Headline
Uromi: Edo Speaker Attributes Attack To Lack On Intelligence, Porous Nature Of Town
Published
4 years agoon
By
Editor
The Speaker, Edo State House of Assembly, Hon Marcus Onobun, has attributed the ease with which armed robbers attacked banks in Uromi, Esan North-East Local Government Area in a coordinated manner to lack on intelligence by security agencies and the porous nature of the town.
Robbers numbering about twenty in a coordinated manner invaded four banks in the town on Thursday, killed seven persons including two policemen and also attacked the Area Police Command in the town.
Onobun, while speaking on national television, which was monitored in Benin City, also said he in the company of the state Deputy Governor, Comrade Philip Shaibu would be visiting the area for the on-the-spot assessment.
While commiserating with the families of those who lost their lives, he said “What happened yesterday came to us as a rude shock. It’s what one could best describe as an invasion. And with what we have seen, the pictorial evidence and some videos that have been around on social media, it’s quite unfortunate.
“With what I saw, even though we’ve not been properly briefed, about what actually happened, you could see that the security was overwhelmed. And it’s quite unfortunate that such an incident could be carried out without any formal intelligence to the various security agencies, because I don’t think that such an action was just planned overnight, because you have these criminals numbering over 20 with various vehicles and all sophisticated weapons and all of that.”
Onobun added: “And also considering the location of the financial institutions and the area; yes, it is quite porous because we have a boundary with Delta State, and of course, there are some other routes to some riverine areas; the Illushi where you have the River Niger. However, we must now be talking about how to forestall future occurrences of this incidence.
“Myself and His Excellency, the deputy governor, will be visiting the scene today to get first-hand information as to what really happened, and how to curtail future occurrences, it’s quite unfortunate, and it’s so scary.”
READ ALSO: BREAKING: Armed Robbers Lay Coordinated, Simultaneous Attacks On Uromi Banks
Speaking on the capacity of the police which station was said to be close to one of the affected banks, Onobun said: “For the local government where this thing happened, Esan North East, it’s one of the most populous local governments we have in Edo Central, and they have a standard police station, so we expect that they have all the required equipment.
“From what we were told, the police station was also attacked. So, these are part of the investigation that the security agencies have to carry out.
“There are so many questions that are begging for answers to know those who conspired to see that this attempt to raid the people were successful; we also need to know how those people got into town that the security agencies were unable to pick on them, and they drove freely, and all of that. So, these are questions that are begging for answers.”
The Speaker called on the government at all levels to increase their vigilance so as to check future occurrence of such incidents even as he called on security agencies to use the available pictorial evidence and videos to fish out the culprits.
“I want to believe, with what we have in place, the security architecture that had been set up by the state, we would be able to track these people down as well as bring them to justice,” he said.
You may like
Headline
Trump Administration Proposes New Rule Limiting Nigerians, Others
Published
13 hours agoon
August 28, 2025By
Editor
The Trump administration has unveiled a proposal that would restrict the length of time international students can remain in the United States for their studies.
According to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the regulation, which is expected to be published on Thursday, would impose a four-year cap on student visas and other categories of temporary admissions.
According to Fox News, the DHS said the proposal is part of efforts to curb “visa abuse” and strengthen the government’s ability to “properly vet and oversee these individuals.”
READ ALSO:Why I Plotted President Trump’s Assassination – 50-yr-old Woman
It added that some students have “taken advantage of U.S. generosity” and become “forever” students by staying enrolled in colleges to prolong their residence.
“For too long, past Administrations have allowed foreign students and other visa holders to remain in the U.S. virtually indefinitely, posing safety risks, costing untold amount of taxpayer dollars, and disadvantaging U.S. citizens,” a DHS spokesperson stated.
“This new proposed rule would end that abuse once and for all by limiting the amount of time certain visa holders are allowed to remain in the U.S., easing the burden on the federal government to properly oversee foreign students and their history,” the spokesperson continued.
Currently, F visa holders may stay in the U.S. for the “duration of status,” meaning the period they are enrolled full-time. The new proposal would allow stays for the length of a programme but would not permit them to exceed four years, generally less than the time needed for postgraduate studies.
READ ALSO:Trump, Putin Make No Breakthrough On Ukraine Deal, End Summit
Foreign journalists would also be affected. Under the plan, they would receive an initial admission period of 240 days, with the possibility of a single extension for another 240 days, but not longer than their assignment.
The DHS said regular assessments would provide “proper oversight” and help reduce the number of people residing in the U.S. on temporary visas.
But education experts warned the measure could hurt universities financially. International students typically pay higher tuition and have fewer opportunities for scholarships, which contributes significantly to the financial support of American colleges.
“It will certainly act as an additional deterrent to international students choosing to study in the United States, to the detriment of American economies, innovation, and global competitiveness,” Fanta Aw, executive director and CEO of NAFSA: Association of International Educators, said in a statement to Politico.
Headline
Russia Hits Ukraine With ‘Massive’ Deadly Overnight Strikes
Published
18 hours agoon
August 28, 2025By
Editor
Russian forces launched a “massive” attack on Kyiv on Thursday, hitting the Ukrainian capital with strikes that killed at least four people and wounded around 30 others, Ukrainian officials said.
