Connect with us

Headline

UK Varsities To Layoff Workers, As Enrolment By Nigerians, Others Dwindle

Published

on

No fewer than 15 universities in the United Kingdom have announced plans yo sack some workers and even stop running some courses because of the sharp decline in enrolment by foreign students including Nigerians.

According to a report by University World News, the sharp decline in foreign students enrolment was particularly felt at the postgraduate level.

The development is also connected to the decision by the Uk government to reduce international students, as some concessions given them that level have been whittled down.

Advertisement

Also, there are concerns too that the high cost of living being experienced globally may negatively affect enrolment of foreign students at the undergraduate level.

READ ALSO: Why Nigeria’s Oil Belongs To The North – Ex-presidential Aide

From the prestigious Russell Group Universities to mid-tier universities and Scottish institutions, the current situation is not sparing most universities.

Robert Gordon University (RGU) recently introduced a voluntary severance scheme in the face of staff redundancy due to its financial difficulties as a result of a notable decline in international student enrollments, a consequence of post-Brexit alterations in UK immigration policies.

Advertisement

RGU cited escalating cost pressures and a considerable reduction in public funding as contributing factors.

 

Advertisement

Headline

JUST IN: Iran Summons French, British, German Envoys Over Reactions To Israel Attack

Published

on

Iran summoned the French, British, and German ambassadors to Tehran on Sunday over reactions to Iran’s missile and drone attack on Israel.

“The British, French, and German ambassadors to Tehran were summoned to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs following the irresponsible positions of certain officials of these countries regarding Iran’s response to the actions of the Zionist regime (Israel) against the nationals and interests of our country,” the official IRNA news agency said.

READ ALSO: Tension Heightens As US, Britain , France, Others React To Iran Strikes On Israel

Advertisement

Details later…

AFP

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Headline

Tension Heightens As US, Britain , France, Others React To Iran Strikes On Israel

Published

on

Western powers condemned Iran’s strikes on Israel late Saturday, warning the attack threatened to escalate the destabilisation of the Middle East.

Here are some of the main reactions so far:

– United States: ‘ironclad’

Advertisement

US National Security Council spokesperson Adrienne Watson reiterated President Joe Biden’s “ironclad” support for Israel’s security.

“The United States will stand with the people of Israel and support their defense against these threats from Iran,” she said in a statement.

READ ALSO: Over 300 Drones, Missiles Fired From Iran Injured 12, Says Israel Army

She said “President Biden is being regularly updated on the situation.”

Advertisement

– EU: ‘unprecedented’

The European Union’s foreign affairs chief Josep Borrell condemned the strikes as “an unprecedented escalation and a grave threat to regional security,” in a message on X.

– Britain: ‘reckless’

UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak in a statement condemned the “reckless” strikes that he said “risk inflaming tensions and destabilising the region. Iran has once again demonstrated that it is intent on sowing chaos in its own backyard.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO: III World War Looms As US Openly Supports Israel, Downs Drones Fired By Iran

– France: ‘new level’

France’s Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne on X said that “in deciding to take this unprecedented action, Iran has reached a new level in its acts of destabilisation and is risking a military escalation.”

– Italy: ‘concern’

Advertisement

Italy’s Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said his country was following the situation “with attention and concern” and was “ready to manage any kind of scenario”.

AFP

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Headline

III World War Looms As US Openly Supports Israel, Downs Drones Fired By Iran

Published

on

President Joe Biden said Saturday that US forces helped take down “nearly all” the drones and missiles fired by Iran at Israel, adding that he had reaffirmed his “ironclad” support to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Biden added in a statement that he would convene his fellow leaders of the G7 group of wealthy nations on Sunday to coordinate a “united diplomatic response” to Iran’s “brazen” attack.

“Iran — and its proxies operating out of Yemen, Syria and Iraq — launched an unprecedented air attack against military facilities in Israel. I condemn these attacks in the strongest possible terms,” Biden said.

Advertisement

He said he had ordered US military aircraft and ballistic missile defense destroyers to the Middle East in recent days as the likely Iranian threat to the key US ally became clear.

READ ALSO: Over 300 Drones, Missiles Fired From Iran Injured 12, Says Israel Army

Thanks to these deployments and the extraordinary skill of our servicemembers, we helped Israel take down nearly all of the incoming drones and missiles,” Biden said.

Biden added that he had spoken to Netanyahu to “reaffirm America’s ironclad commitment” to Israel’s security.

Advertisement

“I told him that Israel demonstrated a remarkable capacity to defend against and defeat even unprecedented attacks — sending a clear message to its foes that they cannot effectively threaten the security of Israel,” he said.

No US forces or facilities had come under attack from Iran, he said.

AFP

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending