Connect with us

Metro

US Returnee Tackles Airline Over Missing Luggage, Rejects $1,700 Compensation

Published

on

A lawyer, identified only as Abimbola, has lamented the loss of his property after he boarded a Delta Airline flight from Atlanta, United States of America, to Lagos.

Abimbola said efforts to recover the items since March 16, 2022, when the incident happened, had been abortive, alleging negligence on the side of the airline.

Advertisement

PUNCH Metro gathered that the legal practitioner and his wife travelled from Newark to Lagos via Atlanta.

The couple were reportedly requested to check in their carry-on luggage by the airline staff because the flight was fully booked without space in the aircraft cabin for loads.

The duo were said to have hesitated in releasing the luggage, but eventually dropped it with the Delta baggage handlers.

Advertisement

READ ALSO: 88-year-old Woman Narrates How Man Defrauded Her Of N36m

Abimbola, who was travelling with his wife for his 60th birthday celebration in Lagos, stated that he observed that his items were missing when he arrived in Lagos.

He listed the lost items to include a black Louis Vuitton cross-body vintage bag gifted to him by his wife for his 50th birthday, a pair of Versace transition sunglasses, another pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses, a Movado wristwatch, two Apple laptops, an Apple CD loader, Apple air pods, a box with gold jewellery and other acquisitions.

Advertisement

He noted that he initially suspected the driver assigned to carry his family’s load from the airport.

On March 20, 2022, I lodged a formal complaint at a local police station (Maroko Police Station) in Lagos and a police detective, Mrs Awe, was assigned to investigate it. This was because our entire luggage was in his (driver’s) custody.

“After the questioning, we concluded that there was merely circumstantial evidence, which did not establish any sufficient wrongdoing on the part of the driver,” he added.

Advertisement

Abimbola stated that he made further attempts by tracking his stolen Airpods with his US phone to a private house 10 minutes away from the Atlanta airport.

Upon the discovery, the lawyer said attempts to reach the Delta airline were abortive.

He said after several attempts to reach the airline’s help desk in Atlanta also failed, an official of the aviation company, identified as Tracy Adkins, contacted him.

Advertisement

The lawyer said, “She called me again the second time on the same day and we spoke at length during which she dropped a hint that regardless of whatever claim I may submit, the maximum compensation Delta will offer is $1,700.

“This is a slap on my face, a violation of my person and an assault on my dignity.”

Abimbola told PUNCH Metro that some of the items had “sentimental value” and that if he was flying to London as a British citizen, he would have been treated with more respect.

Advertisement

His lawyer, Akinwale Akintomiwa, said he would sue for damages on behalf of his client.

He said, “We are still putting our facts together and preparing the court processes. We have yet to file the matter in court. We will write a formal letter of demand stating that he (the victim) should be fully compensated rather than the meagre sum of $1,700 which Delta offered. “

Akintomiwa stated that the case would be taken seriously because of the perceived discrimination on the part of the airline.

Advertisement

He said, “From the facts of this case, there is absolutely no gainsaying the fact that the airline is liable for this egregious breach. The airline is in clear breach of the contract to transport him and his goods to Lagos safely and they are liable. The principle of law is that where there is a wrong, there must be a remedy. Ubi jus ubi remedium.”

The lawyer said Abimbola might be seeking various reliefs from the court, including an order compelling the company to pay the sum of N17,751,000 and the sum of 5,000,000 as general damages for the loss of the valuables.

The Director, Corporate Communications, Delta Airline, Olivia Cullis, in an e-mail to the media consultant of the airline, which was shared with PUNCH Metro, stated that the company had investigated the incident.

Advertisement

She said, “Delta works to put our customers front and centre of our business every day. We launched an internal investigation into this incident and responded to the Department of Transportation following the customer’s complaint. The response included Delta making a settlement directly with the customer, which adheres to guidelines set by the Montreal Convention.”

READ ALSO: War: We’re At Critical Juncture – NATO

Efforts to reach the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, on the incident via calls and text messages were abortive.

Advertisement

Despite repeated attempts, our correspondent did not get any response as of the time of filing this report.

PUNCH.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Metro

Ogun Police Confirm Report On Lady Allegedly Used For Ritual

Published

on

By

The Ogun State Police Command has confirmed the report of a young mentally unstable lady who stripped herself and barked like a dog in Abeokuta, the state capital.

The State Police Spokesman, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said this in a statement on Friday.

Advertisement

He said the command was aware of the report of the yet-to-be-identified lady who might have been diabolically used for money ritual by a suspected internet fraudster, known as ‘yahoo boy.’

Oyeyemi said, “the young lady in question was alleged to have been spiritually and diabolically used by a suspected yahoo boy, as a result of which she started barking like a dog.”

The PPRO added that the victim, who was taken to the police without any clothes on her, became “very difficult to control because she was acting violently, hence she was kept in the cell.”

Advertisement

Oyeyemi said the police had immediately contacted her parents, saying she was taken to the hospital with the help of the police.

He said that “the alleged Yahoo boy was immediately arrested for interrogation,” adding that the case which brought a large crowd to the station, was later transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department on the directive of the Commissioner of Police, CP Lanre Bankole.

READ ALSO: Seven Remanded In Prison Over Cult Killings In Benin

Advertisement

However, Oyeyemi said the command was surprised and embarrassed to see the video of the victim circulating on social media.

