives.
READ ALSO:My Wife Swore To Kill Me, Stopped Cooking For Me — Husband
The complainant however, told the court that he was ready to pay for his ex wife’s rent when she gets a new place to live with her children.
The judge, Malam Mu’awiya Shehu said the rights of a woman for shelter, feeding and other provisions by the husband ends when divorce occur adding that only the children have the right to be taken care of .
He adjourned the matter to June 1 for the defendant to find a new place she can relocate to with her children.
Politics5 days agoFubara Clears Air On ‘Defection’ To NDC [VIDEO]
News4 days agoGun Battle In Oyo Forest As Police Disrupt ₦10m Ransom Collection Plot
Politics3 days agoFour Fubara Loyalists Disqualified As APC Clears 21 For Rivers Reps Primaries
News5 days agoEx-power Minister Jailed 75 Years Over Fraud
Metro4 days agoDrama As Teenagers Stage Secret Wedding With N3,000 Bride Price
Politics3 days ago2027: Court Rebukes Plaintiff, Lawyer In Suit Against Jonathan, Awards N1m Fine
News3 days agoLagos Sanctions 15 Money Lending Companies For Sharp Practices
Politics5 days ago2027: Daniel-Abiodun Feud Deepens Over Senatorial Ticket For Ogun East
News4 days agoPAP Sends Additional 15 Scholarship Beneficiaries For Post-Graduate Studies In UK
Sports4 days agoCAF Introduces New Laws After Chaotic AFCON Final In Morocco
















