News
US Envoy, Minister Address Visa Policy Changes, Urge Compliance

The United States Ambassador to Nigeria, Ambassador Richard Mills, and the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Idris Mohammed, on Friday addressed the recent changes to US visa policies and jointly called for increased awareness and compliance among Nigerian citizens.
The US had earlier imposed tighter visa restrictions on Nigerians. It revised its visa reciprocity schedule for Nigeria, limiting the validity of certain non-immigrant visas — including B1/B2 (business and tourism), F (student), and J (exchange visitor) categories — to just three months with single-entry access.
Speaking during a press briefing in Abuja, Mills clarified that the new visa measures announced by the US Mission are not punitive, but rather part of a global effort to tighten security, enhance service delivery, and ensure compliance with US immigration laws.
READ ALSO:FULL LIST: Ghana Releases Identities Of Helicopter Crash Victims
“Myself and the minister just had a very useful and productive discussion about US visa laws and how to communicate to the Nigerian people the importance of compliance with US visa laws,” Mills said.
The envoy underscored the enduring and strategic relationship between the two countries, emphasising that the US continues to welcome Nigerians for study, business, tourism, medical visits, and family reunions—but with the clear expectation that visitors respect visa regulations.
“Let me be clear, the United States values its very strong relationship with Nigeria and the many kinds of connections that exist between our two countries.
“US visas play a vital role in keeping these countries going and strengthening them
“Both governments want visitors to respect our national laws and regulations,” the ambassador said.
READ ALSO:Your View Host, Morayo Brown, Resigns From TVC
Mills warned that visa misuse—such as overstaying or providing inaccurate information—undermines trust and can lead to severe personal consequences, including deportation or a lifetime travel ban.
“If you overstay, it can result in deportation and a lifetime ban on future travel to the US, which we don’t want to see Nigerian citizens face,” he said.
He urged applicants to be honest and transparent, stressing that “visa compliance is a cornerstone of mutual trust and respect between our two nations.”
Addressing concerns about the processing system, Mills revealed that the recent changes reflect the US administration’s security-focused review of global visa operations.
He noted that the US government requires more rigorous background checks, including access to Nigerian criminal records, to ensure applicants are properly vetted.
READ ALSO:Full List Of Schengen Countries Offering 5-yr Visa Programme
“We needed to address some of the security vulnerabilities that we saw in our visa processing.
“The Nigerian government is working to find a mechanism so that we can have a better understanding of who’s before us when they apply for a visa,” Mills explained.
In addition, the ambassador stressed that compliance also applies to student visa holders.
“If you skip classes, if you leave your programme of study without informing your school, your student visa could be revoked,” he warned.
He concluded by encouraging Nigerians to visit the US embassy website for official guidance and support.
READ ALSO:US Visa Adjudication Sparks Concerns Over Diplomatic Relations
“If you have any questions about our visa regulations or policies, don’t hesitate to go to our website. All Nigerians have access to it,” the envoy added.
The minister, in his remarks, praised the US embassy for taking the initiative to clarify its position directly with the Nigerian public.
“This brings me to believe that we need to come together at times like this to have a common position so that Nigerians can be better informed about what we do,” he said.
The minister described Nigerians as global travellers who frequent the United States more than almost any other destination and emphasised the importance of clear, accessible information about visa processes.
“Nigerians visit almost all parts of the world, and because we engage and we travel a lot, we feel that it is necessary to have information shared with us from time to time as it affects the travels amongst our people,” he said.
READ ALSO:US Visa Adjudication Sparks Concerns Over Diplomatic Relations
Mohammed reaffirmed that the ministry will continue to work closely with the US Mission to ensure transparency, understanding, and public education on all consular issues.
“Let me recognise the mutual respect and partnership between Nigeria and the United States and its embassy to keep Nigerian travellers well informed about its visa and consular services,” he said.
He also dismissed the notion that the new visa processes were discriminatory, quoting the ambassador.
“Before coming to this office, we had engagements with Amb Mills, and what he has told me is that this is in no way punitive. It’s just to enhance service delivery between the two countries.”
The minister echoed the US position on the importance of complying with host country laws and urged Nigerians to uphold the country’s image abroad.
READ ALSO:Venezuelan Deportees: US Embassy Gives Reason For Reducing Visa Validity For Nigerians
“When someone comes into Nigeria, we expect that person to also comply with our laws here. So what I want to say here is that Nigerians must continue to demonstrate, as they do, a better sense of patriotism about their country and also show better compliance with not just our laws, but laws of other countries,” he said.