He said, “the height of the embarrassment was the fact that the said video was recorded while the victim, who was then naked and uncontrollable, was in police cell.

“In view of this, the Commissioner of Police, CP Lanre Bankole has ordered a full scale investigation to unravel the source of the video and how it became a subject of social media discussion.

Advertisement

“It is barbaric, uncivilised and despicable circulating such video on social media as such will in no small measure denigrate the human dignity of the victim which might be another source of psychological trauma for her.

“The Command has therefore vowed to deal with whoever found to be the source of the video and those behind its circulation on social media in the most decisive manner notwithstanding the status of the person.”

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Metro

How Pregnant Woman, 9-months Baby, Grandmother Mysteriously Die In Osun Hospital

Published

on

By

A pregnant woman, Basirat Anifowose, 28; mother-in-law, Rasidat Mufutau 60; and a nine-month-old baby, Abdulramon Afolabi were mysteriously found dead in a hospital at Ofatedo, Osogbo, Osun State.

DAILY POST learnt that the four persons slept in the same hospital room and three of them did not wake.

Advertisement

The incident happened on Tuesday in Osogbo.

The mother of the 9-month-old baby, Fatima Afolabi, 30, who also slept in the same room with the deceased only woke up on Tuesday.

Anifowose, a six-month-old pregnant woman, was a mother of three.

Advertisement

It was gathered that the mother-in-law was sick and admitted into the hospital owned and operated by a pastor, Olaniyi Taiwo, 42, of a Cherubim and Seraphim church.

The 60-old-woman was diagnosed and was been treated with diabetes and cough last Thursday while her nursing daughter, Fatima and her pregnant daughter-in-law were taken care of in the hospital.

READ ALSO: Peter Obi Kicks As Supporter Prints His Image On Praying Mat

Advertisement

Taiwo who is a founder of Ona Iwa Mimo, Cherubim and Seraphim behind Olofa Grammar School, Ofatedo, Osogbo also operates the hospital in the same compound.

According to Fatima while speaking with DAILY POST, the pastor gave them a local black soap to bathe on Monday evening.

“He gave us a local black soap to bath my son, my mother who is sick, the brother’s wife but ordered me not to use the soap.

Advertisement

“I slept on a chair, I noticed my son is not breathing when I woke and quickly call the doctor to check him and he confirmed to me that he is dead, that was when we noticed others, my mother and my brother’s wife were dead too,” Fatima told this medium.

Also, speaking, Olalekan Anifowose, the husband of a deceased pregnant woman said he had paid N65,000 out of N90,000 requested by the doctor for his mother’s treatment.

Anifowose said he left his wife to sleep in the hospital with her mother while he was taking care of her children.

Advertisement

Confirming the incident for the Police, SP Yemisi Opalola said the suspects, Taiwo and his wife, Kemi, 28, have been arrested.

She said the suspects have made some confessions which have helped police in making some other arrests too.

READ ALSO: Three Injured As Hoodlums Disrupt PVC Collection In Osun

Advertisement

“Investigation is ongoing, the suspects have made some confession which is aiding police investigation and making another arrest,” she said.

DAILY POST

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Metro

Hundreds Of Students Escape Death In Enugu School Fire

Published

on

By

Hundreds of students of the Peaceland College of Education, Enugu escaped death by whiskers on Thursday, when fire gutted some parts of the school’s female hostel.

The institution is located opposite the Matured Students Programme of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology, near the popular Nkpokiti junction, at Independence Layout, Enugu.

Advertisement

Many students were said to have sustained injuries when students were scampering to different directions as confusion engulfed the premises.

However, there are conflicting accounts as to what triggered the fire.

While some said it was caused by power surge some said a student left an electrical appliance on and went to class.

Advertisement

Though no life was lost in the inferno, it was gathered from some staff of the college that the fire destroyed the roofs, ceilings, windows, beddings among others, at the top floor worth over N30 million.

READ ALSO: Tension In Ondo Over Alleged Plan By Bandits To Attack Community

The fire, it was gathered also destroyed some certificates and other credentials of the students.

Advertisement

Some lecturers who spoke to correspondent on condition of anonymity, said save for timely intervention of men of the Enugu State Fire Service the fire would have razed down the entire hostel and other classroom blocks.

One of the lecturers’ said that the fire started on the top floor of one of the major hostel blocks destroyed ND certificates and other credentials of the students.

A student who gave her name as Chinwe Odo said, “We were in our different classes when we suddenly heard the sound of explosion and when we went out to find out, we saw fire coming out from one of the rooms in the hostel.

Advertisement

“Some of us, especially HND students came to school with our OND Certificates because we were told that there would be verification by people from Abuja. Those certificates were razed by the fire”.

However, a senior staff of the college, who preferred anonymity, told journalists that the destruction in the school was huge.

Though, no student was in the room where the fire started, but we suspect that somebody might have plugged a device and forgot to put it off.

Advertisement

“As a result, we lost a lot. The roofing, the ceilings, a lot of things up there. In fact we cannot put a figure to the destruction. But we really lost property worth over N30 million to that fire.

READ ALSO: Why I Was Unable To Implement Confab Report – Jonathan

“But we thank the men of the Enugu State Fire Service. Without them, the entire buildings here would have gone into the flames”, the staff said.

Advertisement

At the time of filing this report, the school authority had yet to issue a statement on the incident.

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending