The Federal Capital Territory Police Command and the FCT Federal Emergency Management Agency have debunked reports of a bomb explosion in Maitama, Abuja on Wednesday.
The police noted that preliminary findings indicated that an overheated metal refuse container activated under intense heat and exploded, thereby causing injury to two refuse evacuators, who are currently receiving medical attention in Maitama General Hospital.
Meanwhile, two refuse evacuators who sustained injuries from the incident are receiving medical attention at the Maitama General Hospital.
It was gathered that a bang occurred at a dump site outside the Bureau of Public Enterprise premises in Maitama, Abuja, on Wednesday.
A resident revealed, “It was not a bomb explosion that occurred at Maitama. There was a bang at a dump site outside the Bureau of Public Enterprise premises in Maitama, and the sudden loud, sharp noise that was heard was caused by an eruption from a metallic waste bin that had been heated by the sun. And police EOD have been deployed to the scene, and calm has been restored in the area.”
Meanwhile, the FCT Police spokesperson, SP Josephine Adeh, in a statement, said a rapid response team and the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit were deployed to assess the situation.
The police further warned FCT residents against the usage of metallic refuse bins, while recommending the use of plastic or rubber containers for waste disposal to reduce the risk of related incidents of over-heated metal refuse containers.
Adeh said, “The FCT Police Command hereby wishes to update the public on an alleged explosion on January 24, 2024, at about 11:45am, near a refuse dump outside the Bureau of Public Enterprise premises in Maitama, Abuja.
READ ALSO: Ibadan Explosion Death Roll Rises
“A rapid response team and members of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit were deployed to assess the situation and preliminary findings indicate that an overheated metal refuse container activated under intense heat, exploded, thereby causing injury to two of the refuse evacuators, who are currently receiving medical attention in Maitama General Hospital.
“The FCT Police Command urges members of the public to exercise caution and refrain from using metal refuse bins. Instead, we recommend the use of plastic or rubber containers for waste disposal, as they pose a reduced risk of incidents related to overheated metal refuse containers.”
However, when contacted by journalists, the Head of Public Relations, FCT FEMA, Nkechi Isa, said, “Yes there was an explosion. No casualties, FEMA was there. The FCT police are looking into it. It occurred at a dump site.”
JUST IN: One Missing, 15 Rescued In Boat Accident
Not less than 15 people were rescued this evening from the scene of a boat accident in Lagos, where a passenger ferry collided with an unexpected shoreline concrete at a construction site near the power line corridor at the Lekki Ikoyi Link Bridge.
Although one person was still missing as of the time the report was filed.
In a statement by the management of the Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA), one of the passengers was said to have sustained an injury, while another is yet to be accounted for.
In a statement signed by Wuraola Alake of the Public Relations Unit of LASWA, said officers from the Search and Rescue Unit of the Lagos State Waterways Authority, the Marine Unit of the Nigerian Police Force and other relevant agencies were still at the incident location carrying out further rescue Operations.
Part of the statement reads: “At about 6.50pm today Wednesday 21, 2024, an Ibeshe bound passenger ferry named Tee Ben having departed from Addax jetty, had a collusion with an unforeseen shoreline concrete at a construction site around the power line corridor at the Lekki Ikoyi Link Bridge.
“About 15 out of the 17 passengers said to be on board this boat have been rescued, with one casualty confirmed, while rescue efforts are still ongoing as at the time of writing this statement.
“Officers from the Search and Rescue Unit of the Lagos State Waterways Authority, the Marine Unit of the Nigerian Police Force and other relevant agencies were still at the incident location carrying out further rescue operations.”
Pastor, Five Others To Die By Hanging For Robbery
An Ondo State High Court sitting in Akure, the state capital has sentenced six persons to death over their involvement in bank robberies which took place in Akure and Idanre in 2011.
The convicts include a pastor, Adewale Adelu, and five others – Ikechuckwu Maduagwu, Fayemi Olubusuyi, Ropo Adeleye, Dele Otopka, and Bayo Omotosho.
They were found guilty of robbing two commercial banks in Akure and Idanre on November 19 and December 8, 2011 in Akure and Idanre respectively.
They were arrested by the men of the state police command and were charged to court.
The court delivered the judgement on Tuesday.
When the trial began, the convicts were arraigned before the court on four-count charge bothering on conspiracy, armed robbery, and illegal possession of firearms and were later remanded in Olokuta Correctional Centre.
The prosecuting counsel, F.K Salami, told the court that the convicts and others were “armed with AK 47 guns, dynamite, and other weapons at Oyemekun Road, Akure, conspired to attack and robbed a branch of Diamond Bank Plc, after which they went away with a sum of N30million and different brand of phones, including other valuable property.
“The convicts on December 8, 2011, at 2 pm, were also alleged to have robbed First Bank Plc at Yaba Road, Idanre, where they carted away another sum of N4million.”
