Connect with us

Metro

Woman Killed, Five Others Injured In Imo Market Explosion

Published

on

A landmine has killed a market woman, Mrs Ngozi Umeh and injured five others after it detonated inside the Eke Ubaheze Market Square, Awo-Idemili in Orsu Local Government Area of Imo State.

The explosion occurred at 2:40 pm on Tuesday while trading activities were going on at the market, killing one woman, Mrs Ngozi Umeh, from Ubaheze village, after she stepped on a planted landmine though locals said it was two people who died from the explosion.

The Imo State police spokesperson, Henry Okoye, explained to The PUNCH, on Wednesday, that the landmine was planted by suspected members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra and Eastern Security Network.

Advertisement

Okoye who confirmed the incident to our correspondent said Mrs Umeh was rushed immediately to the hospital where she gave up the ghost adding that the five injured persons are currently receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital.

READ ALSO: Gunmen Kill Driver, Kidnap Passengers In Imo

According to him, the state Commissioner of Police, Aboki Danjuma, upon receipt of the incident, immediately deployed operatives from the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit who swept the area for yet-to-be-identified explosives and after screening, declared the place safe.

Advertisement

Okoye said normal business activities had resumed under increased police surveillance.

He said, “Preliminary investigation revealed that the explosion occurred when Ngozi Umeh ‘F’, a middle-aged woman from Ubaheze village, stepped on a landmine suspected to have been planted by IPOB/ESN terrorist. She was critically injured and later confirmed dead at the hospital, while five others sustained varying degrees of injuries and are receiving medical attention.

“Upon receipt of the distress call, the Commissioner of Police, Imo State Command, Aboki Danjuma, swiftly deployed operatives of the command’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit, tactical teams, and personnel from Orsu and Orlu Divisions to cordon off the area, evacuate victims, and sweep the market vicinity for any other planted IEDs. The area has since been declared safe, and normal activities have resumed under enhanced security surveillance.”

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Imo Women Protest Forceful Takeover Of Their Land By State Govt

Meanwhile, the Imo police boss, Danjuma, has commiserated with the family of Mrs Umeh and prayed for the quick recovery of the injured victims.

He however restated the commitment of the Imo State Police Command to weed out all criminals threatening the peace of Orsu and Imo State as a whole.

Advertisement

The police spokesperson assured the state that adequate security measures had been put in place against a recurrence adding that they should go about their lawful activities.

Furthermore, he called on Imo people to strongly report any suspicious items, persons, or movements to the nearest police station or via the Command’s emergency number 08034773600.

Also, the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the State Criminal Investigation Department has been directed to commence a comprehensive investigation to unmask and apprehend the perpetrators.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments

Metro

Violence Rocks APC Reps Primary In Ekiti Ward, Exercise Declared Inconclusive

Published

on

Chaos erupted at the All Progressives Congress, APC, primary for Ward 10, Fajuyi Pavilion, Ado Local Government Area of Ekiti State on Saturday.

Electoral officials halted the process and declared it inconclusive after violence broke out among party supporters.

The primary pitted Olushola Fatoba against Tope Ogunleye, widely known as RST. Loyalists and agents of both aspirants had converged on Fajuyi Pavilion before voting was scheduled to begin.

Advertisement

According to eyewitnesses, tensions rose when suspected thugs allegedly backing Fatoba stormed the venue wielding canes and firearms. Their arrival appeared aimed at intimidating Ogunleye’s supporters and suppressing turnout.

READ ALSO:APC Clears Wike Loyalists, Disqualifies All Fubara-aligned Aspirants For State Assembly

Despite the hostile atmosphere, Ogunleye’s backers held their ground, chanting solidarity songs in support of their candidate. Voting eventually started under heavy tension.

Advertisement

Observers at the scene said Ogunleye seemed to have the larger share of support among members present, with his base visibly outnumbering the opposition.

Violence broke out after Fatoba’s camp allegedly sensed an imminent loss. Clashes between both groups forced an abrupt end to voting.

During the unrest, Ogunleye’s agent, Mr. Sunday, was assaulted. Another member, Mr. Femi Ogunleye, was reportedly beaten and his Tecno Spark 9 phone seized. A female supporter, Mrs. Oluwaseun Osamuwa, was also attacked and her Apple Smart Wrist Watch stolen. Both Mr. Femi Ogunleye and Mrs. Osamuwa sustained injuries and were rushed to hospital.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Rumblings In APC Over Aborted Deal With Lawmakers

As of press time, no winner had emerged and the Ward 10 primary remained inconclusive.

The violence has renewed concerns over thuggery and intimidation in internal party elections. Party members and political observers say the incident raises serious questions about voters’ ability to freely choose candidates without fear.

Advertisement

Stakeholders are calling on security agencies and electoral authorities to probe the disruption, ensure justice for those attacked, and safeguard the credibility of future primaries.