The attack came as Moscow and Kyiv traded blame over an impasse in diplomatic efforts towards a peace deal spearheaded by US President Donald Trump.
AFP journalists in Kyiv witnessed powerful explosions that illuminated the night sky and left behind a column of smoke.
Ukraine’s Interior Minister Igor Klymenko said the strikes killed four people and wounded “about 30 people.”
READ ALSO:Russia Claims More Ukraine Land As Hopes For Summit Fade
Those killed included a 14-year-old girl, while five children aged seven to 17 were among those who sustained “injuries of varying severity,” Tymur Tkachenko, the head of the city’s military administration, said.
Mayor Vitali Klitschko described the strikes as a “massive attack” that caused damage in several districts of the capital.
Tkachenko said Moscow had fired ballistic and cruise missiles as well as Iranian-designed Shahed drones from different directions to “systematically” target residential buildings.
Red tracer bullets sailed through the night sky in an effort to intercept drones above the city centre, an AFP journalist saw. At least one missile appeared to be shot down.
READ ALSO:Again, Russia Claims Another Village In Ukraine’s Region
Around 100 people took refuge in a subway station, with some lying in sleeping bags and others holding their pets.
A five-story building in the Darnytsky district had collapsed, and a shopping mall was hit in the city centre, Klitschko reported.
– Ukrainian attacks on Russia –
Kyiv suffered one of its worst attacks of the over three-year war on July 31, leaving more than 30 people dead including five children.
Ukrainian officials also reported a Russian strike in the southeastern Zaporizhzhia region on Thursday.
READ ALSO:Russia, Ukraine Exchange Prisoners Of War, Civilians
Russian authorities said they destroyed over 100 Ukrainian drones overnight. A Ukrainian attack sparked a fire at an oil refinery in the Krasnodar region but caused no casualties, according to local officials.
Russian forces have been slowly but steadily gaining ground in Ukraine in recent months, as diplomatic efforts have accelerated.
Trump held a high-profile summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Alaska this month, followed by a meeting with his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelensky and European allies.
But there has been little progress since then.
Before concluding any peace agreement, Ukraine wants security guarantees from the West to deter any future Russian attacks.
READ ALSO:Russian Politicians Mock European Leaders After White House, Ukraine Talks
Moscow has cast Kyiv’s demands as unrealistic and has raised particular objection to the notion of stationing Western peacekeeping troops in Ukraine.
Zelensky said on Wednesday that members of his administration would meet with US officials in New York on Friday.
The Ukrainian leader said he saw “very arrogant and negative signals from Moscow regarding the negotiations”, urging extra “pressure” to “force Russia to take real steps”.
AFP
Headline
Two US Pastors Arrested In $50m Human Trafficking, Fraud Case
Published
18 hours agoon
August 28, 2025By
Editor
Two church leaders in the United States have been arrested in an alleged multi-million-dollar conspiracy after multiple Federal Bureau of Investigation raids across the country on Wednesday, including one in Hillsborough County’s exclusive Avila neighborhood.
In a statement issued via its website on Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Justice said Michelle Brannon, 56, was arrested at a mansion near Tampa, while David Taylor, 53, was arrested in North Carolina over allegations of multi-million dollar money laundering, forced labour and human trafficking.
According to the DOJ, Taylor and Brannon are the leaders of Kingdom of God Global Church, formerly known as Joshua Media Ministries International.
The Justice Department said Taylor referred to himself as “Apostle” and to Brannon as his Executive Director.
FBI officials said law enforcement arrested Brannon early Wednesday at 706 Guisando De Avila in Hillsborough County, which is owned by the church, according to property records.
READ ALSO:Suspected Cultists Invade Rivers Compound, Rob Students, Residents
Investigators arrested Taylor on Wednesday morning in North Carolina, while SWAT and FBI agents also raided a hotel owned by the church in Houston.
A 10-count indictment alleged that Taylor and Brannon ran call centres in Florida, Texas, Missouri, and Michigan to solicit donations to the church.
The pair convinced their victims to work at the call centres and work for Taylor as personal servants – referred to as “armour bearers” – for long hours without pay, according to the indictment.
Federal investigators said Taylor and Brannon “controlled every aspect of the daily living of their victims,” who slept at the call centre or in a “ministry” house and were not allowed to leave without permission.
The indictment also says the suspects forced the victims to transport women to Taylor and ensure that those women took Plan B emergency contraceptives.
READ ALSO:US Court Fines Nigerian Blogger $50,000 For Defaming MFM G.O.
The church received about $50 million in donations through its call centres dating back to 2014, according to the DOJ.
Taylor and Brannon are accused of using much of that money to buy luxury properties, luxury vehicles, and sporting equipment such as boats, jet skis, and ATVs.
Taylor and Brannon face charges of forced labour, conspiracy to commit forced labour, and conspiracy to commit money laundering.
Each alleged crime carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in federal prison.