Mohammed added that the renewed engagement with the US mission reflects the Federal Government’s “New Hope Agenda,” aimed at fostering partnerships that benefit Nigerians at home and abroad.
“This is a new way of forging a better partnership and collaboration between the two countries.
“And the more we engage, the better it is for the two nations,” he said.
“The most important thing is that we remain two countries trying to forge better relationships for the benefit of both nations,” the minister concluded.
(PUNCH)
News
N200b Agric Credit Dispute: Appeal Court Slams NAIC, Upholds First Bank Victory
The Court of Appeal, Abuja, has dismissed the appeal filed by the Nigerian Agricultural Insurance Corporation (NAIC) against First Bank of Nigeria in the long-running dispute over the disbursement of the Federal Government’s N200 billion Commercial Agriculture Credit Scheme.
The decision was one of seven precedent-setting judgments delivered in six hours on Friday by Justice Okon Abang, underscoring his reputation as a hardworking, firm, and uncompromisingly principled jurist whose rulings continue to shape Nigeria’s legal landscape across criminal, human rights, banking, and civil litigation.
In 2013, the NAIC dragged First Bank before the Federal High Court via originating summons, alleging that the bank failed to deduct the mandatory 2.5 per cent premium under the agriculture credit scheme. First Bank promptly filed a counter-affidavit and written address, with both sides joining issues and exchanging further processes over the years.
But when the case was ripe for hearing, NAIC sought to suddenly withdraw its suit—claiming an unnamed Bankers’ Committee representative had approached it for an out-of-court settlement.
READ ALSO:Court Dismisses SPDC’s Objections To Compensation Over Hydrocarbon Pollution In A’Ibom
First Bank objected, insisting that once pleadings had been exchanged, withdrawal without consent should lead to dismissal, not a mere striking out. To strike out, the bank argued, would allow NAIC a second bite at the cherry—an abuse of process.
The Federal High Court agreed and dismissed the suit, prompting NAIC to head to the Court of Appeal.
Delivering the unanimous judgment of the Court of Appeal, Justice Abang held that NAIC’s appeal was “grossly misconceived” and that, having seen the bank’s defence, NAIC attempted to retreat and re-strategise, “only being smart, believing that it could cunningly manipulate judicial proceedings to save a suit that appears weak and manifestly unsupported.”
He stressed that, once a defendant’s counter-affidavit has been served, any withdrawal by the claimant must naturally lead to dismissal, not striking out, to avoid overreaching the respondent.
READ ALSO:N6trn: Court Orders Tinubu To Publish NDDC Audit Report, Name Indicted Officials
Justice Abang agreed with the trial court that, “Since issues have been joined and the matter has previously been adjourned on several occasions, the proper order to make on the application of the plaintiff is to dismiss the suit.”
The Court of Appeal also questioned NAIC’s reliance on an alleged intervention by the Bankers’ Committee—a non-party that had earlier resisted being joined in the matter.
The appellate court concluded that NAIC, having sighted the bank’s counter-affidavit, simply lost confidence in its case and sought a “soft landing” to refile later.
READ ALSO:
“This cannot be allowed under our watch. The appellant cannot command the impossible,” Justice Abang held, agreeing with the decision of the Federal High Court and dismissing NAIC’s appeal in its entirety, affirming the lower court’s ruling and awarding N1 million costs in favour of First Bank.
The judgment revisits the implementation of the N200 billion Commercial Agriculture Credit Scheme (CACS) launched in 2009 and funded through a DMO-issued bond. The scheme was a flagship intervention of the CBN to boost agricultural productivity through low-interest financing capped at nine per cent.
(GUARDIAN)
News
Nigeria Records One Of Africa’s Widest Gaps In Policy Reputation Index
Nigeria has been identified as one of the African nations suffering the largest disconnect between policy delivery and citizen trust, a finding described as the “defining governance crisis” across the continent, according to the inaugural RPI African Policy Index 2025 released by Reputation Poll International (RPI).
The comprehensive Index, which evaluates governance and policy performance across all 54 African countries, places Nigeria in the middle tier of “Strugglers” with an overall score of 52.3. This category reflects nations that achieve partial policy results but fail to earn public confidence.
Drawing from hard data on policy implementation and perception surveys involving over 25,000 Africans, the report shows that Nigeria records one of the continent’s widest Trust Gaps, sometimes exceeding 25 points between objective performance and citizen confidence.