According to the prosecution, “the offences contravene Sections 6b, 1 2a, and b of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act, Cap R11, Vol. 14 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.”
There were arguments from both the prosecuting and defence counsel at various court proceedings on the matter while witnesses were also invited to the court to testify.
In the judgment of Justice Yemi Fasanmi, on Tuesday, the court held that the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.
The judge also said the defendants were unanimous in their confessions and the role each of them played in the robberies.
To this end, Justice Fasanmi “sentenced all the defendants to death by hanging in each of the counts.”
A Court in Akure had earlier sentenced a man, Gbenga Akintola, to 21 years imprisonment for involvement in robbery.
Akintola was apprehended by the Amotekun command and the police in Ondo town in 2021 for using dangerous weapons such as cutlasses to rob three individuals of their money and valuables.
He was later charged and brought before the court on five counts, including conspiracy to commit armed robbery and armed robbery.
Court Remands Anambra Lawyer For Brutalising Maid
The Children, Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Court sitting at the Chief Magistrate’s Court in Awka, has remanded a lawyer, Adachukwu Okafor, at the State Criminal and Investigative Department custody in Awka, for allegedly inflicting physical injuries on the body of her 11-year-old housekeeper.
Okafor, who resides at Chris Igwilo Street Akapka GRA, 3-3 Onitsha of Anambra State, was arraigned before the Children, Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Court presided by Genevieve Osakwe, in Awka, on Wednesday on two counts.
Okafor allegedly used various objects like a broken bottle, knife, and electric iron to harm her house help in response to an incident involving her daughter.
The two-count borders mainly on willful infliction of physical injuries on the body of one Happiness Nwafor, an offence punishable under Section 4(1) of the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition and Protection) Laws of Anambra State of Nigeria 2017.
The charge was read and interpreted to the defendant to the court’s satisfaction; the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Okafor, who was reportedly said to be on the run, surrendered herself to the Anambra Police Command in Awka, after the Minister of Women Affairs, Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, had placed an N2m bounty on anyone who knew her whereabouts.
Meanwhile, a bail application was made by the defendant’s counsel, Chijioke Nwankwo, but the bail was denied by the court and the matter was adjourned till February 28, 2024, for ruling.
Speaking to journalists after the court’s session, the defendant’s counsel, Chijioke Nwankwo, when asked why it took his client time to report to the police, stated that he was unaware of any bounty placed on Okafor.
He explained that he was only contacted for the job and he immediately took the defendant to the police.
He, however, complained that the state Ministry of Women and Social Welfare is already doing trial by ordeal, which he noted is not in the best interest of the case.
The victim, an 11-year-old, had since been discharged from the hospital and made an appearance in court too.
READ ALSO: Anambra: Fire Guts Timber Market At Nnewi
Reacting to the development, the Anambra State Commissioner for Women and Social Welfare, Ify Obinabo, stated that she trusts the court to do justice.
Obinabo also revealed that her ministry would soon embark on media sensitisation programme, during which Anambra residents would be educated and fully enlightened about the dangers and negative consequences of child abuse.
She said, “We advise members of the public to shun all forms of social vices in the society, especially, those vices that endanger the life of a child; and we called on everyone to be agents of positive social change.”
Edo Guber: Oshiomhole Breaks Silence On Zoning
Top 5 Music Albums Of All Time
How I Formed, Invited Eedris Abdulkareem To Join ‘The Remedies’ – Eddy Remedy
Light Up Edo Crusade: Adeboye, J.T. Kalejaiye, Others Storm Benin
Two Arrested Over Man’s Death After Hotel Sex Romp
American Adult Film Star, Jesse Jane, Is Dead
Politics2 days ago
Edo Guber: INEC Threatens Sanction On Aspirants Mounting Billboards, Speaks On APC Primary
Politics2 days ago
Edo Poll: PDP NWC Approves Delegate List, Okays Thursday For Primary
Metro2 days ago
Gunmen Abduct Nine Kogi Travellers, Demand N2.6m Ransom
Metro2 days ago
[UPDATED] Edo Guber: APC Youths, Women Take Over Secretariat, Demand Sack Of SWC
Politics1 day ago
Edo APC Primary: Give Okpebholo Certificate Of Return, He’s Authentic Winner, Group Appeals To NWC
News11 hours ago
Call For Sen. Imasuen’s Recall: Group Tackles Omobude, Uwangue
Metro2 days ago
NAFDAC, PCN Raid, Seal 1,321 Patent Medicine Outlets In Kano
Metro2 days ago
EFCC Raids Abuja Bureau De Change Operators, Arrest 50
News2 days ago
Nigerians Knock Seyi Tinubu For Preaching Endurance Over Economic Hardship
News2 days ago
[JUST IN] Slain Rivers DPO: Police Confirm Prime Suspect’s Death