A federal grand jury in the Eastern District of Michigan returned a 10-count indictment against two defendants for their alleged roles in a forced labour and money laundering conspiracy that victimised individuals in Michigan, Florida, Texas, and Missouri.
READ ALSO:US Court Rules Twitter Breached Contract Over Failure To Pay Bonuses
Assistant Attorney General Harmeet Dhillon of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division said the two defendants were arrested in North Carolina and Florida in a nationwide takedown of their forced labour organistion.
“Combating human trafficking is a top priority for the Department of Justice.
“We are committed to relentlessly pursuing and ending this scourge and obtaining justice for the victims,” he said.
Also speaking, U.S. Attorney Jerome Gorgon Jr. for the Eastern District of Michigan, said, “We will use every lawful tool against human traffickers and seek justice for their victims.
“A case like this is only possible through a concerted effort with our federal partners across the country and the non-governmental agencies who provide victim support. We thank them all.”
READ ALSO:US Court Fixes Date For Sentencing Cyber Fraudster, Hushpuppi
“The indictment of David Taylor and Michelle Brannon demonstrates the FBI’s steadfast efforts to protect the American people from human exploitation and financial crimes, including forced labour and money laundering.
“The alleged actions are deeply troubling. I want to thank the members of the FBI Detroit Field Office, with strong support from our federal and agency partners in the FBI Tampa Field Office, FBI Jacksonville Field Office, FBI St. Louis Field Office, FBI Charlotte Field Office, FBI Houston Field Office, and the Detroit IRS-CI Field Office, in addition to several local, county and state law enforcement partners, for their role in executing this multi-state operation.
“The FBI in Michigan will continue to investigate those who violate federal law and remain focused on ensuring the protection and safety of our nation,” said Acting Special Agent in Charge Reuben Coleman of the FBI Detroit Field Office.
“Money laundering is tax evasion in progress, and in this case, the proceeds funded an alleged human trafficking ring and supported a luxury lifestyle under the guise of a religious ministry.
“IRS-CI stands committed to fighting human trafficking and labor exploitation, and pursuing those who hide their profits gained from the extreme victimization of the vulnerable,” said Special Agent in Charge Karen Wingerd of IRS Criminal Investigation, Detroit Field Office.
READ ALSO:My Husband Fought, Abandoned Me Cos’ I’m Barren, Woman Tells Court
According to the DOJ, conspiracy to commit forced labour carries up to 20 years’ imprisonment and a fine up to $250,000, while forced labour carries up to 20 years’ imprisonment and a fine up to $250,000.
It noted that conspiracy to commit money laundering carries up to 20 years’ imprisonment and a fine up to $500,000 or twice the value of the properties involved in the money laundering transactions.
It was gathered that Brannon appeared in federal court in Tampa on Wednesday afternoon, but an attorney for Brannon wasn’t present.
A judge asked where her attorney was and whether she had representation.
Brannon told the judge that she had two private attorneys, out of St. Louis and Oklahoma, who were already working with them. However, she said she hadn’t heard from either of them.
The judge said the attorneys were not able to be reached through the phone numbers provided to federal prosecutors. It’s not clear if Brannon has legal representation at this point.
The judge continued Brannon’s hearing to Thursday afternoon. He instructed Brannon to find an attorney in the Tampa area in the meantime.
- Edo Sports Commission Boss Celebrates Okpehbolo On Birthday
- Oba Of Benin Suspends Palace Chiefs
- Lawyers Fault EFCC Statement, Say It’s Misleading
- Tricycle Riders Sentenced To Five Years Over WhatsApp Group Mobilising Protest Against Nigerian Gov
- Ebonyi Raises Minimum Wage From N70,000 To N90,000
- Trump Administration Proposes New Rule Limiting Nigerians, Others
- Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
- Police Arrest Ex-Soldier, Four Others Over Armed Robbery, Kidnapping In Anambra
- Enugu Vigilantes Beat Young Man To Death Over Alleged Stealing Of Woman’s Clothes
- BREAKING: Former Customs Comptroller-General, Ahmed Aliyu Mustapha, Is Dead
Trending
- News5 days ago
DSS Issues Warning, Arrests Man For Circulating Fake Recruitment Materials
- Politics4 days ago
[BREAKING] Edo: APC Suspends Ex-senatorial Aspirant Of Party
- Politics5 days ago
2027: You Will Lose 80% Of Northern Muslim Votes If…, APC Forum Warns Tinubu
- News3 days ago
NAFDAC Warns Of Fake Postinor-2 In Circulation
- Politics5 days ago
Primate Ayodele Releases Fresh Prophecies On FIRS, FAAN, Others
- Headline4 days ago
US Comedian Reggie Carroll Shot Dead In Mississippi
- Metro4 days ago
UNIZIK Suspends Doctors, Nurses, Security Personnel Over 100-level Student’s Death
- News5 days ago
‘Na Only People You Gave Work Love You,’ Singer Speed Darlington Tells Tinubu
- Headline4 days ago
US Defends New Social Media Vetting For Nigerian Visa Applicants
- Politics3 days ago
PDP Zones 2027 Presidential Ticket To South