The report flags Nigeria alongside South Africa, Angola, Egypt, and Zimbabwe as countries with the most severe mismatches.
READ ALSO:Why I Returned To Nigeria On Ivorian Jet — Jonathan
In Nigeria, anti-corruption laws and other initiatives score reasonably well on paper but fail to inspire public trust due to perceived elite impunity and inconsistent enforcement.
Similar patterns exist across these nations, where oil wealth, infrastructure spending, and progressive legislation do not convince ordinary citizens that governments genuinely serve their interests. This trust deficit is highlighted as Africa’s core governance challenge.
The Index emphasises that without deliberate measures to close the gap—through transparent data, citizen audits, and visible accountability—policy ambitions alone cannot produce stable or legitimate outcomes.
By contrast, a small group of nations scoring above 70 demonstrate that world-class governance is achievable when delivery is matched by citizen belief.
READ ALSO:Nigerian Army Promotes 28 Brigadier Generals, 77 Colonels
Mauritius leads with 78.9, followed by Seychelles at 76.4, Cabo Verde at 74.8, and Botswana at 73.2. These countries excel because strong economic management, high vaccination rates, transparent institutions, and consistent progress in education and digital reforms are reinforced by equally high public trust.
Botswana and Mauritius succeed not because they are wealthy, but because they systematically include citizens in monitoring and feedback, narrowing the trust deficit to near zero.
Over half of Africa, however, remains far from this standard. The Strugglers tier (50–69.9) encompasses 30 countries, while 18 “Systemic Challengers” score below 50, from Sierra Leone at 49.2 to South Sudan at 28.4.
READ ALSO:Tinubu Constitutes Membership For US–Nigeria Security Working Group
In these countries, structural breakdowns, chronic insecurity, and collapsed legitimacy produce average Trust Gaps of 35 points, undermining even modest policy efforts amid daily experiences of violence and exclusion.
Central Africa records the lowest regional average at 41.2, while Southern Africa dominates the top tier. West, East, and North Africa deliver mixed results.
For Nigerian leadership, the Index sends a clear message: policy formulation alone is no longer sufficient. As the country grapples with debt, youth unemployment, and climate pressures, bridging the Trust Gap through better communication, transparency, and inclusive monitoring has become essential to achieve sustained development and restore public confidence.
The RPI African Policy Index 2025 stands as both a warning and a roadmap: unless the trust deficit is addressed, Africa’s governance crisis will only deepen.
(GUARDIAN)
News
‘My Father Discovered Banana Island’ – Ex-BBNaija Star Claims
Former Big Brother Naija reality star, Kiddwaya has claimed that his dad, Terry Waya, discovered the famous Banana Island in Lagos.
He made the claim in a recent of the Off The Record podcast.
The host asked: “I heard that your dad discovered Banana Island. Is that correct?”
READ ALSO:Moment Adekunle Gold Light Up BBNaija S10 Finale With ‘Party No Dey Stop’
Kiddwaya replied: “Yeah, I didn’t even know until I heard it during one of my trips.”
Kiddwaya’s dad, Terry Waya is a self-acclaimed billionaire with investments in the real estate, agriculture and hospitality industry.
His public profile was further boosted during and after his son Kiddwaya’s appearance on the Big Brother Naija reality show in 2020.
Watch video here.
-
Metro4 days ago
JUST IN: Again, Terrorists Storm Kwara Community, Kidnap Pregnant Woman, 10 Children, Others
-
News4 days ago
How To Access Your Pension Before Retirement
-
News3 days ago
BREAKING: Tinubu Declares Nationwide Security Emergency, Orders Armed Forces To Recruit More Personnel
-
Headline3 days ago
Coup In Guinea-Bissau? Soldiers Deployed Near Presidential Palace After Gunfire
-
Politics4 days ago
Crack In Edo APC As Group Accuses Party Chieftain Of Acting Opposition’s Script
-
News3 days ago
Tinubu Appoints Non-Career Ambassadors For US, UK, France
-
Metro3 days ago
BREAKING: Bandits Abduct Teenage Boy, Six Girls From FCT Community
-
Metro2 days ago
JUST IN: One Dead As Ngige Escapes Assassination
-
News2 days ago
Guinea-Bissau Coup: FG Gives Update On Ex-President Jonathan
-
News2 days ago
Okpebholo Fires EDOGIS Managing Director