Continue Reading

Metro

My Wife Destroyed My Property, Instigated Our Children To Beat Me, Man Tells Court

Published

on

The Grade A Customary Court, Court 2, sitting in Mapo, Ibadan, Oyo State, has delivered judgment in a divorce suit filed by a man, Theophilus, against his wife, Aina, whom she accused of lack of affection, frequent quarrels, and domestic violence.

According to Theophilus, Aina was stubborn and always insisted on having things her own way.

He further said that she was disobedient and refused to listen to him.

Advertisement

The plaintiff also told the court that the defendant was hostile towards their friends and neighbours, which often led to conflicts between them.

READ ALSO:My Wife Attempted Suicide, Turned Our Children Against Me ‘Cos I Suddenly Became Poor —Husband

He further claimed that Aina was violent and would attack him with any object within her reach during disagreements.

Advertisement

In addition, he accused her of destroying his property whenever they had differences.

Theophilus also explained that Aina turned their children against him.

He stated that they assaulted him and damaged his belongings.

Advertisement

He told the court that he eventually left their home because he feared for his safety and believed that the defendant intended to harm him.

READ ALSO:My Husband Is A Figurehead, I Feed Our Five Children, Pay Their Fees

The plaintiff therefore appealed to the court to dissolve their marriage and also requested an order restraining Aina from threatening him or interfering with his privacy.

Advertisement

Aina was absent from court despite being served court summons.

Theophilus, while giving his testimony before the court, stated, “I have not enjoyed peace or rest of mind since I married my wife.

“I paid her bride price to her family, but they rejected it.

Advertisement

“My wife is far from being a virtuous woman.

“She was never submissive and was always full of herself.

READ ALSO:My Wife Of 22yrs Denies Me Sex —Husband

Advertisement

She had no respect for me and disobeyed my instructions whenever she wished.

“She neither listened to me nor accepted my advice.

“My wife was also violent.

Advertisement

“During disagreements, she attacked me with any dangerous object she could lay her hands on.

“On three different occasions, Aina destroyed my property.

“Our neighbours and friends were not exempt from her hostility.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:Man Jumped To His Death To Avoid Being Caught By Lover’s Husband

She was constantly at loggerheads with them and fought with them on several occasions.

“My wife also turned our children against me.

Advertisement

“They beat me mercilessly and nearly killed me.

“They also destroyed my belongings.

“I left the house after the incident because it became obvious that my wife wanted me dead.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:My Husband Is A Figurehead, I Feed Our Five Children, Pay Their Fees

“I came to court to seek the dissolution of our marriage because my wife’s presence in my life has brought me nothing but pain and suffering.

“I sincerely appeal to the court to dissolve our marriage.

Advertisement

“I also request an order restraining her from threatening me or interfering with my privacy.”

The Court President, Mrs. O. E. Owoseni, while delivering judgment, stated that there was no valid marriage to dissolve because no marital rites were performed, and no bride price was paid.

Owoseni also issued an order restraining the defendant from threatening or interfering with the plaintiff’s private life

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading

Metro

‘I Have Nowhere To Go, He Married Me At 14yrs Old, Now He Wants Divorce 30yrs After’

Published

on

A 44-year-old woman, Zainab Isah, has told a Shari’a Court 1 sitting at Magajin Gari, Kaduna, Kaduna State, that she had nowhere to go after her divorce from her husband, Alhaji Abdulhamid.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Zainab told the court that Abdulhamid married her when she was 14 years old.

“I have been married to him for 30 years now and our union is blessed with 10 children,” she stated.

Advertisement

She further said that her husband divorced her on January 1.

READ ALSO:My Husband Disappeared From Home For Six Years, Left Me, Our Children To Starve — Wife

“I am yet to complete my waiting period (Iddah), as required under Islam.

Advertisement

“I lived in peace with my co-wives but I can’t leave my children for them; three of my children are sick,” she said.

Earlier , Abdulrashid Musa, counsel to Abdulhamid, prayed the court to compel Zainab to leave his house since they were no longer married.

He said he had issued two pronouncement of divorce to the defendant.

Advertisement

READ ALSO:After Divorce, She Became A Tenant In My House —Ex-husband

The first, he said was pronounced on December 29, 2025, adding that she had finished her Iddah.

He stated that all efforts made by him to ensure she leaves his house, failed.

Advertisement

He alleged that she was causing trouble for his other wives.

READ ALSO:My Wife Swore To Kill Me, Stopped Cooking For Me — Husband

The complainant however, told the court that he was ready to pay for his ex wife’s rent when she gets a new place to live with her children.

Advertisement

The judge, Malam Mu’awiya Shehu said the rights of a woman for shelter, feeding and other provisions by the husband ends when divorce occur adding that only the children have the right to be taken care of .

He adjourned the matter to June 1 for the defendant to find a new place she can relocate to with her children.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending