Headline
Turkey President Faces Voter Fury After Earthquake
Published
3 years agoon
By
Editor
Hakan Tanriverdi has a simple message for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan days after Turkey suffered its worst disaster in generations: “Don’t come here asking for votes.”
The earthquake that killed more than 21,000 people across Turkey and Syria came at one of the most politically sensitive moments of Erdogan’s two-decade rule.
The Turkish leader has proposed holding a crunch election on May 14 that could keep his Islamic-rooted government in power until 2028.
The date gives his splintered opposition little time to hammer out their differences and agree on a joint presidential candidate.
READ ALSO: ‘How We Escaped Turkey Earthquake,’ Nigerian Family Recounts
Whether that vote can now go ahead as planned remains to be seen.
Erdogan has declared a three-month state of emergency across 10 quake-hit provinces. The region is still digging out its dead and many are living on the streets or in their cars.
Campaigning here seems out of the question.
But there is also a political dimension that is deeply personal for Erdogan.
The earthquake struck just as he was gaining momentum and starting to lift his approval numbers from a low suffered during a dire economic crisis that exploded last year.
Tanriverdi’s bitterness is a bad sign for Erdogan in a province where he handily beat his secular opposition rival in the last election in 2018.
“We were deeply hurt that no one supported us,” Tanriverdi said of the government’s earthquake response.
– Erdogan fights back –
Tanriverdi’s grievances are common in Adiyaman province — one of the hardest-hit by the quake.
Locals complain that rescuers didn’t arrive in time to pull out people who survived the first critical hours. Some pointed to a lack of machinery to drill through slabs of concrete.
“I did not see anyone until 2:00 pm on the second day of the earthquake,” Adiyaman resident Mehmet Yildirim said.
“No government, no state, no police, no soldiers. Shame on you! You left us on our own.”
Erdogan admitted “shortcomings” in the government’s handling of the disaster on Wednesday.
But he is also fighting back. The 68-year-old led a rescue response meeting in Ankara on Tuesday and spent the following two days touring a series of devastated cities.
He is yet to visit Adiyaman.
That upsets Hediye Kalkan, a volunteer who travelled nearly 150 kilometres (95 miles) to help with the Adiyaman rescue and recovery effort.
“Why doesn’t the state show itself on a day like this?” she demanded.
“People are taking their relatives’ bodies out by their own means”.
– ‘Isn’t it a sin?’ –
The sheer scale and timing of the disaster — spanning a large and remote region in the middle of a winter storm — would make any rescue effort complicated.
Erdogan has received a largely warm reception from locals in carefully choreographed visits broadcast on national television.
One elderly Syria, Turkey Quake Toll Rises To 2,300 came out to hug Erdogan and shed tears on his shoulder.
Veysel Gultekin might not do the same if he had a chance to face the Turkish leader.
READ ALSO:
Gultekin said he had seen one of his relatives’ feet trapped under the rubble after running out on the street after Monday’s pre-dawn tremor.
“If I had a simple drill, I could have pulled him out alive,” Gultekin said. “But he was completely trapped and after a strong aftershock, he died.”
AFP reporters saw more machines and rescue workers — including international teams — around collapsed buildings on Thursday.
But this was not enough to soothe Tanriverdi’s pain.
“People who didn’t die from the earthquake were left to die in the cold,” he said. “Isn’t it a sin, people who have been left to die like this?”
AFP
You may like
Headline
PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis
Published
10 minutes agoon
August 30, 2025By
Editor
The prime minister of Yemen’s Huthis was killed in an Israeli airstrike along with other officials earlier this week, the Iran-backed rebels announced on Saturday.
Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi, who was appointed last year, is the most senior official known to have been killed in a series of Israeli strikes during the war in Gaza.
“We announce the martyrdom of the fighter Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi… along with several of his ministerial colleagues, as they were targeted by the treacherous Israeli criminal enemy,” a Huthi statement said.
READ ALSO:Rivers Sole Administrator, Ibas Dismantles Fubara’s Political Structures With Key Appointments
“Others among their companions were injured with moderate to serious wounds and are receiving medical care since Thursday afternoon,” it added.
The Israeli military struck in the area of Sanaa, the Huthi-held capital, on Thursday. The Huthis, claiming solidarity with the Palestinians, have frequently fired missiles and drones at Israel during the Gaza war.
READ ALSO:How Imo Monarch, Cop Suspected Killers Were Arrested — Police
Israeli forces “struck a Huthi terrorist regime military target”, the Israeli military said at the time.
The Huthis have also targeted shipping in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden, which they claim is linked to Israel during the Gaza war.
The rebel group controls large parts of Yemen, which has been gripped by war since 2014, and is part of Iran’s anti-Israel alliance alongside militant groups across much of the Middle East.
Headline
Four Places In The World Without Traffic Lights
Published
21 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
In a world where traffic lights are an essential part of road management, a few countries and regions stand out for functioning without them. These places rely on alternative systems ranging from police officers and roundabouts to cultural driving habits to manage traffic. Here’s a closer look at the nations and areas where traffic lights are absent.
Bhutan
Bhutan is famously known as the only country in the world that operates entirely without traffic lights. Even in its capital city, Thimphu, which has witnessed growing traffic due to urbanisation, automated signals have never been adopted. Instead, traffic management is handled by police officers who stand at major intersections, directing vehicles with hand signals.
In 1995, when a set of traffic lights was briefly installed in Thimphu, public complaints led to their swift removal, as locals felt the system clashed with the country’s traditions and culture of cooperation. Bhutan’s reliance on human-directed traffic reflects both its small population and strong sense of civic responsibility.
READ ALSO:Top 10 African Countries With Cheapest Petrol Prices In July 2025
Vatican City
Vatican City, the world’s smallest sovereign nation, also operates without any traffic lights. With an area of just 44 hectares and a population of around 800 people, the city-state does not require traffic signals to regulate movement. Roads inside the Vatican are short and few, and traffic is mostly managed by signage and the Vatican’s own police force. However, just outside the Vatican’s walls, in Rome, traffic lights are abundant, highlighting the contrast between the bustling Italian capital and the tranquil governance of the Holy See.
Niue
In the South Pacific, Niue, one of the world’s smallest island nations, also has no traffic lights. With a population of less than 2,000 people and very limited vehicle traffic, there is little need for automated signals. Roads are quiet, and driving is relaxed, with motorists often waving to one another as they pass.
The absence of traffic lights in Niue is less a necessity than a reflection of the island’s lifestyle, where community trust and minimal congestion make formal traffic control unnecessary.
READ ALSO:Full List Of Schengen Countries Offering 5-yr Visa Programme
Tekesi County, China
A unique example of urban planning without traffic lights can be found in Tekesi County, Xinjiang, China. The county town was designed based on the ancient Bagua (Eight Trigrams) symbol from Taoist philosophy. Its distinctive circular and radiating street layout relies on roundabouts to direct vehicles.
In 1996, authorities cancelled the installation of traffic lights in order to preserve the Bagua system, making Tekesi a rare modern settlement that manages traffic without signals. The design has since become both a cultural attraction and a point of pride for residents, who see it as a symbol of harmony and balance.
Headline
Nigerian Student Wins ‘Top In World’ Cambridge IGCSE English Award
Published
21 hours agoon
August 29, 2025By
Editor
A Nigerian student, Kenechukwu Oluwanifemi Uba, has emerged the “Top in World” candidate in the November 2024 Cambridge IGCSE English as a Second Language (Speaking Endorsement).
Uba, a pupil of Caleb International College, Magodo, Lagos, received the Outstanding Cambridge Learners Award for her performance, which was recognised by Cambridge University Press & Assessment.
This was contained in a statement signed by the Spokesperson to the Proprietor and Founder, Caleb Group of Schools and University, Prof. Elvis Otobo, and made available to The PUNCH on Friday.
READ ALSO:UK To Bar Criminals From Football Matches, Pubs, Travel Under New Policy
The certificate, signed by the Group Managing Director of International Education at Cambridge, Rod Smith, was presented during a ceremony organised by the British Council and Cambridge University Press & Assessment at the Civic Centre, Lagos.
Speaking on the achievement, the Proprietor/CEO of Caleb Group of Schools and University, Dr. Oladega Adebogun, said the recognition reflected the school’s values of integrity, perseverance and innovation.
“We are overjoyed by Kenechukwu’s outstanding performance.
READ ALSO:Suspected Amasiri Warriors Invade Ebonyi Community, Behead Farmer Amid Land Dispute
“Her success embodies our core values of integrity, perseverance, and innovation. We invest heavily in cutting-edge teaching methods—from flipped classrooms to AI-driven language labs—so that every student can discover their potential and lead with confidence,” Adebogun said.
Uba expressed gratitude to her teachers, classmates and family, noting that preparing in the school’s language lab helped build her confidence.
“From the moment I joined Caleb, I felt inspired by teachers who challenged me to think deeply and by peers who encouraged me to persevere. Preparing for the speaking endorsement in our state-of-the-art lab sharpened my confidence. This recognition belongs to everyone—my mentors, my classmates, and my family,” she said.
Caleb International College described the award as proof of its commitment to raising globally competitive students through advanced learning facilities and strong character development programmes.
- Shock As Adeleke Employs Roadside puff-puff Hawker As Govt House Chef
- PM Killed In Israeli Strike, Say Yemen’s Huthis
- Wike Gives Update On Rivers Emergency Rule Expires Date
- Police Arrest Kidnap Kingpin, Others In Benue
- Katsina Govt Revokes Licenses Of All Private, Community Schools
- JUST IN: Oldest Missionary To Nigeria, Ruth Elton, Is Dead
- APC Mocks Jonathan As ADC Woos Him For 2027 Race
- 5 Records Michael Jackson Set That Remain Unbroken
- My Wife Sleeps In Leggings, Denies Me Sex —Husband
- I Spent 13 Days In Hospital After My Husband Beat Me —Wife
Trending
- News5 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- News2 days ago
JUST IN: Immigration Hikes Passport Fees To N100,000, N200,000
- Politics5 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South
- Politics5 days ago
Why APC Candidates Contested 2023 LG Election Despite Intimidation — State Chairman
- Sports5 days ago
Brazil Names Squad Without Neymar, Vinicius For World Cup Qualifiers [FULL LIST]
- Sports5 days ago
Enabulele Confident Of Team Edo’s Success At 2025 NYG
- Politics3 days ago
Edo PDP Knocks Okpebholo Over ₦2.5b Donation To UBTH
- News5 days ago
Tinubu Signs Direct Flight, Other Agreements With Brazil
- News5 days ago
OPINION: Death Of World’s Nicest Judge
- Sports5 days ago
Sports Commission Boss Commends Team Edo Athletes For Continental Triumph